TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finally picked up Resident Evil 2 (the new one), and it is so good. Just got my butt kicked by the eyeball guy.

Also played the first couple missions of Gears 5, aaaand I'm not really feeling it. Then again I haven't really enjoyed any of the GOW games, yet somehow I've played all of them at least a little bit. What's wrong with me.

Chakat sex pillow
    idk man, Gears 5 is pretty good!

I mean, it's not super spesh or anything, it's just a very precisely engineered guns 'n guts third person shooter, like every entry before it. I love the art and world design of it (of course) more than anything - it is facking gorgeuhss. Maybe not as uber-detailed as God of War, but it makes up for that with a rock-solid frame rate thanks to dynamic resolution scaling.

Also, real-time cutscenes + 60 FPS + 1800p + post-effects pipeline with supremely clean image = almost early Dreamworks-level animated movie. In terms of real-time graphical fidelity alone for its cutscenes, I'd say it's remarkable.

Pretty much for those reasons I think I'll get Gears of War 5 once it's come down in price, but only then. I like what I see in videos, but as a game I'm only mildly interested.

In the meantime, I'm now ready for my final(ish) push forward and downward in Subnautica. I've given my Cyclops submarine a nifty paint job, I've named it, and I've installed an espresso maker. I'm all set for Lava World.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't know if I'd want to own it as I'm not too fussed about its multiplayer (it should be a fun 3-player co-op game though), but it's easy to sample it with the Game Pass beta at the moment (still a dollar or two I think for the first month).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Been playing a bunch of stuff.

Stories Untold - A spooky little text-parser-based thing, split into 4 episodes. Initially quite minimalist but it expands in interesting ways as it goes on.

A bunch of sockpop games - I started donating to the sockpop patreon a while ago but really only got around to playing all the games they've released recently. 3rd person climbing/bird collecting game klyd was ok, so was thieving sim pilfer and metroidvania bobo robot. But the standout is bird-sim rook. It's got some really simple but pleasant flying mechanics, coupled with nest-building and hunger-management mechanics to keep you engaged.

Environmental Station Alpha - Very lo-fi metroidvania (kinda similar to Xeodrifter). It's got some cool mechanics tho, including a grapling hook that's powerful but difficult to use. I'm currently 2 hours into this and kinda hooked atm.

Ducktales Remastered - It's Ducktales alright. Eh, not really grabbing me tho.

Darksiders 3 - Yeah, I think I'm enjoying the gameplay more than DS1 (never played DS2), but I'm not sure I'm enjoying it enough to keep going. The checkpoints are sparse and whenever I get set too far back I loose all interest in going on.

The Spy Who Shot Me - a NOLF-alike that's heavily focused on shooting. Very fastpaced and slick retro FPS action, but the story isn't engaging me.

The Spy Who Shrunk Me - a NOLF-alike that's heavily focused on shrinking (and unshrinking) yourself and others. Kinda interesting, but the gameplay isn't doing much for me and the writing is groanworthy.

I've been playing Void Bastards, and crossposted the write up I did on it in its thread.

And speaking of FTL alikes, the other game I've been playing is Crying Suns. This is more a direct almost clone of FTL. It's a lot more cinematic. The pixel art aesthetic is fantastic. Cool music. It comes with a story which, while cool, I think stories aren't really great for roguelikes. It's not like on the 20th time playing it you're going to care about the backstory, and it'd just get in the way. It's almost inviting you to just go through it once. But anyway what counts is the gameplay.

So Crying Suns basically flips the inside and outside of the ship compared to FTL. The stuff happening inside the ship is basically static; you just click the jobs people do. And the outside is a grid where you actually move out units to battle in the field and eventually battle the opposing ship. Otherwise it's the same with the movement from sector to sector, fuel, debris, and bad guys hot on your tail. It doesn't have the same variety in gameplay as FTL, and there isn't a level up sector to sector (each one is a different faction with its different art and tactics, so it's more story development than gameplay development per se).

I'd say it doesn't have the magic that FTL has. But it's still fun to play in its own right as a grid-based pause-able space fighting RTS, and it looks amazing. I'm having fun with it. It probably did itself a disservice inviting people to compare it to FTL when it'd be better off having people take it as its own game.

Been playing Grand Theft Batman (aka. Arkham Knight) with the Epic freebie, and the car can go *bleep* itself. The fact that they forced it so hard makes the game less enjoyable than Arkham Origins. The flashback/story segments with the Joker can be a bit grating, especially when the game decides that you have to spend a biiiit longer staring at whatever the designers thought was amazing or revelatory before you can go on with the actual game. The On Foot sections with fighting, detective work, puzzle solving, platforming etc. are as good as in the other Arkham games, so there's at least that.

So far I'd say Arkham Knight is the weakest game in the Arkham series by far.

Can someone tell me whether Borderlands 3 is anywhere near as funny as #2?

TBH I'm not expecting it to be but it doesn't hurt to ask. Handsome Jack is a hard villain to top

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Been playing Grand Theft Batman (aka. Arkham Knight) with the Epic freebie, and the car can go *bleep* itself. The fact that they forced it so hard makes the game less enjoyable than Arkham Origins. The flashback/story segments with the Joker can be a bit grating, especially when the game decides that you have to spend a biiiit longer staring at whatever the designers thought was amazing or revelatory before you can go on with the actual game. The On Foot sections with fighting, detective work, puzzle solving, platforming etc. are as good as in the other Arkham games, so there's at least that.

So far I'd say Arkham Knight is the weakest game in the Arkham series by far.
    It's also just too damn long. Arkham City ended kind of abruptly just when it seemed like it was starting to get going, so they overcorrected with a plot that climaxes and over and over and over again and refuses to end.

I found Arkham City to be a massive disappointment over Asylum. Far less Metroidvania-ish.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    It's also just too damn long. Arkham City ended kind of abruptly just when it seemed like it was starting to get going, so they overcorrected with a plot that climaxes and over and over and over again and refuses to end.
    The plot's fine, it's about on par with the previous games in how throwaway some of it is, how overworked some more of it is, and how fairly all right everything else is. It's not a masterwork by any means, but it's got a hard nihilistic edge that tells you things are, in fact, ending. Plus the Joker clones angle houses one of the best moments in the entire series. 'You're going to be... spectacular.'

It's only too long if you go after the 200+ Riddler collectibles plus the sidequests and want to see all of that bullshit resolve into the 'true ending' - and frankly, I value my life and time too much to fuck around doing that shit.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 24th Sep 2019 at 04:44.

I think I liked all three of the main Arkham games; they all had bits that annoyed me, but on the whole I found them entertaining and well made.

I've just explored the Lava Castle in Subnautica and am now ready for the final base. (In fact, I found that one before the penultimate one and stood in front of a force field I couldn't open.) Which is good, because as much as I've enjoyed the game I am about ready for it to end. I definitely need at least some plot to get me through survival games; I think I'd tire relatively quickly of survival games that have little or no plot. Which is also why I'm planning to check out The Long Dark once its storyline is done.

I'm also finding that some of Dark Souls 3 is almost comically easy after the previous games. This morning before going to work I breezed through much of the Catacombs of Carthus, happened across the High Lord Wolnir and killed him without even trying. I love the way the boss is introduced and the atmosphere is fantastic, but his weak points couldn't be much more obvious if they had neon signs saying, "Hit *this*!"
    Last edited by Thirith; 24th Sep 2019 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    but it's got a hard nihilistic edge
    I find it more grim dork than having any kind of edge. They're just trying too hard.

Also, some of the DLC included (Arkham Episodes & skins) "spoils" the identity of the Arkham Knight Jason Todd, making the segments with him and his radio messages that much less impactful. Not that you couldn't figure out who it was with all the "You've lost someone"-messages constantly being thrown at you in the story and the Knight's knowledge of Batman and his methods.

Regarding DLC, from a quick glance it does seem that the Epic version includes all of it. If you downloaded the game on the day it was released you may have to update it. But it'll still run just fine without the Launcher.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I find it more grim dork than having any kind of edge. They're just trying too hard.
    I don't mean edge as in edgy, just that the stakes are high and the story reflects that it always was a losing battle (until they backtrack on stuff they shouldn't have).

And yeah, the whole Arkham Knight thing was easily the worst part alongside the forced Batmobile sections.

I've been working through Hollow Knight for the past month or so, and I like it a lot except for the voice acting and the occasional massive spikes in difficulty. So far I always seem to succeed in the end, but it feels like it's getting to the point where I may start giving up. Still, that's like 40 hours in so far, so I can't really complain.

All I've been doing this year is playing indie games on Switch: Stardew Valley, Gato Roboto, Minit, Untitled Goose Game, and then Celeste next. And other games that I've avoided buying in the hope that they would come to Switch, like Return of the Obra Dinn, are in fact getting released. It's turning out to be such a great console.

Try playing through the arena (in Hollow Knight). It will destroy you, but then at the same time make you far better at the game. Or that was my experience with it.

I got through the first two, but I'm not eager to try the third. I'm actually doing pretty good overall; most of the main bosses are done, and I appreciate that it's possible for some of the harder fights to gear up and just tank it and succeed. Reminds me of Dark Souls in that way. I suspect on a repeat playthrough some of this stuff would be a lot easier, but for now it's feeling like definitely one of the more difficult games I've played.

Moderator and Priest

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I found Arkham City to be a massive disappointment over Asylum. Far less Metroidvania-ish.
    Different type of game though, exactly because of that. It is a bit Metroidvania for the the Riddler stuff and some of the side missions though. My big gripe with it is how it locks you into the final section too early and without warning that you can't finish the side missions now or continue the main story.

Finished Stealth Bastard Deluxe (I know, right? I am worse than that guy from XKCD who gets games on a five-year lag!), including the DLC, a few days ago.

The main game is bloody amazing, having struck a near-perfect balance between stealth and speed. It is by no means easy to S-rank a level but once you have got yourself into the right groove, the smooth flow of movement through each level feels almost like dancing. I just wish there were there an option to automatically restart a level (preferably minus the "test starting" screen) upon death, Super Meat Boy style, instead of respawning at a checkpoint - one does have to restart after death while going for S and the restart sequence is rather slow. There may not be much of a story but it is really good too, and the acerbic comments of the eponymous bastard (who one quickly finds out is the controller running the test chambers rather than the player character) have repeatedly made my day.

I wish I could praise the Teleporter Chambers DLC as well but alas, I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much. It's not that it is bad, quite the opposite - some of the puzzles are fiendishly clever and having mastered solving them opens a whole new set of possibilities for main-campaign levels (you do get to play with teleporters there too, they just take time to unlock and one cannot achieve the S rank with any equipment active). The problem is, the way equipment controls are in general and the way key bindings have been defined in particular makes meeting S-rank time requirements of these level require the levels of uber micro typically associated with seriously hardcode RTS players and which I do not like being forced to practise. If only there were a way to, I don't know, handle throwing and teleporting using the mouse instead of the same keys as for movement control... As things are, after a few attempts I gave up trying for rank S on any of the DLC levels. Pity that means I'll never get to play X1-9 and X2-9 - but whatever.

I've gone and finished Subnautica... though, truth to tell, I did cheat a bit there towards the end. It started with a certain key not being readily available, and I would've had to return to my base roughly 10 minutes away just to fabricate another key, and then there were various other things that needed crafting where I would've simply gone and revisited placed I'd already been to many, many times - so I activated the console command that made crafting require no materials. This sort of gameplay at the end of a game, being sent to various locations I'd already been to in order to do things that I've already done, it's not exactly what I play games for. The developers try to make it easier by allowing you quick travel to key spots, but it's still something of an anticlimax at the end of the game. Which is a shame, because the plot points towards the end are memorable. It's just the gameplay that resorts to busywork of the kind that you've already done a lot. I'd still very much recommend the game (though I wish they'd optimised the VR version better) and I'm looking forward to Below Zero... eventually.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm having fun with Void Bastards. I can see it getting old eventually, with some of the samey layouts, and the fact that I rarely change my approach from ship to ship (Go to helm, get map, locate oxygen, get items, leave). But I still get that cool uncomfortable feeling each time I board a ship, not being exactly sure what is behind the first door or two or what or who I will run into. I really wish sneaking was more integral to the gameplay, that would definitely be more my style. But the game is still fun. It does feels like the map just goes on and on and on without getting anywhere though, I'd prefer more main objectives that are closer together. I'm still looking for that damn ID card after like 7 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Different type of game though, exactly because of that. It is a bit Metroidvania for the the Riddler stuff and some of the side missions though. My big gripe with it is how it locks you into the final section too early and without warning that you can't finish the side missions now or continue the main story.
    You can once it's done, though.

Slowly getting back into The Outer Wilds. It's definitely the kind of game where you should stay at it; if, like me, you play it for a bit, then play other games, then return to it, the game falls apart somewhat, even though it's got a very cool way of jotting down notes for you that should be adopted by way more titles.

Currently replaying System Shock 1, in honor of it's 25 year anniversary.

Page 531 of 535 FirstFirst ... 31281431481486491496501506511516521526527528529530531532533534535 LastLast