TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Finished up all the Achievements in Into the Breach. Had a really rough time with Lightning War, in which you have to use the Blitzkrieg team and beat the first two islands in less than 30 minutes. Speed-running is not how I play this game!

So, with all Achievements completed, I've finally unlocked the Secret Squad! ...It's shit. Well, I'll give it a try, and look for the last Secret Pilot while I'm at it. I'm very close to having seen all there is to see, and the missions are once again getting a bit repetitive.

Before starting over with Heaven's Vault I played There The Light, a casual walk in pleasant surroundings. It was... nice. There's not much more to say than that. It's like a music video for some pop trifle or other, not necessarily unpleasant while it lasted, but forgettable when it's over ("goes into one ear and comes out the other"). I got it in a sale and, for the price I paid, I don't regret playing it; there are worse ways to kill 2 hours, but, then again, there are also better ways. You won't be missing out by never playing There The Light.

The whole thing feels like a proof of concept while learning the ropes. Might be worth keeping an eye on their future work, because the potential is there, but they need to step up puzzle design and/or story tellling -- and/or the exploration -- for it to be worth recommending. The environments were competently built and nothing really stood out as bad. It was... nice.

Edit:
    I was going to compare it to The Witness, because of the art style, but the comparison would be totally unfair; the latter is superior in every way, but also ten times as expensive.
    Last edited by qolelis; 17th Oct 2019 at 13:42.

I still can't get enough of Dirt Rally... especially now that I "discovered" something that I really should have done a long time ago.

Turn off all the damn driving assists. ABS, stability control, and if you're not feeling comfortable, disable traction control at least. To be honest, I had kind of forgotten that they even exist, even though it was pretty damn obvious that I had them enabled. I thought that they'd be essential when playing with a gamepad. I disabled them all, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it only took me a little while to get used to a slightly different driving style. Turning traction control off especially was the best thing I ever did in this game - driving without it feels so much smoother and much faster! Admittedly some cars are a bit harder to drive now, the Group B real-wheel drive beasts are proper death traps now, but then again they were like that in real life too...

This may sound like some elitist crap, but I'm still not even pretending to be a great driver. I still lose by quite a margin against the best drivers online, but I'm getting much closer now. And hey, yesterday I set the fastest time on one Monaco stage in the monthly event so far! The very best drivers haven't even started the event yet, and they'll most likely beat my time quite easily, but this was still the proudest moment in my Dirt Rally career so far.

Manifold Garden has been released. In my mind I'm already playing it (being true to the thread title). HV might have to wait.

Edit:
    MG is pretty great, now that I'm actually playing it. The only thing I could complain about is the lack of jumping, which I would say is part of the absolute bare minimum together with walking and sprinting. Being able to switch the direction of gravity does the same thing, but it still gets a little ridiculous when you're stopped by a tiny ledge and have to switch gravity just to get over it. I'm getting used to it, though (you could also say I'm... getting over it).
    Last edited by qolelis; 20th Oct 2019 at 22:30.

Tonight, I had a play of the best game that I've played so far on the Nintendo DS. Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime. With a name like that, doesn't sound like much, and so I expected as well. Then I played it, and on getting into the gameplay it gave me a similar gameplay feel to that of The Legend of Zelda - A link to the Past. Though your far more limited in moves you can do, as your a slime ball. But you can attack enemies via torpedoing at them, so it has that. And that's about it.

I was just hooked from the get go (once I got to the actual gameplay). Really fun game. And then later on, you get a massive tank robot mech-like thing and get to take part in robot vs robot battles, with you needing to transport ammo to your weapons to fire, then when you get the opponents health down enough have to race inside their robot and take out it's engine core. This adds some RPG-ish elements since you can upgrade up the robot with better health and ammo, pick the crew to accompany you, who all have unique abilities etc.

On top of all that, you have the task to rescue all your fellow slimeball's, who then go back to town and as you rescue more opens up new sections of it. So you have the mentality of trying to find all the slimeballs in the dungeons. Some are super tricky to find.

For a game about a slime ball (who is usually the first enemy you fight in the standard Dragon Quest games), there is a surprising depth to it all. I find it very enjoyable, as you have bits of action games, RPGs and puzzle games. All works nicely. I'd highly recommend this one.

Moderator and Priest
    You know what I'm playing?

I'm playing "Learning How To Use A Trackball." It's a fun game where I spend a whole bunch of money to try something new. So far, it's been pretty goofy and weird, though it does have promise.

My first trackball was Missile Command. Even when mice started becoming ubiquitous, my parents were using trackballs, and therefore so did I.

Moderator and Priest
    It's actually not all that difficult to use. Just two hours in, and I'm already feeling more comfortable and precise with it.

My biggest issue with my trackball right now is hitting stuff that's far away from my cursor as quickly as I can with a mouse. I usually overshoot, and end up having to readjust a bit. Though on the flipside of that, it's great for making fine adjustments. It's easier to twitch your thumb to make a minute movement than it is doing the same with your whole wrist.

Good choice Renz, I've been using trackball for months now, wouldn't go back to mouse. Both casual use and stuff like modeling is easier on the palm/wrist, and it allows you to have more precision, mostly because you can decouple clicking a mouse button from cursor movement.

Despite the mediocre reviews, I'm having a lot of fun with Days Gone. Maybe its just because I love "End Of the World" settings. Combined with an open world format, that's kind of a dangerous mix for killing my free time.

There's a lot of stealth gameplay here. Zombie AI are in abundance, so you pretty much have to get sneaky. Especially with some of hordes that travel around, which is basically a parade of about 100 undead moving at the same time in the same direction. Pretty frightening. The environment is great, a very wooded and mountainous Oregon. Lots of terrain to maneuver through and around. And riding through it all on a motorcycle makes it even sweeter.

Most of the reviews say it gets too repetitive, so maybe I'll get to that point. I can see it coming, but I haven't got there yet. In a way, it's a poor man's Last of Us (mainly with gameplay, not story, the story in Days Gone is pretty weak). It also reminds of some of the stealthier parts of Rise of the Tomb Raider. But right now it's just fun exploring every corner of the map, collecting supplies, and opening up the map.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Good choice Renz, I've been using trackball for months now, wouldn't go back to mouse. Both casual use and stuff like modeling is easier on the palm/wrist, and it allows you to have more precision, mostly because you can decouple clicking a mouse button from cursor movement.
    Strangely enough, the one thing I specifically bought it for is the one thing that still feels strange to me. I'm doing a number of things to help speed along my readjustment period, editing text, playing games, goofing around on the internet. Normal computery stuff basically, though performed in concentrated bursts. I've acclimated surprisingly quickly to all of these, and have actually come to prefer it in a number of ways. When you're making little adjustments, it's surprising how much it helps being able to lift your finger off the thing that moves your cursor when clicking your mouse buttons. There's no risk of accidental bumps to fret over.

This is probably due to the time spent with my Steam controller, which, for games anyway, is like a less exacting version of this. I've been tearing things up in Alan Wake like I've been using a trackball for years now. Also, using an MS Sculpt Ergonomic mouse helped a bit too, since it's also a big fat sumbitch you have to wrap your whole hand around.

Though I still haven't quite come to terms with it in Blender yet. This is probably due to its multi-button mouse comboed hotkeys, and swishy movements, but it still feels fiddly and weird to me. It's not a gamebreaker or anything, but it's thrown me for a loop.

The thing I like best about trackballs compared to mice is that you never reach the edge of the mousepad.

On my second playthrough of Heaven's Vault now. Still as captivating. So many branches to explore, but also play styles and loyalties to choose from. I do wish I could skip through scenes or sites sometimes to get to the new, but there are also small choices here and there that can make you approach a site/scene -- that you already know from a previous playthrough -- from a different angle. There are also choices in one part that can open up new dialogue trees in other parts, so skipping through could make you miss new opportunities.

The cutscenes and scripted scene transitions are still annoying at times, but I'm learning to just sit through them, maybe taking the chance to reflect.

I've basically 100%'d Into the Breach at this point. All the achievements, all the squads (including the secret one), all the pilots (including the secret ones). Took a custom squad (Laser Mech, Siege Mech, Swap Mech+Mantis Pilot) through an all-island run at Hard difficulty and just about smoked it (had some trouble in RST as the third island - should've never tried the Volatile Vek mission, I know that one's always trouble but I figured, eh, nevermind).

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    The thing I like best about trackballs compared to mice is that you never reach the edge of the mousepad.
    It's the perfect device for the clinically lazy. You just slap your hand down on it, and occasionally wiggle your fingers!

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It's the perfect device for the clinically lazy.
    Ah, that explains it.
    I've been using a trackball since 1999 or so. For work, for leisure and for gaming.

The big benefit of a trackball is that it is a lot less stressing on your body. CTS/RSI (whatever you call it in your country). With a mouse, when you make those small movements, you move not only the mouse, but also your: fingers, hand, wrist, elbow, arm and shoulders. Even the muscles in your back and neck will be involved. And because the movements are small (but precise) it can be very stressing on all those parts. When I started gaming (on top of sitting behind a mouse/keyboard/monitor for work 8 hours a day), everything started to hurt. A trackball allows you to move only your fingers (and part of your hand maybe). Your wrist, arm, shoulders can be totally still. In fact, if you practice a little, you can learn to have completely relaxed arms and shoulders while using the trackball. I never have problems with CTS/RSI types of pain anymore. I've had a few friends and colleagues also switch to a trackball, with good results.

One thing I also did: I use my trackball with my left hand. While I am right-handed. I believe this spreads the strain over both my hands/arms/shoulders more, helping to prevent CTS/RSI. I do think that means my aim is a bit worse than if I would use my right-hand for the trackball. But who cares ? I'm not playing real FPS-games, I'm not playing competitively. So having only 90% aim is good enough for me. (I'm using a (PS4-)controller at the moment to play GTAV. Now that is painful aim ! (When auto-aim isn't working)).

Judith, Renz, are you using a trackball that is operated with your thumb or with your 3 middle fingers ? (I use a finger-operated one. Symmetrical).

Moderator and Priest
    I'm using this big thumb operated bastard right here. I considered a finger operated trackball, but I realized I'm far more used to twiddling my thumbs for movement, and didn't want to push myself too far out of my comfort zone.

My biggest complaint about Into the Breach is one of the level abilities. There's four possible abilities a pilot gets from making a level, three of which are very nice and roughly even, and one of which is 97% useless and more than a little annoying when you get it. "YAY I leveled up and got - oh frick nevermind."

Into the Breach was an odd one for me, I really wanted to like it, and did play a fair few hours, but it just didnt have the "one more go" feeling that FTL had.

I finished Disco Elysium over the weekend, and while the very end was a bit underwhelming, there was a moment in the overall ending that was absolutely beautiful and pretty much unlike anything I've experienced in games (though I understand better now why some compared this to Kentucky Route Zero - there's some of the same kind of magic). All in all, this is probably my favourite RPG since Fallout New Vegas, and I wish there were more games in its vein that left out the RPG combat, turned it into something more narrative or at least reduced it so it's 95% about the characters and the storytelling.

Currently playing a few games:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - As previously mentioned. This game so wants to be The Witcher 3. It lacks the depth of that though. I personally prefer Origins over it, but it's still super addictive and fun to play.

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - First game I picked up for the Switch. Man this games addictive. Excellent game so far from what I've seen of it. What's the point of all the outfits you can buy? Seems to be just cosmetic, like in GTA.

The 13th Doll - A Fan Game of the 7th Guest - So the title says it all. It's a fan sequel to the 7th Guest and the 11th Hour. In honor of Halloween I went to play it last night, since it released yesterday. And this resulted:

So that plans gone. So I went with Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 instead:

I just absolutely adore Silent Hill 2. From it's opening cinematic, the start in the bathroom, the music, the enemies. I just love everything about it. To me it is a perfect game, and I completely get that I'm biased but I just love it. Played from the start to about midway through the Apartments so far.

Biased how? It's a top 5 game for me.

Well its since I feel that the game is perfect. I just love everything in it.

Double post:

And in less than 24 hours, a patch was released for the 13th Doll which allows everything to work fine now (or so far that I've seen):

So I've pumped QUITE a few hours into this.

The good:

* It recaptures the feel of 7th Guest and the 11th hour
    * The FMVs are great
    * Music when you hear it is good
    * Devilish-y hard puzzles, which is what you expect in a game like this
    * They got the original actor for Stauff back. And he's excellent in it. Props to the devs. Big big props.
    * Choice of 2 playable characters. Possibly branching paths of gameplay, though I've not played as the 2nd character yet.

The bad:

* They have the worst maze that I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing in a first person game. And there is no friggin auto-map. It took me something like 20-30 minutes to get through it. Fucking horrible. If I wasn't a die hard 7th Guest fanatic, I'd have quit the game right there.
    * Not enough music. Quite a few areas with just silence.
    * They went with standard movement in the Mansion. So you walk via WASD. I'd have FAR preferred the click to move to specific position style movement, as done in the 7th Guest and the 11th Hour.

So from what I've seen and played so far, the game is excellent IF your a fan of the previous 2 games. If you've not played those then don't play it. The majority of the experience will be completely lost on you. Combine that with a horrible first person maze, and this is a game only for the fans of the franchise. Seeing Stauff back in action again though. So good . This is why I love Kickstarter. It's what I seek most on there. From Shadowrun Returns to Satelite Reign. It's all about getting the sequels / spiritual successors that we'd NEVER have got otherwise.

That's got to be the most tedious gameplay video that I've ever seen though... I mean, come on, the guy spends almost two hours trying to solve that spider puzzle!

Oh hang on, that's your youtube channel isn't it? Oops! You really like those old school FMV games, don't you?

Page 533 of 537 FirstFirst ... 33283433483488493498503508513518523528529530531532533534535536537 LastLast