TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 537 of 537 FirstFirst ... 37287437487492497502507512517522527532533534535536537
Results 13,401 to 13,425 of 13425

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Chakat sex pillow
    Nope. 1 PM, not 1 AM. Yeah, I'll allow a party pooper joke. Go for it.

Moderator and Priest
    Party bowl mover.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just played through Rain of Reflections: Chapter 1. It came out a few months ago but I don't think it's gotten a lot of coverage. It's a mixture of turn-based tactics (with a focus on stealth), hacking minigames, and Quantic Dream-style adventure game.

The turn-based tactics and hacking minigame gameplay are good stuff, and the visuals are great, but the rest of the presentation leaves something to be desired. Emotionless voiceacting, stiff character animations, and a short runtime. Took me ~3 hours to play through the whole thing. Still, it's on sale for 5 right now, and at that price it's definitely worth picking up. I think it might be right up a lot of TTLGers alley.

Quick little observation. Playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the first time in a long, long time and the intestines level was giving me serious System Shock 2 Body of the Many vibes. I wondered if it got the idea from SS2, but ZOoT was 1997 and SS2 was 1998, so looks like the influence went in the other direction. It's possible it was coincidental and convergent evolution, but it looks like one inspired the other. Interesting thing to notice anyway.
    Last edited by demagogue; 27th Dec 2019 at 17:09.

The Body of the Many was textured after a team member's colonoscopy video, so it's probably more a case of intestines tending to looking alike.

After 272 hours of gameplay I've FINALLY 100% completed every quest and all the DLC content for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I started playing this game around August / September. So that's 3-4 months worth of gameplay. Dayam. The DLC content alone adds a few weeks worth. I'm a completionist, hence the long play time.

So I went into this game REALLY loving Origins for it's unique angle, of the lone warrior from a dead order, helping people and exploring the Egyptian world. This game does not have that, though exploration is a huge part of it. Despite my love of Origins, considering the mammoth amount of content in this game, I have to concede that Odyssey is the best AC game of all time. The story is excellent (especially the first DLC), there is just so much to do in this game that it's mind boggling.

Origins felt like it was trying to bring in a bit of the Witcher 3 into things, but still felt like an AC game. Odyssey is even more Witcher 3-ish, but lacks the knock on effect of choices that the Witcher has. There are different outcomes to your choices, but it is only in a few bits. And it's more just if someone lives, dies, or someone you sleep with (of both sexes). Several of the chain quests are quite interesting. The one's concerning the Minotaur were my favorite of the side quests. I found hunting for cultists to be quite fun. Some required doing side quests, some via exploration, some via main quests and some via sailing. A good mix. The side characters were all great and well voiced. Music is quite good, though nothing I'd put in my playlist.

I found stealth to be my favorite way of doing things. Especially once I got the ghost arrow attack ability, which allows attacking through walls with unlimited ammo (once you level it up). Though you need to wait for your adrenaline meter to recharge. Using Ikaros (your pet eagle) to do drop attacks on targets was super handy as well. There is just so much going on with this game. The DLC starts REALLY good, with emotional hooks that even the main campaign doesn't have. Then it's off to the Atlantis realms, and the gameplay changes up a bit per realm your in and hooks into the main story of what's going on outside of the animus a fair bit. Gives more depth to it, which was good.

The final quest is a bit of a let down, as it's over in like 2 minutes and then it just returns to normal gameplay. No credits, no nothing. So I just sat around for a few minutes expecting something else to happen but nope. To be fair, leading up to that quest and prior to me doing the DLC content, there was a heap of quests centered around saying goodbye to people. It'd just been a long while since I'd done the goodbye quests, then off to the DLC for a good long while, and then back to the main world. A bit of a disconnect after so long in there. A bit like stepping out of the Matrix (or animus).

For as good as this game is, and it was excellent, I'd never play it again. Why? Because of it's length. 4 months. Now fair enough, I could skip all the side quests on another play through. But then I'd not get all the cultists, which is your primary goal in the game. This game was too long if anything. Another important aspect is that it didn't feel like an Assassin's Creed game AT ALL. Origins has this exact same issue as well. Origins at least ties into Assassin related stuff in the DLC. This game does not at all.

For parallels of what I'd compare these games to. AC Origins to me felt like the 70s TV show "Kung Fu" (of a warrior monk that travels the land helping people), and Origins felt like Hercules (the live action one) but with a strong Conan angle of bloodlust.

For future AC games, I hope that Ubisoft goes for more shorter games. Besides Odyssey and Origins, all other AC games could be completed in a month. Max. Now that I've 100% beaten the game, I'm going to feel very disconnected for the next few weeks me thinks. I get that feeling every time I complete a really long game. So annoying. But then I enjoy long games too, so I can't win.

9/10
    Last edited by icemann; 28th Dec 2019 at 23:17.

@Ice, you mean you're conceding Odyssey is the best? Well the rest of your post is saying that so I take it that's a little slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    it's probably more a case of intestines tending to looking alike.
    That too but I was thinking more in terms of level design -- doors were sphincters, floating enemies, shooting distant flesh knobs to make progress, z-axis design, swimming play in pools of uh whatever... It's a similar point though. Once you have the idea for a setting, the gameplay kind of writes itself the same way even if it's independently done (although I still wonder here. It just takes a glance for an idea to stick). Reminds me of that period when it seemed like a lot of games suddenly started having levels in plague zones.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    That too but I was thinking more in terms of level design -- doors were sphincters, floating enemies, shooting distant flesh knobs to make progress, z-axis design, swimming play in pools of uh whatever... It's a similar point though.
    Yeah, apparently doors being sphincters was also inspired by the colonoscopy video in SS2 and there's not a lot of design options once you go in that direction... No wonder that level looked like ass.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    @Ice, you mean you're conceding Odyssey is the best? Well the rest of your post is saying that so I take it that's a little slip.
    Correct. Fixed. My bad.

There was also a rather colon-y level in DMC3, keeping that theme going...

A coincidence that I'm just now playing System Shock 2 after all these years. I know now the colon of which you speak. The sphincter head monster bares mentioning too.

Tried to play Frozen Cortex, hit a bunch of errors trying to set up an account and connect to the server, then got unceremoniously dropped by the server while playing the tutorial. No patience for that.

So instead I'm playing Druidstone: Secret of Menhir Forest by the Legend of Grimrock team. Nothing like the Grimrock games, this is a turn-based tactical fantasy RPG. I like the combat and upgrade/leveling systems. The missions have been a lot of fun so far. It annoys me that enemy special abilities aren't listed in their descriptions. The dialogs are generally too long.

Picked up Ion Fury, played for about 2 hours now. It's fun, it has a genuine old school feel. My only complaint is that sometimes enemies are shooting at you from so far away, you can't even see them (or barely can). Slightly annoying. And the enemy AI is really terrible, their pathfinding is as dumb as it gets and they get caught in corners on a regular basis and can't get out (maybe that's intentional?) Despite all that, it's a good time, definitely sticking with it.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for henke to start up the annual "Best Games of 2019" thread. Feels like we usually see it mid December. He must be busy making games or something.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well I was playing Jedi Fallen Order, but I don’t think it’ll make it into my top ten, so sure, I’ll try to whip up a thread.

With Odyssey done, I'm having a break from long games for a while.

Currently re-playing Super Castlevania IV on the Super Nintendo:

As far as pure 2D platformers go, this is one of the best. Controls are excellent, with the 8 direction whip attacks and fluid movement, I just love it. The music too. God Dayam.

Finished off Silent Hill 2 yesterday. That game is just outstanding. The ending is quite emotional as well. Fantastic game, that the rest of the franchise attempted to recapture but failed, as I can't see how you could recapture all that made it so good.

I played Life is Strange: Before the Storm, since I enjoyed the original game, but my PC won't run LiS 2 comfortably, so I thought I'd play the prequel.

I had a good time with it. People said about the original LiS that the dialogues were unrealistic. It's been too long since I played it, but with Before the Storm, I thought the dialogues were pretty realistic to be honest. I mean I know I'm autistic so I'm not the greatest judge on what constitutes normal social behavior, but I never cringed because of dialogue I considered crappy. Some minor cringe moments because Chloe is such a contrarian emo-type, but that's just her character. Maybe others have a different opinion, but I thought the dialogues were well done. I mean a movie like Juno won all sorts of prizes and people in that movie talk like no real living person ever - compared to that Before the Storm has very believable dialogue.

What I also liked that the responses you can choose aren't written out completely like they were in the old LucasArts adventures, but Chloe always more or less says what I expected and wanted her to say. I hate it in games when I choose a response, but the character says something completely different than what I expected and wanted, or in a different tone of voice, like far more aggressive than I intended. That didn't happen here, thankfully. I also liked the consistency in cutscenes, Chloe always wears the clothing I chose, and minor details like which graffiti I chose, the color of the light bulb in the car and Chloe's facial bruise as a result of my actions are also correctly shown during cutscenes. I like that kind of attention to detail.

The facial emotions of the characters were good, but lip movements/syncing was less than stellar. And it has some minor animation flaws, like people dancing don't look very convincing, it looks more like limb flailing.

Puzzles are very easy but this isn't the type of game that should have hard puzzles like retro adventures like Thimbleweed have. I liked the choices I had to make, some made me think long and hard, but more on the moral level than the intellectual level. The backtalk minigame where you have to win arguments is okay, sometimes it feels a little forced but the difficulty is about right, I won about half of them.

The bonus episode is pretty short but sweet, but I must say, in that episode, where Chloe and Max are much younger, they seem a little too wise for their age.

8/10

Edit: wait, one character did made me cringe a couple of times - the play director who talks like a Shakespeare character. Didn't seem very believable to me.
    Last edited by Harvester; 1st Jan 2020 at 14:52.

I've not played Before the Storm, and that's mainly because while I came to like Life is Strange by the end, I never really warmed to the writing. To my mind, it's not about whether the dialogues are *realistic*, it's about whether they're well-written (Shakespeare didn't write dialogue that any real living person ever would've uttered, but he wrote *well*), and LiS' dialogues rarely felt well-written. Earnest, perhaps, especially in combination with some of the voice acting, and that ended up carrying a lot of the weight for me, but something can be stylised and stylish, snappy, smart, witty etc. or it can be clunky and ham-fisted, and LiS largely fell into the latter camp for me. So whether characters talk "like no real living person ever" is something that I find pretty irrelevant to whether the writing works for me, unless the writing aims for realism or naturalism.

I'm playing Mutazione, "[a] mutant soap opera where small-town gossip meets the supernatural". Discovering gems like this is one reason I'm into gaming at all. I can see elements of Kentucky Route Zero in there (it has a similar mystic vibe going on), as well as sort of Night in The Woods (although I haven't played that one myself yet), and some of the more whimsically endearing titles like Samorost or Frog Detective.

Also got drawn into Oversea∞, a set of four interactive art installations, or "digital poems".

Then there was the demo for Stardrop, a traditional 3D adventure in space, but kind of uninspired; mostly about going around a space ship, finding locked doors and keycodes while getting bits of story. Some elements of sneaking, some rudimentary puzzles, but mostly a keyhunt. I wasn't entirely uninvested in the story, but I don't know if that alone makes it worth paying for the full game. The reviews are good, though, so maybe the demo isn't doing it full justice.
    Last edited by qolelis; 3rd Jan 2020 at 07:52.

I'm slow playing Red Dead Redemption 2. No use giving an opinion this early, but here are some early impressions anyway. The world is fantastic, characters are very credible, the gameplay is functional, the story is better than GTAV, the flow is kind of railroaded so far (no pun intenteded), but I haven't really ventured off to explore yet.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's not like you have the option to fast play it, anyhoo! While I suppose that's a criticism, I find myself in the surprising position of liking how measured and unhurried the entire thing is. It's almost meditative, lolling around the land and having easy conversations and getting into difficult situations, just trolling around and bumping into the next new thing or person or contextual event around the corner. This is good partly, I suppose, because I love breathing in detail, and they've put in all these unnecessary odds and ends all over the place that end up enriching the world all the same. It's a nice game to marinate in as long as you accept how restrictive some of its things can be in the context of verisimilitude. But again, I find I don't mind that I can, for instance, only carry so many pelts - it makes a certain sort of tactile sense in the game.

Though, yeah, some of its things are fairly irritating/stupid. The controls are stoopid: one time, I wanted to shift focus onto an NPC who I'd saved from bandits, ended up aiming my gun at him, and he went 'OH SO THAT'S HOW IT IS, TINKERBELL? NOW DIE, YOU PISS-RIDDEN MANGE URCHIN'. Lost my goddamn hat in that fight. 'course, I could magick it back off my horse, but these folks just don't have them scruples. It's the kind of thing that makes me go, 'yeah, these controls aren't particularly a benchmark for common sense.'

Still, though. Those forests. Those canyons. That fog. Everything's forgivable when you gallop into that pea soup and all you can hear is the night closing in around you, alone but for the steady beat of your horse's hooves on the earth. It's a special thing.

Yeah, the slowness of RDR2 is something I love about the game. I'm fine with being forced to slow down, because I think it fits the story, characters and world. What I would absolutely criticise is the mission design and how restrictive it is, and while I don't think the controls are quite as nonsensical as you do, Sulphur, they definitely could've done with another iteration or five. But the slowness is something we so rarely get in games and it fits so well here.

Today I decided to give The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening on the Switch a go, and this by far is the best game that I've played on the switch so far. I've played so far:

* Pokemon - Let's Go Eeevee! - Played for 10 minutes. Not played since.
    * Super Mario Odyssey - Played for a couple of hours, then not played since.

For Link's Awakening, I FINALLY have a game that I'd actually sit and play for several hours, then come back to later and spend even more hours on. I quite like the Gameboy original, but this is far superior. Gameplay is better, there's more content in it, and it's just a better game. I should note though, that they COMPLETELY ripped off Dungeon Maker on the PSP with the dungeon making mini-game that's in it. It's not exactly the same, but it's really close. Though I guess it's like the Candy Crush situation, where someone else had already made that game (Candy Swipe), but not many people played. So along comes Nintendo and rips it off for a far larger audience that's none the wiser.

Anyways it's the best game that I've played on the Switch so far. If Y's - Lacrimosa of Dana ever gets to around $40 on Ebay (cheapest I've seen it go for is $60 so far), then that I'd pump a heap of time into. As it stands, I already have 3 of the 8 music instruments needed to finish the game. And that's only from around 3-6 hours of play. So a quick game. Very much enjoying it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    * Super Mario Odyssey - Played for a couple of hours, then not played since.
    This is actually a great game, you should give it another go.

Moderator and Priest
    What Brethren said. Odyssey is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    This is actually a great game, you should give it another go.
    I got it for Christmas, and wholly agree.
    spoiler:
    The Darker Side of the Moon is tormenting me, though.

Page 537 of 537 FirstFirst ... 37287437487492497502507512517522527532533534535536537