TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Warhammer on consoles

Warhammer on consoles

I loved Warhammer years back when i discovered it. I never got an opportunity to really dive into it because of the high investment (all the characters and paint), and now they have released warhammer on the consoles. Have any of you, who liked the board game, played the new console version? Is it any good or should i evade it like the plague?

Well, I've never had more more than a slight interest in the tabletop game, not that it's too geeky. It just always seemed that I had better things to do.

I've always been fascinated by the 40K universe. I eventually came across Firewarrior and thought it was pretty good, though most thought it was a flaming pile of shit.

Firewarrior I found to be pretty accurate with the unit strengths, As a T'au you can mop up the imperial guard(i think) but the space marines are lethal.

Dawn of War would be just like the tabletop game(inskirmish imo) if it wasn't for gobshites rushing FTW.

As with all the games, lots of effort went into making the atmosphere as authentic as possible. But its really up to you as to wether it's good or not.

If you're talking Fire Warrior, it's an FPS, and it wasn't received so well by game critics.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...sp?q=warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeast
    Dawn of War would be just like the tabletop game(inskirmish imo) if it wasn't for gobshites rushing FTW.
    Heh, trying to pass that off as truth on the official DoW forum would net you a couple of pages of flames. It's close enough for me (though they left out the Tyranids ) and a fun game.

Can't remember hearing much good about Fire Warrior though.

Taking a break
    Firewarrior is laugh for anyone who knows even little bit about 40k universe. One Tau slaughtering tens of Space Marines? Nigga, please.
    As for DoW, I like how fast-paced(Fast-paced for an RTS, so "OMGWTF") it is.
    About the Warhammer, it's RTS made for console by japanese company. I don't think it will work. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki
    Firewarrior is laugh for anyone who knows even little bit about 40k universe. One Tau slaughtering tens of Space Marines? Nigga, please.
    Fair one. Though with the story and the atmosphere I thought was ok.

And bear in mind it was a playstation game(i think it was ported to the pc,not sure). The graphics were great at the time and it paved the way for the likes of Killzone.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti
    Heh, trying to pass that off as truth on the official DoW forum would net you a couple of pages of flames
    They were too busy masturbating over a 15 sided di to really give the games much of a chance.

I myself was dissapointed with the lack of T'au, I can understand thier absence in the main campaign but it would have been nice for skirmish. I know there is a great mod out but I'm not sure if it's compatible with GotY Dawn of War. And IIRC the same team are doing a tyrinid mod.

BANNED
    I used to play Warhammer 40k:Fire Warrior online w/my PS2. It's fun and all, but nothing to RUN out and buy. I'd equate the gameplay/graphics/experience equal to Iron Storm. Other than that, I heard there are a couple old RTS (?) games on the 1st Playstation. Never tried 'em though.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki
    ...it's RTS made for console by japanese company. I don't think it will work. At all.
    Not played Kingdom Under Fire then? Wait, that's Korean. Damn. You win.

ive never even seen the 40k universe in action. Back in '96 when i first played warhammer, i was only exposed to the original. I still dream about it, and that original version is what i'm talking about...wasn't there a console version released and if there was, was it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeast
    And bear in mind it was a playstation game(i think it was ported to the pc,not sure). The graphics were great at the time and it paved the way for the likes of Killzone.
    There is a PC version of it. A local store has a copy of it but I am waiting for it to hit the $10 cheapy bins based on it's reputation in reviews. Currently they want NZ$40 for it....

Did anyone play the old Space Hulk games? I got one in a double-pack with System Shock, but for some reason I never got around to playing it.

is Best Pony
    I played the original on my Amiga, and it was pretty good. Sadly, I just missed out on Vengeance of the Blood Angels when I upgraded to a PC

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Banksie
    There is a PC version of it. A local store has a copy of it but I am waiting for it to hit the $10 cheapy bins based on it's reputation in reviews. Currently they want NZ$40 for it....

OUCH!!! EB sells it for $5 new here in Ohio. Been meaning to pick it up, actually, since I retired my PS2.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Tried out the WH40K FPS from 2003, Firewarrior. It's rough man, very much a Poor Man's Halo. Definitely feels like the developer was short on budget and/or time. This feels very much like "another Red Faction", i.e. a FPS that feels far less technically impressive than even Half-Life 1.

The Tau have exaggerated Asian accents for whatever reason, like Mickey Rooney from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

The guns are inaccurate with a lot of spread, leaving auto-aim on is the best even for mouse users.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 12th Jul 2019 at 22:09.

That game is terrible. I remember trying it out back it was first released.

I'd be curious on peoples favorite Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k) games. For me:

1. Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
    2. Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising
    3. Warhammer - Age of Reckoning - I really enjoyed this MMO. Had better PvP than WoW back at the time.
    4. Space Hulk (the 90s one)
    5. Shadow of the Horned Rat - A Warhammer Fantasy RTS game, with you up against the Skaven.

I'd put another 5 to make it a top 10, but I can't recall that many other Warhammer games that I've played, despite being a HUGE fan of the Warhammer universe.

The Vermintide and Dawn of War series.

Dawn of War was what made me a fan of Warhammer in the first place.

I think I'll have to agree with you that Dark Crusade is the best one, though I preferred the hand-crafted singleplayer campaigns in the earlier games to the repetitive Risk-style maps. I did like the Dark Eldar in Soulstorm, but Dark Crusade was better.

Dawn of War 2 wasn't bad, but the gameplay got a bit repetitive. Amusing to play co-op though.

Vermintide 1 and 2 are awesome games. I haven't played the first one since the second one came out, though I suspect it was actually the better game in some ways.

I've also played Space Hulk: Deathwing, but while the atmosphere was top-notch, it wasn't really that much fun. Being a hulking, slow-moving Terminator isn't actually that enjoyable.

I don't think I've played any other Warhammer games.

I'm with you 100% on Dawn of War. The vanilla campaign + Winter Assault had great story filled content. Dark Crusade had the best gameplay, which is why it won out. And if you look to how Winter Assault ended, with that massive battle against the Necrons, to pickup where that left off in Dark Crusade was just brilliant. They made the Necron's bad ass. And if you look at practically every other Warhammer 40k game out there, Chaos nearly always was the focus. Not Dark Crusade .

I've only played the tutorial bit in Space Hulk - Deathwing. The game TBH felt more like a mod or a TC for some other game. Just felt....unfinished. Like if you play the 90s Space Hulk that felt polished. It's not a great game either mind, but I dunno, it just felt more done.

I'm still waiting on that singleplayer Warhammer RPG experience. Closest we got to that was Age of Reckoning, if you stuck to just doing the solo quests.

[edit]
    I almost forgot about the HeroQuest game that came out in the 90s. I didn't mind that. Could have used a save system. The fan made remakes of that were far superior though.
    Last edited by icemann; 13th Jul 2019 at 10:33.

I feel like Dawn of War games are the only ones that have actually worked. A lot of the fanboys like Space Marine too but I view it as a thoroughly competent but average Gears of War clone.

Overall most 40k content is shit. It's an IP that succeeds primarily with it's distinctive art direction, branding itself as being edgy, and by facilitating a vicious cycle of fanboyism. Kind of a pity because it succeeds more in spite of itself than because of itself. There's quite a bit there to work that could create compelling fiction but the entire franchise stays focused on marketing to people who are either literally or mentally 13 years old.

Although at some point once I feel my painting is up to snuff I'm going to pick up one of those large Tau suit models.

Who wants to be an adult anyway. Adults are boring.

FOR THE EMPEROR.

The scenery-chewing voice-acting in DoW1 is just epic.

Thing What Kicks
    I really liked Space Marine, but I have suspicions it won't have stood the test of time. I suspect it would feel clunky and primitive when compared to something like Bayonetta 2, Vanquish or God of War. And yes, I compare it to spectacle fighters because much like Vanquish, it really shouldn't be played as a cover shooter.

I kind of bounced off of Total War: Warhammer, and I'm still waiting for someone to release a proper turn-based version of Warhammer / Warhammer 40K, sticking as close to the table-top game's rules as possible.
    Although maybe reduce the random element introduced by dice rolls. I found Blood Bowl versus the AI frustrating because of the capriciousness of the dice. You could perfectly plan a play, yet still fail miserably thanks to a bad roll.

Of the Dawn of War series, I personally preferred Soulstorm to all the others, as it was pretty much identical to Dark Crusade, but with MOAR FACTIONS. I loved the Risk-style strategy map too, and was disappointed when they didn't lean in to it harder for DoW2.

DoW2 and its expansions for me had some of the best gameplay of the entire series, and the sound effects were perfect. But the lack of the Risk element reduced replayability drastically.
    If they'd had DoW2's gameplay, including the squad progression, while keeping the Risk map and expanding it, then allowing you to play through over and over with different races, I think I would have still been playing it today.

I tend to flip flop back and forth over which I like more out of DoW 1 and 2.

1 is completely an RTS, and from Dark Crusade onward as you say it's very risk-like. Very Command and Conquer / Starcraft like, though it has the point capturing stuff which was unique. 1 got better with every new expansion, and in that respect was more like the tabletop.

2 is a squad based shooter with a strong RPG angle, and more of a story focus. And they FINALLY brought in the Tyranid's. None of the other 40k games (that I can recall) have them in it. That's just criminal.

Both are great lines of the franchise. 3 I've not played and dunno if I ever will.

The various Space Hulk games, including Deathwing, all feature Tyranids, though not as a playable faction.

Genestealers sure (which are part of the Tyranid faction I know) but not the rest of them.