TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Two Way Camo-Button Book Tutorial for TG-T1

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Two Way Camo-Button Book Tutorial for TG-T1

Setting up the Two-Way Camo-Button Book In T1/TG

I thought I would share this after searching the forum for answers. Doing a search on Camo Button Books only yielded two results for me. I thank ShadowSpawn for his post in one of them. I never realized it could be so easy after racking my cobwebbed brain trying to figure a TurnOff once the Camo-Button Book is frobbed. The trick here is StdLever Script and FrobProxy link. Use StdLever on Both Camo-Button Books under Script:0
    I set this up in my current mission, and it works like a charm. No more Button book mystery.

List of objects needed:

1.) 1-up/down switch (-464)--Placed in solid space or blue room. Note: may not be needed.
    2.) 2-Camo-Button Books(-2575)
    3.) 1 or more doors -------Frob Info set to Script>Ignore

A. Link this first Camo-Button Book-That has (StdLever) using a FrobProxy Link to an up/down switch.
    B. Use a Control Device Link from the up/down switch to the door (s)
    C. Use a FrobProxy Link from the Second Camo-Button Book-That has (StdLever) to the same up/down switch.

The Door(s) is opened with one frob, and closed with one frob on either Camo-Button Book.
    There is probably no need for the "Master Lever". It is how I tested it, and it tests good.

I verified this to work in Thief Gold. I used Miss5.mis (assasins) Camo-Button Book in Library for testing.

Edit: I am sure there is an easy approach, and as mentioned below, all the Author would have to do is delete the Camo-Button Book in the T1/TG hierarchy that is currently under" Button" and recreate it under "Lever"
    Then, the StdLever script is already on the Archetype, and no need to add it to the concrete object.

Edit: T2 already has the Stdlever script on the Archetype, so it more than likely can be copied to T1, TG to make it work as well. This study was done from Thief Gold, and like everything else, I always do things the hard way. But....It's all for fun !!!!
    Last edited by darthsLair; 13th Sep 2011 at 00:22. Reason: changing for T1/TG

If I understand correctly, you mean that a camo button can open and close a door with that process right? Isn't it easier to set the StdLever instead of StdButton script to the camo buttons?
    Last edited by DarkMax; 12th Sep 2011 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    If I understand correctly, you mean that a camo button can open and close a door with that process right? Isn't it more easy to set the StdLever instead of StdButton script to the camo buttons?
    Hi Max,

I tried using stdlever, but to no avail. My main intent was to keep it simple using just the stock stdbutton script. The ticket was the frobproxy and invert. Using just basic objects. I need things simple for my simple mind.
    And, yes, it works like a charm !

Edit: This was taken from TG, so you are correct !
    Last edited by darthsLair; 16th Sep 2011 at 15:24.

Don't camobooks work as stdlevers by default? They send turnon and turnoff signals, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    Don't camobooks work as stdlevers by default? They send turnon and turnoff signals, don't they?
    Hi sk,

Nope, they are stdbutton, and only turn on.

These are the only two threads I could find on them:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...mo+button+book

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...mo+button+book

Edit: you are right, as this was taken from TG.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 16th Sep 2011 at 15:35.

CamoButton-Book is under Levers in the hierarchy and inherits the stdlever script from Levers, at least in DromEd for T2.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    CamoButton-Book is under Levers in the hierarchy and inherits the stdlever script from Levers, at least in DromEd for T2.
    Yep, but I used TG to figure it out with StdButton. I tried using StdLever, and it still only turns On.
    Only good for opening something or such, without the ability to close it.

Edit: you are correct, as this was taken from TG.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 16th Sep 2011 at 15:36.

Nope. It sends both TurnOn and TurnOff. I have one in my mission and you frob it to open the door then frob again for close. You don't add stdlever to the CamoButton-Book. It already has it. I don't know what it would do if you put it on again.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Nope. It sends both TurnOn and TurnOff. I have one in my mission and you frob it to open the door then frob again for close. You don't add stdlever to the CamoButton-Book. It already has it. I don't know what it would do if you put it on again.
    Yep, you are right, in T2 it works easily. I just used miss5 and linked the jailhouse door with a T2 book button, and it works everytime. My bad ! I will make it a TG tutorial, although it is probably just as easy to change the Archetype, and copy T2.

oh well, made for an interesting evening anyway !

Edit: Some of my confusion here was the Port from TG to T2. Always have to change the heirarchy to match T2's.
    My Hierarchy Archetype was under Button. I didn't change it to T2's Hieirarchy, just used the StdButton Script on the CamoButton Books, as noted, less the TrapControl flags that T1/Tg doesn't have. This is just one part I haven't got around to updating just yet. I also have to add T2 objects, after cleaning the gamesystem. Sort of a pain, but not much of a workload.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 13th Sep 2011 at 01:46.