TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TDM Fan Mission: A Night to Remember 31/10/2011

TDM Fan Mission: A Night to Remember 31/10/2011

A Night to Remember
    By: Fieldmedic

It's time to release my entry for the Halloween contest; A Night To Remember

This one took me about one and a half month to complete. It would not be possible without the eminent assistance
    of Ziggun and my girlfriend. Thanks a lot!

A thanks goes to Kimdawg for creating the pianomusic.

Thanks to my betatesters - Bikerdude, Xarg and PranQster

Also a big thank you to all the folks that keeps the mod alive and evolving!

Enjoy!

Diary entry, 20th of October, 1721

Say one thing about Sir Henry Doyle, say he's a taffing idiot. Yes, I admit that. Only a taffing idiot would try to rob Lord taffing Cromwell, much less do it while being his honoured guest. I came out here to enjoy the quiet countryside and to study under the great inventor so that I could forget about all the troubles back in Bridgeport. But I suppose they didn't forget about me, nor did the Lady Terevaine. She must've found out I was staying at Cromwell's estate somehow, seeing as she had a letter delivered to me right in the middle of supper. Could barely keep a straight face as I read it. The nerve
    of that woman... Thankfully, my fellow guest at the mansion, Father Tellam, had another heated argument with Cromwell about the whole Gottfried II project. Called it a great sin against the Builder and all that. Ironic, considering what
    Lady Terevaine wrote to me, but it did give me the perfect excuse to retire for the night. Still, it seems I have yet another job to do for this little shrew. And like always, she promises that this one will be the last of them before she finally
    helps me with my debts. For the life of me, I will never understand what she gets out of these oddjobs, but I suspect it might just be some form of deranged joy at seeing me stumble around robbing everyone I know. And this time, she wants me to steal Lord Cromwell's very passion, the blueprints for his beloved airship. That in itself will not be a hard task, given that Cromwell doesn't allow any guards indoors. From what he has told me, I suspect the blueprints to be in his study on the second floor of the east wing. I'll need to be careful, however. Cromwell is a dangerous man and should my hand in this be known, he will make my money problems seem like a pleasant afternoon stroll. I'll need to mask this theft as a robbery, so I should try and steal as much as I can, perhaps smash a window or two along the way. With any luck, I'll find enough goods to actually pay my debts and get free of that taffing Lady Terevaine..."

This is a mission with certain enemies that are extremely dangerous. There are a few known issues on them
    but I will give you a chance to play the mission before spoiling the nature of the enemies.

Edit: Download v1.1 (Nov 11th):

http://www.mediafire.com/?9z65be9j0rk4jb5

Edit:

Here's the mirror at The Dark Mod site:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=52

Technical issues spoliered:

I have tried to remove the idle animations on the ghosts but somehow some of them coughs and sneezes.
    This shouldn't be impossible to solve but I've had to prioritize more important stuff.

The ghosts will drain your health if you're nearby. This is achieved through the use of trigger_hurt boxes
    that are bound to the ghosts. The innermost of these shall kill the player instantly but sometimes this fails
    so the ghost will run blindly into you. This seems to be a bug related to the use of trigger boxes.
    Sometimes they just refuse to work properly

If you use the sword on the ghosts, the sword will actually hit them, but arrows will go straight through.

If someone has a more slick solution to these bugs, please let me know!

This is a "Halloween Speed Build" Contest entry, please visit The Dark Mod forums to cast your vote:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/1...edic-20111030/

Thanks,

nbohr1more
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 13th Nov 2011 at 10:58.

Thank you so much

I'm testing other missions right now, but I'll make some time for this one

EDIT: I don't know what happens, but I'm not able to DL this mission.
    I'll wait for a mirror I guess.
    Last edited by Gloria Creep; 30th Oct 2011 at 20:10. Reason: can't DL this FM properly
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

@Gloria:

Have you finally gotten "The Dark Mod" running on your system?

Clearinghouse
    Congrats, Fieldmedic!

This was a very nice and spooky FM. It had some of those "Oh ****!" moments. The visuals are simple but very nice. Some parts reminded me of the mansion from Resident Evil. The only real downside is that it is pretty linear. It shouldn't stress low-end machines that much.

I'm betting this will win the contest, but I haven't completed Bikerdude's entry yet.

What a shame. These Halloween fms deserve much more attention.

Thanks Swordbreaker!

We did have nearly two full days of Frontpage time at Moddb, so there's that.

Some pretty great releases nonetheless.

Hi!

Players should use this version instead. There is a bug in the first version that MAY be game breaking...

ver 1.1
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9z65be9j0rk4jb5

Nbohr, please add this to the starting post

thanks for the update FM.

Any hints as to how to play this, cant see who I am supposed to chase so the game fails. Not getting anywhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by xaussienanny View Post
    Any hints as to how to play this, cant see who I am supposed to chase so the game fails. Not getting anywhere fast.
    turn left when you exit the room to get to the corridor. Just walk a little then turn left again to enter to room in the middle. To be honest it's one of the annoying obstacle of the mission (chasing the thief). Rest is smooth if you keep the distance. Distance of what? You'll see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by swordbreaker View Post
    turn left when you exit the room to get to the corridor. Just walk a little then turn left again to enter to room in the middle. To be honest it's one of the annoying obstacle of the mission (chasing the thief). Rest is smooth if you keep the distance. Distance of what? You'll see soon.
    Damn straight and skippy! It was one of those uh-oh-moments I had when building it; that the chase would be frustrating, but as you say, after those turns, it's virtually impossible to miss where to go, and then the fun begins
    spoiler:
    but because the ghostly aura hurt you, even through walls, complaints has also dropped in on this part...

Remeber this is a speed building contest entry.

Thanks for the help, will get back in their and give it a go.

ta

Mission Finished

This is a big creepy mansion. well built mansion with a creepy atmosphere and morbid ghosts haunting the corridors. very enjoyable gameplay and i loved the story.

Overall a high quality mission

Many thanks for this lovely mission

I finely came back to play this mission and it was most certainly worth it. Thanks for such a great game, totally enjoyed it.

Now I will need to go hunting all that extra loot I missed. lol