TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix / Thief possibly coming to GOG.com

I've also sent them an email about the modifications and community related stuff. We'll see what happens.

"And regarding the above patches, if gog are found to be using any of the opensource/freeware community patches for commercial gain we are going to have a problem."

Actually, theres not thing one you can do about it. And Im sure they did.
    Wouldn't be the first time. If anyone here is a fan of Sierra adventure games and the like, they know how hard it is to get some of those running on Windows XP. Theres a very fine website called The Sierra Help Pages, maintained by a guy named The Collector. He created a bunch of free custom install programs that make King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and many other Sierra games run flawlessly, then GOG released said games on their site.....
    And guess whose code popped up in their releases? He's since added a disclaimer to his download page. You have to agree not to use his stuff for commercial purposes before you can download anything. That said, I think even with those agreements in place, you'de have a hard time taking any action against them for anything what so ever. A bunch of free coders vs a foreign company that sells video games online? The court will hear your case in, oh....
    2043, Ide guess.

...THAT is called "taking the piss"

"Date modified" on THIEF.EXE is 12/12/2011. md5sum is 9814E5E900D434796DF972CE3A46E67B.

The original Thief Gold executable's md5sum is 8DD515DF75176BCD1CAAF65A93F47D81.

It's obviously not an original executable, but whether it's freshly compiled from the source code leak, I have no idea. Some files and utilities I saw in the leak are present here, but I don't know if they came from DROMED or were included on an original CD version or something. They are QUAKE.BND, UNREAL.BND, BSP.EXE, 3DS2E.EXE and CSGMERGE.EXE.

DDFix is not included.

Also, a GOG community member has already compiled a patch, quite similar to Tafferpatcher.

IIRC the QUAKE.BND and UNREAL.BND were present on my Thief CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by edudrekib View Post
    I just emailed GOG and left feedback on the game page

I will come back with their replay, in the mean time has anyone bought a copy to see if they have infringed on any of our IP?
    I understand the concern, but was the passive aggressive tone really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
    It's obviously not an original executable, but whether it's freshly compiled from the source code leak, I have no idea. Some files and utilities I saw in the leak are present here, but I don't know if they came from DROMED or were included on an original CD version or something. They are QUAKE.BND, UNREAL.BND, BSP.EXE, 3DS2E.EXE and CSGMERGE.EXE.
    The source code 'leak' and the source code given to Eidos by the former LGS developer are two different source packages.

The leak was from a Sega Dreamcast port of the game that never got very far, that code was supposedly newer than the version given to Eidos by the LGS developer.

I'd really love to play this on my Mac using CrossOver games but I'm so scared it won't work. I bought the GamersGate TDP and it just white-screened when I tried to run it after installation.

That's a DDFix+wine problem. I had it a wile ago and someone pointed me to a solution. Sorry, it was forever ago and I don't remember what it was.

Oh, thanks. I'll do some digging then. In the event that I can't find the solution—the same problem should occur with the GOG version, right?

As I recall, GoG took some heat for not properly attributing the authors of DOSBox, but I can't find any articles about it.

The price is high, though. GoG should not have even allowed the $9.99 price point, as it's continually abused by publishers who want to milk their back catalog for every cent they possibly can.

Downloading now. I'm curious as to whether the included soundtrack was arranged by Child of Karras.

Sounds like it.

So, they chose not to include anything. Judging by posts on gog forum, the exe runs only on one core (this is doable in a minute via imagecfg.exe utility by anyone), but that's it. No ddfix and no widescreen support mean the usual problems only fixable by... ddfix.

I still can't grasp why people keep throwing money at that company. To get old games legally? But apparently gog.com couldn't care less about legal issues when owner of the rights is not a big corporation like Square Enix and can't sue them to nowhere.

BTW, .BND files are simply keyboard mappings. Unreal one is similar to Unreal control scheme and Quake... you got it.

They didn't remove CoK's name from the soundtrack tags, so that's something, at least.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    That's something, but is CoK going to get a cent from GoG for each $9.99 paid for the game? I'm guessing not. If they didn't request and get his permission to redistribute the files, he might have a case against them.

But technically, was the soundtrack officially sanctioned to begin with? If not, it would kind of be like "You used our content without permission, now we're using that altered content without your permission". lol

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    True it might be a bit of a stretch. The files included are his creation, but made using assets from the original game. But I just emailed CoK because I think he should know either way.

I don't think he really has any ownership over anything. You could argue, potentially, that he retains rights to the specific arrangements in the files, but the 'stems' of those arrangements were programmed by Looking Glass, and that programming is owned by Square Enix.

The thing, too, is that he used copyrighted samples to compose those arrangements. And he released them — without anyone's permission, I'm presuming. Eidos/Square Enix turned a blind eye to that.

He could certainly file suit, if he wants to, but that's just a case that isn't going anywhere.

Seems that the game still needs DDFix to make it work. I would have thought GOG would have run across this problem in their pre-release testing I'm downloading a copy now to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaksie View Post
    BTW, .BND files are simply keyboard mappings. Unreal one is similar to Unreal control scheme and Quake... you got it.
    I am aware of that, but I only ever saw them in the source leak. I'm probably wrong in thinking that that's the only place they appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfield View Post
    As I recall, GoG took some heat for not properly attributing the authors of DOSBox, but I can't find any articles about it.
    You can't find any articles about it because it never happened. GOG has always credited the author of DOSBox and included the source in each release that uses it.

You're thinking of Steam.
    Last edited by TheJoe; 31st Jan 2012 at 16:06.

Since this was asked: no, GOG never asked for permission to use my soundtrack. I don't care for a royalty for stitching together what has already been there, but a side note from them to honor my work would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoe
    I am aware of that, but I only ever saw them in the source leak. I'm probably wrong in thinking that that's the only place they appeared.
    Just check your game, those binds should be there unless for some reason your version does not.

@CoK: Yes, perhaps if someone brings it to their attention they will be willing to do so. If not, as someone said earlier the tags are still on the songs apparently.

Also:

Looks like there is already a thread with fixes for the gog version.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 31st Jan 2012 at 17:16.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    Since this was asked: no, GOG never asked for permission to use my soundtrack. I don't care for a royalty for stitching together what has already been there, but a side note from them to honor my work would have been nice.
    I sent an email to bring it to their attention (as if they don't know ) and to register a complaint, I suggest others do the same:

http://www.gog.com/en/support/contac...estions_issues

Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    Now that I can understand and agree with. It would be cool if they just included text saying "we didn't arrange this, a fan by the name of xxxxx did".

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonie View Post
    I understand the concern, but was the passive aggressive tone really necessary?
    Well it seems it is, because it looks like they have been using data that was created for free for use by this community - see the post above.

We make stuff for the community and then some company has the bloody cheek to take freeware, include in thier 'product" and charge for it, not only is it cheeky but its illegal.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I sent an email to bring it to their attention (as if they don't know ) and to register a complaint, I suggest others do the same:
    http://www.gog.com/en/support/contac...estions_issues
    Done.

In fact I am just readying the forums over there, amongst the many issues (which WE fixed before GoG were born) I came across this -

GOG also sent me a fixed exe that bypasses the texture check completely and it was also blocked from working by the compatibility settings.
    Im guessing that said fix was 'borrowed' from the thief forums www.ttlg.com

I even read a thread where some is referencing all the DDfix work that has been done in this forum, unbelievable.
    Last edited by bikerdude; 31st Jan 2012 at 20:40.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast