TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    There was a couple of bugs in 1.1.3 - I'll PM you a pre-release to try out. I was going to release it today but if it doesn't work for you then we should try to fix that first.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen64 View Post
    When I launch it using the command line t3.exe -fm=C:\T3\cabot1b_orig I get a c++ error
    Absolute paths are not allowed there, just use "-fm=cabot1b_orig". I should do something about that error though...
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Sneaky Upgrader
    Bugfix release 1.1.3.1 is out - please get rid of 1.1.3 as soon as possible. The 1.1.3.x release post has been updated.

An original bug (sort of) which slowed down level loading, especially with vsync on, has been more or less fixed: There's a speed-up of the loading screen part of a factor 2-10 - the high end is for the menu, which now loads in less than one second on my laptop. (There's still all the exe relaunching and D3D initializing slowing down level loading, and probably nothing to do about that.)

The Steam and GOG issues should be fixed now, as well as some stupid bugs in the installer and in the patch itself. Somewhat annoying the old 'dotbug' problem has been back, probably since 1.1.1, because the fix was disabled by default. So when playing e.g. The Keeper FM on a GOG game installed to ...\GOG.com\... there would be text like 'book Metal8 not found' instead of 'Pub'. Fixed now...

I've tested this both with Steam and GOG installer versions 1.0.0.5 and 2.0.0.6. Thanks to Corsair, Lolwutman and tolsen64 for feedback and testing, and again to Lolwutman for pointing out the connection between vsync and loading times.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

thanks for latest build 1.1.3.1.
    I have a few questions though. Can the following tweaks be disabled or they are integrated in the game and cannot be undone ?

- Remove purple fog and bouncing arrows
    - Disable auto-raising of the blackjack and dagger (I like the auto-raising feature)
    - Reduce or remove headbobbing
    - Stay first-person, even in death... (I like to see the 3rd person death, it's cool)

Thank you so much for your work in game.
    Last edited by CiroConsentino; 14th Feb 2014 at 15:48.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're welcome.

All the tweaks are optional, and disabled by default. You have to turn stuff on in the SneakyOptions.ini file if there's anything you do want.

The defaults are all chosen to be faithful to the unpatched game. The exception is that fixes for original bugs are on by default (where they can be switched off).

Unfortunately the screen doesnt get centered when u set resolutions above 1920x1080.I can only see the upper left corner of the screen then.

@4k I can only see the upper left quarter of the screen with the guard.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The game is definitely capable of resolutions above HD - like here, where voodoo47 was running a 3240x1920 3-monitor setup. It has also been tested at 5760x1080 and 2560x1600. I don't think anyone has tried 4k before, though.

Can you explain a bit more? The first screenshot looks like a normal 4k frame - so you were running at 4k but even though the screenshot is normal, that's not what you saw on the screen?

Are the main menu and the loading screen affected in the same way as the game itself?

What's your monitor, graphics card and Windows version, just in case it turns out to be relevant?

Just tried to make a pic with the cam of the screen but suddenly it worked.
    strange but I like when problems solve themselves.Ill let u know if the issue comes back.
    thx 4 your awesome tool.
    ------------------
    Exacetely I saw only the upper left quarter of the screen with the guard.same goes for the main menu after relaunching the game as u can see in the screenshot.
    This not only happens in 4k but for all resolutions above full HD for example 2400x1350.On 2400x1350 though the image is not that strechted so I can still turn back to 1920x1080.
    the image gets strechted but not centered the more I increase the resolution.
    On 4k I can only see the TH of the logo which makes me having to delete options.ini so I can switch back.

Monitor: BenQ XL2720T
    graphics:gtx 670
    windows ultimate x64
    Last edited by DariuZ; 17th Feb 2014 at 03:42.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by DariuZ View Post
    strange but I like when problems solve themselves.
    Me too.

@4k I can only see the upper left quarter of the screen with the guard.
    But it wasn't just that the upper left quarter was the only lit/visible area of the screen, was it? Because the image looks like that: Only the upper left quarter is lit and thus one might think this is the only section of the game that's visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    But it wasn't just that the upper left quarter was the only lit/visible area of the screen, was it? Because the image looks like that: Only the upper left quarter is lit and thus one might think this is the only section of the game that's visible.
    When I had the bug it was the only section I could see on the screen

Ah OK, well, on the bad side this means we still don't know what caused it.

Monitor: BenQ XL2720T
    So your monitor's native definition is 1920x1080 — cf. http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monito...specification/.
    It's not really a surprise you are having issues when trying to run anything at a higher resolution.
    There are basically three possibilities then :
    A - the image will be downscaled
    OR
    B - your monitor will act as a window showing only part of the picture, that "window" may be movable when the mouse cursor reaches the edge to allow "scrolling".
    OR
    C - you'll get no display at all, except maybe some OSD message saying you're giving it some input signal it can't handle

Sneaky Upgrader
    Another bug fix release, 1.1.3.2 (mirror), with only one item: Built-in frame rate limiting should hopefully fix the original issues with lockpicking, ladder climbing and wall flattening (and possibly more) not working if your frame rate exceeds 100 fps. Thanks to Lolwutman for testing this version.

With this version the default limit is 90 fps. There's an option, MaxFrameRate in the Screen section of SneakyOptions.ini, for tuning it if necessary. Setting it to zero will disable the limiter. (If the option is missing in your file, just add "MaxFrameRate=90" under the "[Screen]" header.)

There's a few cases which could do with more testing if you have a very fast graphics card and/or a 120 Hz (or better) monitor:

• Does the limiter work correctly at refresh rates above 100 Hz with vsync on?
    • With vsync on, if you set the frame rate limit to match your refresh rate, do you get any issues, such as floating when you jump?
    • If you set the frame rate limit to a low value such as 30, do you get slowed-down animations? (The Thief logo 'landing' on the main menu in slow motion is one example.)

The first item hasn't been tested at all yet - feedback would be appreciated. The two other items were reported by Lolwutman, but I haven't been able to reproduce them.

Beleg Cúthalion has kindly provided a small test map (mirror), containing a lock, a ladder and walls for flattening - and nothing else, in order to maximize the frame rate. Start it using FMSel and don't be confused when it pretends to be the Inn mission...

While testing, please make sure that any external frame rate limiting tools are disabled.
    Last edited by snobel; 4th Mar 2014 at 16:45.

*I really hope to see something like SneakyUpgrade for Deus Ex: Invisible War too, it's an amazing utility

*Two issues:

-can't use the directional arrow keys in the lockpicking minigame, they point no more to U-D-L-R (maybe it's meant to force to use the mouse?)
    -weapon hud overlapping lockpicking hud (HUDScaleFactor=0.65 and other factors)
    Last edited by lowenz; 10th Mar 2014 at 17:37.

On my Windows 7 64 bit lockpicking and climbing on ladders finnaly works with v-sync off! Thanks for this!

@ lowenz
    For me directional arrow keys works in the lockpicking minigame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaratul View Post
    @ lowenz
    Are they working correctly?

up arrow -> lockpick up
    down arrow -> lockpick down

etc.....
    Last edited by nickie; 11th Mar 2014 at 02:50. Reason: No need to quote full post directly above yours

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Are they working correctly?
    Yes,they are.

Sneaky Upgrader
    @Esme: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    *I really hope to see something like SneakyUpgrade for Deus Ex: Invisible War too, it's an amazing utility
    I hope to find time eventually to port at least the widescreen and FOV stuff to DXIW, but it won't be any time soon...

-weapon hud overlapping lockpicking hud (HUDScaleFactor=0.65 and other factors)
    -can't use the directional arrow keys in the lockpicking minigame, they point no more to U-D-L-R (maybe it's meant to force to use the mouse?)
    I tried the original/unpatched game last night, and it behaved the same on both points:

Lockpicking with the arrow keys didn't work there either. The pick was misaligned in all directions, so the tumbler never opened. I'll have a look at this at some point, to see if it's fixable.

I could probably make the lockpicking HUD separate from the weapons in widescreen, but it was a bit difficult to get the scaling/mirroring right, so I'd rather not touch it now.

On my Windows 7 64 bit lockpicking and climbing on ladders finnaly works with v-sync off! Thanks for this!
    You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

Is the pick perfectly aligned up/down/left/right for you, as opposed to the screenshots above?

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Is the pick perfectly aligned up/down/left/right for you, as opposed to the screenshots above?
    Yes,lockpicks are perfectly aligned.Again,thx for the fix.

Btw i have one bug:when loading my desktop is still visible.I disabled desktop effects option in the patch installer but still this dosnt fix it.

edit:Found a bug! If you set "ClassicSpeed" option to true lockpicks are not perfectly aligned.
    Last edited by Zaratul; 11th Mar 2014 at 11:51.

edit:Found a bug! If you set "ClassicSpeed" option to true lockpicks are not perfectly aligned.
    Wow, thanks!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, thanks. That makes sense, sort of. Unfortunate that the speed, and not just the direction, will influence the position (and too bad that holding down the 'run' key doesn't compensate). I'll have a look but there's probably no easy fix. If not, I'll add a note about it to the readme.

Note to self: When testing against the original game, make sure to use the default options.

Btw i have one bug:when loading my desktop is still visible.I disabled desktop effects option in the patch installer but still this dosnt fix it.
    Hmm. weird. The Ion Launcher exe file is responsible for covering the desktop during loading. You can check that it has been patched (recent modify date, new icon, file description in Properties), although the installer should have checked that during installation.

Edit: Just to make sure: In the installer you had the desktop effects option checked, right? That is the default on Win7.
    Last edited by snobel; 11th Mar 2014 at 16:30.

Hmm. weird. The Ion Launcher exe file is responsible for covering the desktop during loading. You can check that it has been patched (recent modify date, new icon, file description in Properties), although the installer should have checked that during installation.
    Yes,its patched.It displays today date.
    Edit: Just to make sure: In the installer you had the desktop effects option checked, right? That is the default on Win7.
    Yes,i installed patch with multicore fix and desktop effects off.But i have spotted a wierd thing.When i load lvl\save one instance of the game is closing and next instance is opening.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's how it works: T3Main starts Ion Launcher, which waits for T3Main to quit, then starts a new instance of T3Main. They probably did it like that to make sure all memory etc. is freed between levels.

Can you post the content of Ion Launcher's log file? You can find it through the start menu: Sneaky Upgrade program group / Local Folders / Installed FMs, then go up one level.

In my head I'd wrongly conflated this with the project to stitch together all the Thief 3 maps. Does anyone here know what's happened to that project?

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560 ... LastLast