TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    That white screen is in DX2Main.exe, not Ion Launcher. You'll notice that you get it on startup too, before the short movies, and Ion Launcher is not involved until you start a new game or load a savegame - and then it'll relaunch DX2Main so you get the same white screen again.

I don't think it's meant to be white when everything else has a black background. I'll see if it's an easy fix. At least the texture pack is not to blame.
    Cool man, no biggie though. It's a lot better than cutting to the desktop afterall.

Sneaky Upgrader
    OK, try these. With these I get no white screen at all.

Ion Launcher is the same as last time. DX2Main has had a few small changes after comparing it with T3Main. I've only tested briefly - if you encounter any weirdness, let me know.

Edit: It's back! I tried a different resolution... Nothing more I can try for the time being.

Edit 2: I forgot that I'd patched DX2Main to have a 1920x1080 setting - so that's in there too. Looks like that if you run at the native res then it's OK.
    Last edited by snobel; 28th Mar 2014 at 11:08.

OK, try these. With these I get no white screen at all.

Ion Launcher is the same as last time. DX2Main has had a few small changes after comparing it with T3Main. I've only tested briefly - if you encounter any weirdness, let me know.

Edit: It's back! I tried a different resolution... Nothing more I can try for the time being.

Edit 2: I forgot that I'd patched DX2Main to have a 1920x1080 setting - so that's in there too. Looks like that if you run at the native res then it's OK.
    Weird, I am still getting the white screen. Here's exactly what I am doing. I am replacing the system files with the two in your newest zip file, then i patch the game for 1280x720 resolution (my hdtv native res) using the Deus Ex widescreen utility 2.2.0.

Launch the game, and white screen thingy persists. Not really a huge deal like i said, just kinda obnoxious not knowing whats causing it haha.

EDIT: Another weird issue is everytime i relaunch the game after quitting it, it forget my widescreen resolution, launches in windowed mode, then when i load a game, it goes fullscreen but at the default 4:3 resolution of 1024x768, sometimes it crashes too. I dunno this widescreen utility just isnt built right for Windows 8 i guess or i need to reinstall my game maybe.

EDIT 2: Tried completely reinstalling the game, and only applied the widescreen utility. First time launch, it launches fullscreened at 1280x720p just fine (albeit with the white screen before a load). Soon as a quit the game and relaunch it, it again launches fullscreened but in 1024x768 4:3 aspect ratio. Frustrating! Gotta be some weirdness with the Widescreen Utility and Windows 8.1. I didn't have this issue at all with my Windows 7 laptop last year.

I don't want you to waste any more time trying to fix this issue for me, unless it's something you wanna do. I should probably try to contact whoever made the widescreen utility.

EDIT 3: Forgot to make the user.ini file in my documents>deus ex IW read only. That fixed the resolution reverting issue, the white screen thingy howevr, remains an issue, oh well.
    Last edited by decayedmatter; 28th Mar 2014 at 15:52.

Just did a install of Thief DS from CD and the 1.1 patch.

When trying to install T3SneakyUpgrade_1.1.3.3 or 1.1.0 the install fails and says it was unable to create a directory:
    "C:\progra~3\docume~1\Thief - Deadly Shadows"
    Error 3 system cannot find path specified.
    Tried running it as administrator and also failed.

The game is installed on K:\games\TDS, don't know why it's looking at C:

edit: C:\progra~3\ is C:\ProgramData on Win7, and is also the place T3SneakyUpgrade installs too.
    Last edited by Sxerks; 30th Mar 2014 at 01:55.

EDIT 3: Forgot to make the user.ini file in my documents>deus ex IW read only
    Sometimes it's not enough that trick: I must change write permission LOL!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks View Post
    Just did a install of Thief DS from CD and the 1.1 patch.
    For the record it's not necessary to install the official 1.1 patch if you're going to install the SU.

When trying to install T3SneakyUpgrade_1.1.3.3 or 1.1.0 the install fails and says it was unable to create a directory:
    "C:\progra~3\docume~1\Thief - Deadly Shadows"
    Error 3 system cannot find path specified.
    Tried running it as administrator and also failed.

The game is installed on K:\games\TDS, don't know why it's looking at C:

edit: C:\progra~3\ is C:\ProgramData on Win7, and is also the place T3SneakyUpgrade installs too.
    It may be trying to set your registry path for savegames (which it should only do if it's not set already) and for some reason querying the 'public documents' folder returns an incorrect path.

Edit: PM'ed you a beta, which will set up the default savegame path if the registry entry is missing or invalid.
    Last edited by snobel; 30th Mar 2014 at 12:30.

@snobel
    I found it and changed the path, and it installs fully now and T3 runs.

Now I just need to find a way to increase the mouse sensitivity.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Add this to User.ini:

Code:
    [Engine.PlayerInput]
    MouseSensitivity=100
    That value is taken from the Minimalist Project, you may want to tune it a bit.

I've just installed Deadly Shadows and Sneaky Upgrade 1.1.3.3, but I've been encountering a LOT of the floating Garrett bug. It may be related to the MouseSensitivity User.ini change, but it's happened at least once since I removed the ini change.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I don't think the mouse sensivity would make the floating issue worse.

If you're playing with vsync on, could you try disabling the framerate limiter and see if it makes a difference? Set MaxFrameRate=0 in SneakyOptions.ini.

If you're playing with vsync off, try turning it on and see if that makes a difference.

Note that it's an original issue - it will happen occasionally. Hopefully you know that drawing the bow briefly will fix it?

Three quick questions. Does this upgrade fix all issues with skill levels resetting?

Is there any sort of fast travel? Sometimes I just want to travel from the apartment to the destination without having to do the Benny Hill routine of running away from crowds, but without the Benny Hill music.

Is there any restored content not in vanilla game?

Sneaky Upgrader
    You mean the difficulty setting reverting from e.g. Expert to Normal at the start of each mission? No, unfortunately not. I've tried to fix it but no luck so far. There's an option to have the current difficulty shown in the objectives screen - may help you discover sooner if you forgot to re-select the difficulty at mission start.

No fast travel either, I'm afraid.

This patch is only for the executables, not the game's resources. For restored content ask here. Beleg has found some unused conversations but I don't know if they've been restored yet.

Excellent thread !

If I'll have any problems running TDS after I switch over to W7 64bit, I'll let you guys know. If worst comes worst, I hope the Sneaky Upgrade will do its thing.

My TDS comes from a compilation/anthology DVD of the trilogy published in 2007 or 2008 or thereabouts. So, we'll see whether I'll get it to work. Hopefully I will.

I still have TDS on my XP-running laptop as well, so I will be able to play it, but I'd like to get it to work on my desktop as well.

Thanks, snobel. I think I have completed the game on Hard, but can not know whether a reset occurred. Will use the option to display skill on screen for my Expert attempt. Hope someone finds a ' skill lock' one day anyway,

You mean the difficulty setting reverting from e.g. Expert to Normal at the start of each mission? No, unfortunately not. I've tried to fix it but no luck so far. There's an option to have the current difficulty shown in the objectives screen - may help you discover sooner if you forgot to re-select the difficulty at mission start.
    You can change the difficulty at the beginning of every mission. That's what I do. Before starting I always check the difficulty level.... Or maybe even after doing that it revert back to normal ?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, as long as you remember to do that. But you really shouldn't have to and it's easy to forget when you're eager to get on with the next mission.

At least the City parts between the proper missions will respect your setting now.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Another minor release, 1.1.3.4 - the last 1.1.3.x.

The gamepad support is much more polished now. XBox360-type controllers are working without the need for 3rd party tools, including the analogue triggers which show up as buttons (Joy11-12). The game supports 16 controller buttons, so to make them all available it's now possible to assign 'hold' modifiers to up to 4 buttons: Press it briefly and release to use one function, hold it for a short time to use another. As an alternative it's also possible to assign one button to act as a 'shift' key for up to 4 other buttons. Thanks to decayedmatter for testing and suggestions.

There's a new section in SneakyOptions.ini for configuring the triggers and modifiers. Buttons are numbered from 0 so subtract 1 from the number in the GUI. Example set-up:

Code:
    [GamePad]
    ShiftModifierButton=-1          <- The 'shift' modifier is disabled (necessary for 'hold' modifier use)
    ShiftModifiedButtons=4,5,6,7    <-   but when enabled, Joy5-8 have secondary controls (Joy13-16)
    TriggerThresholdPressed=0.55
    TriggerThresholdReleased=0.45
    HoldModifiedButtons=0,1,2,3     <- Joy1-4 have 'hold' modifier secondary controls (Joy13-16)
    HoldModifierDelay=1.0           <- Activate secondary control after 1 sec
    HoldModifierRepeatDelay=0.5     <- Repeat secondary control every 0.5 sec
    Gamepad support can still be improved - for instance it's not possible to use maps or readables without a mouse or keyboard. But that will have to wait...

The installer will now make sure that the savegame location in the registry is valid. If necessary it'll be set to a suitable default.
    Last edited by snobel; 8th Apr 2014 at 09:55.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks!

Pretty awesome update, now all you need to use xpadder for is the right analog stick emulating the mouse. Great work man.

Went ahead and uploaded this to the nexus, so theres another mirror:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/thief3/mods/2/?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks!

Hi I'm suddenly getting program not responding

Hi so I had sneakily upgraded thief 3 and everythings been fine but I recently installed Malwarebytes anti-malware as well as hitman-pro, a secondary antivirus thingy. IT had me quarentine multiple files and Now when I try to start up FMSel it is (not responding), it may or may not be the antivirus, what could be causing it?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Only FMSel is affected, you can run the original game just fine? Does the FMSel window show up?

If the antivirus software keeps a list of quarantined and deleted files, look for fmsel.dll and restore it if possible. Better also check that fmsel.dll is actually present in the System subfolder in the game install. Uninstalling and reinstalling the SU with the AV disabled might work.

As a last resort you can run without FMSel: In the start menu go to Programs / Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade / Local Folders / Options and open SneakyOptions.ini. Search for the line starting with ExternSelector, replace it with these two lines and save it:

Code:
    ;ExternSelector=fmsel.dll
    ExternSelector=
    This will make the game use a very simple built-in selector instead of FMSel. You'll have to manually unzip the FM archive to a folder somewhere, then select that folder using the dialog that (hopefully) pops up. To try FMSel again just move the semicolon above to the other line.

Which version of the game (GOG, Steam etc.) do you have?

Hey
    I just installed thief3 and the latest SneakyUpgrade 1.1.3.4 and the Thief 3 Gold FM. When I launch the game and start the first actual mission after the training mission, the game will not load the 1st mission.

I posted this in the Thief3gold thread, but just thought that perhaps this could be a Sneaksypgrade issue.

I also tried editing the SavedGames registry path but it still crashed when loading the next mission. The game doesn't crash while loading the whole thing normally.

Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast