TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    I replied over there, but there's actually a second solution: In the SneakyOptions.ini file look for an option named PrepareAtLaunch and change it to true. Then the preparation steps will be carried out as necessary on each launch, so manually extracting the FM like you did should work.

Thanks.

I do have another thought, i was changing the t3.exe to the T3Ed version so I didn't need the cd in the drive, but then I realized that the installer is choosing the multicore t3.exe fix for me. Am I invalidating that multicore fix by replacing the exe, or am I still good? (i'm not even sure what the multicore fix does EDIT: fixes the intro video loop)).

thanks again
    Last edited by z-vap; 10th Aug 2014 at 09:26. Reason: fixes the intro video loop

Sneaky Upgrader
    You should be OK. T3Main.exe is always multicore-fixed, and that is good enough for most people. If you find that you can't start the game because the trailer keeps looping, or other weirdness, post again.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I think it's a side effect of faster loading - both because of faster hardware and because of the fixed bug with the progress bar. There may be a setting in one of the .ini files that can be changed to have the text update faster.

Edit: There is, but it's clearly meant to show you one flavour text per load, and then a bunch of tips. You can't make it show only flavour text apparently, but you can make it alternate between those and the tips - but it'll often show you the same flavour text multiple times. If copy this into user.ini you'll get a new text each second:

Code:
    [HelpText]
    ; Tips, time in ms
    ScrollRate=1000
    ; Flavour text
    QuoteScrollRate=1000
    ; One quote, then N-1 tips
    NumLinesToChoose=2
    You need to set NoLoadingTips=false in SneakyOptions.ini too.
    Last edited by snobel; 20th Aug 2014 at 04:18.

I installed this patch and it disabled Desktop Effects, as expected. However now i would like to re-enable Desktop Effects. How can i do that?

Cheers

Sneaky Upgrader
    The desktop effects are only disabled while the game is running. If you want to not have them disabled at all then you'll have to reinstall the patch and deselect that item in the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    The desktop effects are only disabled while the game is running. If you want to not have them disabled at all then you'll have to reinstall the patch and deselect that item in the installer.
    I did reinstall and deselect that item. Resulting in the next time i ran T3 it STILL disabled desktop effect and not re-enabling them.

So how can i re-enable the desktop effects?

*edit*
    specs:win7 64, running thief on steam.

I'm trying a reinstall of both thief and sneaky upgrade. I uninstalled both but sneaky upgrade leaves a lot of files hanging around i noticed. Like in programdata. So i manually deleted those.
    Last edited by zeep; 5th Sep 2014 at 08:43.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Uninstall the SU before uninstalling the game. Then everything should uninstall cleanly.

As for the effects, try opening the control panel on Programs and Features and look for an entry named "Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade SDB". If it's there, uninstall it.

If it's not there, open a command prompt as administrator and enter the command

Code:
    sdbinst -n "Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade SDB"
    Hopefully you'll get a message of success. If it says something like 'SDB not found' then the problem is not due to any remnants of the SU (but check again that you got the command right). If it says that you don't have permission to do that, then the command prompt is probably not running as administrator.

Hi Snobel. I got it working now. I did a complete reinstall and then made sure to deselect "disable desktop effects" when i was installing SU.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry if I am asking a repeated question, but is it normal for the Gold patch to ignore some of the things you specified when installing the Sneaky patch?

For example, I specified that intro movies should be disabled in Sneaky install, but when loading Gold as an FM there they are.

What else would I be losing from Sneaky by playing Gold?

Would like to know before committing to a playthrough of one version of TDS or the other.

TIA.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Mods and FMs can override Sneaky Upgrade settings by including a special .ini file. This is meant to be used for stuff like adapting the display for custom movies and loading screens.

T3 Gold is overriding your SU setting for the intro movie, showing the game trailer at startup. This is a placeholder of sorts: When (hopefully) eventually there's a set of T1-2 style briefing movies for the proper missions, then the intro movie function will be repurposed for playing the Inn briefing - unless another way can be found.

If you're playing the FM version (and not the 'fat' beta) then there's an additional override file in the form of a user.ini file in the FM root. A couple of the settings in there clash with SU settings - but when they do, the SU setting takes priority. It should be OK to delete most of the settings in that file, the one group to not touch is [PCVertexPools].

As for committing to a playthrough, better hold off on T3G until this potential bug has been addressed.

Thief 3 Fix for looping video

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    I'm having trouble with this. You say it needs an unmodified T3UI.ini, but I can't remember what changes have been made to my copy and there's no backup. I went through and commented or uncommented various settings in it to no avail.

What happens usually is the intro movie is repeatedly being restarted. If the movie doesn't show up, the menu animations are choppy and prone to freezing.

It may be because I have the Sold Out version. Other patches, like the nocd patch, have failed to work for me before.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem, and it took me ages to figure out why. You probably have at least a dual-core system, or more, as

the second core is running the video sequence. That's why it keeps looping. The solution is to run msconfig, and restrict the

boot-up to just one core. Open command prompt, type msconfig, then click the 'Boot' tab, and then 'Advanced options'.

Where you see the 'Number of processors' box, put a tick in the box, and make sure that number 1 is chosen. Finally, click

'Ok', then 'Apply', and then 'Ok' again. You'll get a confirmation message about changes to the 'System configuration utility'.

This is normal. Restart your computer. Your Thief 3 game should now work without any problems. Hope this has helped you.

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's a known multicore issue but installing this patch should be enough. (Check out the very first item in the first post.)

Wouldn't what you're suggesting make the whole computer run on one core? It's better to just mark the problem executables as "one core only" - there's quite a few utilities around for that.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Version 1.1.4 is out and the first post has been updated.

Edit: Minor release 1.1.4.2 is out, see the list of changes below.

This is the first release of the Fat Edition, which bundles the mods Thief 3 Gold, the Collective Texture Pack (a.k.a. John P) and the Minimalist Project. It's also the first release to include the SneakyTweaker utility for setting up both the mods and the most important SU options. (John P and Minimalist originally required you to re-run the installers to change the configuration options - now you just change them in the tweaker and reload the game.)

A couple of original issues are hopefully gone: The game will now remember your current difficulty when starting a new mission, so as long as you set it right after the training mission it'll stay set throughout the game. (Eventually T3G will provide an improved Inn mission where all difficulties are available.) And video modes with high refresh rates are now avoided, which should fix the remaining cases of the bug which caused broken lockpicking etc.

Also of note is a built-in screenshot feature: Manual screenshots are saved with the current map name and time, and screenshots can be saved automatically with savegames. Options are provided to set the quality for each type. It's currently a bit on the slow side, which is why it's disabled by default. (Enable it in the tweaker.) Note: Because of the included JPEG library, this version won't run on Windows XP. If anyone cares about this I'll fix it.

The T3 Gold included at this time is version 1.1. The removal of ambient fog in T3G caused a bit of controversy, to the extent of people making tools to get the fog back... So Beleg Cúthalion has restored the original fog and the SU now provides a fog tweak which will work in both T3G and the original maps. (Try 0.35 for something similar to how it was in previous versions of T3G.)

For John P, the options provided by the tweak tool are almost identical to those in the original installer. (A few textures have been split off into their own group.) By default enabling John P will enable all the included textures - note that this will increase loading time somewhat.

The options provided for Minimalist are a superset of those in the original installer. A couple of changes have been made, most importantly the difficulty has been reduced and the Classic GUI (T1-2 style light gem) is the default. The option descriptions in the tweaker will mention when a default deviates from the original.

FMSel has not yet been updated to the NewDark 1.22 source. The diff against the 1.21 source is here.

Thanks to AluminumHaste, Depili, Beleg Cúthalion, lowenz and Kerrle for testing, and to John P, New Horizon and Beleg Cúthalion for permission to include their mods and rework them to fit the SU mod support.

Changes in 1.1.4.2:

• Thief 3 Gold updated to 1.1
    • New option to automatically disable individual mods while playing FMs
    • A few clarifications in the descriptions of SU options in the tweaker

Changes in 1.1.4.1:

• Fix mod info file in savegames not always being written
    • Never apply mod info to FMs
    Last edited by snobel; 26th Dec 2014 at 06:29.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Thief 3 Fix for looping intro video

It's a known multicore issue but installing this patch should be enough. (Check out the very first item in the first post.)

Wouldn't what you're suggesting make the whole computer run on one core? It's better to just mark the problem executables as "one core only" - there's quite a few utilities around for that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that's true, it would, but as I'd only used this method to fix the video looping on my Thief 3 game, I posted this because I'd

tested it and knew it worked. Also, Telliamed stated that he'd tried other patches before, and they hadn't worked for him.
    Last edited by Guardian; 30th Nov 2014 at 14:18. Reason: better use of words

Mirrors for you

Standard Mirror

Fat Mirror

I've seen those fat mirrors before. I generally tend to avoid them.

Sneaky Upgrader

@Esme: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I've seen those fat mirrors before. I generally tend to avoid them.
    I thought my bathroom mirror was one of those

...it wasn't

After installing this, I can't get the game to switch to 3rd person perspective.
    It's bound to 'V', so set the secondary key to 'R' which I know works, but still nothing happens.
    Has 3rd person been removed from the game?

Sneaky Upgrader
    The Minimalist Project disables third person, so maybe you have that installed and enabled? At least that's the only explanation I can think of. The SU itself doesn't affect third person, at least not intentionally.

The Minimalist Project disables third person, so maybe you have that installed and enabled? At least that's the only explanation I can think of. The SU itself doesn't affect third person, at least not intentionally.
    That would do it, but why disable it? If players don't want to use 3rd person they don't have to, just don't use it. Weird.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Because you'd look like this:

The 'flat frob' shader used by the MP unfortunately affects quite a few things apart from the frob highlight but it's mostly visible on Garrett. T3 Gold may eventually get these things sorted out.
    Last edited by snobel; 20th Sep 2015 at 08:40.

I wonder if one could use the copper highlight from JohnP as a replacement. However, disabling 3rd person in the MP is probably gameplay-related, avoiding cheating, true to the first two games and so on.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, it fits in well with what New Horizon wanted to achieve with the MP. But in the original MP release notes he says that it's disabled because the MP "breaks many things" in third person. I guess the shader thing is the most prominent of those...

I've had a look, and it's actually easy to re-enable - just find the MP through the start menu (Local Folders / Installed Mods / Minimalist Project), enter the System folder and rename T3Camera.ini. Haven't checked what else besides Garrett's skin is broken, but at least it looks like third person could be allowed depending on the state of the other options.

Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843485358 ... LastLast