TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212631364146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    None of the mods are enabled by default - have you enabled the ones you want active, either during installation or in the tweaker? (In the tweaker it's a checkbox in the top right corner of the top level page for each mod.)

Ahaa. That's probably it. I had gone through each of the sub-menu items and made sure several things were enabled, but failed to do so on the main header pages. I will enable them and see if that works (which it probably will ) Thank you

EDIT: Yep, that was it!

EDIT 2: Is there a patch/mod that makes the dialogue in this game warmer and less tinny / e'sssss'y? Due to Ion Storm Austin's compression algorithm or something, the audio fidelity for NPC spoken words has never sounded good to me. I'm reminded now, as I try to replay TDS and find myself continually turning the volume down any time NPCs speak or attack; or often I just slog through it and wish it were better every time. If the dialogue audio is just MP3 files or something, maybe someone has felt the same and has already re-equalized them to remove treble and add bass (no Meghan Trainor song jokes, please ) ... to round out the sound more. In the interim, I'll check for a 'NPC Dialogue Volume' slider next time I boot the game up.
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 6th Jan 2015 at 12:45.

How is the support for Windows 8.1? Should it support it? First I experienced major problems, when installing to T3 Steam version, but when I did clean install for Windows, it seems working... Only thing is that the native resolution 1920x1080 has some window edges visible, but with 1600x... works.

Anyway big thanks for this brilliant work and keeping old games alive!

Quote Originally Posted by minaindrek View Post
    Anyway big thanks for this brilliant work and keeping old games alive!
    No doubt. This Sneaky Upgrade is definitely making TDS a lot more bearable for me so far. Always nice to hear Brosius' work, too. Actually, that's mostly what got me to play again. Had been listening to the TDS soundtrack and so I thought I'd give the game another go.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by minaindrek View Post
    How is the support for Windows 8.1? Should it support it?
    Yes, I have Win8.1 myself.

First I experienced major problems, when installing to T3 Steam version, but when I did clean install for Windows, it seems working...
    The new install is Steam too? (It should work with Steam.)

Only thing is that the native resolution 1920x1080 has some window edges visible, but with 1600x... works.
    If the game is set to run in fullscreen but you get window edges anyway, then the game has failed to set that mode as fullscreen and falls back to windowed mode. Incompatible graphics settings (anti-aliasing etc.) can do that. Ensure multisampling is set to 1 in the game options and that you're not enforcing any options in the graphics driver. If you get it working in that simple state, then you can experiment and find what works or not.

Is there an older version that will install on Win XP?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Standard Edition, yes. Fat Edition, no. There's a link to old versions in the first post.

XP support will be back in the next version, which is not too far out. Either wait for the release or follow this thread for a beta (with briefing videos!), which should appear within a week.

Thanks, snobel!

Should I install the Official T3 patch first, or at all? I just did a clean T3 install so I'll fiddle with the Standard Edition for now, and do a re-install when the next version is available.
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 24th Jan 2015 at 16:37.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You don't need to install the official 1.1 patch. All it does is replace an exe file, which is then replaced again by the SU.

Hello, I am a bit confused about something. Having looked at the Minimalist Project about the only thing I am really interested in is the fix to stop wall hugging making you undetectable.

Is this not covered in either SU or T3G? And if not, is it possible to disable everything in the MI barring that?

TIA.

Sneaky Upgrader
    As far as I know that's not possible. The MP gamesys changes are all or nothing, unfortunately.

OK, thanks.

bikerdude
    Afternoon Snobel

I am currently installing the the latest beta that included thew cutscenes, and it occured to me to make a feature request.

Would it be possble to add an option to change the save game location, I prefer the Thief folder itself rather than my documents.

ta.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    As far as I know that's not possible. The MP gamesys changes are all or nothing, unfortunately.
    Sorry I forgot to check something. In the OP is says the following:
    Original game bugs and issues that have been fixed or improved:
    Frame rate and refresh rate limiting fixes broken lockpicking, ladder climbing and wall flattening
    Does that mean that the wall flatten invisibility bug has been fixed in SU (and so the Minimalist Project is not required to fix it)?

IIRC the wall-hugging bug was related to some visibility multiplier dropping below zero. However, in my latest playthroughs I've never really encountered this phenomenon, I was detected several times while hugging a wall. It might be solvable by messing with ini files, but that'd require further investigation and we've not yet decided which tweaks will get their own check/option boxes in the configuration tool and what will be left to custom tweaking (which might get its own support at some point).

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    I am currently installing the the latest beta that included thew cutscenes
    Thanks for testing but you might as well wait for the real 1.1.5, which is a few days away.

Would it be possble to add an option to change the save game location, I prefer the Thief folder itself rather than my documents.
    It may be complicated, because that location is also where the options file is found, and the installer relies on that for quite a few things. But I'll have a look - if it can be changed as the first thing after installation has started, then it could work. At least you'll be able to set the path to FM zip-files during installation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    Does that mean that the wall flatten invisibility bug has been fixed in SU (and so the Minimalist Project is not required to fix it)?
    No, that's another issue where wall flattening would simply not work at high framerates.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    IIRC the wall-hugging bug was related to some visibility multiplier dropping below zero.
    Default.ini has some disabled settings like WallLightModifier, with a comment that they were made into properties. But it might actually be possible to implement a tweak by messing with a property value - I'll put it on the to-do list.

Thanks for the answers. I really don't want the MP, but also don't want to feel as if I am cheating whenever I wall-flatten, as would be the case if it was basically like having an unlimited supply of invisibility potions to use against pursuing or otherwise enemies. But then, Garrett survived without wall-flattening for the first two games, so I can just choose not use it if I find it bugged in my forthcoming playthrough.

Seriously, you must have played a different game than me if you were able to use wall hugging as a cheating tool. When was the last time you actually played TDS?

I last played Thief DS in 2009, and back then I did not know about any such bug, and wall-flattened away without having any knowledge that it might be making me undetectable. Or at least whenever a particular bug kicks in.

It is in the years since then that I have read tales of people being able to shoot noisemaker arrows into walls, hug the spot and still be undetected by investigating guards.

Apart from it being cheating, it would hamper the tension if in some cases the enemy simply cannot find me if I am flattened.

To my knowledge only Minimalist Project addresses this bug, but that makes so many drastic changes.

Well anyway, if we can make feature requests for Sneaky Upgrade then that would be mine, to please get rid of any instances of this bug.
    Last edited by Cigam; 5th Feb 2015 at 14:14.

Physics "improvement"

Physics improvements should be disabled by default, and it should clearly indicate that this setting breaks game flow in some places. For instance, in Old Quarter, right in front of Garret's hideout, you should be able to jump through to the next roof. This is almost impossible with physics setting turned on.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Must be due to increased gravity? It is off by default but is enabled by the Minimalist Project. I'll copy the description of that tweak (which mentions increased gravity) to the MP overrides page.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Must be due to increased gravity? It is off by default but is enabled by the Minimalist Project. I'll copy the description of that tweak (which mentions increased gravity) to the MP overrides page.
    Sorry, I forgot what the default settings were. Still, after reading description I thought it would increase gravity only for objects and such. In games, term "physics" is usually related to objects, such as crates and bottles, and not to players or NPCs. So it's a bit misleading, IMHO.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Version 1.1.5 is out!

Edit: Bugfix release 1.1.5.2 is out, see the list of changes below.

The Fat Edition now bundles mensch's delicious classic briefing videos. A big thank you to mensch for providing these!

Originally a Thief 3 Gold sub-project, the briefings are now considered a mod in their own right. (And they do work with the original maps in addition to T3 Gold.) When active, the briefing videos will replace the original audio/text briefings.

Thief 3 Gold is at version 1.2. There's a couple of bugfixes - the bug which could keep you from finishing the St. Edgar's mission was unfortunately back in 1.1.

The Sneaky Upgrade itself has had a few bugs fixed as well - most prominently one that would cause the weapon or item count text to be misaligned when the HUD was scaled to around 0.5. Also, support for Windows XP is back.

The gamepad support now has mouse and escape key emulation, so it's now finally possible to play the game without having to reach for a mouse or keyboard.

Logging has been much improved, and may now actually be useful for debugging... There's a couple of new options in the tweaker for this. By default only errors and warnings are logged.

In the tweak tool, the main enable/disable checkboxes for the mods have moved to the overview page, making them more discoverable.

The installer will now detect and offer to uninstall a currently installed version. The SaveGamePath registry value (which is where savegames, screenshots and options are stored) can be changed during installation and the path to FM archive files can also be specified.

Changes in 1.1.5.2:

• Fix for a bug which caused the game to start in windowed mode, or possibly in fullscreen with a suboptimal refresh rate
    • Fix for an installer bug, which would cause an exception and a spurious savegame location dialog on game installations using the Italian locale
    • Fix for original videos being screwy on old graphics cards requiring power-of-2 sized textures. (Still an issue with the briefing mod)
    • The installer will now disable desktop effects by default on Windows 10
    • Logging now defaults to Info level and will correctly detect Windows 8.1 and 10. Log files are now accessible from the start menu

Changes in 1.1.5.1:

• Fix for the mouse freezing or becoming invisible when using large font size settings in Windows
    • Fix for a bug in a fix for a crash that could happen when using the game's multisampling option
    • Fix for an issue with Wine (Mac/Linux) that could cause weird behavior such as the menu and the game itself using different options files
    Last edited by snobel; 6th Sep 2015 at 12:44.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Is there any point for me to install the new version for existing game? I'm currently at day 7 before Shalebridge Cradle mission.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Well, you can still get to watch a couple of the briefings... There should be no draw-backs to updating as long as you keep your current version of T3G: Run the fat 1.1.5, keep the mods when asked, then install only the briefing videos. Afterwards you have to re-enable the mods you're using in the tweaker.

Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212631364146515661 ... LastLast