TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121314151617181920212227323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

I decided to stick with current version, considering that no improvements for me was introduced. I will just watch the briefings from mp4 files
    Btw, just watched most of them, and while they look atmospheric and cool (I downloaded from the latest link in that thread), some stuff looks off to me:
    - the same intro sequence is repeated, sometimes it's out of place too. For instance, Shalebridge Cradle briefing - what does Hammers have to do with it?
    - images consist mainly of screenshots from actual maps with some filters. This looks nice, but it is basically a spoiler - showing different locations, which should be explored first.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Version 1.1.5 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by phobos2077 View Post
    - the same intro sequence is repeated, sometimes it's out of place too. For instance, Shalebridge Cradle briefing - what does Hammers have to do with it?
    Hmm, my rationale would be that Inspector Drept, a Hammerite, plays a fairly important role in the narrative regarding Shalebridge. I used the original quotes assigned to loading screens of the missions. Not all of them are really strong quotes like the ones found in the briefings for Thief I or II and most of them are from the Keepers, so I had to prioritise. That said, the relationship between the quoted faction and mission content wasn't always clear in Thief: TMA as well, i.e. First City Bank and Trust - the Palace of Marble Tiling and cutting-edge security technology - opened with a Pagan quote.

- images consist mainly of screenshots from actual maps with some filters. This looks nice, but it is basically a spoiler - showing different locations, which should be explored first.
    I would love to use artwork reminiscent of the original cutscenes, but that would require input from others, as I'm not capable of doing them myself. But it would be great to create a 2.0 version of the briefings with original artwork, so if anyone is up for it, consider this an open invitation. Still, I think most of the chosen shots are not that spoilery. Using pictures of the inmates or Lauryl's murder scene for Shalebridge would be really problematic, I think.
    Last edited by mensch; 8th Feb 2015 at 11:57.

For your information: Steam offline mode works without problems. I only have Fat Version (1.1.5) installed, nothing else. No other action is required.

Hey Snobel, HBAO+ in TDS thanks to your fix!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1460

DXIW version now is more needed than ever!
    And maybe you can do magic with some Unreal 2 parts too.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's interesting - I can't take credit for the "mouse improvements" though. Those are from the T3 tweaks thread and were also in the original MP. So if that's all that's needed then sticking this in user.ini:
    Code:
    [Flesh]
    DynVPScale=3000
    DynVPMinRotationRate=3000
    MouseLagThreshold=0
    ...will probably make it work also for the unpatched game. You could also look for those options in DXIW's default.ini...

This actually works really well when running T3 in Wine. I have been avoiding that for a long time because i got stuck mid-game the last time i tried to play it through, but this seems to fix most of the small problems that i experienced. Great!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Which Wine version are you using? And do you have 'native' DLLs installed?

Thanks a lot for the update, it works perfectly here.

Hello, can anyone help with some issues I am having? This is the GoG version on Win 8.1, using SU 1.1.5 fat with all mods installed.

1) I am attempting to run both Gold and the Mission Briefings mods, yet, for the training mission at least, the new briefing only appears when launching T3 via the yellow T3 icon on my desktop. Launching T3Gold via the FM Selector and starting a new game, just gives the old text briefing intro.

2) The cursor is stuck in the middle of the screen and will not move. Is there any known fix for this aside from changing Windows DPI settings?

3) The game is unplayably dark, even on 25 brightness, whether in Gold or non-Gold launches. Is there some gamma setting in a config file somewhere? Or someother known tweak?

I have tried googling but without finding anything that leaps out to me. TIA.

EDIT: on point 2) after experimenting I discovered that I only needed to turn down the DPI by 1%, from the normal 150% down to 149%, which is entirely liveable.

On point 3) I discovered a brightness setting in an options file, but changing that to higher that 25 made no difference in game, even though on the in game brightness setting page it stated the higher number. Any other settings that anyone knows of?
    Last edited by Cigam; 21st Feb 2015 at 04:48.

And I forgot 4) alt-tab is not working. Has it been deliberately disabled?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    1) I am attempting to run both Gold and the Mission Briefings mods, yet, for the training mission at least, the new briefing only appears when launching T3 via the yellow T3 icon on my desktop. Launching T3Gold via the FM Selector and starting a new game, just gives the old text briefing intro.
    Do you mean that if you enable T3 Gold and the briefings in the tweaker, start FMSel and then click "Skip FM" then you don't get the briefing? That would be a bug, but I can't reproduce it. If you mean that you don't get the briefing with the old T3G-beta-as-an-FM then that's to be expected - the briefings mod is disabled when an FM is active.

2) The cursor is stuck in the middle of the screen and will not move. Is there any known fix for this aside from changing Windows DPI settings?
    Not that I know of, unfortunately.

3) The game is unplayably dark, even on 25 brightness, whether in Gold or non-Gold launches. Is there some gamma setting in a config file somewhere? Or someother known tweak?
    This is a GOG 'feature' - they make the game run in administrator mode, which is not necessary. I haven't noticed before but that's enough to break the brightness adjustment. Removing the administrator setting from the properties of T3.exe will fix it.

4) alt-tab is not working. Has it been deliberately disabled?
    Another GOG 'feature' - I don't know why they would disable it, it's not an issue with the unpatched game, and it's not an issue with the SU since 1.1.2.1. And before then the SU installer had an option to disable alt-tab. You can avoid it by using this slightly modified T3.exe. (On Vista/Win7 this would also disable the don't-show-the-desktop-during-load fix, but that's not an issue on Win8.)

I should probably add some GOG notes to the first post...

Many thanks for your reply. I shall try the tips you suggested when I have a chance but just to quickly address this:
    Do you mean that if you enable T3 Gold and the briefings in the tweaker, start FMSel and then click "Skip FM" then you don't get the briefing? That would be a bug, but I can't reproduce it. If you mean that you don't get the briefing with the old T3G-beta-as-an-FM then that's to be expected - the briefings mod is disabled when an FM is active.
    I loaded up the FM selector and then double-clicked on the Gold entry in the list.

However what occurs to me now is that I have misunderstood and wrongly believed that to run T3Gold you needed to run it through the FMS. Will it also activate if you launch via the yellow "Thief 3" icon?

If so then I think I misunderstood the tooltip of the yellow icon, which says something like "play the original missions", to mean something like "play the original versions of the missions", ie the non-stitched together Gold versions.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I loaded up the FM selector and then double-clicked on the Gold entry in the list.
    Are you currently playing that old version, and not inclined to start over? Otherwise better get rid of that entry. It's possibly T3G 1.0 - I don't remember if that was released in FM form. But the new version is 1.2 with a couple of important bugfixes.

However what occurs to me now is that I have misunderstood and wrongly believed that to run T3Gold you needed to run it through the FMS. Will it also activate if you launch via the yellow "Thief 3" icon?
    Yes, just enable it on the tweaker start page and launch using the yellow icon. You can tell if T3G is active from the version text in the main menu (if you haven't disabled the version text, of course.)

If so then I think I misunderstood the tooltip of the yellow icon, which says something like "play the original missions", to mean something like "play the original versions of the missions", ie the non-stitched together Gold versions.
    Those icon tooltips pre-date T3G - I'll see if I can make it a little clearer next time.

Btw. to fix the alt-tab thing, a better way is to hit Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) and in that window, copy/paste this line and hit enter:
    Code:
    sdbinst -u -n "GOG.com Thief - Deadly Shadows"
    (I got an error doing that, but it still worked.)

Are you currently playing that old version, and not inclined to start over? Otherwise better get rid of that entry. It's possibly T3G 1.0 - I don't remember if that was released in FM form. But the new version is 1.2 with a couple of important bugfixes.
    This was a fresh install of T3 + SU 1.1.5, for the purposes of starting a new game. Although some months ago I installed T3 and SU and Gold 1.0 as a test run.

I did not do anything to uninstall either SU or G1.0 since then, and when I installed 1.1.5 it did ask me to uninstall an old SU. But maybe the old gold is still on my system and this new FMS picked it up. Well for whatever reason, it is in the FMS list.

I'll give the alt-tab suggestion a try at some point, and changing the "run as administrator" setting did indeed improve the brightness, so thanks.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Installed FMs are not removed when uninstalling the SU so unless you change the FM install path with the next SU installation they will show up in the list again.

Has any one managed to get sweetfx shader suit running with this game ? I cant get it working because this is a directx 8 game and there was a tool by enb series to make dx8 games work . Can any one guide on this ? you can download sweetfx from here http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

Hello, I have a slight feature request, although that said I have no idea how minor or major it would be to implement.

Basically it would be useful to be able to press "enter" for "yes" whenever there is a yes/no screen. In a similar way that you can already use "escape" instead of clicking on "no".

The reason for this is that I find it very easy to lose the dark cursor on a darkish background, and so would find it much easier to just be able to press enter to confirm on one of those screens.

Just an idea, anyway.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I wouldn't mind adding that. I'll put it on the to-do list and have a look at some point.

I wouldn't mind adding that. I'll put it on the to-do list and have a look at some point.
    Thanks for the consideration. If it turns out to be an easy sort of thing to implement, a further possible idea would be to add the ability to flick back and forth through documents and maps by being able to use the keyboard arrow keys instead of the left/right click buttons. Just another thought I have had anyway.

A question about the Minimalist Project, if anyone can help. Is there any way to disable the playstyles and just have the old Normal/Expert etc skill choices back?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Some things are easily reverted - the difficulty settings can be copied from the original default.ini into the one in the MP installation. (Replace the whole [Difficulty] section.) If you do that you should set the MP difficulty factor to 1.0 first. You can also get the "EXPERT" etc. texts back by modifying Content\T3\Books\English\String_Tags\UI.sch and Screens.sch, still in the MP installation.

Other changes are in the gamesys and can't (as far as I know) be reverted without losing all the other MP features.

For greater gamepad support: you should make DisplayWeapon and DisplayItem bindable in the game menu, if that's possible

snobel, thanks for the post. I copied the "Difficulty" sections over and set MP factor to 1.0, without doing anything else. Does this mean that selecting Cutpurse/Assassin/Thief/Ghost now corresponds to selecting Easy/Normal/Hard/Expert difficulty, respectively?

I'm going to assume that even if so, this still won't be the old skill levels in terms of restrictions and objectives? If I choose Thief say I may be getting Hard skill now, but I still won't be required to steal x% of loot and y special items, corresponding to whatever the actual vanilla hard skill would have required?

If so, I suppose that might still be OK as long as the amounts and restrictions remain constant throughout all missions. That is, if hard always requires 60% loot in every mission, and never places a general restriction on killing anything, then I could just remember the figures and restrictions for whatever level I want to play on, and stick to this.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaktrap View Post
    For greater gamepad support: you should make DisplayWeapon and DisplayItem bindable in the game menu, if that's possible
    I didn't know those functions existed. But it looks like they always activate the first weapon/item on the list and not the one that you had active before you put it away. So I don't know if they're any better than using next/previous weapon/item?

snobel, thanks for the post. I copied the "Difficulty" sections over and set MP factor to 1.0, without doing anything else. Does this mean that selecting Cutpurse/Assassin/Thief/Ghost now corresponds to selecting Easy/Normal/Hard/Expert difficulty, respectively?
    Only for the AI health and perception.

I'm going to assume that even if so, this still won't be the old skill levels in terms of restrictions and objectives? If I choose Thief say I may be getting Hard skill now, but I still won't be required to steal x% of loot and y special items, corresponding to whatever the actual vanilla hard skill would have required?
    Yes, that must be right.

If so, I suppose that might still be OK as long as the amounts and restrictions remain constant throughout all missions. That is, if hard always requires 60% loot in every mission, and never places a general restriction on killing anything, then I could just remember the figures and restrictions for whatever level I want to play on, and stick to this.
    Yes. You can get closer still by going back to the MP default.ini and copy the [Difficulty] values for the setting you want to the Hard settings.

Snobel, thanks for the reply. Pity that they decided to non-optionally remove the old skills/objectives. And I have the feeling that even after copying the difficulty section between inis, and being prepared to manually stick to whatever the old skill would have required in terms of loot or non-blackjacking, the new restrictions would still apply, such as the one about having to finish the level in 30mins with 100% loot, if that is a new restriction placed on the "skill" I want to choose.

Oh well, I primarily installed MP this time round to get rid of the wall-flattening bug, and it does that at least, as well as having other excellent points.

Thanks, Cigam.
    Last edited by Cigam; 25th Feb 2015 at 06:58.

Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121314151617181920212227323742475257 ... LastLast