TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 611161718192021222324252631364146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Isn't that just because your inventory is already full for that particular item? (I think the slider is stuck in the middle when that happens.)

I see!

AHA! KK, Thanks!

Been a while since I first played T3 - don't remember it did that!

I have just re-installed the Sneaky upgrade and discovered that if you install the standard version you can not install any of the options Collective Texture Pack/Minimalist Project/CTP-menu/Thief 3 Gold.....

Q. What is the point of having 2 different Sneaky Upgrades ? is this not confusing ?
    Last edited by fortuni; 12th Jun 2015 at 04:30.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The difference is that the Fat Edition has those mods you mention bundled - the Standard Edition hasn't. That difference also amounts to almost 250 MB download size, something that still matters to a lot of people.

So to get the mods, just install the Fat Edition. Once you've got that installed you can upgrade using the Standard Edition when a new version is released. (If there's been no changes to the mods, of course. But It's likely they won't change, except that hopefully Beleg Cúthalion will add an expanded Inn mission to T3G at some point.)

Help Needed with Saves

Help needed!

Does anyone have a save for Thief DS + Sneaky Upgrade (i think it's v 1.2) (from: http://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-3-sn...de-fat-edition) that is set before the Abysmal Gale?

OR can I make Mr Wynd's saves work for this version of the game?

I added the mod on top of the gog.com version which seems to have a save game folder in the exact place where the game installed to.

I want to play the Abysmal Gale mission on livestream. Or another scary(ish) mission. It's a one time promo livestream of the game not a full let's play. 2 hours and that's it.

Already did The Cradle last year and now I want to showcase the mod + a good mission from within the main game.

If you reply, please provide the steps for doing this as I have limited experience with modding Thief.

THANK YOU!

P.S. I'd need the save within the next 4 hours. If there's no other option, I am fine with playing the game from the start.
    Last edited by TheWeekendSlice; 17th Jun 2015 at 11:03.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Installing the SU doesn't affect savegames so you can use old saves, including Mr Wynd's, just fine. But you have to disable the T3 Gold mod, otherwise the saves won't show up. (Saves for the original game are generally not compatible with T3G.)

It sounds like you had existing saves, installed the SU, and afterwards your saves had (apparently) disappeared? With the GOG version, the only thing that should cause that behaviour is if you activated T3 Gold during installation - if so, try disabling it in the SneakyTweaker tool and see if the saves are back.

While you have the tweaker open, go to the SU Tweaks page and enable the option "refresh the savegame index during startup" - makes it easier to use third party saves like Mr Wynd's.

You can easily find the location for your (original) saves through the SU start menu group. For T3G saves, go up one level from there. T3G saves are in a folder named SaveGames-T3G-1.2.

If you decide to start over, then you should definitely play the T3 Gold version...

Thanks for replying! You cleared up some things for me.

Just to clarify, I did a fresh install of Thief DS and the mod and had no previous saves. I wanted to skip directly to a mission that was not from the start of the game. In 2014 I managed to do this by downloading some saves I found online and skip to the Robbing The Cradle mission that way. My plan was to showcase the Sneaky Upgrade Fat Edition mod combo pack (lack of a better term) AND to play a mission that wasn't from the start of the game. I got the Mr Wynd saves and couldn't get them to work with the Gold mod installed and your reply explained why that was so thanks!

In the end I had two options for the stream and I didn't choose Thief this time as I had a chance to do a live chat with someone from Flying Wild Hog about their upcoming Shadow Warrior 2 (http://t.co/6RNFjpGrnM). But I will make sure to use the provide details for a future stream or playthrough.

I had streamed Robbing The Cradle on Expert in December 2014 (https://t.co/ZwCooh7V2Q) but there was a plan to have 3 streamers showcase the 3 old school Thief games on livestream yesterday which changed when I opted to do the dev chat.

Now, one thing that I liked and noticed post mod installation is that there seems to have been a performance boost as well of sorts, while I have a PC more than capable for Thief DS, the post-mod game is quite smooth in the menus and loads quickly which didn't seem to be the case pre-mod. Thumbs up from me.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by TheWeekendSlice; 18th Jun 2015 at 06:02.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Well thanks for the thumbs up. Loading times have improved at least, after an orig bug with the progress bar was fixed.

Note that the Abysmal Gale is a City map, i.e. unchanged in T3G except perhaps for minor fixes. If you want to showcase T3G I'd recommend (since you've already done the Cradle) either the Museum map (which has a new bit connecting the two original half-maps) or the Seaside Mansion one; because it takes place in a mansion, splitting the map in two seemed extra weird in that one.

For single plays of one of the proper (non-City) missions like this you can actually, at least sometimes, get away with starting from an original City save from just before mission start. You'll need to copy in the SaveGame.txt file from a real T3G save to use it. Just don't keep playing on through the game afterwards, weirdness will ensue...

A button for menus?

Wow, what an incredible overhaul of thief 3
    When have some time though, could you map all of the menu navigation to the a button?
    Currently the left shoulder button can be used to select menu items and the A button can only be used on 1 or 2 of the menus.

Also, is there any chance the look around while viewing readables feature could be expanded to include the gamepad?
    Last edited by mikjames; 26th Jul 2015 at 21:30.

Sneaky Upgrader
    If you use the tweaker to map a stick to the mouse and a button to the Escape function, then everything in the game should be accessible. I remember that the A button sometimes has a hardwired function - what is it again?

The unpaused readable mode tweaks are broken in quite a few ways and I sort of regret putting them in. But if/when I find time to try and fix them I can try and make the mouselook mode work with controllers too.

Well, as anticipated, Windows 10 messed some stuff up. Nothing that really breaks the game, but still irritating. The brightness setting no longer works, it's locked on default no matter where the slider is. The desktop also shows up on loading saves or beginning a mission. This is all I have noticed at a quick look, just thought I'd mention it.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    The brightness setting no longer works, it's locked on default no matter where the slider is.
    If you've applied any compatibility settings or "run as admin" to either T3.exe or T3Main.exe, then remove them. (On Win8.x this is the standard cause of brightness not working.)

If that's not it, then it looks like Win10 is indeed bringing new grief.

The desktop also shows up on loading saves or beginning a mission.
    Reinstalling the SU and checking the "disable desktop effects" option in the installer should at least improve this. (In the next version that option will be checked by default on Win10.)

This is all I have noticed at a quick look, just thought I'd mention it.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    If you use the tweaker to map a stick to the mouse and a button to the Escape function, then everything in the game should be accessible. I remember that the A button sometimes has a hardwired function - what is it again?

The unpaused readable mode tweaks are broken in quite a few ways and I sort of regret putting them in. But if/when I find time to try and fix them I can try and make the mouselook mode work with controllers too.
    Yeah, I was hoping the select key could be the a button though, instead of the left shoulder button, any way to change that?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Not that I know of - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    If you've applied any compatibility settings or "run as admin" to either T3.exe or T3Main.exe, then remove them. (On Win8.x this is the standard cause of brightness not working.)

Reinstalling the SU and checking the "disable desktop effects" option in the installer should at least improve this. (In the next version that option will be checked by default on Win10.)
    Thank you for these tips. Alas, I have reinstalled SU (latest version) and checked "disable desktop effects" and have made sure there are no compatibility settings of any kind, and yet the same outcome. I am playing around with compatibility modes and different configurations. I will post if anything fixes this problem.

Can't get this to work on since upgrading to windows 10 just says 'T3 Sneakily upgraded has stopped working' if i uninstall the mod however t3 works but can't use the enhanced screen modes ???

Sneaky Upgrader
    I currently have Win10 only as a virtual machine. But I've no problems with it, apart from the brightness setting not working, as described by Jax64 above.

Since you've upgraded, one thing that could possibly go wrong is if you were running at the native resolution before (i.e. highest-numbered resolution index) and under Win10 you have fewer display modes available. Then it may read the old index from the options file and try to set a non-existing mode. Try opening SneakyOptions.ini (find it through the SU program group in the Start menu - haven't checked, but hopefully it's in there somewhere), find the Resolution line and change the value to 2 or 3, then save and see if the game will start. (Thinking about it I'm actually almost sure I made it fall back on a lower setting automatically in this case - I'll check tomorrow. Edit: Yes, an invalid resolution index is reset to 2.)

Try disabling all mods too, and if you've changed any settings on the tweaker's Display page, change them back to the defaults. You can also make the game write some information to a log file by selecting log level Info in the tweaker's Advanced page. Sneaky.log should be in C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade.

It would maybe help if you could describe in more detail how it crashes. What do you mean by "enhanced screen modes" btw?
    Last edited by snobel; 12th Aug 2015 at 15:36.

Issue while running under win81

Hello,

first, I'd like to thank everyone involved in doing the Sneaky Upgrade, since it is a great tool that helps people play this awesome game that is Thief Deadly Shadows.

Now, I'm having an issue while playing this game under windows 8.1. Everytime I start the game, it starts windowed, so I always Alt-Enter, the game goes fullscreen and everything is fine (in-game resolution matches desktop resolution, 1080p). But then, everytime there's a loading screen, from either loading a new zone or a previous save, it goes back to windowed, which is incredibly annoying, since Alt-Enter can take at least 5s+ to take effect. I tried reinstalling with "desktop effects disabled" option checked, doesn't work. I tried an earlier version of the Fat Edition (1.1.4.x), same thing. I tried an earlier-earlier version, when it was still standard (1.1.3.4), and it works perfectly fine and no annoying windowed mode, but I don't get to have Thief 3 Gold. Then, I tried using current version (1.1.5.1) on an windows 7 install that I had on my laptop and it worked fine, no annoying windowed and with Thief 3 Gold. So I guess it is something wrong with Windows 8.1, or it might be something screwing my setup that I don't know of (I do have a dual monitor setup, but I don't really know if this does affect anything regarding the game). So if there is anything that anyone can do to help I'd really appreciate, since I'd like to play in my desktop (laptop does not have enough awesomeness ).

Thanks in advance.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Try setting the Multisampling in-game option to 1 (off). Also, make sure no compatibility mode or 'run as admin' has been applied to either T3.exe or T3Main.exe (except for the 'high DPI' one, which Windows will apply automatically). Opening in windowed mode is a known side effect of those...

I'll have to check what happened between 1.1.3.4 and 1.1.4. I have Win8.1 and dual monitors myself, btw.

[QUOTEIt would maybe help if you could describe in more detail how it crashes. What do you mean by "enhanced screen modes" btw?[/QUOTE]

The unmodded t3 does not allow you to run the game in widescreen display modes i.e 1920 1080 etc

Hi,

I've tried what you said, so:

• Multisampling is set to 1 (or disabled)
    • No compatibility mode is set
    • No admin privileges are set
    • No changes through graphics driver (e.g. forced anisotropy through NVidiaCP)

And I'm still having this issue. If there is anything that I can gather to help determine the problem please let me know. I've puushed a DxDiag info of my system, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looks like you have the original John P texture pack installed? While that should work it's an unwanted complication: Everything in John P is included in the 'fat' Sneaky Upgrade, and much easier to configure. Also, the shield overlays on the T3 icons indicate that T3 is running as administrator.

I'd suggest you uninstall the SU, John P and any other T3 patches (and, if you're up for it, reinstall the game) and get vanilla T3 to run without admin privileges or compatibility modes. Then install the newest fat SU, hopefully it'll work. Afterwards use the tweak tool to enable and configure John P's textures.

@noblehelm: Could you try getting a log file as described here? Not sure it'll be useful, but worth a try.

Hi,

Here are them logs, done while playing the intro section: info and dump.

If there's anything else, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks. It looks like it tries to set an invalid graphics mode, gives up and reverts to windowed mode. One thing standing out is that all your higher-res modes are read as being 30 Hz?! This is very likely where it goes wrong.

I'll investigate some more, probably sometime next week. If necessary, can you try out a special exe in order to collect some more info?

In the mean time there's a few things you can try:

• In the tweaker's Display page, try setting Max Refresh Rate to 0 (disabled)
    • Also in the Display page, try setting the Custom Display Mode to 1920x1080@60, then select that mode in the game by moving the slider all the way to the left
    • Try disabling your second monitor. If this works please post another (info) log
    • Try setting the resolution to 1280x720

Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 611161718192021222324252631364146515661 ... LastLast