TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    What's the value of your SaveGamePath registry entry? (In a command prompt type "reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows"", or find it in regedit). If it's empty, use regedit to set it manually to the path containing your SaveGames folder.

What do you mean when you say that your 'system' is in English?
    Last edited by snobel; 31st Aug 2015 at 09:01.

This is the problem I am having. It's in fullscreen, yet the image only takes up about half the monitor. This applies only to cutscenes and the title menu, but nonetheless noticeable. There are no issues in the non-patched version.

Here is what is looks like, sorry for the poor quality, huge, cell phone picture.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Last edited by Jax64; 10th May 2016 at 20:42.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Aha - I've seen something similar on a very old laptop with SiS graphics. I assumed it was a driver bug. What graphics card do you have, and what resolution are you running at in that photo?

It's running at 1600x900 on the desktop. It is a Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset, Yes it's old (and Intel), hope you can help me. I have also had a similar problem with other programs.
    Last edited by Jax64; 1st Sep 2015 at 21:42.

Zombified
    if it's an upgradeable desktop, do yourself a favor and get a $5 gpu from some second hand hw store's bargain bin. anything is better than intel.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    anything is better than intel.
    So I've heard. Normally I wouldn't hesitate, but it preformed perfectly before. Up until a few weeks ago, after I reinstalled Win7, most fullscreen programs aren't fitting my monitor as they did prior to the installation. I have already tried updating graphics drivers through Control Panel to no avail. Makes me wonder what's going on...

Zombified
    try the latest driver from intel's site (Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, select proper OS). but again, if this is a (tower or slim) desktop pc with a pci-e 16x/8x slot, getting even the cheapest used dedicated graphics card would solve all problems (and free up some memory as well, and maybe even boost OS performance, if you are using aero). do yourself a favor.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sounds like good advice...

I've tried changing the adjust-video-for-widescreen part of the patch to make it stay closer to the original code and now the original movies are shown correctly on that old laptop. Unfortunately the movies in the briefing mod are now weird (they were shown correctly before, for whatever reason). So it looks like it can be improved on, at least. Now that I'm on the case I'll fix it for 1.1.5.2, to the extent possible.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    So it looks like it can be improved on, at least. Now that I'm on the case I'll fix it for 1.1.5.2, to the extent possible.
    Nice work!

EDIT: I can't believe how ignorant I was, everything's fine now, resolution fixed on every program, including Sneaky Upgrade. All it took was pushing a few buttons on my monitor. Sorry for wasting your time...
    Last edited by Jax64; 2nd Sep 2015 at 21:46. Reason: EDIT

Sneaky Upgrader
    Ha! I actually appreciate the motivation to look into it. But if I can't get it right on all fronts I'll revert to the old way, then.

Hi snobel

i just tried to play 'Impurities in the Mix' and it crashes every time you try to enter the Hammer compound right at the beginning of the mission......says Sneakyupgrade stopped working

don't know if this has been brought to your attention before but nothing came up on advance search

ps i have the fat version installed

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    i just tried to play 'Impurities in the Mix' and it crashes every time you try to enter the Hammer compound right at the beginning of the mission......says Sneakyupgrade stopped working
    This is a common problem for that mission, I had it myself. The standard vertex pools are too small. Add this to the User.ini in the unpacked mission directory(in the sneaky upgrade start menu group in the SFM_zSchism folder):

[PCVertexPools]
    DynamicVertexPool=6291456
    StaticVertexPool=5242880
    StaticShadowVertexPool=3145728

Save it then it shouldn't crash. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Jax64; 5th Sep 2015 at 15:56.

Thanks for rapido respondo....but your talking to a computer dummy

the only User.ini file i can find is in my main T3 folder...so i'm not sure what you mean by

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    the unpacked mission directory (in the sneaky upgrade start menu group in the SFM_zSchism folder):
    what is the 'unpacked mission directory' ?
    and where do i find the 'sneaky upgrade start menu group in the SFM_zSchism folder' ?
    and is it worth asking what standard vertex pools are ? .....NO cancel that Question i don't think i want to know

The exact directory for me is "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed FMs\SFM_zSchism_v4\User.ini"

Yours may differ slightly.

And if you cannot see the ProgramData folder, open windows explorer and in the upper left part of the window click organize, then folder and search options, go to the view tab and check "show hidden files, folders, and drives".

couldn't find the ProgramData folder....cos i didn't know where to look ...

but i did open windows explorer and clicked organize, then folder and search options, go to the view tab and check "show hidden files, folders, and drives"....but no new files seemed to appear in any of my folders

so just pasted:- ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed FMs\SFM_zSchism_v4\User.ini into that top box on my screen and hey presto a Use.ini box appeared....pasted in and it worked

you guys who understand computers constantly amaze me

Thank you Sooo much

Sneaky Upgrader
    1.1.5.2 is out. Bugfixes and small improvements. Everyone should update.

The nasty issue, which could cause the game to start windowed or fullscreen at a suboptimal refresh rate, is fixed. Thanks to noblehelm for reporting it.

The installer bug, which would impolitely confuse Italians with an error message and a path selection dialog is fixed too. Thanks to Linda for reporting this issue.

A bug causing weird-looking video on old graphics cards requiring power-of-2 sized textures (the issue I thought Jax64 had above) is fixed for the original videos, at the expense of the briefing videos looking weird now.

The installer will now by default disable desktop themes on Windows 10. There's some indication this fix is not as effective on Win10 but on the two installs I have it's definitely still better than nothing.

Logging is now on the Info level by default, and both the current log file and the backup can be accessed through the start menu. The Windows version is now logged correctly for Win8.1 and Win10.

There's currently no fix for the broken brightness on Windows 10.

The mods are unchanged, so to update an existing install the Standard Edition will do.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Change made, another error tried the game as adviced, but it crashes badly. And my system is in english...
    Installed the newest version, same error as before. Running the game yet crashes. I guess I'll uninstall windows 10 unless someone will find out a solution for it.

Update: now I'm back to Windows 7 and this program does not have even an uninstaller... what a mess... I suggest to include in the next release an uninstall link in the System folder, other than the one (lost since I switched to Windows 7) in the installed application.
    Last edited by Linda; 8th Sep 2015 at 18:46.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The new version wouldn't work any better, because whatever is wrong with your install hasn't changed.

Did you check the registry, as suggested? (The error message indicates that the SaveGamePath value is empty, because the subpath shown is appended to its content.)

You can find the uninstaller in "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade". While you're there, post the contents of Sneaky.log.

Your T3 install clearly is a mess. Did you even try reinstalling the game? Would be more rational than reverting the entire OS.

Max posted on the Microsoft forum to get this answer: "The game is not compatible with Windows 10. You've already tried compatibility mode and it didn't work, so that's the end of the line." link http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...68c60f7?auth=1
    so Microsoft answered that they are not willing this game works on the next OS generations (but unexplicably the previous Thief version worked), that's why I switched back to the previous Windows. I wanted to try, but I guess it's too soon, someone will figure out how to make it work smoothly, maybe, once...

Fancy mod, thanks!

I've an issue on Win8.1 though... Latest version (1.1.5.2) of Standard works wonderfully, but whenever I try to install Fat, I receive

I tried reinstalling T3, cleaning registry & rebooting so far, along with all compability modes and running as an administrator. I'd only use Fat to get the texture pack, but even its standalone installer says "Error! Can't initialize plug-ins directory. Please try again later."

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    so Microsoft answered that they are not willing this game works on the next OS generations (but unexplicably the previous Thief version worked), that's why I switched back to the previous Windows.
    That's not a Microsoft employee replying - just some guy who doesn't know better. In the general case the game runs fine on Windows 10 (with the minor annoyance of the broken brightness adjustment). It's likely there's something wrong with your particular installation.

Again: Did you check that your SaveGamePath registry value is correct? It's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows on 64-bit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows on 32-bit Windows. Also look in (assuming 64-bit) HKEY_USERS\<user id>_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows, where <user id> is a long string of mostly numbers and dashes. If SaveGamePath exists there it takes priority over the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE path.

Does "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Sneaky.log" exist? If it does, post it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grombolar View Post
    I've an issue on Win8.1 though... Latest version (1.1.5.2) of Standard works wonderfully, but whenever I try to install Fat, I receive
    Hmm, that's new... Can you try getting a log from the installer? Open a command prompt, cd to the installer exe, run "Setup_T3SneakyUpgrade_Fat_1.1.5.2.exe /log=setup.log" (no quotes). The log will be in the same location. Post it here in code tags.

I tried reinstalling T3, cleaning registry & rebooting so far, along with all compability modes and running as an administrator.
    Don't apply compatibility or admin modes to either the installer or the game executables - it shouldn't be necessary and may even cause weirdness.

I'd only use Fat to get the texture pack, but even its standalone installer says "Error! Can't initialize plug-ins directory. Please try again later."
    Don't use the old texture pack installer with the Sneaky Upgrade - they provide the same textures but in very different ways. If all else fails I can upload the texture mod as a zip - then you can unpack and add it manually.

Can you try getting a log from the installer? Open a command prompt, cd to the installer exe, run "Setup_T3SneakyUpgrade_Fat_1.1.5.2.exe /log=setup.log" (no quotes). The log will be in the same location. Post it here in code tags.
    No .log was created (tried at two different folders), just the same error message popped up.
    Don't use the old texture pack installer with the Sneaky Upgrade - they provide the same textures but in very different ways. If all else fails I can upload the texture mod as a zip - then you can unpack and add it manually.
    If there's another way to create a log file, I can try... Otherwise a .zip would be appreciated

Sneaky Upgrader
    No .log was created (tried at two different folders), just the same error message popped up.
    So you get the error very early in the process? Before or after the User Account Control pop-up?

When you installed the standard edition, did you change any of the installer options?

If there's another way to create a log file, I can try... Otherwise a .zip would be appreciated
    Would you mind trying the previous fat SU? It's made with an older version of Inno Setup. If it works you can install the standard 1.1.5.2 over it, keeping the mods.

So you get the error very early in the process? Before or after the User Account Control pop-up?
    Yup... It didn't even give me the 'Welcome to the Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade Setup Wizard' screen, where you can press next/cancel (like Standard version did) & I don't get user account confirmations for administrator rights
    When you installed the standard edition, did you change any of the installer options?
    Only unticked fan mission selector & it found the Steam folder automatically
    Would you mind trying the previous fat SU? It's made with an older version of Inno Setup. If it works you can install the standard 1.1.5.2 over it, keeping the mods.
    Gives the same error as 1.1.5.2

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yup... It didn't even give me the 'Welcome to the Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade Setup Wizard' screen, where you can press next/cancel (like Standard version did) & I don't get user account confirmations for administrator rights
    Temp files are created in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Temp - one folder is created there before the UAC prompt. Better check that permissions for that folder show "full control" for your user, admins and system. Although, since the standard edition works that's probably not it... I'm out of ideas, unless you're seriously low on disk space, and the error message is rubbish.

Only unticked fan mission selector & it found the Steam folder automatically
    OK. I'll try installing using the Steam version, in case it makes a difference. I have Win8.1 too, btw.

Gives the same error as 1.1.5.2
    Here's the zip. To install manually:

1. Install the standard SU
    2. Extract the archive to the mods folder: C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods so that you have ...\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack
    3. Start the SneakyTweaker. Two of the check boxes on the start page should now be active. Enable them and click Apply.

You can fine tune the texture selection if you want, on the Collective Texture Pack pages in the tweaker. You must reload for changes to take effect.

Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728333843485358 ... LastLast