TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Temp files are created in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Temp - one folder is created there before the UAC prompt. Better check that permissions for that folder show "full control" for your user, admins and system. Although, since the standard edition works that's probably not it... I'm out of ideas, unless you're seriously low on disk space, and the error message is rubbish.
    I had allowed them previously, so it wasn't that either & I've only 40gb to spare haha...

Everything's so pwetty now Thank you so much for the .zip and hard work, really appreciate it!

That's not a Microsoft employee replying - just some guy who doesn't know better. In the general case the game runs fine on Windows 10 (with the minor annoyance of the broken brightness adjustment). It's likely there's something wrong with your particular installation.

Again: Did you check that your SaveGamePath registry value is correct? It's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows on 64-bit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows on 32-bit Windows. Also look in (assuming 64-bit) HKEY_USERS\<user id>_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows, where <user id> is a long string of mostly numbers and dashes. If SaveGamePath exists there it takes priority over the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE path.

Does "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Sneaky.log" exist? If it does, post it!
    I though to have deleted everything, but I found it! Though I see no sense to use Windows 10 if no one can fix the brightness settings.
    Code:
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////
    // Session Start: 09/09/15 00:42:01 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////

[Inf] File search path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows"
    [Inf] Display mode: 640 x 480, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 800 x 600, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1024 x 768, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1152 x 864, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 720, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 768, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 800, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 960, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 1024, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1360 x 768, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1366 x 768, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1440 x 900, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1600 x 900, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1600 x 1024, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1600 x 1200, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1680 x 1050, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Current mode: 1024 x 768, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Windows version: 6.1.7601 (SP 1.0) (64-bit)
    [Inf] SU version: 1.1.5.2
    [Inf] Sneaky.dll version: 1.1.5.734
    [Inf] T3Main.exe version: 1.1.5.341
    [Inf] T3.exe size: 69632
    [Inf] Options dir: C:\ProgramData\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options
    [Inf] Saves dir: C:\ProgramData\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames
    [Inf] Full command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows\System\T3Main.EXE" -fm
    [Wrn] Running as administrator
    [Inf] Registry: ION_ROOT: D:\prova\
    [Inf] Registry: SaveGamePath: C:\ProgramData\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    [Inf] Game installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    [Inf] Game locale: English
    [Inf] Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080
    [Inf] Terminating T3.exe
    Now this is strange: https://www.google.com/webhp?complet...ion:+6.1.7601+ shows off Win 7, while I had windows 10 (the free upgrade)

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Grombolar View Post
    Everything's so pwetty now Thank you so much for the .zip and hard work, really appreciate it!
    You're welcome - but annoying not being able to find the cause of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Code:
    [Wrn] Running as administrator
    [Inf] Registry: ION_ROOT: D:\prova\
    [Inf] Registry: SaveGamePath: C:\ProgramData\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    [Inf] Game installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    Your SaveGamePath should be valid. On my machine C:\ProgramData\Documents is a sort of link to C:\Users\Public\Documents. If the same is the case on yours it might be worth a try giving SaveGamePath that value instead - just to avoid the indirection.

ION_ROOT is wrong. If you had the SU installed this wouldn't matter but since you want to run without the SU you must change it to the path of your install: C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows

You're running as administrator. When you get the game fixed, remove that - it's unnecessary.

Now this is strange: https://www.google.com/webhp?complet...ion:+6.1.7601+ shows off Win 7, while I had windows 10 (the free upgrade)
    Yes, that is strange. On my Win10 installs the version is reported correctly. Maybe you're actually running a Franken-OS after upgrading - until the month runs out and you can't revert to the old OS anymore?

Your SaveGamePath should be valid. On my machine C:\ProgramData\Documents is a sort of link to C:\Users\Public\Documents. If the same is the case on yours it might be worth a try giving SaveGamePath that value instead - just to avoid the indirection.

It was valid

ION_ROOT is wrong. If you had the SU installed this wouldn't matter but since you want to run without the SU you must change it to the path of your install: C:\Program Files (x86)\Thief - Deadly Shadows

You're running as administrator. When you get the game fixed, remove that - it's unnecessary.

Maybe that was the problem, even though I guess the game would crash instead of hanging and keeping to run in background.

Yes, that is strange. On my Win10 installs the version is reported correctly. Maybe you're actually running a Franken-OS after upgrading - until the month runs out and you can't revert to the old OS anymore

this is the perfect definition for Windows 10: a Franken-OS. Since Gates left Microsoft is getting worster and worster. Don't worry, I've already downgraded to the previous windows now I'll leave apart win 10 until anything sounds good.

A couple of Qs about the Sneakyupgrade......does the Sneakyupgrade in anyway make playing T3 missions more sensitive in the same way that NewDark is unforgiving in picking up errors in T1/T2 missions

I had just replayed 'Impurities in the Mix' and found that if you got too close to some walls or candles Garrett got burnt and lost life....I could understand getting burnt against a candle if you stood on it, but just walking past...as for getting burnt touching a wall.

Secondly there is a purse of coins in the barracks that shows up on screen as 50 loot but in the in game gear stats it is recorded as only 25....this is likely to be the cause of the loot difference between what I found in the mission 1025 and the 1050 that someone posted in the thread that they found when playing without the Sneakyupgrade installed

Thanks in advance....ps if you want a save let me know

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    does the Sneakyupgrade in anyway make playing T3 missions more sensitive in the same way that NewDark is unforgiving in picking up errors in T1/T2 missions
    No, the SU does most of its changes during startup, by manipulating the values being read from .ini files. The game engine is the same and original saves are compatible.

Some tweaks happen on the fly (FOV, fog) but those affect only one property. The only thing the SU does that can automatically make things more difficult is that your chosen difficulty level is respected in OM city maps, where the vanilla game is always on Normal. But that doesn't apply to FMs.

That said, bugs can happen...

I could understand getting burnt against a candle if you stood on it, but just walking past...as for getting burnt touching a wall.
    Secondly there is a purse of coins in the barracks that shows up on screen as 50 loot but in the in game gear stats it is recorded as only 25
    Probably issues with this particular FM, considering these Known Problems in the readme:

Code:
    The loot score is wrong, because the mission isn't counting loot gained.  It goes onto the gear/loot subscreen okay though.
    The forge in the generator room can hurt you through the wall by ths side door.
    If you don't think that's it, please upload a save near that aggressive candle.

this is likely to be the cause of the loot difference between what I found in the mission 1025 and the 1050 that someone posted in the thread that they found when playing without the Sneakyupgrade installed
    The total definitely shouldn't depend on whether the SU is installed or not. Might as well check it out. Can you upload a save from just before grabbing that purse?

Yikes.....Sneakyupgrade file rather different from T1/T2 folder......not sure which file to upload for quicksaves

in my SU/SFM-zSchism/SaveGames folder i have 3 folders which are are number of 8 letters and numbers such as FTR34954-....,a Current save and Save Index.ion.....which folder contains the quicksave, or do i need to upload a hard save if so how can i tell which folder is the hard save in question.....or do i upload the whole of the 'SaveGames' folder

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, T3 saves are weird. Each of the weirdly-named folders contains a save. If you open the tweaker and go to the bottom of the SU / Tweaks page there's an option for "plaintext save names". If you enable it and click apply it will ask whether to convert existing saves. After that it should be easier, just note down the time from the in-game list. When you've found the saves you want, zip up those folders.

(Alternatively load and re-save the relevant saves, then sort the folders by date to identify them.)

got it

this purse of coins shows up on screen as 50g but if you look at the 'in game' gear list it is added to loot as purse of coins 25 (already got 1...goes to 2, and loot total goes from 750 to 775)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jg&usp=sharing

as for getting burnt on wall thanks to pointing out info in read-me file....but this wall that i get burnt on is a good distance away from the furnace room...although i accept there is a vat of moltern metal to the right

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EU&usp=sharing

if you go through the door and through the next door on the right there is another area that burns you when you touch the walls

screenshots

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I've tried both your saves with the unpatched T3, in both cases the behaviour is the same as with the SU. In case of the burn, it probably is the fire in the generator room seeping through the walls - at least in the first location.

Just in case the weirdness had infected the saves I then started a new game, going straight for the purse (and still getting burnt). In that case it does count as 50, both on pick-up and in the list. But I repeated that with the SU installed and the behaviour was the same. So maybe the loot total will depend on the order in which you pick stuff up?

thanks for looking.....curious about that loot though, just restarted from new....and yes comes up as 50g when i went straight for it

Snobel, have you ever looked into the possibility of fixing the loading screening so when you save a game you can type in your own name of the save as you can with T1/T2, rather than only getting the date and time of each save....or is this one fix too far ?

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's come up before. But because there's no text input at all in T3 the best I could do would probably be to pop up an ugly, immersion-breaking standard Windows prompt.

Yeah that would be pretty ugly....but if it was included it in the SU tweaks could you set it up to give people the option of enabling/disabling ?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, that would be possible. I'll see if I can get it moved up a few notches on the to-do list.

Your to-do-list I guess is a bit like Jacob's ladder's

Rather long but eventually leading to heavenly perfection

Sneaky Upgrader

Hey man, new OS -> new awesome problems for you!

VSync not working on Win10. And forcing it in NVCP doesn't work

In high FPS condition (150-200) the mouse doesn't (slowed rotation!) behave properly, I must force the FPS limit to 60/65 through the tweaker.

(I'm using the GOG installer)
    Last edited by lowenz; 22nd Sep 2015 at 10:32.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Hey man, new OS -> new awesome problems for you!
    Yes, it's becoming a tradition.

VSync not working on Win10. And forcing it in NVCP doesn't work
    Hmm, that's worse than the brightness thing. Can't say I've noticed, but I don't spend much time with Win10...

In high FPS condition (150-200) the mouse doesn't (slowed rotation!) behave properly, I must force the FPS limit to 60/65 through the tweaker.
    Those frame rates would cause problems also with earlier Windows. Did you disable the limiter in the tweaker to get those high values, or does the default of 90 not work somehow?

(I'm using the GOG installer)
    That may have something to do with it, I've noticed vsync trouble with GOG once before. Try removing the SDB they install to disable Alt-Tab (see the first post, under Additional Notes). Make sure you're not running as admin, and that no compatibility modes are applied. (Sneaky.log will warn about those, unfortunately it cannot detect all of them.)

If that's not it I'll try getting some more Win10 testing done next weekend.

or does the default of 90 not work somehow?
    Disabled the limit to test. With the limit set to 65 the mouse is working good.

I noticed that Amnesia had bad mouse behavior in Windows 10 when anything other than the default DPI was chosen for text and icons.
    Perhaps something similar is happening here?

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    I noticed that Amnesia had bad mouse behavior in Windows 10 when anything other than the default DPI was chosen for text and icons.
    Perhaps something similar is happening here?
    I use the default DPI value but Snobel already fixed that problem (there's an option in the tweaker for that).
    Last edited by lowenz; 23rd Sep 2015 at 18:47.

Little misplament in Hammerite Cathedral wall:

Unquenchable candle in Stonemarket "false Garrett" dialogue room:

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks - those are for T3 Gold?

lowenz, have you tried running T3 with ReShade (or another DX8-to-9 layer) in fullscreen on Windows 10? If so, are brightness and vsync working? (If it's working then fixing T3 for ReShade may turn out to be the easiest/only solution for Win10. )

Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459 ... LastLast