TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    I'm glad to hear it but can you be more specific - just so I know if there's a bug or not? Was it the Max Refresh Rate, the multisampling option, or something else?

I set the max refresh rate to 0, and while I was at it I changed multi sampling to 0, since I had cranked it up to max. It might have been multi sampling altogether. I'm just glad it works now

Sneaky Upgrader
    If you don't mind, try setting Max Refresh Rate back to 85 temporarily and see if it makes the game crash again. But otherwise I'll just assume it was the multisampling setting, it seems to fit the Win10 pattern...

Max refresh rate set at 85hz causes no crash, so it was probably multi sampling

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's good news - thanks!

I ran into a problem that never happened before. I keep getting "No disc inserted" error message and the game never starts.
    I don't want to keep the CD inserted in drive. I've always played the game with a cracked t3.exe and later with the unprotected t3.exe from the editor pack.

1. Installed game from the CD (I have the retail CD game)
    2. installed the sneaky upgrade (Setup_T3SneakyUpgrade_Fat_1.1.5.2)
    ..... I just didn't select the minimalist project version to install and I did not make the gold version active
    3. restarted Windows 7
    4. tried to run the game (gamepath\system\t3.exd) but the error message appears

Doesn't the sneaky updated replace t3.exe by the unprotected one from the editor pack ? I don't have the editor pack anymore.
    There's no need to use a cracked t3.exe anymore.
    Last edited by CiroConsentino; 17th Nov 2015 at 08:46.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by CiroConsentino View Post
    Doesn't the sneaky updated replace t3.exe by the unprotected one from the editor pack ?
    Nope - get it from here. It's possible that the next SU will take care of this, not by including the editor version of T3.exe but by eliminating it altogether. That would also fix the Steam/FMSel issue.

Thanks. I've saved the editor files in a safe place this time
    It works great now. Playing at 4K resolution (3840x2160) with high quality textures. Gold is installed but not enabled though. I might try this later. Is it finished ? All zones loading were removed ?

After a couple failures I uninstalled the game and the sneaky upgrade to do a clean install. Then I checked this thread for install instructions (D'OH!)
    1. install game and start the game once.
    2. select a different resolution and enable EAX hardware settings (using a Audigy 2 ZS sound card with Creative Alchemy here...)
    3. exit game and install sneaky upgrade.
    4. change some of its settings and start game again.
    5. Set 4K resolution and other settings in game menus.

Everything looks great and play great. No more stretched UI and cut out maps either

Sneaky Upgrader
    I guess T3 Gold can be considered finished except for Beleg reworking the Inn mission. The current version has had no bugs reported for a long time. Loading zones have been removed in the proper missions, but not in the City.

I just tested the Gold mode. It works great, no problems so far. I started a new game and played the first two missions.

I've encountered one bug. When pressing SPACE to climb boxes and stuff, sometimes Garret doesn't climb it and starts to float in mid air. I can move around while he's floating and the only way to make him go back to the floor is select the bow and shoot an arrow.
    I don't remember this bug happening before.

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's a classic T3 bug. It seems to affect some people more than others ('aggressive' jumping/mantling style?), but it also depends on the level geometry. The only thing I've found which I think makes it better is to have vsync turned on. (And no admin/compatibility modes, because those can break vsync.)

To fix it you don't have to actually shoot an arrow, just hit attack very briefly.

ah, I didn't know this was a game bug. I've never had this bug before. Started with the sneaky upgrade... or maybe the unprotected T3.exe and t3main.exe files are causing it ?
    I used to play the game with a cracked .exe and with John P. High res textures.

>> To fix it you don't have to actually shoot an arrow, just hit attack very briefly.

Thanks for the tip. I can deal with the bug, no problem. I do have vsync enabled in game. I will try to disable it and enable adaptive vsync thru nVidia drivers. I'm using a EVGA GTX 970 4GB card with Win7 SP1 64-bits.
    I also have "texture cache" turned off in nVidia drivers, but I don't believe this is a driver bug.

I tried to lower the resolution of the game to 1920x1080 to match the res of my old monitor but the bug still happens.

Just for information... I tried the game on Win10 (November update, upgraded from a working Win7 install) before doing a clean Win7 install and didn't got this bug. But unfortunately EAX effects doesn't work with Audigy 2 ZS sound cards (damn Creative Labs refuses to release proper Win10 drivers for this old card). Creative Alchemy doesn't work in Win10, at least not for Audigy 2 ZS cards
    Even if using unofficial drivers I have to uncheck "Enable audio enhancements" setting but doing so, all sound card effects are disabled, including EAX. Since I play a few old games that use EAX, that's unacceptable for me (Thief3, GTA Vice City and San Andreas and others).

Thanks for the help.

I've been reading through this thread and trying some of the solutions but unfortunately for me this game always decides to crash on start with windows 10. When I run the game either from steam, desktop icon or .exe, it loads up into a black fullscreen momentarily, then just returns to desktop with no error message. I'm using Setup_T3SneakyUpgrade_Fat_1.1.5.2 on a fresh steam install after restarting and cleaning registry. Lost on what else to try. Below is a log, but looking at it it seems normal.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Session Start: 11/28/15 11:09:49 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Inf] File search path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures"
    [Inf] File search path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Menu & Loading Screens"
    [Inf] File search path: "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows"
    [Inf] OM override path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures"
    [Inf] OM override path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Menu & Loading Screens"
    [Inf] Display mode: 640 x 480, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 800 x 600, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1024 x 768, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1152 x 864, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 720, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 768, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 800, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 960, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1280 x 1024, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1360 x 768, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1366 x 768, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1600 x 900, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1600 x 1024, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1680 x 1050, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Display mode: 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz
    [Inf] Current mode: 1024 x 768, 75 Hz
    [Inf] Windows version: 10.0.10240 (64-bit)
    [Inf] SU version: 1.1.5.2
    [Inf] Sneaky.dll version: 1.1.5.734
    [Inf] T3Main.exe version: 1.1.5.341
    [Inf] T3.exe size: 69632
    [Inf] Options dir: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows\save\Options
    [Inf] Saves dir: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows\save\SaveGames
    [Inf] Full command line: "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows\system\T3Main.EXE"
    [Inf] Registry: ION_ROOT: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows
    [Inf] Registry: SaveGamePath: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows\save
    [Inf] Game installation path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows
    [Inf] Game locale: English
    [Inf] Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080
    [Inf] Running in fullscreen mode
    Last edited by zxe; 28th Nov 2015 at 06:39.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Good old Windows 10. The only thing I know of that makes the game crashy on Win10 is the multisampling setting. As the game won't start, you can open your options folder at E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows\save\Options and remove or rename Options.ini. Then try running the game again. If that's not it, make sure all game-specific settings in your graphics driver control panel are set to the defaults (which would be "application controlled" or "off").

Thanks Snobel, you were correct. Deleted the Options.ini and it was fine after. Tested multi-sampling and it crashed as you said. So is this only a windows 10 issue because I'm certain I had multisampling setting at max (x4) on windows 7.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Win7 should be fine, but there have been problems on Win8.x. Hopefully that's been fixed (the crashing at least), but Win10 brings something new and exciting... It should be possible, though, to fix the crashing here too, if not the actual multisampling function.

I installed SU Fat edition yesterday and I would like to tweak a little to make my own version. I'm interested in some tweaks found here. Should I edit the files the guide suggests, or is there a danger that some mods overwrite them? I use all the mods. Also, I'm not very pleased with Minimalist Project, since it just changes things too much, and gives no option to some. But I like to keep some of the changes.

There are two folders in Installed Mods: "Minimalist Project" and "Minimalist Project mbwndebretxe", what is the deal with that? Also the same for Collective Texture Pack.

I want to keep:
    • wall hugging bug fix
    • weapons exposure
    • loot glint only in frobbing distance
    • hud slide away
    • hud clamps removed
    • hud gears removed
    • gear select sounds removed
    • thiefy like animations
    • only crouching is silent
    • no mech eye sounds
    • plus mostly all optional ones

I want to change:
    • Original fonts. While I get the idea, the fonts just seem very low quality, especially in the menu. I'd like to have newer, higher resolution version. I found the font files in \Minimalist Project\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded . Can I just change those? Do the dimensions etc. have to be the same? There is also \Minimalist Project\Content\T3\PCTextures\Fonts folder with two .cel files.

I want to remove:
    • Health gems as shields
    • Play styles
    • force 1st person cam. I know the manual says this is a must, since MP breaks 3rd person. But if the thing that breaks it is the new animations, I can live without them.

These don't really matter if they are on or off:
    • fatigue removed
    • glowing feet removed
    • tutorial helptext changed
    • edible food
    • retro hud
    • wider health bar
    • use function remapped

Can you give me some help? Would it be easier to start from scratch, and make a new mod with the changes I want, or strip Minimalist Project? Most of the things I want are already explained in the tweak guide anyway.

Other things:
    1. I use classic speed, but creeping never seems to work. Running works fine, but otherwise Garrett always uses walk speed. Without classic speed it works just as intended.
    2. Background mode for menu and smokey soup don't work. Smokey soup is always off and background mode for menus is always black. Are these forced by Minimalist Project?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    I installed SU Fat edition yesterday and I would like to tweak a little to make my own version. I'm interested in some tweaks found here. Should I edit the files the guide suggests, or is there a danger that some mods overwrite them?
    The SU is not really geared towards customization, but if you absolutely want to then you can customize things to some extent.

While it's possible to have other mods than the four included, the SneakyTweaker tool will not recognize them, and will remove them from the list. (Allowing custom mods is on the to-do list, somewhere.) So either avoid using the tweaker and set things up by manually editing SneakyOptions.ini or (better, probably) since you want the briefings, use that mod to build up your own by copying stuff over from the other mods and adding to the tweaks override file (SneakyOptions_diff.ini) contained in the mod. You'll then probably want to disable MP and copy stuff over instead.

Many of the tweaks in the SU come from that thread. If you want to manually edit .ini files etc. then make sure to set as much stuff as possible in the tweak tool to the default values, otherwise the values in the .ini files can be overridden internally. (And there will be values that you can't change, even with everything at default - some things are overridden to adjust for widescreen etc.) It'll be cleanest to copy .ini files you want to change into your custom mod, instead of modifying the ones in the game install.

There are two folders in Installed Mods: "Minimalist Project" and "Minimalist Project mbwndebretxe", what is the deal with that? Also the same for Collective Texture Pack.
    Damn. The installer will install the mods into temporary folders, which are then renamed when the installation is complete. (A work-around for a bug in the installer software.) Sometimes the renaming fails, probably because of AV interference. The folders should be named "Minimalist Project" and "Collective Texture Pack". Check which one appears to have content, then delete the other one (and rename if necessary). To be completely sure everything's OK, uninstall, turn off AV and reinstall.

I'll see if things can be improved in the next SU version...

I want to keep:
    I want to change:
    I want to remove:
    Some stuff is set by the gamesys files, so you'll have to copy those in from the MP (and then it's either all or nothing). Some stuff is provided by external resource files, like removed sounds (empty .sch files in the Sounds folder) and the health shields (mesh and texture files, IIRC). Some stuff is changed through .ini files, like the HUD which is mostly in T3UI.ini. And some stuff is changed in .sch files, like the names and descriptions of play styles. To change the play style difficulty settings back to normal, copy in the [Difficulty] section of Default.ini from the original file.

I'm afraid I don't have a full list of all these things, so you'll have to experiment. If there's a thing you really want but can't figure out, then post about it - I'll try to track it down.

Original fonts. While I get the idea, the fonts just seem very low quality, especially in the menu. I'd like to have newer, higher resolution version. I found the font files in \Minimalist Project\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded . Can I just change those? Do the dimensions etc. have to be the same? There is also \Minimalist Project\Content\T3\PCTextures\Fonts folder with two .cel files.
    There's a description here, of how you can use external resource files in mods. You can customize fonts too, but in order to use bigger textures you need to add an extra parameter to the .cel file. There's a tool called FontTaffer for making T3 font textures from truetype fonts - which reminds me, I have an updated version of that, which should be posted...

1. I use classic speed, but creeping never seems to work. Running works fine, but otherwise Garrett always uses walk speed. Without classic speed it works just as intended.
    2. Background mode for menu and smokey soup don't work. Smokey soup is always off and background mode for menus is always black. Are these forced by Minimalist Project?
    2 is due to the MP - you can change those in the SneakyOptions_diff.ini file in the MP root folder. (I don't remember why those overrides can't be changed in the tweaker.) 1 may be a MP side-effect as well. I'll have a look and see if it can be avoided.

Edit: Updated FontTaffer posted in the old thread.
    Last edited by snobel; 2nd Dec 2015 at 10:16.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    The SU is not really geared towards customization, but if you absolutely want to then you can customize things to some extent.

While it's possible to have other mods than the four included, the SneakyTweaker tool will not recognize them, and will remove them from the list. (Allowing custom mods is on the to-do list, somewhere.) So either avoid using the tweaker and set things up by manually editing SneakyOptions.ini or (better, probably) since you want the briefings, use that mod to build up your own by copying stuff over from the other mods and adding to the tweaks override file (SneakyOptions_diff.ini) contained in the mod. You'll then probably want to disable MP and copy stuff over instead.

Many of the tweaks in the SU come from that thread. If you want to manually edit .ini files etc. then make sure to set as much stuff as possible in the tweak tool to the default values, otherwise the values in the .ini files can be overridden internally. (And there will be values that you can't change, even with everything at default - some things are overridden to adjust for widescreen etc.) It'll be cleanest to copy .ini files you want to change into your custom mod, instead of modifying the ones in the game install.
    Fair enough, but isn't that mod almost the lowest on the priority list? Or would the default values not override the new values in the custom mod (ie Briefings mod)?

Damn. The installer will install the mods into temporary folders, which are then renamed when the installation is complete. (A work-around for a bug in the installer software.) Sometimes the renaming fails, probably because of AV interference. The folders should be named "Minimalist Project" and "Collective Texture Pack". Check which one appears to have content, then delete the other one (and rename if necessary). To be completely sure everything's OK, uninstall, turn off AV and reinstall.

I'll see if things can be improved in the next SU version...
    All 4 folders had content, but the two pairs were not identical. After a test, seemed like the folders with those names you stated showed the changes made in SneakyTweaker. Anyhoo, I uninstalled SU, rebooted and reinstalled SU, this time forgetting to disable AV and weirdly enough, I have the correct folders.

2 is due to the MP - you can change those in the SneakyOptions_diff.ini file in the MP root folder. (I don't remember why those overrides can't be changed in the tweaker.) 1 may be a MP side-effect as well. I'll have a look and see if it can be avoided.
    I disabled Minimalist patch and Classic Speed works now and background mode for menus, but I can't get the smokey soup to work.

Thank you for your reply! I think I can get started with that advice.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    Fair enough, but isn't that mod almost the lowest on the priority list? Or would the default values not override the new values in the custom mod (ie Briefings mod)?
    No, the defaults (in the SU section of the tweaker) can be overridden by any mod. The briefing mod already has one override to have the objectives shown after the movie, instead of the briefing text.

I disabled Minimalist patch and Classic Speed works now and background mode for menus, but I can't get the smokey soup to work.
    The MP changes creep speed to 0.48, which is very close to the 'classic' walking speed of 0.5. I should probably make the Classic Speed tweak override the creep setting with the default value.

You don't get the soup even with the MP disabled and No Smokey Soup unchecked on the Tweaks page?

Yep, doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    copying stuff over from the other mods and adding to the tweaks override file (SneakyOptions_diff.ini) contained in the mod.
    One more question. How do you exactly do that? If I want to edit some parameters, say, Tint_R, Tint_G and Tint_B under [MechEyeOverlay] in Default.ini (as per the tweaking guide). Do I copy the "clean" Default.ini over from the base game folder and edit just those lines, or what? How to add the tweak to the override file?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Values in the SneakyOptions_diff.ini file will override values from SneakyOptions.ini. Not all values can (or should!) be overridden. For the other .ini files, copy the original into the mod in the same location and modify. So for the example - yes, create the System folder, copy Default.ini into it and modify the lines in the MechEyeOverlay section.

Sneaky Upgrader
    A bit of new stuff has accumulated - here's a standard edition beta. Testing will be appreciated, of course. Any reported bugs will be fixed in January.

The most important change is that the T3.exe launcher is not needed anymore. That should make things easier for Steam and GOG users in particular. Additionally the remaining patched exe files have been renamed, making it possible to run both the unpatched and patched game from the same installation.

There's a new Window Mode option in the tweaker's Display page: Fullscreen, windowed or borderless windowed mode can be set easily now. (Borderless mode currently doesn't change the desktop resolution to fit the game - maybe it should?)

New tweaks, which mainly came about as a result of fortuni's T3 FM walkthrough effort:

• Mouse sensitivity
    • Run speed
    • Gravity (no longer part of the Physics Improvements tweak)
    • Ambient light

As for the Windows 10 issues, it looks like the recent build (10586) fixes the game crashing on multisampling settings 2 and 4. (So maybe there's hope for brightness and vsync?) Anyway, this SU has a fix, which should stop the crashing on earlier Win10 builds as well.

Edit: Caught two cases of stupidity - file updated, please redownload if you got version 514 or 515.
    Last edited by snobel; 6th Dec 2015 at 11:36.

Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661 ... LastLast