TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Hi snobel.

I started working with multiple game titles running on Unreal Engine 3, mostly on the internal cheats part (God, Fly, Ghost, PlayersOnly, etc.), whereas either the console was disabled or, if available, UE cheat commands were not compiled in (though the functions' effects could be manually replicated). Can you provide any insight on how these would be achieved in Thief 3 (I know it's running on a modified Unreal Engine 2)? And by that, is there anything you know of, an editor (or in the editor) that would lead to these cheats? I saw in your post above something related to "gravity". Please comment on these, if possible.

See:

Batman: Arkham Origins - http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=569076
    Batman: Arkham City - http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=569401
    Borderlands 2 - http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=565668
    Dishonored - http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=568001
    Bioshock Infinite - http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=565557

BR,
    Sun

Sneaky Upgrader
    Interesting...

Most of the tweaks provided by the SU are done by manipulating values as they are being read in from .ini files - a somewhat crude but safe way to do it. The gravity tweak is just one setting in Default.ini. The difficulty tweak is a combination of settings, also from Default.ini. Some things are manipulated in memory, though, like the fog and ambient light tweaks.

The T3 Editor Pack comes with an alternative exe file (T3MainOptVersion.exe, must be renamed to T3Main.exe), which has an active console. It's a different binary of course, but if you find 'interesting' code in it it's often possible to locate the same code in the normal exe, e.g. by doing a command sequence search in OllyDbg. I haven't used the console much, but you can download the pack and look at the file T3Menu.ini, which maps console commands to a (non-working?) debug menu. Many commands can be figured out from that.

For completeness, the 'shipping' version of the exe in the editor pack is the one which normally comes with the game, while the 'release' version - which the SU is based on - is like the shipping version but with some fixes to make it work with FMs.

There's a bunch of T3 FM walkthroughs in the pipeline (by fortuni). For that effort I've patched the 'opt' exe console a bit so that it can show loot and keys (based on the existing objectinfo command). There's a teaser video here, where you can see the console in action. (Slight spoiler alert for the FM Thief's Rising!)

Hey snobel, just wanted to say thanks for the new version (and for making the entire thing really!). The borderless window mode is just what I needed to get the better of my two recording programs to play nice with Thief 3. And no more crashing and/or recording stop between loads either!

EDIT: Although, in-game brightness doesn't work in windowed mode. I can use the NVIDIA control panel's brightness/contrast/gamma settings, but they reset themselves every time the game restarts (starting a mission, loading a save etc)
    Last edited by FenPhoenix; 12th Dec 2015 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    EDIT: Although, in-game brightness doesn't work in windowed mode. I can use the NVIDIA control panel's brightness/contrast/gamma settings, but they reset themselves every time the game restarts (starting a mission, loading a save etc)
    Hi Fen! You can set those in Default.ini, under [GammaBrightnessContrastList]. There's min and max for each three settings, so the in-game "brightness" slider actually adjusts every setting within those limits. You can change those values (copy the file over to Briefings mod for example) and reload to test the effect. And if you set the min and max of one setting to be the same, you can effectively lock the value down, making it independent of the slider. It might take some time to adjust them correctly, but what I actually did was that I set all values to 1, took a screenshot and edited g/b/c in Gimp. That way I immediately could see the effects and once I was satisfied, I matched the settings in Default.ini. I actually left contrast to be adjustable in the game options (not all missions are equally dark). might make more sense to leave gamma adjustable, but I like it this way. Here's my settings, they might be too dark for most people, but they look realistic to me, and that's the way I want it.

Code:
    [GammaBrightnessContrastList]
    GammaMin=1.11
    GammaMax=1.11
    BrightnessMin=1.09
    BrightnessMax=1.09
    ContrastMin=1.1
    ContrastMax=1.3

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    in-game brightness doesn't work in windowed mode.
    that's a DirectX thing, a feature, not a bug. try increasing the brightness of your desktop via the gpu control panel.

Any chance to see the Fat version as Christmas present?

Okay, so basically I've been setting some custom brightness/contrast/gamma in the Nvidia control panel, but it's been resetting back to default brightness/contrast/gamma every time Thief 3 restarts (in other words, when it loads a mission or a save). More specifically, the values reset themselves whenever the desktop takes focus back from the game. (BTW, I have Sneaky Upgrade set not to disable desktop composition (Aero is enabled) because otherwise my recording program will cut out during game restarts as it can't record a non-Aero desktop.)
    Anyway, apparently this color-settings-reset thing is an Nvidia problem that they aren't going to fix. So in the spirit of telling people how I solved a problem rather than just saying "solved it thx!" , I found a program that can work around it by re-applying a color profile every time something resets it:

Color Profile Keeper
    http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

It's really simple to use, just read the readme. Personally the Reset button didn't work for me, so I'd recommend the following procedure:
    1. Make sure your brightness/contrast/gamma (in other words color settings) are the way you normally want them for general use.
    2. Open up CPKeeper and click the * button (Grab & save current gamma ramp). Save it. This will be your general use profile.
    3. Now go into your Nvidia control panel (or whatever you use) and set up your color settings the way you want them for Thief 3. Apply them.
    4. Go back to CPKeeper and repeat step 2. Now you have a Thief 3 profile.
    5. Whenever you want to play Thief 3 in a window while keeping your custom color settings, just open up CPKeeper, load your Thief 3 profile, make sure "Lock profile(s)" is checked, and hit Apply. Now when you play Thief 3, every time it has to restart, CPKeeper will automatically set your color settings back to those in your Thief 3 profile.
    6. When you're done playing Thief 3, go back to CPKeeper and load up your general use profile and hit Apply. Then you can close CPKeeper.

This is sorta cumbersome, but not nearly as bad as having to go into the gpu control panel and nudge the sliders every single time you load a mission or a save.

I hope this helps the one other person in the world who is ever going to run into this extremely specific situation ever!
    Last edited by FenPhoenix; 13th Dec 2015 at 06:41. Reason: explaining the problem and solution

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks for the explanation - a sorta cumbersome solution is definitely better than none. I'm glad you find the borderless mode useful - should probably have added that a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Any chance to see the Fat version as Christmas present?
    That could be done of course, but it's not really needed - you'll get the same by installing the beta on top of the fat 1.1.5.2, keeping the mods.

That's not actually completely true - because gravity is now a separate tweak, the Minimalist Project needs one change: You have to add
    Code:
    GravityFactor=1.75
    to the Tweaks section of the MP's SneakyOptions_diff.ini file.

Edit: Or did you mean a fat edition including the expanded Inn mission? That's a question for Dr. Cúthalion.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Edit: Or did you mean a fat edition including the expanded Inn mission? That's a question for Dr. Cúthalion.
    !

@snobel: Awesomeness, exactly what I needed. All of the games I mentioned above were "worked on" in this way: started with/from UDK3, where console and all commands were available, then figured out the effects of the UE3 commands and mapped them to a static base pointer initially. It was all a matter of finding that base pointer (TheWorld) in all games and building up pointered paths to the features I wanted turned on/off. Do note all of the games I mentioned don't have a console and/or if they do, the commands of interest didn't work! Fun fact is the effects of the commands (the BOOLs or DWORDs) are compiled within, they just need finding and switching with the correct value Later on I reverted to UObjects (finding them via functions that return object name, then based on this name, retrieving its address in-memory). After that was done, you could easily map the features, extracting the correct offsets from the UObjects' structures for: god, fly, ghost, playersonly, slomo - even togglehud Either that or directly calling the UObjects

I'll play around with the console build to get a feel on UE2. Thanks for this, you rock! Back soon with updates.

BR,
    Sun
    Last edited by SunBeam; 14th Dec 2015 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    !
    Oh, yeah, bout that... I had to fix a few navigation mesh bugs but the Inn is now playable. Or should be, I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. And then it would only be a standard Inn mission that is, however, playable on NORMAL and up without any tutorial scripting interference. If that works, I can start expanding it. I had hoped to get it ready until Christmas but I have been busy lately, also travelling through Germany and even to southern France. But I'm still on it.

@snobel: Can you share that patched version or should I start patching it myself? I'm assuming it's a simple filter in objectinfo portion of code to show only certain classes of objects (such as 'loot' with 'x' and 'keys' with 'o', whose classes I would know if I checked T3Editor)

On another note, the official T3Main.exe contains the cheats I'm looking for, just not the commands and console to toggle them Plus some missing code for the console part. Will post stuff in another thread, as I don't want to hijack this one (posted it here).

BR,
    Sun
    Last edited by SunBeam; 14th Dec 2015 at 19:48.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, that's how it works. I'll PM you some info later today. Good news that the cheat code was not compiled out.

Hey guys, is it possible to integrate GarrAT animation tweaks into this? The tweak doesn't work if applied to the SU, which is a shame as it is really helpful in making better first person experience of the game.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I hope to be able to add this in - but doing it so that it'll work with both T3 Gold, the original game and FMs, and be optional, is going to take quite a bit of work.

For the original game you can copy in the files manually: The Shaders folder and T3PlayerAnims.ini go in The System folder, Kernel_GFXALL.ibt in Content\T3\Maps. (Back up the original files.) T3G will have 'funny' side effects after this...

Edit: Post #666.
    Last edited by snobel; 23rd Dec 2015 at 15:02.

I hope to be able to add this in - but doing it so that it'll work with both T3 Gold, the original game and FMs, and be optional, is going to take quite a bit of work.

For the original game you can copy in the files manually: The Shaders folder and T3PlayerAnims.ini go in The System folder, Kernel_GFXALL.ibt in Content\T3\Maps. (Back up the original files.) T3G will have 'funny' side effects after this...
    Do you mean it is possible to use both your T3 Gold and GarrAT animation by replacing files as you wrote? I don't quite understand the difference between T3 Gold and the original (unmodded?).

Thanks for quick reply btw! This is the only reason why I don't upgrade.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Well, T3 Gold is a mod (by Beleg Cúthalion) to remove loading zones in the non-City parts of Thief 3. It contains some replacement files that will be loaded instead of the original files. You can copy in the GarrAT files so that they will be loaded with T3G but the animations are very erratic. So at this point you can't have both T3G and GarrAT, I'm afraid - it's either or.

Well, T3 Gold is a mod (by Beleg Cúthalion) to remove loading zones in the non-City parts of Thief 3. It contains some replacement files that will be loaded instead of the original files. You can copy in the GarrAT files so that they will be loaded with T3G but the animations are very erratic. So at this point you can't have both T3G and GarrAT, I'm afraid - it's either or.
    Pity. Oh well, maybe if you would do it one day would be nice. I guess have no other option but to wait if it will be ever done.

I have to give the GarrAT tweaker a second go; I don't remember any worthwhile effects from last time, at least nothing better than in the Minimalist Project (whose movement tweaks I could never really pin-point and thus not make them available for T3G).

The game crashed on me, after I exited Pavelock Prison and wen't back to South Quarter. A few seconds later, crash...
    Here's the crash info.
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	T3Main.EXE
      Application Version:	1.1.5.341
      Application Timestamp:	419badb1
      Fault Module Name:	T3Main.EXE
      Fault Module Version:	1.1.5.341
      Fault Module Timestamp:	419badb1
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	002d5a68
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	3179
      Additional Information 2:	31795f6fe526d26a59172c62c38bb299
      Additional Information 3:	12c9
      Additional Information 4:	12c9017f0a21ea2f74628d2b52350b58

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    I've also uploaded the savegame were the error happens (South Quarter)... the game crashes just a few seconds later.
    Savegame in MEGA link (2.2 MB):
    https://mega.co.nz/#!FJJ3XbJR!h3-nUn...UpXVNXb4jnVc4s

I'm playing at full screen with Win7 themes enabled.

I have the retail CD installed with latest Sneaky Updgrade. John P. high-res textures enabled and playing with t3 Gold enabled.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks for the crash report. The save you've uploaded is the "Current Save" folder, which is not a real savegame - or maybe it is, but it's rejected because the SaveManifest file is missing. Can you upload it again as a normal save (preferred) or a quicksave?

Ok, I've saved the game again using QuickSave]. Here's a MEGA link.
    QuickSave
    https://mega.co.nz/#!4Bw3SKyA!gpGVTN...WvIWcyIeME7ejk

Strange. re-saving the game with QuickSave, no more crashes. Weird is, I loaded the save that crashes and immediately saved the game with QuickSave. Game crashed but when I restarted the game and loaded the game "QuickSave", game did NOT crash! I don't get it...

Here's the full save slot that is still crashing. I re-saved the game creating a new Save Slot just to be sure and to include the SaveManifest.
    Just move closer to the Pagan well were you get the glove. The game should crash before reaching the well.

Normal Save Slot (crashing). Name: South Quarter - 01/02/16 12:10:34
    https://mega.co.nz/#!MZ5iGaob!9Yvbd9...Md1X650LVclYZw

Sorry, the files were mixed up. Both links fixed. Please get them again.
    Last edited by CiroConsentino; 2nd Jan 2016 at 15:42.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I get the quicksave on both links?

Links fixed. Please try again.

Is it still possible to use GarrettLoader with the new Beta? In version 1.1.5.2. it was still possible to use, but now with missing T3.exe you can´t anymore. Would it possible to still keep this file to make it able to use with GarrettLoader? Would be great.

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast