TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38131823242526272829303132333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by CiroConsentino View Post
    Links fixed. Please try again.
    Got it. I can reproduce the crash. I'll have a closer look a bit later.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Is it still possible to use GarrettLoader with the new Beta? In version 1.1.5.2. it was still possible to use, but now with missing T3.exe you can´t anymore. Would it possible to still keep this file to make it able to use with GarrettLoader? Would be great.
    Is it because of T3.exe being gone, or is it because of T3Main.exe having been renamed? If it's the latter, then I should be able to make it so that you can just rename it back after installation. If it's the first, can you figure out in more detail what's going wrong?

Thank you. The game never crashed here using the Sneaky Upgrade. I think this problem might be related to T3 Gold, but since the save game is not compatible, I can't test it to make sure.
    No rush since I managed to go forward without crashes by using QuickSave.

One interesting thing. If I load the game from a save that makes the game crash, creating new save slots and reloading those new saves, still makes the game crash.
    But creating a quicksave, and loading from it, the game works fine without any crashes..

I think this problem might be related to T3 Gold
    I'm not so sure about that. The only changes to both maps are cosmetic in nature, aside from the enforcer thing (on what day did it occur?). Snobel, how exactly does it happen?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Letting it crash in the debugger didn't reveal anything useful - was a long shot anyway, with no debugging info available.

But I found a way to disable the integrity check for savegames, which was enough to make this save work with the orig South Quarter map. No crash then - so it may be a T3G issue, although it could be a fluke that could also have happened in the orig map.

It's probably related to this guy on the right:

The game crashes as soon as the area where he's standing comes into view - or you get too close. He's just standing there indefinitely, so probably got stuck. When using either CiroConsentino's later save which fixed itself, or the bad save with the orig map, he's not there. (I think he's the guy going up and down the stairs close by on the right?)

It's on Day One, btw.

snobel: It's probably related to this guy on the right...

The crash seems to be random to me.

Beleg: it was after Garret got the quest to get the Paw. After that, I got myself killed and escaped Pavelock Prison. The game wasn't crashing until then. When Garret re-appeared in South Quarter, game crashed.

What puzzles me is that by creating a save with QuickSave right in the same spot were the problematic save is crashing, the game doesn't crash anymore.
    But if I create a new save slot, game crashes.

snobel might be right. The original game must have this weird bug. Strange that in all my years re-playing this game over and over, it never crashed. I guess I was lucky.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The crash seems to be random to me.
    Try going into 1st person, go to the left around the corner while looking down. Do not enter the street that leads to the well or look up that way. When you're standing at the wall at the end of that street, look to the side, look up, turn very slowly. Turning either way, it crashes a bit before that guy comes into view.

What puzzles me is that by creating a save with QuickSave right in the same spot were the problematic save is crashing, the game doesn't crash anymore.
    But if I create a new save slot, game crashes.
    Nice find - I'll try to have a look at where the two ways of saving differ.

snobel might be right. The original game must have this weird bug.
    It's too early for that conclusion. I hope Beleg will have a look at things in the editor, to be on the safe side.

Tried it. Sometimes the game crashes immediately and others it takes a few more seconds. That blond guy stuck there is not normal, it might be a game bug afterall since I've noticed this kind of bug thru the entire game.
    Last edited by CiroConsentino; 4th Jan 2016 at 09:28.

Hi folks,

This is my first post here, and coming back to Thief after *years* away.

Forgive me if I'm being a complete dumbass, but I've installed the FAT patch that includes the texture packs etc. Now I click the cyan icon on my desktop and the list of installed mods is empty and the only option is to play without FM.

What am I doing wrong? I was assuming that the installer knows where it puts everything, but likely I'm suffering from low IQ at the moment.

Some help would be really appreciated.

PS I'm running the Steam version of Thief.

Many thanks

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're probably just mixing up FMs (extra levels) and mods (modifications to the original game, which may also work with FMs).

The cyan icon is for the FM selector. The list is empty because you must download those yourself, and point FMSel to the download location.

The mods were installed with the Fat Edition. All mods are disabled by default. If you didn't make them active during installation, click the green icon and have a look at the page it opens to. There's a checkbox for each mod. (Two for the texture pack.) Just select those you want and click OK.

Since you're on Steam you might want to install the beta so that the yellow and cyan icons will launch the orig game and FMSel respectively, as intended. (Installing it will uninstall the previous version. When asked whether to uninstall the mods, click "No".)

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    You're probably just mixing up FMs (extra levels) and mods (modifications to the original game, which may also work with FMs).

The cyan icon is for the FM selector. The list is empty because you must download those yourself, and point FMSel to the download location.

The mods were installed with the Fat Edition. All mods are disabled by default. If you didn't make them active during installation, click the green icon and have a look at the page it opens to. There's a checkbox for each mod. (Two for the texture pack.) Just select those you want and click OK.

Since you're on Steam you might want to install the beta so that the yellow and cyan icons will launch the orig game and FMSel respectively, as intended. (Installing it will uninstall the previous version. When asked whether to uninstall the mods, click "No".)
    Ok it seems to be working...but for some reason looks like it's in a window instead of fullscreen, albeit at my resolution of 1920 x 1080
    Last edited by Ezuna; 5th Jan 2016 at 05:16.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Try setting MultiSampling to 1 in the game's options if it's set higher. If that fixes it, you can try setting it to 3. 2 and 4 won't work.

Did you install the beta? If you did, then check that the Window Mode (on the Display page) is set to Fullscreen.

Ok excellent - installed the beta, now have fullscreen

Only 2 'issues' I have :

(1) bloom and AA seem mutually exclusive - is this just a feature of the old engine?
    (2) I am pressing 'V' to get 3rd person mode but it's not working for some reason.

Sneaky Upgrader
    1: Yes.
    2: 3rd person is disabled by the Minimalist Project - so if the MP is active that would explain it.

1: Yes.
    2: 3rd person is disabled by the Minimalist Project - so if the MP is active that would explain it.
    That's it sorted now thanks very much for your help

It's too early for that conclusion. I hope Beleg will have a look at things in the editor, to be on the safe side.
    I cannot say much unfortunately. The guy seems to be the one from the first floor in the building right (literally) next to it. The area is included in the nav mesh so any AI can go there. He doesn't have a scripted reason, though, neither does anyone else, there is no marker to be found. If it is another AI, I have even less ideas, but disoriented AIs are nothing new in this game. Can anyone remember clipping-based crashes?

Sneaky Upgrader
    We'll probably have to write it off as a fluke after all.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Is it still possible to use GarrettLoader with the new Beta? In version 1.1.5.2. it was still possible to use, but now with missing T3.exe you can´t anymore. Would it possible to still keep this file to make it able to use with GarrettLoader? Would be great.
    You can make it work: After installing the beta, rename or move T3Main.exe, then make a copy of Thief3.exe and rename it T3Main.exe. There's a couple of minor draw-backs: T3.exe won't get a handshake from T3Main.exe so it'll exit with a Launch Error message, which you won't see until you quit the game. And if you rely on the themes-disabling fix to hide the desktop it won't be active between the menu and the first launch.

Thanks and sorry for answering so late, but I think GarrettLoader really needs T3.exe as a file or it cannot locate the game. At least thats what I thought. Which file should be renamed to T3.exe if that´s indeed the case?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, GL will launch T3.exe, but T3.exe is still there after installing the beta. Actually none of the original exe files are touched anymore.

All T3.exe does is launch T3Main.exe and then just hang around in the background until you quit the game. So to trick T3.exe into launching the beta exe you need the copy of it renamed to what T3.exe expects. (The beta exe, Thief3.exe, will relaunch itself under that name, which is why you must copy it before renaming.)

To summarize:

1. Install the beta on top of GL
    2. Rename T3Main.exe to e.g. T3Main.exe.disabled
    3. Copy Thief3.exe and rename the copy T3Main.exe
    4. If you're a GOG user, remove 'run as admin' mode from T3.exe

I have an old laptop which still has GL on it. I tried it there, and it works except for the timeout message box, as described.
    Last edited by snobel; 17th Feb 2016 at 10:30. Reason: GOG quirk

Sneaky on Windows 7 (32-bit) VMWare

I've set up Thief III in a VMWare Player VM running Windows 7 (32-bit Ultimate). This seems to work mostly fine and dandy when unpatched;there are some minor annoyances such as glitchy audio and invisible pagan cornerstones that I'd love to diagnose but can't really be bothered. What interests me far more is the widescreen support, FOV extension and AI improvements of the T3 Sneaky Upgrade.

When patched, however, it is almost impossible to start a game. The mouse seems completely out of sync with the cursor on screen, which causes buttons on the menus to light up erratically despite the cursor being nowhere near them. With some trial and error I'm able to find an exact position that corresponds to a button; I have to kind of blindly move the mouse around fractions of an inch at a time... As you can imagine this is quite a tedious process. I'd rather just uninstall the upgrade and play the game as it was originally.

The resolution for my VM is 1366x768, though I have tried other resolutions with no success. I've messed around with menu cropping, setting it to 1.77 to match my VM resolution while also messing with the resolution settings below that (in the custom display mode, with the refresh rate below that set to 0 and 60 for different trials)... Though that makes no difference; if I set it to 640x480 and 1.33 (the default value) the problems persist. I've tried enabling the "Mouse improvements"; that didn't seem to improve anything either. I've tried with the "fallback mouse cursor font size threshold" set to 0, 1, 6 and 144...

Do you have any suggestions?

Sneaky Upgrader
    No suggestions I'm afraid - I have T3 running in VMWare Player too, on a Win10 'insider' installation. It has the same symptoms with the mouse, but there's no difference if the game is patched or not. Also, I find that if I keep the mouse pointer above a button and wiggle it a bit, then the button will be selected (light up). And the issue is only in the menus, not in the game proper. It's unlikely that it can be fixed by changing the SU settings...

What's your host OS? As an alternative the patched game runs well with Wine 1.8 in XP mode and with the msvcp120 and msvcr120 libraries set to 'native'.

Hi, I just installed T3. It installed in Programme Files, then I installed sneaky upgrade. I need help with the settings. When the Fm starts the screen adjusts towards the left side of the screen. It's not centered. Also, the mouse movements are too quick. Another thing is the inside of buildings look foggy. I haven't been outside yet so don't know if that is the same.
    Forgot to ask if T3 has to be played with the cd

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    Hi, I just installed T3. It installed in Programme Files, then I installed sneaky upgrade. I need help with the settings. When the Fm starts the screen adjusts towards the left side of the screen. It's not centered.
    Your first problem just seems to be a resolution issue(I would know). Try messing around with the resolution slider until it fits your screen.

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38131823242526272829303132333843485358 ... LastLast