TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722272829303132333435363742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

snobel, just out of interest, was the mouse-freeze fix something that could be easily replicated for Deus Ex 2, which also suffers from it at high DPI and uses the same engine as T3?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Do you have the Windows font size set to something larger than normal? This is a classic T3 bug that the SU should fix in most cases - but apparently not for you...

Go to the Advanced page in the SneakyTweaker tool and change the last value there from 144 to 1 (force on). Then click OK and restart the game and see if it has been fixed.
    That's fixed it! Many thanks snobel.

Still can't figure out why my DVD drive rattles on long after the game is finished though. I have to eject it after every game session, but a minor fag.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    snobel, just out of interest, was the mouse-freeze fix something that could be easily replicated for Deus Ex 2, which also suffers from it at high DPI and uses the same engine as T3?
    Probably. If DX2 has a [mousecursor] section in Default.ini you can check if the manual fix (which the SU fix is based on) works. If it does, then I'm sure the SU fix could be ported. Even if the manual fix as described doesn't work, there's another possibility to test.

Edit: I noticed you already tried that...

Edit 2: I tried the other way I was thinking of. No luck. So while I'm sure the fix could be ported, it would take too much time to count as "easy".

Quote Originally Posted by Raflette View Post
    Still can't figure out why my DVD drive rattles on long after the game is finished though. I have to eject it after every game session, but a minor fag.
    Do you have the original DVD or something newer? Are you using a SU version older than 1.1.6? (In the original release the DVD check was handled by T3.exe, which is bypassed in SU versions 1.1.6.x. So with the newest SU the DVD should not be accessed at all.)
    Last edited by snobel; 10th Apr 2016 at 03:40.

Probably. If DX2 has a [mousecursor] section in Default.ini you can check if the manual fix (which the SU fix is based on) works. If it does, then I'm sure the SU fix could be ported. Even if the manual fix as described doesn't work, there's another possibility to test.

Edit: I noticed you already tried that...

Do you have the original DVD or something newer? Are you using a SU version older than 1.1.6? (In the original release the DVD check was handled by T3.exe, which is bypassed in SU versions 1.1.6.x. So with the newest SU the DVD should not be accessed at all.)
    It's a PC Gamer/Mastertronic DVD v2d5.4.1 The Sneaky Upgrade is one I downloaded recently but I can't remember which site I used. R-click on properties just yields the description T3 Sneakily Upgraded - how can I find out which version this is?

Sneaky Upgrader
    I don't know that version of the game. The SU will install a different executable but I guess it's possible that there's some DLL shenanigans going on.

When you start the game it should say e.g. "Version 1.1.6" on the bottom left of the main menu. (If the version text is missing, check if it has been disabled in the tweaker's Tweaks section.)

I don't know that version of the game. The SU will install a different executable but I guess it's possible that there's some DLL shenanigans going on.

When you start the game it should say e.g. "Version 1.1.6" on the bottom left of the main menu. (If the version text is missing, check if it has been disabled in the tweaker's Tweaks section.)

Yes, it does say 1.1.6, DVD drive appears to be functioning normally now after I ran a registry cleanup. Thanks for all your help Snobel.

I play Thief3 in my 4K monitor (res 3840x2160) without any mouse problems. But I have the DPI at 100% (no DPI scaling).
    I read about this and a lot of people have gaming problems if they change DPI scale setting to anything different than 100%.

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's possible that the threshold where the bug is triggered is influenced by the resolution. With the tweaker setting at the default 144 dpi, does T3 + SU still work for you at 4k if you change the font size to 150%?

Yes, game works at 4K with no problems, except that the mouse arrow is frozen in the middle of the screen. Games plays fine though. when hitting ESC and going back to the menu, mouse arrow works again.
    But since I always keep my DPI at 100% I don't have this bug.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Maybe I should let the fix be forced on by default in the next version and see if anybody has a problem with that. (There's a couple of reasons why it was done the way it is but none of them are too serious.)

Hi all,
    I just installed 1.1.6 over the GOG.com version (setup_thief3_2.0.0.6.exe).
    The brightness setting seems to have no effect in the menu nor in the game - making the game pitch black (I have other people in the room who need the light so I can't turn it off, I'd need the brightness setting to work).
    Any workarounds (other than making it full-screen instead of borderless window)?
    Thank you!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sorry, no - brightness doesn't work in windowed mode, borderless or not. So either switch to fullscreen or use the controls of your graphics card or monitor to adjust.

Ok, thanks, I will have to play it full screen then.

I have a different problem now.
    I am experiencing an issue with the character being stuck mid-air (or, something like that) - when I turn the camera all the way down, I can see the model and the limbs are not moving - it's just floating along the floor and I can't duck/jump/climb anymore. No footsteps heard anymore.

I noticed that when I walk to an edge (a window, a box, etc.) and press jump, the character won't always climb - most of the time it gets stuck like I described above.
    I just got stuck in the air after a simple jump, too.
    I don't recall any such issues with playing Thief 3, so I am guessing it's a bug introduced by one of the mods.
    Which mod/setting do I need to disable to prevent this bug from happening?

Having to load a game every 2-3 mins due to this bug is really annoying.
    Having to load a game 5-10 times to climb a ledge/box once successfully is even more annoying.
    Right now, this bug makes the game completely unenjoyable so it'd be great if a workaround was available.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Csimbi; 15th Apr 2016 at 08:09.

Floating Garrett bug was there right from the beginning. Fall down the ledge or aim a bow to reset the animations and you'll be fine.

Hmmm. Is that right? It's been quite a while since I played it...
    Too bad.

In order to fall off, I must be able to jump up first :-(
    Falling off causes noise (and does not reset unless you fall from high enough), aiming a bow lights up Garrett (and there does not seem to be a way to avoid firing the arrow either).

Thanks though!

PS.
    Needless self-pity type of ranting below.
    So, we are doing a lot of mods and everything but noone really cares about fixing the most annoying bug.
    Last edited by Csimbi; 15th Apr 2016 at 12:06.

Sneaky Upgrader
    It's not that no-one cares, it's just that the cause is unknown and it would be extremely hard / time consuming to fix. I rarely get it myself, even when I try to provoke it, so it's difficult to do anything about it...

There's been some reports that turning vsync on (or off, if you currently have it on) can help. Another thing to try is the value for the frame rate limiter in the tweaker.

Edit: You can definitely avoid wasting an arrow - just hit attack very briefly. If you draw it too far, hit jump or escape to cancel the draw.

I get it all the time - constantly in Rutherford Castle, at the boxes in the armoury.

Let me try turning vsync off (I have the max. frame rate at 60Hz).

Edit
    Ok, turning off vsync did not do a thing.
    But after setting max. frame rate to 90Hz, Garrett does not get stuck anymore.
    Unbelievable.
    I did some further testing:
    - After turning vsync back on (with max. frame rate kept at 90Hz) it's happening all over again (all the time).
    - It does not seem to matter whether vsync is turned on in the game settings or in the Nvidia control panel settings - the result is always the same (that is, getting stuck mid-air).

So, I guess the solution is turning vsync off and leaving the max. frame rate at 90Hz.

It might be beneficial to add these findings to the description of the corresponding settings in SneakyTweaker.

Just became a happy sneaker. Cheers!

Edit 2
    Ok, it does not happen anymore with jumping - but now it's happening with carrying bodies, lol
    The body looks as if it's skating - no footsteps again.
    Even worse that it gets written into the saved game and no even the 'pull an arrow' trick fixes this one.
    Last edited by Csimbi; 15th Apr 2016 at 12:56.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Have you tried throwing down the body? No footsteps is normal when carrying a body - very little head bobbing too. So it does feel somewhat like the floating bug, even if there's nothing wrong.

Yes, of course ;-)
    That's when the gliding starts - it worked fine until I picked up and thrown down the first body.

I have changed the headbobbing rate back to defaults (that is 1.0 in Sneaky and 0.8 in Minimalist), restarted the level and now it seems all right.

Something else.
    This tweak used to work in vanilla Thief 3 (a long time ago, hehe) - in \System\T3PhysicsSound.ini:
    ; AI ragdoll bounciness; Contributed by shadowthief
    ; I’m sure I’m not the only one who think the AI physics are a little… shall we say rubbery?
    ; I figured out how to add some realism to them and make their bodies more real then rubber!
    BounceForceMin=0
    BounceForceMax=2
    BounceVolumeMin=0
    BounceVolumeMax=0
    BouncePitchMin=-1
    BouncePitchMax=1
    Now it does not seem to have an effect.
    Are there INI files elsewhere?

Thanks!

Edit
    One more thing.
    Is there any way to prevent restarting the process (Thief3.exe exits and loads up all over again) every time I load a quicksave (it's reloading all resources pointlessly).
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Csimbi; 16th Apr 2016 at 11:35.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
    I have changed the headbobbing rate back to defaults (that is 1.0 in Sneaky and 0.8 in Minimalist), restarted the level and now it seems all right.
    I'll put a warning in the headbob tweak description, that it may provoke the floating bug.

This tweak used to work in vanilla Thief 3 (a long time ago, hehe) - in \System\T3PhysicsSound.ini:
    I once wanted to make a combined tweak for this, i.e. an easy to use 'Ragdoll Factor' option. But I wasn't able to convince myself that those changes had any effect.

There's only the one T3PhysicsSound.ini file, in the game's System folder. If you experiment some more with those settings and manage to make it work, let me know!

Is there any way to prevent restarting the process (Thief3.exe exits and loads up all over again) every time I load a quicksave (it's reloading all resources pointlessly).
    No, unfortunately not. (If there were I would have made the game run like that by default.) I'm sure they made it reload like that so that memory leaks etc. would not build up and make the game crash on the Xbox (with its 64 MB of RAM.)

Ok, thanks!

I used only a quicksave slot and now the game crashes 100% then I try loading the quicksave.
    Is there any way to salvage it - or maybe debug what's causing the crash and fix it?
    I really don't feel like starting a new game...

Quicksave can be downloaded here:
    http://mab.to/Ii7QLq1n4

Thanks!

you can skip levels via shift+ctrl+alt+end to quickly get back to where you were

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
    I used only a quicksave slot and now the game crashes 100% then I try loading the quicksave.
    You seem to be hitting your fair share of problems. Savegame corruption is rare, but can happen. Quicksaves are allegedly more prone to that, so doing occasional hard saves is important.

I'll take a look at your save but chances are slim. Are you playing with Minimalist enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    you can skip levels via shift+ctrl+alt+end to quickly get back to where you were
    Unfortunately that only works in the other Thiefs. As far as I know there's no way to skip a level in T3.

I suppose I'll need to make a habit out of a hard save at the beginning (or end) at each level.

Yes, all mods in the 'Fat' download are enabled.

Thank you!

Turn off all the mods and try turning them on, one at the time, to see where the problem is. In general, Minimalist doesn't work well with anything else, and it should be disabled for FMs.

Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722272829303132333435363742475257 ... LastLast