TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 49141924293031323334353637383944495459 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to try turning on that overlay thing at some point...

I've reinstalled my laptop as Win10 and had another look at using dgVoodoo to fix the brightness/vsync issues. Initially there was a crash with an error message about needing pixel shader 1.1, but it was fixed by copying in the shader compiler DLL from the dgVoodoo website. I've updated the post from before with links - would be great if other Win10 users could confirm. Note that the issue with the patched game starting up in windowed mode still needs to be fixed.

Strange, with those extensions, none of the game executables work. Once they are removed, the game works, albeit without brightness working.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Damn. Which graphics card do you have?

Well, I don't know if you can even consider it a graphics card but here we are. It's an "Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset". As far as they go, I do not think it could get much worse.

Sneaky Upgrader
    As far as I can google, it's a DX10 part? With dgVoodoo the game needs DX11, so I guess that could explain it.

Zombified
    it is definitely not something you should be running dgVoodoo on.

Most things should not be run on this card. But I am trying to make the best of the assets I currently own.

Anyway, dare I ask if there is another way to restore the brightness function, even with this rather awful chipset?
    Last edited by Jax64; 19th May 2016 at 02:18.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Not that I know of, sorry. Maybe look to your graphics driver settings for an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Not that I know of, sorry. Maybe look to your graphics driver settings for an alternative?
    Thanks. I appreciate your suggestion. Luckily, it won't be long until I acquire a new machine that is up to the task.

EDIT:For anyone in the same position as I am, here is a DX8 to DX9 wrapper that fixed the brightness setting in Thief: Deadly Shadows on Windows 10:http://www.mediafire.com/download/10...r.20140509.zip
    Last edited by Jax64; 19th May 2016 at 23:23. Reason: EDIT

Zombified
    looks like the wrapper home is here.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    And there's a newer one, too.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    Yes, but I provided the link in my previous post because none of the versions on that page worked properly for me.
    Last edited by Jax64; 20th May 2016 at 13:25.

I just tried the same version as Jax64 and it works. The only downside is I lost the intro movies on boot up. But I can live with that because its just the NVidia and eidos stuff. The mouse movement is faster too. But to have the brightness adjustment in widows 10 it could be worth it. Thanks for the fix! Is there a way to slow the mouse movement in game?

Yes, the intro movie thing is strange. But all other movies play and brightness works, so it's worth the price to me.

Mouse movement speed increasing, on the other hand, is something I did not encounter. Anyway, to fix, go in your system folder in your Thief installation. Then, open "Default.ini" with any text editor.

Find
    [Engine.PlayerInput]
    MouseSensitivity=

Simply decrease the current numerical value for this setting.

Sneaky Upgrader
    There's a surprising number of these DX wrappers around - thanks for posting links. This one works for me only for the menu. If I try to load a level it will crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    Mouse movement speed increasing, on the other hand, is something I did not encounter. Anyway, to fix, go in your system folder in your Thief installation. Then, open "Default.ini" with any text editor.
    Or use the Mouse Sensitivity setting in the SneakyTweaker.

Sneaky Upgrader
    This one works for me only for the menu. If I try to load a level it will crash.
    It's working if I switch my laptop to the Intel integrated graphics, so it's probably an Optimus specific bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    I got the Steam Controller working without the overlay by just using the desktop configuration. Everything works this way, but using the analog stick as an analog stick seems to drop out after starting the game up a few times; afterwards Garrett doesn't move at all. I've switched to total kb/m emulation with walk/run on the stick and left grip for creeping.. seems to work well enough.
    Good that it's possible to get the overlay working. The stick thing is weird - there's an entry in Sneaky.log when a controller is detected, you could check if working/non-working has different entries. (Might provide a clue.)

I imagine this has been asked a bunch, but the common T3 bugs like floating Garrett, no head-bob Garrett, and purple blobs remaining when clearing equipment... I'm guessing we are stuck with them? (sans-mods)
    I'm afraid it would be too complex to figure out. Let's hope T3 source code turns up one day... The purple blobs may be possible to fix but probably not worth the effort required.

I'm afraid it would be too complex to figure out. Let's hope T3 source code turns up one day... The purple blobs may be possible to fix but probably not worth the effort required.
    That would probably be the greatest news ever.

I haven't properly tested it, but while walking around my map I encounter the floating Garrett bug more often, when I'm not having any weapon equipped. That might be a coincidence though.

floating garret is exclusively caused by falling (even if its just a small step) and jumping on wonky level geometry. no matter the weapon you are using. its also easily fixed by drawing an arrow.

Or use the Mouse Sensitivity setting in the SneakyTweaker.
    Ha! Yes, that would be most advisable. I had not realized that the SneakyTweaker had that option.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    floating garret is exclusively caused by falling (even if its just a small step) and jumping on wonky level geometry. no matter the weapon you are using. its also easily fixed by drawing an arrow.
    Just make sure it's not a fire arrow. Then you accidentally fire it.

..... I've never done that. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    Falling, at least from 32 UUs and above, actually resets the animations. It's the jumping that makes that bug occur.

That fixed the mouse. I didn't even know that was there either. Thanks for the quick response.

The wrapper by Jax64 didn't only fix the gamma issue on Windows 10, but also 3D vision not working. Even the menus work now in 3D mode.
    Last edited by Child Of Karras; 24th May 2016 at 17:45.

I wonder why MS does not include it in Windows 10... They are supposed to run all windows software, no?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    That didn't only fix the gamma issue on Windows 10, but also 3D vision not working. Even the menus work now in 3D mode.
    Interesting - is that dgVoodoo or the wrapper that Jax64 posted about?

Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 49141924293031323334353637383944495459 ... LastLast