TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 510152025303132333435363738394045505560 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Interesting - is that dgVoodoo or the wrapper that Jax64 posted about?
    Sorry, it was the wrapper that Jax64 posted.

Sneaky Upgrader
    If you have time, try dgVoodoo too - so far it's the most reliable option as long as the graphics HW will work with DX11.

If you have time, try dgVoodoo too - so far it's the most reliable option as long as the graphics HW will work with DX11.
    This is its home, right?
    http://dege.freeweb.hu

It's working, I use it with TDS

This is the vogons thread: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?...931&start=2100

@martek00: (Or anybody else on Win10.) To try it, get this zip and copy MS\D3D8.dll into the System folder in your T3 installation. It should work with the default settings - there'll be a watermark in the lower right. You can run the unpatched game by clicking T3.exe in the System folder and check if the brightness setting is working in fullscreen. (Or run the SU-patched game as usual. If it starts up windowed, try 1024x768.)

Edit: If the game crashes with an error message, additionally get this zip and copy the DLL it contains into the System folder as well. Then it should work.
    This doesn't work for me neither: after starting the game immediately crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    This doesn't work for me neither: after starting the game immediately crashes.
    Dege's D3DCompiler_43.zip includes only the x86 compiler. Could it be that you need the x64 compiler?
    Try this.

No way... I've installed the libraries both in System32 and SYSWOW64, I've restarted dgvodoo, created the library and copied in the game folder, I've installed again the sneaky patch and the exe just freezes while launched (thief 3 with sneaky):

http://imgur.com/O6VGXcd

Looks like Win 10 is a really unfortunate system...

Make sure your graphics card has DirectX11 capabilities. As stated before, dgVoodoo2 will not work without it. If problems persist, or you figure out your card is outdated, the wrapper I posted earlier may be an alternative.
    Last edited by Jax64; 5th Jun 2016 at 23:36.

Sneaky Upgrader
    There's a new beta version out:

Edit: Updated to fix a SneakyTweaker bug.

The two small launcher executables are no longer patched originals but rewritten, simplified replacements. T3.exe is back, now launching the patched game for the benefit of Steam and GarrettLoader users. This also means that original desktop shortcuts will now again launch the patched game. You can run the unpatched game if needed, through a shortcut in the start menu.

Thief3Launcher.exe (formerly known as Ion Launcher.exe), which keeps the desktop hidden while launching a new level, is hopefully now improved enough that it is no longer necessary to disable themes on some versions of Windows. So the themes-disabling 'SDB' file is no longer installed, making tolsen64's upcoming TFMM loader alternative work as intended. As a bonus it seems to cut about 2 seconds off loading times...

The installer has had a much-needed overhaul, using more installer pages instead of cramming everything into 'additional tasks'. Uninstalling a previous version has been moved to after clicking the Install button, so it's now possible to cancel at any point before and keep the current version.

Behind the scenes everything has been moved to Visual Studio 2015 - which unfortunately means everything is now broken on Wine. Mac/Linux users should stick to the previous beta.

If you're on Windows Vista, 7 or 10, please test the desktop cover: Make sure the 'aero' theme is active (semitransparent window borders, or on Win10 a semitransparent start menu). Cover the desktop with something bright like a maximized Notepad window. Then start a new game in fullscreen - from clicking Start until the loading screen with the progress bar appears you should not see the desktop. (A short flash may be unavoidable but that's no different than before, when themes were disabled.)
    Last edited by snobel; 17th Jun 2016 at 00:43.

Same as before: the game crashes in Win 10 before starting, both with 'Thief 3 with Sneaky Upgrade' and 'Play Thief - Deadly Shadows".

Is anyone else reporting crashes? Or just with your computer?

the game now starts, since I've removed vodoo, but it acts very strange... may be the fact that win 10 is on VM Ware?

the video: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...84334732715269

the game now starts, since I've removed vodoo, but it acts very strange... may be the fact that win 10 is on VM Ware?

the video: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...84334732715269
    Does VM support DX11?

Sneaky Upgrader
    A bit of googling suggests that VMware 12 brought DX10 support so lack of DX11 is probably why dgVoodoo will fail.

The game's menus behave weirdly in VMs, for whatever reason. The unpatched game is the same.

The newest dgVoodoo version actually introduced DX10 support, which can be turned on in the setup program. I haven't tested how well it works though.

A bit of googling suggests that VMware 12 brought DX10 support so lack of DX11 is probably why dgVoodoo will fail.

The game's menus behave weirdly in VMs, for whatever reason. The unpatched game is the same.
    Not at all, the last time I've tested the sneaky upgrade some month ago it worked nice with the Win 10 from scratch installation, it just didn't have the brightness control. If I see it working properly on the virtual machine I'll switch to Windows 10, otherwise it's useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafferwocky View Post
    The newest dgVoodoo version actually introduced DX10 support, which can be turned on in the setup program. I haven't tested how well it works though.
    Tried before making the video, no changes at all. There should be a great span of betatesting before a developer releases a newest version, releasing buggy patches just make lose time.
    Last edited by Linda; 8th Jun 2016 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    Make sure your graphics card has DirectX11 capabilities. As stated before, dgVoodoo2 will not work without it.
    DX11 feature level 10.0

So the only requirement is Windows 7 and a DX10-class GPU with recent drivers.

Hey Snobel, some inconsistencies in the last beta (tweaker)?

Can you add the "Loading Screen Tips" font dimension to "HUD Scaling" too?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Hey Snobel, some inconsistencies in the last beta (tweaker)?
    Thanks - a stupid oversight. I've updated the beta. Installing the new standard edition should fix it. (I've added beta links to the first post, btw.)

Can you add the "Loading Screen Tips" font dimension to "HUD Scaling" too?
    I'll have a look. I vaguely remember some complication with that but it's been a while... It'll be a separate setting if it's possible.

Thanks!

DX11 feature level 10.0

So the only requirement is Windows 7 and a DX10-class GPU with recent drivers.
    how smart... we were talking about running Thief on Windows 10.

I can hardly understand why game patch requires OS restart...

Sneaky Upgrader
    The patch depends on the Visual C++ 2015 runtime. And the recommended way to ensure that the user has that installed is to bundle the redistributable and run it during installation. It's the C++ runtime redistributable that sometimes requires a restart, not the patch itself.

In previous SU versions I chose the lazy approach of simply installing the two required DLLs into the game's System folder. That's why a restart was never required before. But with VS2015 things have become more complex, so that will not work anymore. (And it was never a very good solution anyway.)

how smart... we were talking about running Thief on Windows 10.
    And you can use a DX10 VGA on Windows 10
    A DX11 VGA is not strictly needed, only DX11 runtime.

I can perfectly run dgVoodoo 2 on an old laptop with GeForce 9600M and Windows 10.

Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 510152025303132333435363738394045505560 ... LastLast