TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    The patch depends on the Visual C++ 2015 runtime. And the recommended way to ensure that the user has that installed is to bundle the redistributable and run it during installation. It's the C++ runtime redistributable that sometimes requires a restart, not the patch itself.

In previous SU versions I chose the lazy approach of simply installing the two required DLLs into the game's System folder. That's why a restart was never required before. But with VS2015 things have become more complex, so that will not work anymore. (And it was never a very good solution anyway.)
    Thx for explanation.

I think it would be wise to explain some things in installer, since not everyone dig on forums and guides. For example: i know what is minimalism project and jonny p texture mod, but i never heard about briefing videos mod O_o. So i installed it blindly...

- UPD 1

Soo, i checked -SneakyTweaker- and understood what this briefing mod is. I checked how it works, and it works like this on my laptop with 1366x768:

https://pp.vk.me/c636329/v636329184/...RdB_PcJEuw.jpg

What's the problem? What i'm missing?

-- UPD 2

I don't see an option to disable intro videos in -SneakyTweaker-, i'm blind or there are no such option? I'm inpatient man, wanna be in menu right after i press shortcut

--- UPD 3

I don't see logic, why, by default, menu is not cropped and works for 4:3 and videos are cropped for 16:9. It is somehow inconsistent.

---- UPD 4

https://pp.vk.me/c636329/v636329184/...z4MeXSjvV4.jpg

Honestly i don't remember what is written there in original, but seriously, i'm playing Thief, not the Minimalist Project. MP is just a mod, extension.
    Last edited by vorob; 30th Jun 2016 at 16:50.

Yeah i don't know what to point finger at specifically but information availability is very important in such projects such as popular mods and unofficial patches. For someone who installs Thief for the first time (or after a long pause) and wants to use a patch... it can be difficult to understand all the options. It would be VERY helpful if every option everywhere would be possible to hover mouse on for more info.
    It is very easy for mod/patch makers to forget that most users are those who probably never even visited the forums and know really very little about anything. People like me are power users so even if I frequently visit the forums I still like to know what every tiniest option in the setting does and configure all to my taste. Last time I installed T3 I remember there was quite a bit of information available in the settings but not quite enough in certain parts. For example there were certain graphics options (or just options on how graphics are processed) that were too technical for me to understand.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    I think it would be wise to explain some things in installer, since not everyone dig on forums and guides. For example: i know what is minimalism project and jonny p texture mod, but i never heard about briefing videos mod O_o.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristijonas View Post
    Yeah i don't know what to point finger at specifically but information availability is very important in such projects such as popular mods and unofficial patches. For someone who installs Thief for the first time (or after a long pause) and wants to use a patch... it can be difficult to understand all the options. It would be VERY helpful if every option everywhere would be possible to hover mouse on for more info.
    All true - but time is limited, and for the most part better spent on something else. If you have more specific feedback on some of the options, bring it up here and I'll see if I can improve things. As for the mods, each of them has an introduction by its author on the top level page.

Soo, i checked -SneakyTweaker- and understood what this briefing mod is. I checked how it works, and it works like this on my laptop with 1366x768:
    What graphics card do you have?

I don't see an option to disable intro videos in -SneakyTweaker-, i'm blind or there are no such option? I'm inpatient man, wanna be in menu right after i press shortcut
    Should be at the top of the Tweaks page.

I don't see logic, why, by default, menu is not cropped and works for 4:3 and videos are cropped for 16:9. It is somehow inconsistent.
    The menu is in 4:3 format, the cutscenes are all letterboxed (except for a short sequence). So cropping the cutscenes will only crop away the horizontal black bars.

It's probably a personal preference: Some people prefer the content cropped and/or stretched to fill the screen. Some (like me, hence the defaults ) prefer the content shown the way it was intended.

Honestly i don't remember what is written there in original, but seriously, i'm playing Thief, not the Minimalist Project. MP is just a mod, extension.
    Feedback for the T3G, briefings and MP mods should ideally be posted in the threads linked to from the first post, since their authors are still around.

What graphics card do you have?
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.24060.0.html

Should be at the top of the Tweaks page.
    Yep, sorry, i missed that.

If you have more specific feedback
    Just a short explanation for several big mods:
    - minimalist project
    - thief gold
    - briefing videos
    - jonny p textures

As for the mods, each of them has an introduction by its author on the top level page.
    Like i said before, its not a good idea to send people reading sheets of info on forum. Is ok to send for "more info", but basics should be in installer. That's just my thought.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Would you mind PMing me a log produced on the 'Dump' log level setting? Change the setting on the tweaker's Advanced page, then start the game as far as the briefing video. Afterwards find the 'current' Sneaky.log file through the start menu.

Just a short explanation for several big mods [...] Like i said before, its not a good idea to send people reading sheets of info on forum. Is ok to send for "more info", but basics should be in installer. That's just my thought.
    I was referring to the top level pages in the tweaker, that you can access from the tree view on the left. I wouldn't mind adding descriptions as tooltips to the mod components in the installer but unfortunately Inno Setup doesn't provide a convenient way to do that. (It's possible, but would require a lot of time.)

Sneaky Upgrader
    The beta has been updated - there's now a tweak for the size of the text on loading screens. Fonts in T3 are limited to a fixed number of sizes, so the tweak provides 5 sizes from Normal to Smallest. The Minimalist Project makes only two font sizes available, so there's a separate setting on the MP tweak overrides page.

A couple of small original issues were fixed in the process: First, the original centered text would revert to left-justified after a couple of lines. The easy 'fix' here was to make it left-justified to begin with... Second, the margins were a fixed number of pixels. They are now a fraction of the current display width. Also, the margins and vertical position of the text are adjusted with the size to make it look better.

Here are examples of the original look, the somewhat-fixed version and the smallest size:

An additional bit of formatting makes it look much nicer:

The last screen is what Thief 3 Gold loading screens now look like by default. (Since it's a purely cosmetic change, T3G is still on version 1.2.)

Would you mind PMing me a log produced on the 'Dump' log level setting? Change the setting on the tweaker's Advanced page, then start the game as far as the briefing video. Afterwards find the 'current' Sneaky.log file through the start menu.
    I dunno what i've changed, but now it work like it should do...

First, the original centered text would revert to left-justified after a couple of lines.
    Yep, that looks a way better!

Is there any kind of level skip code? I reinstalled T3 with the Sneaky Upgrade but I have no desire to play the whole game I just wanna play Shalebridge Cradle.

I downloaded some savegames but they don't appear to work with the Sneaky Upgrade

I reckon you've run into the same issue I have. The trick is to add a SaveGame.txt with the string T3G-1.1 in each of the game's savegame directories, otherwise the Sneaky Upgrade will deem them incompatible. They might, but if you start at the beginning of a level it shouldn't be a problem.

These saves should work with the aforementioned fix at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by mensch View Post
    I reckon you've run into the same issue I have. The trick is to add a SaveGame.txt with the string T3G-1.1 in each of the game's savegame directories, otherwise the Sneaky Upgrade will deem them incompatible. They might, but if you start at the beginning of a level it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried that earlier and it starts to load the saves then T3 crashes. I will try some other saves tho thanks.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by mensch View Post
    The trick is to add a SaveGame.txt with the string T3G-1.1 in each of the game's savegame directories, otherwise the Sneaky Upgrade will deem them incompatible. They might, but if you start at the beginning of a level it shouldn't be a problem.
    That's correct, except it's T3G-1.2 for the current version. The only way this workaround should be used is to load a City save near the glyph that activates a proper mission. After you finish the mission, don't play on - weirdness will probably ensue at some point.

The SaveGame.txt work-around is enough for starting most T3G missions. Unfortunately the OldQuarter1 map, from where you start the Cradle, has been modified enough that original saves won't load anymore. So another workaround is needed: Open the T3G maps folder (the default path is "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Thief 3 Gold\Content\T3\Maps", or find it through the start menu) and rename the two OldQuarter1.* files. Then the game will find the original map instead, and the save will load. When you enter the Cradle mission the T3G map will be loaded.

Most of the links are dead but the webarchive.org link that clearing posted is still valid. The save for the Cradle is here

That's correct, except it's T3G-1.2 for the current version. The only way this workaround should be used is to load a City save near the glyph that activates a proper mission. After you finish the mission, don't play on - weirdness will probably ensue at some point.

The SaveGame.txt work-around is enough for starting most T3G missions. Unfortunately the OldQuarter1 map, from where you start the Cradle, has been modified enough that original saves won't load anymore. So another workaround is needed: Open the T3G maps folder (the default path is "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Thief 3 Gold\Content\T3\Maps", or find it through the start menu) and rename the two OldQuarter1.* files. Then the game will find the original map instead, and the save will load. When you enter the Cradle mission the T3G map will be loaded.

Most of the links are dead but the webarchive.org link that clearing posted is still valid. The save for the Cradle is here
    Thanks so much! The rename the maps portion is what I was missing. I already had this savegame and the txt file.

I actually started playing through the game again and was up to the Pagan Sanctuary. First time i have touched T3 since 2004 when I preordered. My girlfriend made fun of me for canceling my plans to play Thief. I bought a new soundcard with full EAX support just for T3.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Then I'm almost sorry I helped you out. Playing the game from the beginning is of course the best way to get to the Cradle. Better remember to rename those map files back afterwards, just in case you get the urge to pick up where you left in the play-through...

Can't say it's a good idea. On the other hand, we discussed loading screen videos with Snobel some time ago. Short, looped Dishonored-like title screens would be cool. Still, that's not a top priority anytime soon.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    What about making the load screens last long enough to be able to actually read the flavor texts on modern PCs? I know it seems crazy, to actually wish for longer load times, but hey this was Ion Storm's design choice...
    Can't bring myself to artificially increase loading times but I'll make it so that holding down Ctrl will pause loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    looped Dishonored-like title screens would be cool. Still, that's not a top priority anytime soon.
    Would probably only be relevant if someone was working on a big complex FM that took a long time to load...

Interestingly, for every texture (except loading screens, it seems) used in a map, the game goes looking for a .bik file with the same name. Maybe an animated texture feature that was never completed?

Would probably only be relevant if someone was working on a big complex FM that took a long time to load...

Interestingly, for every texture (except loading screens, it seems) used in a map, the game goes looking for a .bik file with the same name. Maybe an animated texture feature that was never completed?
    Nah, just put a few 4096 textures in your scene and that should do the trick Interesting thing about the .bik file lookup though. Bioshock uses bik movies in-game, mostly for plasmid tutorials, but I have no idea how would that work as a texture or material.

This mod is fantastic and I really appreciate the effort. However I have a problem running it.

I own my copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows via steam, however after installing the sneaky upgrade FAT edition I can only run it via the shortcut and not through steam directly. Is there a way to make the sneaky upgrade run through steam?

Sneaky Upgrader
    You have 1.1.6 installed? Launching through Steam has been fixed in the latest beta.

First off, I want to say thank you to snobel, the wonderful modders, and people that helped with these projects. You guys have done all this work because you love the franchise, and want people to have great experiences with something you love. That's awesome! I've played all the Thief games within the past couple of years for the first time, and enjoyed all of them even more thanks to fans on this forum.

I wanted to ask a bit about the mult-core bug. Does it just affect the intro movies during the beginning of the game? I ask because my processor a bit old and fairly weak when limited to just one core. I've noticed that alt+tabbing once a level is loaded, and then changing the affinity back to all cores, gives me much better framerate in particular parts of levels. I'm assuming it's the sneaky.dll that is forcing the 1 core affinity on each map load. Is there anyway I can get around the SU changing it to one core, other than alt+tabbing each map load?

Also, I tried installing the latest beta but I kept gettting a "movefile failed code 5" error near the end of the setup. The latest Fat version installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled just fine. Google says the error is due to administrator rights, so is this due to something on my machine? And I'm not looking to bother anyone with troubleshooting; I just wanted to find out where the error is coming from (my machine or the beta).

Finally, I noticed that the link to Myagi's patcher has expired.
    Last edited by stuck; 31st Jul 2016 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I wanted to ask a bit about the mult-core bug. Does it just affect the intro movies during the beginning of the game? I ask because my processor a bit old and fairly weak when limited to just one core. I've noticed that alt+tabbing once a level is loaded, and then changing the affinity back to all cores, gives me much better framerate in particular parts of levels. I'm assuming it's the sneaky.dll that is forcing the 1 core affinity on each map load. Is there anyway I can get around the SU changing it to one core, other than alt+tabbing each map load?
    I'd create two scripts using this guide: one to limit to 1 core and another to enable all cores. Then, I'd set up autohotkey to run these scripts on hotkeys.
    Just a thought.
    Never had any issues on my i7 though.

Having a newly acquired eight core processor, I can second the fact that the game does indeed run more efficiently using more than one core. I have the intro movies disabled for various reasons, does this mean that having more cores allocated to Deadly Shadows would only yield better performance and no further issues?

More importantly, is there a value we can edit, or something else in the Upgrade that will allow the game to once again use all the cores available on a processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi View Post
    I'd create two scripts using this guide: one to limit to 1 core and another to enable all cores. Then, I'd set up autohotkey to run these scripts on hotkeys.
    Just a thought.
    Never had any issues on my i7 though.
    Interesting, this would be infinitely better than opening task manager every minute. At least, until we have a long-term solution.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Funny you should ask - I've just added a multicore option for other reasons. There's a new beta in the first post. The setting is on the Advanced page of the tweaker.

Also, I tried installing the latest beta but I kept gettting a "movefile failed code 5" error near the end of the setup. The latest Fat version installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled just fine. Google says the error is due to administrator rights, so is this due to something on my machine? And I'm not looking to bother anyone with troubleshooting; I just wanted to find out where the error is coming from (my machine or the beta).
    Hmm, strange. I haven't encountered that but the installer changed quite a bit between 1.1.6 and the recent betas. What's the path to your game installation and did you use the "customize the paths..." option in the installer? If the new beta fails in the same way, try the standard version beta on top of the fat 1.1.6. Please report back how it goes...

Finally, I noticed that the link to Myagi's patcher has expired.
    Thanks, I'll get it uploaded somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    I have the intro movies disabled for various reasons, does this mean that having more cores allocated to Deadly Shadows would only yield better performance and no further issues?
    It varies - I don't have any trouble running on all cores, not even the trailer loop. But I don't get better performance either, probably because it's still limited by the GPU.

Hmm, strange. I haven't encountered that but the installer changed quite a bit between 1.1.6 and the recent betas. What's the path to your game installation and did you use the "customize the paths..." option in the installer? If the new beta fails in the same way, try the standard version beta on top of the fat 1.1.6. Please report back how it goes...
    http://imgur.com/bIi0xu5

Here's a pic of the error with the game directory. I did not tick the boxes for customizing the save paths, but the installation path is a custom one (which the program had no trouble finding). It's on my second harddrive that I use mainly for large stuff like Steam. It doesn't run Windows. Tried the beta again, and then reinstalled 1.1.6 (which installed and worked just fine) and then tried the standard beta on top of that, and they both spit out the same error message: about renaming the sneakytweaker.exe

I also tried clicking on "ignore", but the sneaky tweaker was nowhere to be found after the installation completed, which makes sense.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I'll have a look at this tonight.

Btw. if you haven't already, try rebooting then immediately disable any antivirus software. Then try reinstalling.

There may be an answer to this somewhere in the thread, but since I haven't got time right now to go through all the pages I thought I'd briefly ask: have there been any cases of the Texture Pack being activated in the setup but not kicking in in the game? As far as I know, that's the one I've got installed, and the textures show up in the setup options, but in the game everything looks, well, ugly, blurry, blotchy and like the original release, not like I remember John P's textures.

I'll have to double-check these things when I get home, but I thought I'd ask, in case this is something that's known to happen under certain conditions.

Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156 ... LastLast