TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Btw. if you haven't already, try rebooting then immediately disable any antivirus software. Then try reinstalling.
    In addition to the virus checker, also shut down Steam while installing.

I can't see any reason that installation should fail on the tweaker and not on the other exe files - the entries in the installer source code look the same. I also tried installing to the same path as you just in case, but no issues there. So if it's not Steam or AV interfering, then I'm out of ideas... As a last resort, after installation try downloading and copying in the tweaker manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    have there been any cases of the Texture Pack being activated in the setup but not kicking in in the game?
    Not that I remember. But it's easy to check if it's active: In Sneaky.log there will be entries like these:
    Code:
    [Inf] File search path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures"
    [Inf] File search path: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Menu & Loading Screens"
    ...and lots of entries like these:
    Code:
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\garrett_l_n.dds" (Texture)
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\garrett_face_d.dds" (Texture)
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\metaopenbookpage.dds" (Texture)
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\garrett_face_n.dds" (Texture)
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\metaselectionfrob_m004.dds" (Texture)
    [Inf] IBT override: "C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods\Collective Texture Pack\Textures\Content\T3\PCTextures\DynamicallyLoaded\garbowleather_d.dds" (Texture)

Cool, thanks. I'll check once I'm home and report.

Okay, I've just checked, and it's entirely user stupidity: I activated all the individual options in the submenus, but I didn't activate the options in the overview. Feeling rather sheepish now, not least because I've completed six missions like this (I've just finished the Kurshok one). D'oh!

Sneaky Upgrader
    If it's any comfort you're not the first to overlook those checkboxes. I'll see if I can find a way to point them out more.

So if it's not Steam or AV interfering...
    Turns out it was my anti-virus interfering. I was using Bitdefender, and had initially closed it out when I first encountered the error, but apparently the program still runs in the background, even if you close out the application. Today I found out that I couldn't even kill the process from the task manager. It was deleting what looked to be files written to the registry, during the setup. Once I finally found the right option to disable it, the Beta installed fine. Upon re-enabling it, the anti-virus would then pick up the sneaktweaker.exe, and quarantine it. I also found out there there wasn't anyway to whitelist folders and such with the free version of Bitdefender, so I've since dumped it due to the restrictiveness of it.

Anyways, thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it! And hopefully I didn't cause you too much trouble looking in to this.

... man, how could I play this game with the textures deactivated? It makes such a huge difference! And the thing is, I'd played this with and without textures before. I should've really looked into this earlier.

Two things that I expect people have noted before and that have popped up now that all the options are properly activated:
    - When I look at my map (at least in the city sections), I get a white rectangle in the centre of the screen, I'd assume it's about 300x150 pixels. (My resolution is 2560x1440.)
    - Whenever I look at a readable, when I press Esc my view is either all the way up or all the way down but definitely not centred or where I was looking before.

Other than those two very minor issues I love the way the game looks now, and that makes up for a lot of the clunkiness that's baked into Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Sneaky Upgrader
    For the last issue see this post. The first issue is IIRC also caused by that tweak, but intermittent - switching to an unpaused mode may fix it, otherwise try the Normal setting.

Thanks, I'll try that out ASAP.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Upon re-enabling it, the anti-virus would then pick up the sneaktweaker.exe, and quarantine it. I also found out there there wasn't anyway to whitelist folders and such with the free version of Bitdefender, so I've since dumped it due to the restrictiveness of it.
    I ran the tweaker through VirusTotal this morning. It got 8 positives out of 53. But I ran it again tonight on the same file, and then it got 11/53, which is a bit worrying.

I'm quite sure they're false positives - I did a new build and made the build script checksum the file immediately afterwards and it was identical to the previous version. But that's not a guarantee, I guess it's possible that the libraries that get linked into it could be infected. I'll investigate more this weekend.

Edit: I installed one of the AVs that flagged the tweaker and let it do a full scan. It found nothing beside a few tweaker exes. Then I updated and rebuilt the Qt framework and the tweaker itself and had it tested again - same result as yesterday morning. I've reported the false positive to BitDefender for now.

Edit 2: The 1.1.7 tweaker is down to 1/54.
    Last edited by snobel; 7th Aug 2016 at 15:26.

Just wanted to say that both of my minor problems were resolved by changing the mode for readables. Thanks!

Sneaky Upgrader
    1.1.7 is finally out. Edit: Bugfix release 1.1.7.1 is out, see the list of changes below.

Because the installer got an overhaul I thought it was a good time to take mensch's suggestion and change the naming: The Fat Edition is now the Full Edition and the former Standard Edition is the Update Edition - for use when appropriate. The following describes the changes relative to 1.1.6, so it's basically a rehash of the various beta posts:

The highlight of 1.1.7 is the inclusion of the "GarrAT" Garrett Animation Tweaks mod by ascottk - this has been on the to-do list for a long time. In the Sneaky Upgrade incarnation of the mod it'll work not only with the original game but also with T3 Gold and (in principle) all FMs. Assuming most players will want this it's enabled by default after installation.

The two small launcher executables are no longer patched originals but rewritten, simplified replacements - thanks to Abysmal and tolsen64 for testing. T3.exe will now launch the patched game for the benefit of Steam, GOG Galaxy and GarrettLoader users. This also means that the original desktop shortcut will now again launch the patched game. You can still run the unpatched game if needed, through a shortcut in the start menu.
    Thief3Launcher.exe (the replacement Ion Launcher.exe), which keeps the desktop hidden while launching a new level, hopefully removes the need to disable themes on some versions of Windows. As a bonus it will cut a couple of seconds off loading times...

The installer has had a much-needed overhaul, using more installer pages instead of cramming everything into 'additional tasks'. Uninstalling a previous version has been moved to after clicking the Install button, so it's now possible to cancel at any point before and keep the current version.

A few new settings are available in the tweak tool:

• In a multi-monitor setup, run the game on a display which is not the primary
    • Allow the game to run on multiple cores. When this works it will increase performance, at least in some cases
    • New tweak to scale down the size of the tip/flavour text on loading screens

The display selection and multicore features are somewhat experimental - feedback is welcome!

The loading screen size tweak provides 5 sizes from Normal to Smallest. Thief 3 Gold now uses a smaller size with improved formatting. Since it's a purely cosmetic change, T3G is still on version 1.2 and existing savegames will work:

Level loading is now fast enough that there's often not enough time to actually read the loading screen text - so loading can now be paused by holding down the Ctrl key.

A couple of small original issues with the loading screen text were fixed in the process. Most importantly the centered text, which would revert to left-justified after a couple of lines, is now left-justified to begin with.

The fix for the frozen mouse cursor when using large fonts is now on by default. The tweaker will now detect if it's already running, instead of launching a second instance. Various small fixes and improvements to descriptive text.

Behind the scenes everything has been moved to Visual Studio 2015 - which unfortunately means everything is now broken on Wine. Mac/Linux users should stick to the beta (1.1.6.500).

Changes in 1.1.7.1:

• Fix for broken animations in the bundled GarrAT mod. At least the third person blackjacking and stabbing animations were broken, but possibly others
    • Fix for the replacement T3.exe quitting immediately after launching the game, which would break Steam time-keeping yet again
    • Fix for the replacement T3.exe timing out when running the unpatched game in fullscreen and loading a level. (The menu would be reloaded in this case)
    • The tweaker now shows the SU version number in the title bar so you'll know if you're running the right one.
    • The tweaker page can now be changed using the up/down arrow keys
    Last edited by snobel; 14th Aug 2016 at 14:00.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Hey Snobel, some inconsistencies in the last beta (tweaker)?

There is a similar problem in new 1.1.7!

*Overview items order is NOT the left column one (it would help)
    *Minimalistic Project NOT greyed out if relative button is unchecked.

About the "Mouse Improvements" option maybe it's a good thing to rename it in "Input and Viewport Scale Improvements"

About framerate limit: why not set the maximum to 144? (for High End Monitors with 144 Hz support).
    Last edited by lowenz; 8th Aug 2016 at 18:41.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Arrgh! I'll have a look at it tonight.

About the "Mouse Improvements" option maybe it's a good thing to rename it in "Input and Viewport Scale Improvements"
    Yes, and it should probably be split up too. In the first SU versions you had to edit SneakyOptions.ini by hand, so I combined some things to make it easier. With the tweaker you might as well just check two boxes instead.

About framerate limit: why not set the maximum to 144? (for High End Monitors with 144 Hz support).
    The limit is only there in the first place because the game starts behaving erratically above ~100 Hz. (Broken lockpicking etc.)

The limit is only there in the first place because the game starts behaving erratically above ~100 Hz. (Broken lockpicking etc.)
    OK, so 144 is too much (without re-coding/fixing the broken elements).

2 things:
    *Physics improvements details?
    *With dgVoodoo2 (the D3D1-8 wrapper, lastest version here: http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP25_1.zip ) if I choose in SU the classic "fullscreen" the game starts.....in window (and with "borderless" in fullscreen!) . It's not really a problem 'cause ALT+ENTER sets it to fullscreen (and with dgVoodoo VSync is perfectly working), but.....is it avoidable?

dgVoodoo2 by default let the window management to the game (and unpatched T3main.exe doesn't have this behaviour, but maybe it's due to some fixes of yours for people using Win8/10 without dgVoodoo2).

What is the framerate limited to? 60 fps?

Also, just wanted to say that I've come to love the HUD-less lockpicking and at this point wish they'd implement something like it in The Dark Mod and any future Thief games.

It isn't really a problem, but 120/144 would be awesome for High End monitors owners (not me )

The "new" animations are nice but bring some problems to 1st person camera animations.....try to reload/use the bow or switch between 1st/3rd person camera and see how suddenly you can't use the blackjack.

Hi guys. I have an issue here: I have selected all the mods during the installation, but I cannot load the game with them as SneakyTweaker says they're not installed. The game itself works fine with Sneaky Upgrade, it shows the version 1.1.7, and I can change the resolution to 1440:900 (my native one), but, as I said, the game says the mods are not installed, although the mod files are actually located in my "ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade" folder and the installation of the upgrade itself was flawless.

I use licensed disc version of the game and Windows7 x64. What do I do wrong?

upd: trying to get to the bottom of it, I got the question Should SneakyOptions.ini be located in \Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options ?
    Will someone, please, look at the [Mods] section of it and tell me is it should be like that?
    [Mods]
    ExcludeForFMs=false
    ModInfoInVersionText=false
    SaveGameVersion=
    Version=
    ShortName=
    UberModPaths=Garrett Animation Tweaks
    ModPaths=Briefing Videos;Thief 3 Gold
    InstallPath=C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods
    Last edited by Lex; 9th Aug 2016 at 13:48.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looks like you somehow ended up using an old tweaker with 1.1.7? Here's what it should look like, notice the added note above the mod list:

Physics improvements details?
    Equivalent to sticking this in User.ini:

Code:
    [PointPhysics]
    Gravity=-45
    Air=-0.5
    ImpulsePointVelocity_Max=15
    ImpulseAngularVelocity_Max=35
    CollisionEnergyLoss_Min=0.5
    CollisionEnergyLoss_Max=0.7
    This tweak was added in order to support the Minimalist Project, so that's where the values come from. Originally [Physics]/WorldGravityZ was also included - now a separate tweak.

With dgVoodoo2 (the D3D1-8 wrapper, lastest version here: http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP25_1.zip ) if I choose in SU the classic "fullscreen" the game starts.....in window (and with "borderless" in fullscreen!) . It's not really a problem 'cause ALT+ENTER sets it to fullscreen (and with dgVoodoo VSync is perfectly working), but.....is it avoidable?
    dgVoodoo2 by default let the window management to the game (and unpatched T3main.exe doesn't have this behaviour, but maybe it's due to some fixes of yours for people using Win8/10 without dgVoodoo2).
    First time I tried dgVoodoo I saw the same - the patched game would open in a window (except at 800x600 IIRC) and the original game would not. But when I looked into it recently they both behaved the same, and I got nowhere. I'll look into it again when I have time but I'll probably have to contact the author of dgVoodoo to get it working.

It isn't really a problem, but 120/144 would be awesome for High End monitors owners (not me )
    Unfortunately it's very unlikely that I can fix the root cause of the high-framerate weirdness. All I can do is keep it from happening by imposing those limits...

The "new" animations are nice but bring some problems to 1st person camera animations.....try to reload/use the bow or switch between 1st/3rd person camera and see how suddenly you can't use the blackjack.
    Damn, you're right. I'll look into that but it'll have to wait until the weekend. But for me it's only broken in 3rd person - have you found any breakage if you stay in 1st person?

What is the framerate limited to? 60 fps?
    The default value is 90 for the framerate limiter (for when you have vsync off). There's a limit on display refresh rate too, which is 85 by default.

Also, just wanted to say that I've come to love the HUD-less lockpicking and at this point wish they'd implement something like it in The Dark Mod and any future Thief games.
    Yes, the lockpicking HUD is completely unnecessary. Having it switched off is good for immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Hi guys. I have an issue here: I have selected all the mods during the installation, but I cannot load the game with them as SneakyTweaker says they're not installed.
    Weird - did you install using the defaults? If not, did you use the option to change the paths? Did you have an older SU installed already?

trying to get to the bottom of it, I got the question Should SneakyOptions.ini be located in \Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options ?
    The Options folder is in the same path as the SaveGames folder - try making a new save to make sure saves end up in the same path. If they do, then the options file is OK. If not, look in Sneaky.log to see which path the game is expecting.

Will someone, please, look at the [Mods] section of it and tell me is it should be like that?
    Code:
    [Mods]
    ExcludeForFMs=false
    ModInfoInVersionText=false
    SaveGameVersion=
    Version=
    ShortName=
    UberModPaths=Garrett Animation Tweaks
    ModPaths=Briefing Videos;Thief 3 Gold
    InstallPath=C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade\Installed Mods
    That's all correct, assuming you installed using the defaults.

If you don't get it fixed from looking in the current log, try switching the log level to "Dump" on the tweaker's Advanced page (assuming that part works...), then run the game once (the menu will do) and PM me the contents of Sneaky.log. (Please use code tags - it's going to be quite a bit of text. Alternatively I can PM you an upload link for easy upload to my cloud service?)

Well, it's strange indeed!

Sneaky Upgrader
    There's no strangeness there - the left pane shows that all mods are installed/available, the right pane shows that all mods are active except GarrAT and MP. (Note that the checkboxes are not greyed out.) Is that not what you have installed and/or get in-game?

Btw. I'm looking into the GarrAT 3rd person breakage, but it's going to take some time because I basically have to start over to find out what I've missed. And I've found a couple of issues with the replacement lauchers...

Ah! So they're greyed ONLY if "not installed", I thought if "not activated"

'cause you can tweak the parameters of NOT activated mods.....is it intended?

We don't have any lockpicking HUD in The Dark Mod.

Sneaky Upgrader
    'cause you can tweak the parameters of NOT activated mods.....is it intended?
    More like easier that way, and it seemed to do no harm to have those pages accessible. But a few people have overlooked the checkboxes on the opening page so maybe I should pop up a reminder the first time a page for an inactive mod is selected.

Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257 ... LastLast