TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    First time I tried dgVoodoo I saw the same - the patched game would open in a window (except at 800x600 IIRC) and the original game would not. But when I looked into it recently they both behaved the same, and I got nowhere. I'll look into it again when I have time but I'll probably have to contact the author of dgVoodoo to get it working.
    Any news?

Still the same with the lastest WIP: http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP27.zip

Some old code for ALT-tabbing maybe?

Sneaky Upgrader
    That WIP version works for me - but only if I disable the refresh rate limit in SneakyTweaker. That was not the case last time I tested this...

So you can try that for now and see if it makes it work for you too. I'll investigate some more...

Edit: Here's a Beta instead - an Update, so keep the mods. There's still an issue with loading screens being weirdly coloured until a certain point - may be fixable... There are a couple more issues if you switch to a non-primary display, so don't do that.

Edit 2: The loading screen colour thing is weird - it looks like the blue colour data is zeroed:

But on my laptop it's only like that when running fullscreen on the Nvidia GPU - using Intel graphics or windowed it's OK. It also looks correct in Fraps screenshots so the above example had the blue colour removed in Gimp...

I'd be interested to know if desktop Nvidia users see the same, otherwise it's probably an Optimus specific issue.

Edit 3: Smells like an Nvidia driver bug. But I think I've found a workaround - new beta at the link above. The fix can be disabled by adding the line "DisableGammaFix=true" to the [Testing] section of SneakyOptions.ini, in case someone wants to see if they're affected by this issue.
    Last edited by snobel; 11th Sep 2016 at 15:00.

That WIP version works for me - but only if I disable the refresh rate limit in SneakyTweaker. That was not the case last time I tested this...
    You got it man! With "0" there's a perfect fullscreen start

Maybe it's a problem with 60 vs 59.xx Hz? In some Win10 + VGA drivers setups, games see 59.xx Hz and not a perfect 60.
    So forcing the desktop refresh rate is the solution.....

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yep, that was it. The game would insist on 60 Hz, but the dgVoodoo incarnation of d3d8.dll enumerates those modes only as 59 Hz.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    You got it man! With "0" there's a perfect fullscreen start
    So you were not affected by the loading screen (missing) blues?

They are related to the NEW beta? Not tested yet!

Sneaky Upgrader
    If you were affected you would have seen it in the test that you already did. With the beta you won't see it either, then. But if you had the issue the beta would hopefully fix it by default.

This will be a gigantic off-topic, but was there any attempt to do the same work for Deus Ex: Invisible War? Add widescreen, integrate JP textures, fix possible compatibility bugs and so on?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Not that I know of - but the suggestion comes up once in a while. What I'd like to do is to set up a parallel project for DXIW with the most important patches and then hope for a technically inclined DXIW fan to pick it up. It's not happening any time soon, unfortunately.

Not having played DXIW, what would be a good name for such a project? It has to be "The <something> Upgrade".

The Visible Upgrade for an Invisible War, lol ))

The Augmented Upgrade, surely!

I think there's only a widescreen hack/utility for Deus Ex: IW? The game clearly didn't generate as much love as Deadly Shadows did, if the amount of mods (or lack therof) is any indication. Its a competent game though and would certainly benefit from updated textures. But I think IW suffers more from the engine limitations than Deadly Shadows does (and the Sneaky Upgrade/Gold fixes to a certain extent), in a way that isn't easily fixable (like glueing split levels together).

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    The Visible Upgrade for an Invisible War, lol ))
    LOL! Visible Upgrade (for Invisible War)

+1

Sneaky Upgrader
    Those would both work. We can have a poll eventually...

Augmented Upgrade does basically mean "upgraded upgrade", though, as fitting as the augmentation theme is. Perhaps use "augmentation" as the Deus Ex equivalent to "upgrade", e.g. The Invisible Augmentation?

Sneaky Upgrader
    The Visible Augmentation would be a compromise.

From the "Deus Ex" part, maybe The Divine Augmentation? Although that would be promising a lot.

I think "Visible Upgrade" is the best 'cause the (not very) SUBTLE irony about an invisible, forgotten (maybe somehow hated) game about an invisible war
    You resurrect it! It's now visible (and playable)!

And it recalls "Sneaky Upgrade", so you, Snobel, as the author ('cause you really deserve it).

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks.

I have the GOG version of DXIW - all the original files are dated 2003/2004 except DX2.exe and DX2Main.exe, which are from 2012 so probably modified for the re-release. Anybody have the original files? I'd like to see what they've changed. Edit: Never mind.
    Last edited by snobel; 15th Sep 2016 at 13:51.

Pointing out the main problem with the exe: it ALWAYS rewrites the user config file when finding some "non-expected" values (->widescreen resolutions), no matter how you set the file readable/writeble property.
    And it's a real pain in the ass The only way to block that autocratic exe is to disable the user config file write PERMISSIONS of the users (system/users/administratos) in the "security" tab.

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    This will be a gigantic off-topic, but was there any attempt to do the same work for Deus Ex: Invisible War? Add widescreen, integrate JP textures, fix possible compatibility bugs and so on?
    With no level editor for Invisible War, I don't know how many of the fixes would ever be put in place. Certainly can't stitch the levels together. Such a shame they can't be ported to the T3 engine...but sadly, the editor is far too hard coded.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's quite interesting, certainly explains the changed DX2.exe.

Pointing out the main problem with the exe: it ALWAYS rewrites the user config file when finding some "non-expected" values
    I'm sure it can be taught not to do that anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    With no level editor for Invisible War, I don't know how many of the fixes would ever be put in place. Certainly can't stitch the levels together.
    Yes, it doesn't have the same modding potential as T3. But it's likely that some bug fixes and tweaks could be ported from the SU, in addition to widescreen and FOV.

Anyone have any idea how to minimize the chances of getting the floating Garrett glitch when jumping? Ever since installing this patch I've been getting the glitch about 50x more frequently than before. Basically whenever I jump or mantle there's a 60% chance that the animation gets stuck.

I'm sure it can be taught not to do that anymore...
    I hope so, 'cause DXIW is really an anomalous UE 1.5 implementation:
    *the mouse sens. setting is saved in.....the save files (not in user.ini)
    *the visually terrible crosshair is hardcoded in the exe (YES), it's not a resource
    *the (stupid) compass keeps on showing up at every level/save loading, no matter the value in the ini set to turn if off

I know I've mentioned it before, but the biggest issue with DE2 is the immobile cursor at high system DPIs. Having to change DPI back and forth for each DE2 session was much worse than not having widescreen or anyother issue I can remember from my 2014 playthroughs. The second biggest being the very jarring return to desktop when you loaded or changed maps, or whatever the trigger for this was.

Also, late to the party but how about The Illuminati Upgrade. The Illuminati as well as being a faction in DE2, also means The Invisible Hand which is sort of along similar lines as Sneaky.

And DE2 is a great game. Just wanted to say that.

EDIT: As others have corrected, Illuminati does not mean "The Invisible Hand". I think "The Invisible Hand" was used in the game as more of a secondary "nickname", or a description of how they operated perhaps.
    Last edited by Cigam; 16th Sep 2016 at 13:25.

Illuminati means "Invisible Hand"? That's new to me; at least linguistically, the name means "the Enlightened". Where does the "Invisible Hand" thing come from?

Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459 ... LastLast