TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121722273237424752575859606162
Results 1,526 to 1,549 of 1549

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Crosire's one: https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases (the one Snobel uses)
    I've already done that.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by aerosq View Post
    Please!. I'd be very grateful.
    Here you are. It'll log the name and return address in Thief3.exe of every D3D call, to a file named d3d8_calls.log in the System folder.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Here you are. It'll log the name and return address in Thief3.exe of every D3D call, to a file named d3d8_calls.log in the System folder.
    Thanks!
    I'll try it on the next days and give you feedback.

Here is feedback:

Haha, I managed to get a little time to test the .dll today.
    Now I can assure wine takes the wrapper correctly. I just needed to add the .dll override in wine's configuration, I didn't do it last time. My mistake.
    I've tested both d3d8.dll wrappers: the logging one and the other one.
    - Wine shows the real time messages invoking Gallium Nine
    - The wrapper logs
    T3.exe crashes in both cases.
    This means unfortunately exactly what I expected:
    Wine doesn't get along with the pair d3d8 wappers + Gallium Nine (although it can load the wrapper).
    I'll keep trying to get Gallium Nine working on this game, surely by another wrapper...

The Archlinux PKGBUILD has the d3d8.dll wrapper from SU naturally, so the package is true to the source. The wrapper won't be used 'till the user makes the .dll override in wine's configuration.

Here is part of the wine real time messages. Here it shows Gallium Nine starts.

[aero@aerosq ~]$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/thief-3/wine" wine start /unix /usr/share/thief-3/System/T3.exe
    Native Direct3D 9 v0.4.0.0-release is active.
    For more information visit https://github.com/iXit/wine-nine-standalone

002d:fixmerocess:GetProcessWorkingSetSizeEx (0xffffffff,0x32e848,0x32e844,(nil)): stub
    002d:fixme:winediag:IKsPropertySetImpl_QuerySupport EAX sound effects are enabled - try to disable it if your app crashes unexpectedly
    002d:fixme:eax:EAX_QuerySupport ({a8fa6882-b476-11d3-bdb9-00c0f02ddf87},0,0032DF9C)
    002d:fixme:eax:EAX_QuerySupport ({c4d79f1e-f1ac-436b-a81d-a738e7045469},65536,0032DF9C)

fixme:d3d9nineRIPresentGroup_GetMultiheadCount (0x1bdbc0), stub!
    fixme:d3d9nineRIPresentGroup_GetMultiheadCount (0x1bdbc0), stub!
    002d:err:d3dcompiler:assemble_shader Asm reading failed
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000010 at address 0x10dcae29 (thread 002d), starting debugger...
    0038:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
    0035:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    002b:err:d3dcompiler:assemble_shader Asm reading failed
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000010 at address 0x10dcae29 (thread 002b), starting debugger...
    0036:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
    0033:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    0033:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    I'll report it in wine's bugtracker.

Here the d3d8.dll log just in case you want to take a look and make some comments.

Again, sorry for my bad english

Sneaky Upgrader
    I hope to get the disassembly annotated with the D3D calls at some point, until then that log is not generally useful.

Since the crash seems to be shader related, did you try using the native shader compiler DLL?

Also, try enabling single-core mode in the tweaker.

Also, see if the unpatched game will run, if you haven't already.

I hope to get the disassembly annotated with the D3D calls at some point, until then that log is not generally useful.

Since the crash seems to be shader related, did you try using the native shader compiler DLL?

I didn't do any of the tasks you just suggested.
    I did try next options in the "Troubleshoting" section of the tweaker:
    Direct Load
    Multisampling fix
    Windows 10 pseudo full screen
    Allow damaged saves
    Suspend progress bar

I'll try your suggestions and give you feedback.
    Thanks!

Here is feedback:

I've tried your suggestions

T3 + SU : OK
    T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig" : CRASH
    T3 + SU + logger wrapper (DX9) : CRASH LOG1
    T3 + SU + logger wrapper (DX9) + single core : CRASH LOG2
    T3 + SU + logger wrapper (DX9) + native shader compiler: CRASH LOG3
    T3 + SU + logger wrapper (DX9) + single core + native shader compiler: CRASH LOG4

Crashes everywhere!

Is there something useful in those logs?
    Last edited by aerosq; 23rd Jul 2019 at 01:23.

Also, see if the unpatched game will run, if you haven't already.[/URL]

Crashes everywhere!

Is there something useful in those logs?
    I just noted you also need the disassembly.
    How do I get it so I can give it yo you?

Sneaky Upgrader
    I just noted you also need the disassembly.
    Sorry, that's a misunderstanding - I mean the disassembled code as I see it in the binary debugger, when I rummage around inside the T3 exe.

I doubt those logs will be helpful, at least on my end. The way forward must be to file a bug with the Gallium Nine crew. Be sure to point them to both the free T3 demo and d3d8to9 on GitHub (although they probably know about that one). It's possible that the logs will be useful to them, although probably not, because the call args are not logged. (I should also mention that the logging DLL you have is a release build, where the logged return addresses may be wrong because of optimization.)

T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig" : CRASH
    Did you try T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig" + wrapper (DX9)?

I doubt those logs will be helpful, at least on my end. The way forward must be to file a bug with the Gallium Nine crew. Be sure to point them to both the free T3 demo and d3d8to9 on GitHub (although they probably know about that one)
    I will

Did you try T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig" + wrapper (DX9)?
    No, I didn't.
    I will... but since I get a crash with T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig", I don't feel so optimistic about it.
    I'll make this try and write some comments.

Thank you!

Sneaky Upgrader
    No, I don't think it'll work either. But if it did, then it should be possible to track down the relevant SU changes.

No, I don't think it'll work either. But if it did, then it should be possible to track down the relevant SU changes.
    snobel
    I've tested the game with the -orig siwtch.
    I get a crash, as expected...
    just for the record:

T3 + SU "T3.exe -orig" + logger wrapper (DX9) : CRASH LOG
    Last edited by aerosq; 30th Jul 2019 at 20:48.

Hello,

How do I remove the MP logo from the loading screen? Before it was a simple .dds change, now it's nowhere to be found.

I prefer the original over the modded one, as much as I love the MP mod.

Edit, should have the read readme, mod files are in programdata now. Changed there, all is well.
    Last edited by Igor Kool; 13th Aug 2019 at 15:31.

Not sure if this is Sneaky related or game related, but having Music > 0 and using the tweaker's quicksave feature, every time I quicksave the music comes back on, forcing a quit to menu/load.

Edit: I have quicksaves set to 2 (if that matters).

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quite weird...

Please set the log level to Dump on the Troubleshooting page in SneakyTweaker, then run the game, do a quicksave and quit. Then find Sneaky.log (in C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade), upload it somewhere and post a link. (You can also post it here in code tags, but uploading is preferred.)

Do you get this issue after starting a new game or are you loading a save? If you don't get it in a new game, please also upload a save.

Snobel.

How are you?

In the last SU release's Readme (1.1.10) says:

• Less dependency on registry values (ignores ION_ROOT by default)
    • If the “Thief – Deadly Shadows” folder in the user's Documents folder is not used for savegames,then it can be deleted and will not be recreated when the game is launched

I have some questions:
    1. What exactly does it mean "less dependency on registry values"?. Does SU ignore ION_ROOT at all?, Does SU AND (patched) T3 ignore ION_ROOT?, Does only Saves/MODS/FMs ignore ION_ROOT?
    2. Regarding to "If the “Thief – Deadly Shadows” folder in the user's Documents folder is not used (...)" , can I choose another Save/Options directory?, Do I need to edit some file to do this?, Does this directory get created automaticaly next time it needs to be used?... or what exactly does it mean?.

Thank you for your answers!
    Last edited by aerosq; 5th Nov 2019 at 13:31.

Hello!! I love your patch!! XD

The patch contains various bugfixes and game improvements such as widescreen support, and provides some GUI tweaks. It also enables the use of the FMSel FM loader frontend with Thief 3 and bundles the most important T3 mods. It works with the GOG and Steam versions of the game.

Original game bugs and issues that have been fixed or improved:

• New missions and restarted missions will use your chosen difficulty instead of Normal/Easy
    • The City sections are now played on your chosen difficulty instead of always being on Normal
    • Frame rate and refresh rate limiting fixes broken lockpicking, ladder climbing and wall flattening
    • Some speed-up of level loading, especially with vsync on
    • Fix for the desktop being visible during level loading on Vista and up
    • The game will no longer crash when binding an analogue controller through the keybinds screen
    • Fix for controller axes sometimes being set up reverted
    • Fix for a crash that could happen when using the game's multisampling option
    • Fix for the mouse freezing or becoming invisible when using large font size settings in Windows
    • Fix for the mouse cursor not being captured on Windows 10
    • Improved compatibility with Windows 10 by installing the d3d8to9 wrapper DLL from ReShade

Game improvements:

• All resolutions reported by the system, plus an optional custom display mode, are available from the options screen. The aspect ratio is shown as well
    • In widescreen the horizontal view is extended, instead of cropping off the top and bottom
    • The field-of-view can be specified by the user. The setting will work with both the original game and fanmissions, with existing savegames and with missions which use scripted FOV changes. FOV adjustment includes the mechanical eye and bow zoom
    • The HUD and menus are shown correctly, regardless of resolution and aspect ratio. In 3-monitor modes, the HUD can be constricted to the center monitor
    • The main menu and loading screens are shown correctly, at 4:3 aspect. The proper movies, which are letterboxed, are allowed to crop to fit the monitor (up to 16:9)
    • Take screenshots with descriptive file names, and automatically with savegames
    • XBox360-type gamepads are working, the triggers are mapped to buttons. Support for up to 16 gamepad buttons using modifiers. Mouse and escape key emulation
    • Run the game on a display other than the primary
    • Multiple quick saves, quick load the most recent save

As an FM loader, the emphasis is on ease of use and reliability:

• Easy to set up – besides this patch there is nothing to install or configure
    • The contents of your game installation folder are never changed. (GarrettLoader has a habit of messing up your installation)
    • Works even if the game is installed in Program Files
    • Automatically installs custom conversations. (Used in the FM All the World's a Stage)
    • Fixes for crash on save and crash on exit in certain FMs, and for the mechanical eye zoom not working in many FMs
    • Fix for the in-game loot list showing wrong values and total in certain FMs
    • Fix for an original issue which could cause objectives and sounds to start disappearing after some time
    • The FMSel supplied with the installer is slightly improved over the NewDark version
    • Works with NewDarkLoader and AngelLoader too

Additionally some optional tweaks have been incorporated:

• Mirror and/or scale down the main HUD
    • Improved loading screen text: Scale it down, improve formatting
    • Minor HUD and GUI tweaks: Remove loading screen tips, mechanical eye overlay, main menu version text, "Nothing" texts, loot percentage, purple fog, 'bouncing arrows', junk item flashing and the lockpicking HUD
    • Always show the healthbar
    • Turn the short intro movies off, or replace them with the game's trailer
    • Alternative background modes for the readable/map and pause screens
    • Better mouse response and removed motion blur, adjust mouse sensitivity
    • More realistic physics, gravity multiplier
    • Scale the difficulty up or down. (Can be set to zero for a 'notarget' cheat)
    • Disable auto-raising of the blackjack and dagger
    • Reduce or remove headbobbing
    • No switch to third person in death
    • Classic speed (walk by default, run qualifier) and a speed multiplier
    • Decrease or increase the ambient fog or ambient light in any level
    • Bright mouse cursor
    • Turn down the volume of cutscenes and other videos
    • Borderless windowed mode
    • End a mission by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Alt+End (see the SU readme for caveats)

All tweaks are disabled by default.

Download:

The full edition includes the mods The Minimalist Project, The Collective Texture Pack (a.k.a. John P), "GarrAT" Garrett Animation Tweaks, Thief 3 Gold, Briefing Videos and a small mod providing updated font textures. Please see those threads or the included readme files for more information. The update edition only includes the SU patch and the SneakyTweaker tool. It provides a much smaller download in cases where the mods are unchanged since the last release.

Note: The mods have changed in 1.1.10 so get the full edition unless you have no interest in the mods (and have none currently installed, or intend to remove them during installation).

Current release 1.1.10: Full (mirror) - Update (mirror) - readme - release post

Previous releases can be found here. Please report it if you find that an older version works for you, while the current version doesn't.

A build script for Arch Linux is available, see this post.

Installation:

• It's recommended to reboot before installation, especially for the full edition
    • It's also recommended to disable the virus checker during installation
    • Advanced users should consult the list of additional installation options in the readme
    • Execute the installer
    • Steam users should read Additional notes below
    • Run the SneakyTweaker tool for setting up tweaks and mods

After first-time installation the game should start in the current desktop resolution.

The installer will set up a start menu group with shortcuts to the readmes, the options folder, installed FMs folder etc. By default it will also create three icons on your desktop: A yellow glyph icon for the original game, a cyan version for the fan mission selector and a green version for the SneakyTweaker tool.

The patch has its own configuration file, SneakyOptions.ini. Normally this should be changed only through the tweak tool, but for advanced options manual editing is necessary. In that case it can be found through the Sneaky Upgrade start menu group (in Local Folders).

Fan missions:

Beginner's quick start guide to playing FMs using the FMSel loader frontend: (To play using GL, just make sure GL is installed before installing the Sneaky Upgrade.)

• Create a folder for downloaded FMs in a neutral location. A subfolder of your Downloads folder will do
    • Go to a site which hosts Thief 3 FMs, and download some into that folder
    • Start FMSel through the cyan desktop icon.
    • A dialog will ask for the FM archive path. Select the folder from above
    • The FMSel window will now show the titles of the downloaded FMs. Right-click an entry and select View Info File to see the FM's readme
    • To start the mission, click Play FM (or Start FM if you're ready for a full play-through)
    • See the FMSel readme for more detailed information

Additional notes:

The patch expects an original installation, the original T3UI.ini in particular. Existing tweaks may or may not be compatible.

It's not necessary to install the official 1.1 patch before installing the SU.

Steam users should disable updates for the game and refrain from doing game cache validation, because it would remove the patch. Be sure to run the game once prior to installation, otherwise the game's registry values may not be set. As a work-around to get the overlay working, add the patched game as a non-Steam game. (Browse to the Steam install and select the Thief3.exe file.)

If you want to use TDS Tweaker to change frob colour, then you have to get this updated version of Myagi's patcher. Copy it into the T3Tweak folder and rename it MyagiPatcher.exe. It's recommended to use the built-in tweak instead of TDS Tweaker to remove the loot percentage.

If you have existing savegames, and they appear to have gone missing after installing the patch, then chances are that your SaveGamePath registry value is set to a location in your private user folder. (The original default path is in your Documents folder). Such paths are diverted to the public Documents folder for the unpatched game, but not anymore after patching. Either locate the new folder and move your savegames there, or edit your registry to use the old path. Also note that Thief 3 Gold will use a separate folder for savegames, since original saves are not compatible.

There are a few known issues - nothing major, though. There is a list in the readme. Hopefully they will be fixed in a future version.

Acknowledgements:

Tester hall of fame: Estel Randir, Adsk1, Acleacius, Abysmal, fortuni, Maruchin, Linda, noblehelm, Cigam, mensch, AluminumHaste, Depili, Kerrle, decayedmatter, DJ Riff, lowenz, Lolwutman, Corsair, bikerdude, Beleg Cúthalion, Child Of Karras, gnartsch, chrish, Pheonix, PsymH, Hiatus, tolsen64, Xarg, Zaratul, voodoo47, Lord Soth, scavvenjahh, scarcow and TreyM

This patch builds on previous fixes and ideas etc. from the following sources: massimilianogoi, tolsen64, Hadley, NotCarolKaye, daremo, Xiaopang, New Horizon, Pheonix, Kerrle, lolwutman, swaaye and UCyborg...

A huge thanks goes to le Corbeau for NewDark and FMSel, to John P, New Horizon, Beleg Cúthalion and mensch for permission to include their mods, and to the FMSel translators: gnartsch (German), Briareos H (French), raven4444 (Polish), DonSleza4e and Glypher (Russian).

Thanks also to clearing, Lord Soth and Esme for file mirrors.

Screenshots:

Here's the slightly improved options screen at 16:9 aspect ratio, and an example of the smaller, better looking loading screen text in Thief 3 Gold:

Here's the same scene at various aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9 and 16:3 (3-monitor) with the HUD on the center monitor:

It also works in portrait modes (as 'vert+'), although the HUD looks a little weird:

FOV examples: 80 %, 100 % (default) and 125 %

HUD tweaking examples: Mirrored, scaled to 50 %, scaled to 75 % and mirrored

I was wonderin' if the first map really does have 3 special loot items and I just can't find the last one!!!

Sneaky Upgrader
    How are you?
    I'm fine, thanks. How are you?

What exactly does it mean "less dependency on registry values"?. Does SU ignore ION_ROOT at all?, Does SU AND (patched) T3 ignore ION_ROOT?, Does only Saves/MODS/FMs ignore ION_ROOT?
    The unpatched game has two registry values, ION_ROOT is the path to the game install, SaveGamePath is the path containing the SaveGames folder (which contains saves and, for the unpatched game, user options).

With the SU, ION_ROOT is not used at all. Files within the game install are found relative to the location of the game exe. SaveGamePath is still used - in addition to the SaveGames folder, that path now has a folder named Options, replacing the original options folder (within SaveGames), which would have a localized name. The SaveGamePath is also where screenshots are stored. To further complicate things, saves and screenshots are kept in differently-named folders depending on which mods are enabled...

The path to the mods and installed FMs are defined in SneakyOptions.ini, which is in the Options folder, which is found through the SaveGamePath registry value, as described.

In a future SU I intend to provide an install-time option to ignore SaveGamePath too, or rather to hard-wire it to the game install root, allowing you to have a self-contained install with everything, the way T1-2 are often set up.

Regarding to "If the “Thief – Deadly Shadows” folder in the user's Documents folder is not used (...)" , can I choose another Save/Options directory?, Do I need to edit some file to do this?, Does this directory get created automaticaly next time it needs to be used?... or what exactly does it mean?.
    You'll need to change the SaveGamePath registry value. Edit: The registry path is HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows, but Wine may leave out the WOW6432Node part. The folders there (SaveGames*, ScreenShots*, Options) are created by the game as needed. I don't remember if the SaveGamePath location itself is auto-created.

The registry values are machine-wide (under HKLM), but SaveGamePath defaults to the installing user's Documents folder, which was not a problem when the game came out, but with later versions of Windows, with less relaxed permissions, it caused a bit of a mess: A 'helpful' compatibility fix would divert reads of that value to the public Documents folder, causing confusion when existing savegames would suddenly not be found. And the Ion Launcher exe would still create a log file in the old location, creating a "Thief - Deadly Shadows" folder containing only that small useless log file every time you ran the game. With the SU, that log file is not created, so if the Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows folder is not used for savegames etc. it can be deleted and won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gricecal View Post
    I was wonderin' if the first map really does have 3 special loot items and I just can't find the last one!!!
    The third item is indeed hard to find. Hint: Look around the basement. Outright spoiler: It's on a high shelf in the book case which is behind you when you mantle over the crates shortly after entering the inn.
    Last edited by snobel; 7th Nov 2019 at 08:22.

@Snobel

Thank you for the answer!
    I was asking because I plan to update the install script for Archilinux.
    The 1.1.10 script I've made didin't take this registry changes into account... though today it works perfectly for new installations and upgrades.
    Discarding registry issues will clean the script notably.

Please, if you make changes in folder structure or registry keys logic, let me know.

I take this opportunity to tell you that I worked with jax64 to do a wine-transparent T2:TMA + T2Fix for Archlinux, just as I did with you for T3 + SU. The work is already done and works perfectly.
    Now I am finishing the year in my work and I am very busy with other things. But as soon as I can I will start working on a unified installation script for Thief in Archlinux taking advantage of the fact that T1 and T2 need NewDark "as a dependency" and T1, T2 and T3 could use the same FM manager as an "optional dependency"

Sarry my bad english,
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by aerosq; 6th Nov 2019 at 12:26.

I found that loot item!

I'm fine, thanks. How are you?

The unpatched game has two registry values, ION_ROOT is the path to the game install, SaveGamePath is the path containing the SaveGames folder (which contains saves and, for the unpatched game, user options).

With the SU, ION_ROOT is not used at all. Files within the game install are found relative to the location of the game exe. SaveGamePath is still used - in addition to the SaveGames folder, that path now has a folder named Options, replacing the original options folder (within SaveGames), which would have a localized name. The SaveGamePath is also where screenshots are stored. To further complicate things, saves and screenshots are kept in differently-named folders depending on which mods are enabled...

The path to the mods and installed FMs are defined in SneakyOptions.ini, which is in the Options folder, which is found through the SaveGamePath registry value, as described.

In a future SU I intend to provide an install-time option to ignore SaveGamePath too, or rather to hard-wire it to the game install root, allowing you to have a self-contained install with everything, the way T1-2 are often set up.

You'll need to change the SaveGamePath registry value. I'm not on Windows now, so can't provide the path but I'll update the post later. The folders there (SaveGames*, ScreenShots*, Options) are created by the game as needed. I don't remember if the SaveGamePath location itself is auto-created.

The registry values are machine-wide (under HKLM), but SaveGamePath defaults to the installing user's Documents folder, which was not a problem when the game came out, but with later versions of Windows, with less relaxed permissions, it caused a bit of a mess: A 'helpful' compatibility fix would divert reads of that value to the public Documents folder, causing confusion when existing savegames would suddenly not be found. And the Ion Launcher exe would still create a log file in the old location, creating a "Thief - Deadly Shadows" folder containing only that small useless log file every time you ran the game. With the SU, that log file is not created, so if the Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows folder is not used for savegames etc. it can be deleted and won't come back.

The third item is indeed hard to find. Hint: Look around the basement. Outright spoiler: It's on a high shelf in the book case which is behind you when you mantle over the crates shortly after entering the inn.
    I found that one but the one I can't find is not on the shelf by the fireplace and not in the dark bookcase in the basement of doom! XP

Sneaky Upgrader
    Then the last one is in the Peony suite, in the locked chest.

Keeper Enforcer glitch in Stonemarket Plaza?

So I chose the "Telepathy" option for the Keeper Enforcers, and it's awesome to have Enforcers that aren't complete maniacs. But for some reason, even with the Telepathy option, they remain visible in Stonemarket Plaza. I changed to "Invisible" and the same thing happens. Is this a glitch or is it intentional? Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sounds like a bug, but it could have a number of causes. Can you upload a save?

Sounds like a bug, but it could have a number of causes. Can you upload a save?
    Here ya go!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lM9...ew?usp=sharing

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121722273237424752575859606162