TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 192429343944495459646566676869
Results 1,701 to 1,723 of 1723

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    With ReShade 4.9.1 there's no more "hint"/"interaction" interference - in DXIW - with the DB reconstruction process! Yeah!
    That's good news.

Here's what I mean as "blur", you'll see it really well using 1/4 resolution (1280x720 instead of 2560x144) and then integer-upscaling
    Hmm, I can't really pretend that I know what you're talking about. But it's not something I can fix, unless someone can tell me "this D3D API call is wrong in this way", or something very specific like that. I could do the implementation of a fix but I'm fairly clueless with graphics stuff.

Just take a look to the "jaggies" (aliasing), they're not right (not SHARP, as they must be in a PNG lossless image), like there's some kind of filtering already applied (no AA, no Bloom) or wrong internal resolution.
    Always thought (since 2003, LOL ! ) it was a bloom side-effect, turned out to be false!

You can see the issue very well on a Quad HD monitor using 1280x720 and then an integer upscaler (upscaling with no bilinear filtering, just brutal 1 pixel -> 4 pixels ).
    There's something smoothing the image in the rasterization pipeline, as you can see in the 1280x720->2560x1440 image. That blurring along the contours would NOT be present otherwise.
    Last edited by lowenz; 5th Feb 2021 at 08:04.

Just take a look to the "jaggies" (aliasing), they're not right (not SHARP, as they must be in a PNG lossless image), like there's some kind of filtering already applied (no AA, no Bloom) or wrong internal resolution.
    Always thought (since 2003, LOL ! ) it was a bloom side-effect, turned out to be false!

You can see the issue very well on a Quad HD monitor using 1280x720 and then an integer upscaler (upscaling with no bilinear filtering, just brutal 1 pixel -> 4 pixels ).
    There's something smoothing the image in the rasterization pipeline, as you can see in the 1280x720->2560x1440 image. That blurring along the contours would NOT be present otherwise.
    Yeah, it looks like all 3D views are passed through bilinear filtering.

Maybe this was done to reduce the need for AA since the game was pretty brutal on hardware when it released?

It's map-dependent (or so it shows itself): Intro (logo) "map" of DEIW, no issue at all -> https://www.mediafire.com/file/ab2e6...3_917.png/file

And in the same way for Thief DS.....it's strange.
    Don't know if it's a quirk of the engine or a not.

Thief DS behaviour:

As you can see the "logo" map has no blurring at all, the Moira map shows.....both!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vf6zc...ujo/0.png/file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/69b1m...25w/1.png/file

Sneaky Upgrader
    Ok, I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Yeah, it looks like all 3D views are passed through bilinear filtering.
    Maybe this was done to reduce the need for AA since the game was pretty brutal on hardware when it released?
    Could be - or maybe there's a bug related to the 'reduced viewport size during rotation' feature? (Where I guess applying filtering would make sense?)

In static stance? :|

Kind of "depth-based filtering" is possible?

Sneaky Upgrader
    In static stance? :|
    Well, there would have to be bugs, i.e. filtering always applied. But yeah, probably not.

It's the raised gamma that doesn't reset when you exit TDS.

Please, use this d3d8to9 wrapper (from the author of ReShade): https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases/tag/v1.11.0
    Tried it but it didn't make any difference.. anyways, I guess its something I have to live with..

One last question; in some missions, framerates drop significantly when looking at certain directions if I use T3 Gold.. my laptop is an old one and probably can't handle the extra rendering load coming from the "no transition" feature.. but maybe, just maybe this d3d8 dll causing it?.. or is there any way to play with T3 Gold without using this no transition feature?

d3d8 by Crosire performs BETTER than native d3d8 by MS on every 2010-today system with Windows 10.

On Windows 7 you can avoid it (probably), just remove the dll.

Hi. Since have W10 i started having problems running T3 with Sneaky upgrade.
    Now with the door locks, sometimes the lock picking don't work well. How to fix this?

Sneaky Upgrader
    This is usually caused by the framerate being too high, which should be fixed by the SU - unless you changed some values in the tweak tool:

Check if max framerate and/or max refresh rate on the Display page are 90 and 85 respectively, and set them to those values if not.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    This is usually caused by the framerate being too high, which should be fixed by the SU - unless you changed some values in the tweak tool:

Check if max framerate and/or max refresh rate on the Display page are 90 and 85 respectively, and set them to those values if not.
    Have these values. Also tried with 60 and nothing.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I don't know of anything else that could affect it. You could try windowed mode, or experiment with different D3D wrappers. You can also record and upload a log file after setting the level to Dump in the tweak tool, then I'll have a look.

For those interested in knowing what the last XP compatible version was I can confirm that Setup_T3SneakyUpgrade_Fat_1.1.6.exe works fine on Windows XP.
    Anything newer would likely require hexedits, wrapping to or installation of OneCoreAPI files.
    For newer versions the only issue may be SneakyTweaker since the T3 executable appears to run fine. So possibly just editing config file manually (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options) may be an option. Haven't looked into it.
    Last edited by DosFreak; 21st Mar 2021 at 20:53.

Brightness Control Issue

Hello, So I'm having an issue adjusting the brightness in game, the game was working fine the other day. I first ran into an issue in which Garrett would tend to either turn around, or look in a random direction upon exiting the map, or any readable which while it wasn't game breaking, just annoyed me. I then proceeded to try and fix that and ran into SO many other issues, but eventually fixed them all(except this brightness issue). The first issue was fixed by what i believe was enabling the option to have the game pause during the moment of looking at a map, or readable.

Now I know in "Sneaky upgrade>troubleshooting" there is an option called "Windows pseudo fix", but no matter which combination of that and "Sneaky upgrade>display>window mode" i do nothing works. Now i DID fix the brightness control once, but I'm not sure how exactly. I now currently have to reload the game a few times for the brightness to kick in correctly, but even that is not full proof.

I am running the full sneaky upgrade, and version 1.2 of deadly shadows.

Any help with this would be amazing! thanks in advance.

The best way to solve the old-monitor-handling issue of the brigthness (widely diffused with d3d8 game engines 'cause they use the hardware gamma now deprecated) is to use a d3d wrapper like

1) crosire one -> https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases (it's far from complete)
    2) dgVoodoo 2 one -> http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

The best way to solve the old-monitor-handling issue of the brigthness (widely diffused with d3d8 game engines 'cause they use the hardware gamma now deprecated) is to use a d3d wrapper like

1) crosire one -> https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases (it's far from complete)
    2) dgVoodoo 2 one -> http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
    hmmm ok a few question....
    1. the dgvoodoo site, do i also need to grab D3Dcompiler, D3DRM and 3DFX??
    2. how do i install these things? do they put themselves in the correct folders? or are they more like mods?
    3. the sneaky upgrade had something within the start up that said like "run this game with d3d" or something, do i need to have that clicked in order for this to work?
    Last edited by ddw92; 22nd Apr 2021 at 17:46. Reason: typo, new question

1) With the lastest version no (and the d3dcompiler was needed for the Glide wrapping - "3DFX" package contains the classic logo videos of 3DFX, pure nostalgia )
    2) put the right DLL in the same dir of the main exe of a game - with the alternative of the "bin" folder if present - and choose the "right" dll: d3d9 for d3d9 engines, d38 for d3d8 engines, DDraw+D3DImm for d3d7->1 engines + configure all the options through the control panel as you do with your GPU drivers
    3) ?!?

BTW Thief DS is a d3d8 game.

1) With the lastest version no (and the d3dcompiler was needed for the Glide wrapping - "3DFX" package contains the classic logo videos of 3DFX, pure nostalgia )
    2) put the right DLL in the same dir of the main exe of a game - with the alternative of the "bin" folder if present - and choose the "right" dll: d3d9 for d3d9 engines, d38 for d3d8 engines, DDraw+D3DImm for d3d7->1 engines + configure all the options through the control panel as you do with your GPU drivers
    3) ?!?

BTW Thief DS is a d3d8 game.
    1. ok cool
    2. um im so confused, ive never messed with my gpu drivers so i have no idea what you just said lol. im a newbie
    3. so you mention now that deadly shadows is a d3d8 game, thats what i was referring to on my #3, when i run the full upgrade set up it asks if i want to run the game with d3d8, but i didnt have the option clicked as i wasnt sure what that was. so im not sure if that will have any affect with this voodoo file.

UPDATE: so i tried putting d3d8 into same folder as the game exe, and nothing happened...i found the quick guide url within the file, but thats quite confusing as well, as it says at the top
    You need a graphics card supporting DX10.0 as a minimum.
    and i have no clue if mine does. plus theres folders within the voodoo file labeled "x86" "64" "napalm" which have the same .dll files in them and im so confused on what to choose. ugh i just dont want to mess anything up
    Last edited by ddw92; 22nd Apr 2021 at 21:06. Reason: typo, new question, new info

*just say the name of your VGA. dgVoodoo2 needs a DX10/11 class GPU (as a minimum requirement) to wrap D3D8 APIs to D3D11 APIs.
    All the 2010->2021 GPUs are DX10/11 compliant. DX12 compliant too using recent (2017-2018->2021) drivers.

x86 -> all dx8/d3d8 games are x86 and NOT x64. x64 (64 bit) are for SOME dx9-era games. Napalm is for GLide (3DFX), not D3D.

So just put d3d8.dll from MS\x86 dir in Thief DS root and point to that folder in the dgVoodoo2 control panel ("Add" button). Configure the options in DirectX tab as you wish.

*just say the name of your VGA. dgVoodoo2 needs a DX10/11 class GPU to wrap D3D8 APIs to D3D11 APIs.

x86 -> all dx8/d3d8 games are x86 and NOT x64. x64 (64 bit) are for SOME dx9-era games. Napalm is for GLide (3DFX), not D3D.

So just put d3d8.dll from x86 dir in Thief DS root and point to that dir in the dgVoodoo2 control panel ("Add" button). Configure the options in DirectX tab as you wish.
    ohhhh ok so i have to launch dgvoodoo and config it? thats probably why im not seeing any change. uhh i clicked "add" and no .dll file is showing up, or do i point to the folder that its now in?

Edit: nevermind i got it, but i still cant seem to fix the brightness control
    Last edited by ddw92; 23rd Apr 2021 at 05:31.

Quote Originally Posted by ddw92 View Post
    ohhhh ok so i have to launch dgvoodoo and config it? thats probably why im not seeing any change. uhh i clicked "add" and no .dll file is showing up, or do i point to the folder that its now in?

Edit: nevermind i got it, but i still cant seem to fix the brightness control
    Point to the main exe / bin folder and configure, like this example (3DMark 2001):

BTW, your VGA?

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 192429343944495459646566676869