TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26313641465156616671727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1917

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sounds like it could be the same issue as this?

Yes, my issue is word for word the same as that post. I will reinstall the game and sneaky upgrade into my windows install drive. I have also encountered another game with the same problem: Discovery Tour: Ancient Egypt. It was an assassin's creed spin off game that only worked if installed on windows install drive.

Thanks for the solution, I will try it and report back if it doesn't work.

I embedded an image of the problem in my last reply but it disappeared. Here's a link to the image: https://ibb.co/wQpqQX4

I posted a question and hit refresh a few times, don't see it. Weird.

So anyway I like the playstyle changes but don't like the dull red loot glint, how do I get back the original loot glint?

Thanks.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sounds like you have the texture pack (CTP) enabled? All the textures are enabled by default but in the tweak tool you can disable those that change the loot glint.

Yeah that was it, I checked all the options in the tweaker before I posted in this thread, dunno how I managed to miss that.

is there an ETA on combining the city into one big zone? Wish the source code would leak.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Svperstar View Post
    is there an ETA on combining the city into one big zone?
    No ETA, and as I have less time these days, it's realistically at least a couple of years out. There'll probably be some tests/previews before that, though.

Wish the source code would leak.
    Me too...

hi!
    please tell me, is sneaky upgrade still being updated?
    Is it possible to add an EAX setting in the future?

The thing is that I play with steam deck and no matter how hard I try, I absolutely canít turn it on on Linux. And with the old parts of thief there is no such problem, either tfix or hdmod after installation activates the work correctly..

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by uyvie View Post
    please tell me, is sneaky upgrade still being updated?
    It is - if only very occasionally.

Is it possible to add an EAX setting in the future?
    Providing out-of-the-box EAX support is one of those things I'd like to have a go at but it's not high on the to-do list.

If some one (like me )
    likes to simply delete all folders and not use the uninstaller, and you get a situation where the installer cannot delete previous files, because. they are no longer there)
    Then here is the path to the registry, just delete this entire directory:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6787B847-DE1D-4B75-AF7F-9F0B0FF9E59E}_is1
    After that you will be able to reinstall su as usual

I also noticed that on the steam deck (as far as I know, steam OS is based on ArchLinux) d3d8.dll does not work correctly
    I installed SU through protontricks, I didnít check how it works through a special script (Iíll check later)

SteamDeck in general has problems working with dlls, especially with this game, but Iíll experiment with it some more, and if I can come up with something, Iíll be back with news)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Taffey View Post
    Good news! Deadly Shadows works now as it used to. It was Silent Hill 4 that actually gave me an idea. That game won't work unless you install it on the drive where your windows is installed. If I put it on the other 1,8 TB one where I keep games, it will not work. So I did the same thing with Thief and behold! Works just fine. Both used to run fine on the 1,8 TB disk so maybe it's slowly getting f..... up and I might need a new one in the future.
    Thanks so much for posting this! I was running into this exact same issue - not with the Steam edition, but with the original discs. Will try re-installing it on the main C: drive rather than the other drive where I have my games installed on this (by today's standards) sub-par computer in my office. EDIT: Did, and it works!

I've had this (and several other) games for ~20+ years at this point, assuming they'd always work - and now that I'm finally going back to install and try to play them, finding that they don't. It never occurred to me that one day Windows wouldn't be able to run old Windows programs - was always assumed it would be backwards compatible. Now Red Alert 2 doesn't work at all, and the Thief games only work thanks to the efforts of the folks who made this mod.

Many thanks to them for the mod - and thanks for posting this workaround! I'm going to finish up this trilogy that I never got around to completing!
    Last edited by calthaer; 4th Mar 2024 at 09:27.

Hey I just installed T3 gog and sneaky upgrade. The game works fine, however I can't change any of the input keys. I can right click the mouse and remove a pre-defined key, and I can reset them all to defaults, but I can't customize any keys for myself. Is there a special button to hit do to this? Very confused, as this shouldn't be that difficult.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Hmm, it should work like this: click on an entry in the input table, it starts flashing, you hit the key or mouse button you want assigned. If that doesn't work, then there's something weird going on. I guess you get the flashing since you can reset the entry? Are other keypresses just ignored?

If all else fails, you can edit the bindings manually in Options.ini (in the Options folder somewhere in C:\GOG Games, IIRC).

Yeah, there is no flashing going on. I can edit the options.ini, so at least that's a workaround, but super annoying. If I run the game like normal (without sneakyupgrade) then the game crashes as I try to edit an input.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Do you have a controller connected? Because that's usually the cause of that crash with the unpatched game. If you do, try disconnecting it and see if that fixes the other issue too.

I have controllers installed, but they're not connected. I managed to change all the input via the .ini file and it's all working, so no biggie.

However, another problem I have is I can't scroll down in the objectives list before the mission. If there are too many objectives to show on screen, when I try to scroll, the menu just jitters. If I reduce the font size or change the font type so it's smaller that fixes the problem cause I can then see all the objectives, but it doesn't change the scrolling error.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Do you have the issue with any mission where the objectives won't fit in the view? Does it happen no matter how you scroll (mousewheel, slider, arrow keys)?

How do you change the font and font size? Default.ini?

I used SneakyTweaker to change to the minimalist project which has a different and smaller font. But like I said, it doesn't change the problem, just makes it so I can see all the objectives. Yes it happens to any mission and yes any type of scrolling.

Edit: Fixed it! It was indeed the controllers you mentioned earlier. I didn't have any connected, but there were several instances of JoyX and JoyX- in the options.ini file. I removed all of those and voila, it worked. Not sure why, but hey.
    Last edited by klatremus; 14th Mar 2024 at 15:56.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I remember now that there's been a couple of similar cases previously, and even a fix: at the bottom of the Gamepad page in the tweak tool there's an option to disable 'phantom input'.

If you're up for an experiment, try temporarily renaming or moving your Options.ini file, run the game to have it generate a default one and verify that the issue is back. Then check if the tweaker option is a fix in your case too.

Would it be a good idea to integrate d8vk ( dx8 to vulkan ) with the next release of this upgrade ? It works amazing on Linux with wine/proton. I have tested it. Here is a link https://github.com/AlpyneDreams/d8vk

So I started a new game with the latest version Sneaky Mod earlier this year, I posted in this thread in February.

I got a brand new PC on Feb 16th, i7-14700kf + 4080S.

Just took the SSD out of my old laptop and put it in my new computer.

If I run Thief 3 with no mods it runs fine. If I run Thief 3 + Sneaky Upgrade with D3D8, it runs fine.

However if I want to run it with D3D8toD3D9 or DXVK or Dgvoodoo2 it crashes. The game will load and show the loading bar, then soon as loading completes it closes with no error. I tried going into the tweaker and setting the log to Spam, the game doesn't even make a log file. It just closes.

Tried changing things in the trouble shooting tab, and also deleting my options.ini, no difference. It just closes.

Any idea? I haven't tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Thief 3/Sneaky Upgrade yet.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by hammadnadeemx View Post
    Would it be a good idea to integrate d8vk ( dx8 to vulkan ) with the next release of this upgrade ? It works amazing on Linux with wine/proton. I have tested it.
    It's probably too niche for the SU installer. Also, sounds like it would be better (and fairly easy) to make a separate installer for it, as other games would benefit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Svperstar View Post
    However if I want to run it with D3D8toD3D9 or DXVK or Dgvoodoo2 it crashes. The game will load and show the loading bar, then soon as loading completes it closes with no error.
    Not much to suggest here - sorry...

I tried going into the tweaker and setting the log to Spam, the game doesn't even make a log file. It just closes.
    You did look in the right place: C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade? If you get as far as the loading screen, the log ought to contain something.

Any idea? I haven't tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Thief 3/Sneaky Upgrade yet.
    If you haven't already, try disabling any and all virus checkers. That's the first thing to try in case of T3 weirdness.

You can try reinstalling but it may be a Windows issue and not T3 specific. Can you run other games with those wrapper DLLs?

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    I remember now that there's been a couple of similar cases previously, and even a fix: at the bottom of the Gamepad page in the tweak tool there's an option to disable 'phantom input'.
    That was it. After I fixed the issue with removing controller inputs from options.ini last time, the problem returned when rebooting the computer. Checking off phantom input in SneakyTweaker's gamepad section removed all issues. Now I can even set the input in-game, which I was never able to. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    You did look in the right place: C:\ProgramData\Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade? If you get as far as the loading screen, the log ought to contain something.

If you haven't already, try disabling any and all virus checkers. That's the first thing to try in case of T3 weirdness.

You can try reinstalling but it may be a Windows issue and not T3 specific. Can you run other games with those wrapper DLLs?
    Yes I got Thief Gold running AdvancedAutoHDR with Vulkan. Looks amazing.

Played with options some more and got a log file for Sneaky mod. I haven't tried deleting my Thief 3 folder and reinstalling from scratch. I know I need to try that.
    Oh yeah, the only anti-virus I run is windows built in anti-virus. I told it to completely ignore the Thief folder AND turned off real time protection. I don't expect anyone to spend a lot of time on this, after all I haven't wiped/reinstalled Thief 3 which is a good first step with weird errors like this. Here is my log. I installed Vulkan-Async trying to mess with HDR.

Here is the log file:
    https://pastebin.com/eBWcdiqF

Sneaky Upgrader
    I'll have a look at the log, probably tomorrow.

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26313641465156616671727374757677 LastLast