TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Gold print ad with a drawing of Garrett I've never seen before.

Thief Gold print ad with a drawing of Garrett I've never seen before.

Was thumbing through a pdf of an old Computer Gaming World magazine on my phone, as I am one to do because I'm a huge nostalgic nerd, and came across a print ad for Thief Gold that had a drawing of Garrett that I personally haven't seen before so, I figured I'd share it here. That and I just love old print ads.

Garrett looks rather spooked in this.

Spooked? I should say so. He's got two right hands, and a really unorthodox method of nocking an arrow!
    Cool find!

He looks more uncomfortable to me, like he just stepped in horse manure on his way to the job or something. Also, I like how one of those screenshots implies that people stack up a bunch of crates for the sole purpose of blowing them away with a fire arrow in case of pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    He looks more uncomfortable to me, like he just stepped in horse manure on his way to the job or something. Also, I like how one of those screenshots implies that people stack up a bunch of crates for the sole purpose of blowing them away with a fire arrow in case of pursuit.
    Quite a bit of the promotional stuff for Thief TPD/G did showed off the fire arrows quite extensively. Funny thinking back on it.

ZylonBane
    Hey, that was cutting-edge physics for the time.

At the risk of being unkind to the artist(s), my recollection is that the print artwork for Thief Gold generally seemed of a lower-quality than that used for TDP, and that none of the Garrett images looked right to me. I've no idea if it was the same artists. Potentially they were busy on T2 and someone else handled the adverts for TG. Or maybe these ones were rushed, or images which had been rejected previously and were re-used later.

I mean, compare the box covers:

* https://www.mobygames.com/images/cov...ront-cover.jpg
    * https://www.mobygames.com/images/cov...ront-cover.jpg

Looking at it now, that TG image of Garrett is conceivably a modification of the TDP image; yet while on the TDP cover his face looks like a face, on the TG cover it seems half way to becoming an amorphous blob. There's details, yet the character looks sloppy.