TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: An imagined exploit?

An imagined exploit?

I recently dived back into my old love, the Dark project Gold edition. In my memory, there was a trick where if you bunnyhopped correctly you built up momentum per jump, which eventually leads you to take damage when you collide into a wall or other static object. Unfortunately I haven't been able to recreate this trick. Is this a figment of my imagination? Is it something that was possible only in the dark project but not gold edition?

You have to move (run) forward and jump and time your next jump to coincide with Garrett's landing. You just have to find the correct rhythm.

I think it happened to me when I was playing one of the FMs with long paths (I think it could be Eternal Candle). I was jumping forward to cross long path and eventually my view leaned to the side. I ignored that and eventually Garrett got hurt. Maybe it has something to do with heart attack glitch. It happened to me once on Strange Bedfellows when I was leaning to the side to observe patrolling Ratmen and Garrett just died. Really scary feeling.

Yeah it's easily replicable over a sufficiently long distance

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Yeah it's easily replicable over a sufficiently long distance
    finally managed to replicate it. Weirdly it seems that carpet shifts the timing a little? Whatever glad I wasn't imagining it. thx all.

I don't know if this is true but I remember an explanation that the collision detection doesn't check for vertical speed to determine fall damage, but *total* speed. Meaning horizontal and vertical.

Just to add this. For practice there is an old mission called Koobez or something like that. It's pretty much terrible but does have some of the longest sight lines you'll ever encounter in a mission so it's perfect for practicing your bunny hop. I recall getting like five in a row once and it was like hitting a wall at 120mph.