TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No movies in Thief Gold - I've tried everything in FAQ and more

No movies in Thief Gold - I've tried everything in FAQ and more

I'm sure a lot of similar posts pop up here, much to the chagrin of you good folk. So I will keep it short.

Thief Gold (fresh install)

DDFix applied

Indeo installation methods attempted:
    -From disc
    -From FAQ (http://downloads.ttlg.com/download.aspx?id=2461)
    -"Alternate drivers" (http://downloads.ttlg.com/download.aspx?id=2362)

I copied ir50_32.dll from SysWOW64 into system32.

My personal 'RunGame.bat' is as follows:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe ir50_32.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe LGVID.AX
    start /affinity 1 Thief.exe

(Both .dll registrations report success. Without the SysWOW64 path, ir50_32.dll will complain about regsvr32 not being 64-bit and thus unable to register the dll. LGVID.AX, however, doesn't seem to mind either way.)

Thief.exe is not currently set to use any compatibility mode.

---

What happens:

The game loads, but does not play the intro. Clicking Intro in the menu flashes black momentarily, but does not play the movie. Starting a new game skips all movies and heads straight into the game, which seems to otherwise perform just fine.

I'm hoping there is something obvious, or perhaps even something incredibly obscure I may have missed, because I have been eager to introduce a friend to the Thief games, and a big part of their charm (for me, at least) are the beautifully rendered cutscenes!

Many thanks for your attention.

Edit: Additional since this post:
    -Tried restarting
    -Tried the Thief1Gold_MovieReplace (re-encoded movies) pack from here
    -Extracted iac25_32.ax and ir41_32.ax from Indeo setup files and manually registered them
    -Tried the advice from here

Further edit:
    Looks like I'm in the same boat as this guy, AKA we have both tried absolutely everything, including polluting our systems with the K-Lite codec pack, to no avail. I have no idea if K-Lite is even doing anything - I ran the tweaker tool, changed Indeo 5 to 'libavcodec' and added ThiefG.exe to the whitelist, but it made absolutely no difference.

The only vague clue I have now is Filmerit telling me there is a problem with "LG Video Renderer", but I have no idea how to fix that. Deleting it and re-registering LGVID.AX just produces the same result each time: "#Error S02 - No InprocServer32".

Is there nothing left? Nothing, short of dual-booting a dedicated Windows 95 partition?
    Last edited by Moogie; 18th Apr 2012 at 07:51. Reason: Additional steps I tried since posting

Behold, my worst attempt yet! I tried both Microsoft's own Virtual PC (XP Mode) and VMWare running Windows 98.

Whilst XP Mode failed immediately due to not emulating 3D accelerated graphics, VMWare actually got me ingame... BUT WITH NO. F***ING. MOVIES. LOL. Also, all the menus were messed up, the mouse didn't work ingame, and I couldn't change any settings.

Well, this has been a fun few days, where fun == insanity. But I'm about ready to give up. I'm now totally convinced that there is absolutely no way, not even through blood sacrifice, to get this game working.

I yield.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    I copied ir50_32.dll from SysWOW64 into system32.
    You shouldn't need to do this - it should be fine living in SysWOW64.

My personal 'RunGame.bat' is as follows:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe ir50_32.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe LGVID.AX
    start /affinity 1 Thief.exe
    There should be no need to register the codec and LGVID.AX files every time you start the game - and if you've got ddfix installed with a patched exe then AFAIK you shouldn't need to set the affinity every time (others are more knowledgeable on that than I am, however).

Rightly or wrongly, I have problems with videos if I don't run thief (or system shock 2 for that matter) in administrator mode. If you tick the "Run this program as an administrator" option on the compatibility tab for the thief.exe properties then it should automatically run in administrator mode each time you launch the game.

Thanks for your response. Everything you mentioned had already been tried, I was simply going down the list of EVERY suggestion I could find, on Google, on here, on the GoG forums, and anywhere else I could find.

My current attempts involve VMWare running WindowsXP. I have had marginal success- I can get the game running, and I can even get the movies to play! But the menu is a black screen. As are the movies. The game completely works, except it's become a simulation of how a blind person might try to play Thief.

The standard things have been tried:
    -DDFix
    -no DDFix
    -All compatibility modes
    -"safe_texture_manager" in user.cfg
    -Hardware mode 0
    -Hardware mode 1
    -"skip_starting_checks" in cam.cfg
    -"UseSystemMemOverlay=2" in ddfix.ini
    -"UseSystemMemOverlay=1" in ddfix.ini
    -"UseSystemMemOverlay=0" in ddfix.ini
    -Disabling 3d hardware rendering in vm options (just makes the game crash at startup)

I'm working my way through Google, but I think this is already an exhaustive list.

I stand by my earlier conclusion. I won't ever get this working, but I do want to try everything first.

Administrator
    it's become a simulation of how a blind person might try to play Thief.
    Ah, you've unlocked "Thief Extreme Pro Mode" - best to avoid it for a first run .

Thanks for your response. Everything you mentioned had already been tried, I was simply going down the list of EVERY suggestion I could find, on Google, on here, on the GoG forums, and anywhere else I could find.
    I can understand your frustration, but I think you're overcomplicating things by trying to get it working in a virtual machine. Thief Gold definitely works in 64 bit Windows 7 bit natively and it might be best to take a step back:
    • Install a fresh copy of Thief Gold into a new directory (personally, I like to keep the path simple - e.g. c:\games\thiefg)
    • Delete the ir50_32.dll from your c:\windows\system32 directory - it shouldn't be there as it's not a 64 bit DLL
    • Grab the TGfix pack that voodoo47 put together and extract its contents into your Thief directory (use 7-Zip if you haven't already got it)
    • Run the movecrf.bat batch file and edit the cam.cfg for your screen resolution
    • Run a command prompt in administrator mode and run "regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW4\ir50_32.dll" followed by "regsvr32 c:\games\thiefg\lgvid.ax" (adapt the path to the game as necessary).
    • Right click on the thief executable and run in administrator mode

If that works, you can tick the "run as administrator" option in the compatibility settings so you don't have to do the last step every time.
    Last edited by Al_B; 19th Apr 2012 at 09:03.

The VM solution was a last resort simply because nothing else worked. I'll try following those exact steps, though.

For now, I'm as close as I've ever been to getting things working. All the aforementioned problems are gone, and now the game just suffers from white squares in place of some textures (most notably, in the sky). But with the menus visible and movies working, it's in a totally playable state for the first time.

That's all safe on my VM though; it won't stop me trying again on my actual system.

I appreciate your support.

EDIT: Okay, exact steps followed, and the results are the same as every other time I've installed on Win7- everything's fine, but movies don't play. Filmerit reports that LG Video Renderer has "No InprocServer32". It reports no errors from the Indeo codecs themselves.

From what I can tell, nobody has ever posted a solution to that. One person reported it before, and indicated that he fixed it (but didn't post how), but said that it didn't fix the movies anyway.
    Last edited by Moogie; 19th Apr 2012 at 10:31.

I've gone back to the VM solution, as I don't expect any further leads in getting it to work natively on Win7.

So my final setup is this:

-VMWare Player, running Windows XP
    -Thief Gold installed with the 'tgfix' package
    -NOT using DDFix (black screen menus otherwise)

Resolution locked at 640x480 to prevent res switching during cutscenes

A program called Desktop Lighter, because the gamma slider doesn't work and the game is too dark otherwise (still is, but I can live with this)

Another program called Virtual Magnifying Glass, because 640x480 is a very tiny window indeed.

Using all this, I have the game running with sound, with hardware mode, perfect speed, and with movies.

It'll do.

Administrator
    Filmerit reports that LG Video Renderer has "No InprocServer32". It reports no errors from the Indeo codecs themselves.
    I know you're happy with your VM solution, but I was interested in doing some more tests. From what I can tell, this is perfectly normal behaviour. It would appear that the Thief executable registers the lgvid.ax file itself when it runs and de-registers it after it exits. If you alt-tab out of Thief while it's running and do a check with Filmerit you'll probably find that it passes with no errors. Exit Thief, and it will probably show a missing inproc server again.

You can even delete the LG Video Renderer filter from Filmerit, and when you next run Thief it will install it again along with its associated server. This probably means that you never need to run "regsvr32 lgvid.ax" manually although I've not tried this on a fresh install of Windows 7.

If you've still got your Windows 7 installed Thief, it would be interesting if you could run it to the menu screen, alt-tab to Filmerit and run a check then. If it's still reporting an error then that could point to an issue with restrictions on your PC / account that is stopping Thief from being able to register the server correctly.

To be honest, I couldn't help but investigate further, too. x)

We're thinking along the same lines. I discovered that lgvid.ax was getting unregistered whenever Thief triggered a movie to play.

I tested the following scenario:

1. Register the file and check with Filmerit that there are no errors in LG Video Renderer. (OK)
    2. Load the game.
    3. Alt-tab and check Filmerit again. No errors yet.
    4. Alt-tab back to Thief, and click the 'Intro' button. (Video does not play, as expected)
    5. Alt-tab back to Filmerit and check for errors... LG Video Renderer now has an error ("No InprocServer32", AKA it has been unregistered)
    6. Register the file again
    7. Repeat 4. and 5.

So I narrowed the issue down to this: LGVID.AX gets unregistered whenever Thief tries to play a movie.

But why? I have no idea. I dug further into the problem using GSpot Codec Detector. When I loaded one of Thief's movies (Intro.avi) and ran the 'Proposed codec solutions and tests', This is what it had to say:

Partial Render Failure: Following is the error reported by DirectShow:
    0x00040242 (unknown)
    More specifically, the audio could be rendered, but the video could not:
    (Src)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

If I test the video seperately (button 2, "internally connect the series of filters"), these are the errors reported:

(Src)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter ]>--(B)-->[Indeo video 5.10 Decompression Filter ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x05dff364 ("Src Media") on INTRO.AVI to input pin 0x05afee2c ("input pin") on filter 0x03e3e2f4 ("AVI Splitter").ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x8004022a: [unknown]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter ]>--(B)-->[VFW:Indeo video 5.10 ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x05df944c ("Src Media") on INTRO.AVI to input pin 0x05afeed4 ("input pin") on filter 0x03e3e2f4 ("AVI Splitter").ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x8004022a: [unknown]

That's as far as I've gotten. No idea how to solve those errors, as Google has very little info about them.

I should note that I did briefly try having K-Lite installed, but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I have no idea if it was working (it didn't fix the videos), or if I'd picked the correct options during installation/setup. So it's possible this still might be a solution, if I could figure it out.
    Last edited by Moogie; 20th Apr 2012 at 06:44.

Administrator
    Sounds like it's having problems building the graph for the video file on your system. If you hover over the elements in your GSpot window it should pop-up with a bit more info. For example:

Src = <path to>intro.avi
    >--(A)--> = MEDIASUBTYPE_Avi
    [AVI Splitter] = quartz.dll
    >--(B)--> = IV50
    etc.

It sounds like something has affected your AVI splitter from the error message. Are you able to play the media file from outside of Thief (e.g. in Windows Media Player)?

Edit: There should be no harm in making sure that quartz.dll is registered (i.e. regsvr32 "c:\windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll")
    Last edited by Al_B; 20th Apr 2012 at 06:58.

WMP doesn't play the video, but does play the audio. VLC plays both.

Here's the element info:

(first path)
    Src = c:\games\ThiefG\movies\intro.avi
    [Avi Splitter] = quartz.dll
    >--(B)--> = 4cc IV50
    Indeo video 5.10 Decompression Filter = ir50_32.dll
    >--(C)--> = {*}
    [Video Renderer] = quartz.dll

(second path)
    Src = c:\games\ThiefG\movies\intro.avi
    [Avi Splitter] = quartz.dll
    >--(B)--> = 4cc IV50
    VFW:Indeo video 5.10 = quartz.dll --> ir50_32.dll
    >--(C)--> = {*}
    [Video Renderer] = quartz.dll

P.S. Thanks for helping! It's good to have someone to bounce all this info to.

Administrator
    No problem - I hate not knowing what's causing problems like this. All those elements look exactly as the same here.

Can you try InstalledCodec and check whether the AVI splitter is correctly enabled? On mine the main details are:

Display Name; AVI Splitter
    Type: DirectShow Filter
    Disabled: No
    Description: DirectShow Runtime.
    File Version: 6.6.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Company: Microsoft Corporation
    Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Size: 1,328,640
    Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll
    CLSID: {1B544C20-FD0B-11CE-8C63-00AA0044B51E}
    Filter Merit: 0x00600000

Another obvious question I should have asked - which anti-virus software are you using and have you tried temporarily disabling it while rendering the file?

Microsoft Security Essentials. Disabled real-time protection and tried the render in GSpot, no luck.

Our Splitter infos are exact, except for one tiny detail: You listed the filesize as 1,328,640. It reports mine as being 1,328,128. But everything else, including the file version and CLSID are the same.

Administrator
    Are you sure your file version isn't 6.6.7601 rather than 6.6.7600?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Are you sure your file version isn't 6.6.7601 rather than 6.6.7600?
    Direct copypaste from program:

AVI Splitter DirectShow Filter No 14/07/2009 05:53:38 DirectShow Runtime. 6.6.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 1,328,128 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll {1B544C20-FD0B-11CE-8C63-00AA0044B51E} 0x00600000 quartz.dll 24/01/2012 02:03:05 26/10/2011 05:32:11

Edit: I was attempting to delete quartz.dll in Safe Mode to replace it with a copy I grabbed off the net. While Windows still wouldn't let me delete it, I happened to hover over the file long enough to see the tooltip appear, and it said that the file in my syswow64 folder IS, in fact, version 7601. Not 7600 as the codec inspection software was reporting. So... what's the next step from here? Should I attempt to downgrade, and if so - given my failed attempts in Safe Mode - how should I go about doing that?
    Last edited by Moogie; 20th Apr 2012 at 09:42.

Administrator
    I don't think downgrading should be necessary - I'm troubleshooting a failed update on my machine and will check again later.

I would be inclined to try graphedit - it's available through the Windows SDK but if you don't fancy installing it I've tried the version from here and it appears to be genuine. If you run the non-64 bit version you should be able to open the avi file and check that it can build a graph for it. If not, you can manually add the AVI splitter under the directshow components and see if you can wire it up manually.

I'm really grateful for your continued help. Just wanted to let you know that. This is proving to be a very interesting exploration of a system I knew virtually nothing about prior to these last few days - codecs have always been a mystery to me, but I'm slowly learning all about them. And even though this is a troubleshooting process, I'm actually kinda having fun with it, hehe.

So, I grabbed GraphEdit and did what I think I should be doing, but...

(Note: I had to manually add the AVI Splitter. Only the Audio one exists when the file is initially loaded.)

I also tried deleting the connection to the DirectsSound Device and just having video connected to the Avi Splitter, but the error remained the same.

Administrator
    I'm by no means an expert in codecs but I have encountered a few problems over the years.

It looks like you're using graphedit correctly - perhaps you could try the same with an AVI file you know works and / or try graphedit in your virtual machine with the same thief videos?

I'm not sure I can play any avi files... I don't have many on my harddrive right now.

I found one that looks to be from some default OS thing... I guess my pen tablet software installed it, based on the name and thumbnail image. (Path: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-t..flicklearningwizard_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_69769fd78b751ad3)

Rendering it in GraphEdit produces the following error:

Could not construct a graph from this file.

- Have you installed all necessary filters?
    - Note that the 'Render File' menu option cannot render *.GRF files.

This pin cannot use the supplied media type. (Return code: 0x8004022a)

Attempting to play the file in WMP results in WMP "encountering a problem opening the file", but doesn't give specifics.

VLC plays the file, but it looks all messed up and very very... blue.

---

On the VM side of things, I tried opening one of the Thief movies (Intro.avi again). It successfully built a graph, as follows:

http://i.imgur.com/Tlm0o.png

What I immediately notice is how the AVI Splitter 'box' (or whatever it is) has "Stream 00" and "Stream 01" output pins, whereas on my Win7 system, the filter appears to only have a single Input pin and no Output pins at all.

Edit: Time for bed, but I'll pick this back up tomorrow. Seems like we're getting closer to a solution... I imagine the problem to be figuring out how to replicate the exact filter/codec settings the WinXP environment has on its Win7 host. Something tells me it won't be that simple, though.
    Last edited by Moogie; 20th Apr 2012 at 13:50. Reason: going to sleep

Indeo installation methods attempted:
    -From disc
    -From FAQ (http://downloads.ttlg.com/download.aspx?id=2461)
    -"Alternate drivers" (http://downloads.ttlg.com/download.aspx?id=2362)
    First thing crept into my noggin after I read this — have you tried registering the original ir50_32.dll before installing any codecs? It was the only thing I had to do on my Win7 machine to get them working. The version of ir50_32.dll I have now is:
    Date 14.07.2009 ‎ ‏‎05:15:34
    MD5 a60801c2a6ff5777399d82072fe97f62

Administrator
    OK, if you're not able to play other media files then it does possibly point to a lower level problem. I know they're listed as "for Ubuntu" but try the avi and wmv files from here. The AVI doesn't use the Indeo codec and the WMV file should graph and use MPEG decompressors without the AVI splitter.

What I immediately notice is how the AVI Splitter 'box' (or whatever it is) has "Stream 00" and "Stream 01" output pins, whereas on my Win7 system, the filter appears to only have a single Input pin and no Output pins at all.
    That's fine - the AVI splitter doesn't show its output pins until it has a valid input linked to it (presumably it doesn't know how many outputs it needs until then). If you try it with the AVI file from the link above it will only have one output as there is no audio. The AVIs from Thief will have one output for video and one for audio.

Edit: Time for bed, but I'll pick this back up tomorrow. Seems like we're getting closer to a solution... I imagine the problem to be figuring out how to replicate the exact filter/codec settings the WinXP environment has on its Win7 host. Something tells me it won't be that simple, though.
    If it ends up being codecs then a possible solution might be to install ffdshow tryouts which has Indeo 5 support. However, I don't like installing codecs for the sake of it and so far the results you're getting suggest that the problem is occurring at a stage before the codec is encountered in the graph.

It's a brand new day~

Morning chaps! Thanks for the test files. The WMV renders successfully. The AVI gives the same error as the others I've tried:

Could not construct a graph from this file.

- Have you installed all necessary filters?
    - Note that the 'Render File' menu option cannot render *.GRF files.

This pin cannot use the supplied media type. (Return code: 0x8004022a)

You know, I do find this odd. This computer is fairly new, only a few months since it was built. And I don't watch local movie files often, but I didn't notice a problem with AVI files before.

Part of me is wondering if my tinkering with quartz.dll yesterday might've broke all AVI playback. I messed with permissions and ownership and eventually managed to overwrite it. After that didn't solve anything, I wrote the original file back, gave back its TrustedInstaller permissions, and re-registered it just to be super-safe. But then, that wouldn't explain why Thief (and Thief 2, which I also have installed) were never able to play theirs, before or after all this.

It's probably a red herring, but it's worth mentioning that stuff happened, since I had not tested any other AVI files before this thread. I don't know if they have ever worked on this machine.

E: Currently running sfc /scannow to verify.
    E2: Scan complete, no problems found.

E3: Google lead me here. Following the "Fresh start" instructions, I installed Zoom Player, unregistered ALL the things!, and then followed the steps to re-register system codecs. For good measure, I ran iv5setup too. This solved nothing except to bring my reported list of filters down to 163, from ~199.

E4: At this point I'd like to simply nuke this problem. What is the be-all-end-all solution to a problem like this? Reinstalling Windows can't be the only way...
    Last edited by Moogie; 21st Apr 2012 at 06:09.

Administrator
    The AVI gives the same error as the others I've tried:
    Could not construct a graph from this file...
    That pretty much confirms that your current problem is to do with the AVI subsystem and not directly related to Thief. As you say, it doesn't rule out there being another problem previously, but this needs to be sorted before worrying about the Indeo codecs.

Part of me is wondering if my tinkering with quartz.dll yesterday might've broke all AVI playback. I messed with permissions and ownership and eventually managed to overwrite it. After that didn't solve anything, I wrote the original file back, gave back its TrustedInstaller permissions, and re-registered it just to be super-safe.
    I suspect there's possibly an issue there. To play it safe, it might be easiest to uninstall and re-install the latest Windows update that included a new version of Quartz.dll. Go to the control panel, programs and features and then click "View installed updates" on the left. Find the update listed as KB2631813 and remove it. (I personally find adding the "Help Link" column by right-clicking on the header and selecting "More..." and sorting on that column helps to locate specific patches). Then run Windows update and hopefully it should allow you to re-install that update.

Uninstalled, rebooted. Installed, rebooted.

No change. I was getting a little hopeful there, for a sec! x)

E: I noticed, comparing the XP and 7 results of GraphEdit, that the AVI file in Windows XP has a single output, whereas the AVI in Win7 has seperate vid/aud outputs. AVI Splitter is expecting a single input, with which to 'split' into the seperate streams, yes? So, then... why is the Win7 AVI file providing two seperate streams from the get-go?
    Last edited by Moogie; 21st Apr 2012 at 08:01.

Administrator
    I noticed, comparing the XP and 7 results of GraphEdit, that the AVI file in Windows XP has a single output, whereas the AVI in Win7 has seperate vid/aud outputs.
    Definitely something strange with your Windows 7 setup. That AVI only has video with no audio so the "splitter" in this case should just have one input and one output.

I'm afraid I'm a bit down to clutching at straws now. I'd be tempted to do a scan with the free Malwarebytes just in case something has injected itself into your AVI sub-system. More drastic solutions would be to do an in-place recovery or in-place re-install of Windows 7, but I'd like to know what's actually gone wrong before going down that path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast