TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin Tires

Level 10,000 achieved
    Screenshots:

4 hours in, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Playing on Plains, which seems to be the most beginner friendly map, and Casual difficulty. Uncovered the whole map, found all the vehicles in it, unlocked the extra garage, and delivered my first load of lumber. I can see that doing all this on Hardcore, without the get-out-of-jail-free card of vehicle recovery is not going to be easy.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, it's finally happening.

I'm becoming one of those guys. People, I'm making a Let's Play. I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Here's part 1:

I'm absolutely not into cars or anything, but this game looks interesting. Do you play with the keyboard or with some steering wheel? Also, is there a tutorial or practice map in it? I know nothing about offroad driving.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It works surprisingly well with a 360 gamepad, but I play with mouse+keyboard, that's what it feels like it's been primarily designed for. The mouse makes it a lot easier to look around, and to shift gears and use the on-screen controls.

Not really any tutorial or practice map. What I said earlier about the similarity to Dark Souls wasn't a joke. The game drops you into this world and you just have to explore and experiment to see what works, or even see what you're supposed to do.

I'm trying to make these videos informative though, I'll be going through the process of completing the level, step by step.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm going to interpret the silence in this thread as everyone just waiting with bated breath for the next episode, so here goes!

This looks fun. I'm adding it to my list of games to eventually get around to playing.

verbose douchebag
    Really enjoyed watching those. Not sure it's a game I'd have the patience for, but I like to think I'd give it a try.

Taking the Death Toll

:U~~~~
    Last edited by Briareos H; 18th Jun 2014 at 12:14.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ep3! Wherein I drive a really big truck over trees and through a lake, in the name of progress.

(just put the finishing touches on the final part, uploading that one tomorrow, and let me assure you, the ending is pretty damn epic.)

Southquarter.com/fms
    Henke, that really doesn't sound like you. At all.

Still Subjective
    I don't which is better - the fact that this game exists or henke's chronicle.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Henke, that really doesn't sound like you. At all.
    I know right? I was surprised too when I first started recording. Is that what I sound like?

Moderator and Priest
    That happens to everyone. Like I think my voice sounds a lot higher pitched when I hear a recording of myself, and I don't like it. Sounds goofy to me.

Level 10,000 achieved

Final episode is up!

Or watch the entire Henke Truckin Along The Coast Saga right here in this playlist.

Especially happy with how this last episode turned out. Kinda feel like I found my voice, when it came to narrating videogame videos. Even though there's barely any narration in it. Anyway, man, it's been surprisingly much work getting this done. Playing, recording, picking out the good stuff, planning, recording voice over, editing, re-recording voice over, putting on the finishing touches, encoding and uploading. It's been fun, but I don't think I'll be making another one of these in a hurry.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Allegedly the developer Pavel has stopped work on Spintires because publisher Oove haven't been paying him. That sucks if true.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/263280...9820654579168/

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh Christ, that is upsetting. There's been some internal troubles at Oovee recently, but this is worse than I had suspected. They'd been making noise since summer about a new update that was going to add mod support and all kinds of stuff. After several delays it finally got released in October and was a whole lot less than had been promised. When pressed about it on the Oovee forums, the Community Manager guy excused himself by saying he doesn't have good communication with the guys actually doing the work. They got a lot of flack for that. Right afterwards things seemed to turn around. The open beta branch was opened, letting players try out things being worked on, and there was a whole lot more transparency about what was in development. Things were looking good, but now this. The Oovee guys says this issue has been worked out with Pavel, but it's hard to take their word for anything any more.

Hope at least mod support gets implemented and released before the whole thing goes down in flames. The community has been making a lot of content for the earlier versions of Spintires and I've no doubt they will be able to take it from here, if given the chance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, supposedly Pavel is back and progress is being made on SpinTires. "Two steps forward, one step back" kind of progress, but progress nonetheless! Over Christmas a new map "The Pit" was released, but in a totally bugged, nearly-unplayable state. Then after the new year the game started crashing for everyone after a few minutes, but only on uneven days. Some kinda Y2K15 bug. A few days later that bug was fixed and the issues with The Pit were resolved. Then today, they release anoter new map, The Flood, along with a few other updates. Unfortunately this update breaks The Pit map, so if you wanna play that one you'll need to set the version to Legacy under the Beta properties in Steam, and download the Pit map from here.

Glad to finally have some new maps and new features like Diff Lock damage and new trailers being implemented. Kinda wish every update didn't break a bunch of stuff from old versions and usually delete all the saves as well. But in a way I guess it's kinda poetic that progress on Spintires would be as difficult and problematic as making progress IN the game is.

Now, as for the new maps.

The Pit

This map reuses a fair few pieces of geometry from older maps, but it nonetheless brings a whole lot of fun new challenges. The titular pit itself is a great piece of landscape which looks great and is dangerous to decend into. This map is apparently made by a third party, 1MGN.pro in collaboration with Oovee, and as such not included in the base game, but has to be downloaded separately.

The Flood

I love the concept of this one. Unlike other maps, this one does not start you with a garage, but only a truck with a Garage Unlock trailer and a waypoint for the locked garage on the far side of the map. The only problem? The area between you and the garage is flooded. You'll need to navigate through the flooded area to unlock the garage and get on with the business of hauling lumber to the objective. This map also has something that only one of the previous maps have had: manual lumber load points!

I love the crane but there's barely any need for it in any of the other maps, so I'm psyched to see it coming into play here.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh that's just great, Spintires is in the latest Humble Bundle. Now it'll be flooded with FLITHY CASUALS. I can see it already, I'll be trying to deliver lumber with my C-255, but the path to the lumberyard will be blocked by some DUMB CASUAL IN A B-130! UGHHHHHH

Level 10,000 achieved

Keep on TRUCKING in the NEW YEEEEEEEAR

The latest updates brings Steam Workshop support so you can now easily import vehicles made by other users! No custom map support yet tho, officially at least. There are ways to get custom maps going, but I'm holding out for official support. Anyway, I took a few of the custom vehicles for spin and made a video.

Are you playing this with K&M or a controller? I'm using an F730 but it doesn't detect it for some reason.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Both. Mouse is needed for things like attaching winches, and honestly M+KB works fine for most of the driving. But sometimes, in rough spots, you'll want the greater control of acceleration that a gamepad can give. I'm using a XBox 360 pad.

That's fascinating.

It's like those Entourage episodes where the artistic director is in constant battle with the business machine, they're at each others' throats, but somehow something great gets made out of it, as long as it's not damned to development hell.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Welp, it's January. Time for me to get into Spintires again I guess! (didn't realize I was this regular about my Spintires playing until I checked the dates on my previous posts)

It's one of those sims, like Elite Dangerous or Euro Truck Sim 2, that I get really into once or twice per year, play intensely for a few days and then forget about again. This past week I've been spinnin' wheels a plenty! Been downloading new vehicles from the Steam workshop, and though there's no workshop support for maps yet the game does support usermade maps, and I finally got around to trying a few out. Mainly I've been playing West Fork River, which is a huge map of similar quality to the official maps.

Let's ogle some of these sweet community-made rides!

A beautiful ride. In fact, too beautiful for these driving conditions.

Guess how far I made it in this thing. Spoiler alert: not far.

This is more like it! This is a Datsun Truggy. It is badass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast