TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Game Music TRACKS (blast from the past?)

Chakat sex pillow
    In the category of 'games I have not played yet but listen to the music of anyway', Mages of Mystralia has an OST that's chock-full of melody-forward orchestral tuneage, if that floats your boat. I assume the track called 'The Wildlands' is played in the area of the same name, and it's surprisingly heartwarming for an overworld track.

Timesig since the video linking here doesn't respect time tags.

Every studio should have a house band:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok ok, here's my...

Fave videogame music of 2018 (so far)

Lena Raine's Celeste soundtrack is a wonderful thing that reminds me a lot like Disasterpeace's Fez soundtrack.

How many times have I posted this video now? Not many enough! It is what sold me on the game after all. Jaroslav Beck's Beat Saber tunes are all bangers.

Make it to the end of Sprint Vector's "Toxic Barrage" level and you'll get to kick back with this chill number by Spencer Kitagawa. Sludgewaaaaaaaave!

But this is still my favourite videogame soundtrack of the year. Dan Romer's "Into The Flames" album of creepy Americana cult songs for Far Cry 5 is full of great tunes we can all sing along to as we ride into the apocalypse.

I'm all about the atmospheric jams. All of Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill soundtracks, but especially 2-4. Alex Brandon's Deus Ex soundtrack, though the new ones highlight the world very well too even if they're less memorable.

It was also cool hearing Tony Levin in Starcraft 2's Terran band...

Minor correction: Unreal Tournament's Foregone Destruction and the UNATCO theme from Deus Ex were composed by Michiel van den Bos, not Alexander Brandon.

Wait, really? Blew my mind here. Guess I've had it tagged wrong for more than a decade!

Thing What Kicks
    On a related note, I believe I posted The Wastelands from The Last Ninja earlier in this thread.
    Sadly, the composer, Ben Daglish, died from lung cancer complications last week. So in memoriam, here it is again with another tune from The Last Ninja which is also fab:

The Wastelands:

The Wilderness:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Danny Baranowsky's work on Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is great despite the terrible puns.
    Tombtorial
    Watch Your Step
    Crypteque

Also, I played Alan Wake for the first time a couple of months ago, and loved the licensed soundtrack as well as the score. If not for it, I'd not have discovered Poets of the Fall, whose material appears a few times in the game, also under the name of Old Gods of Asgard. I flat out stopped exploring to listen to War on a radio, and this song appears during a particularly awesome sequence that I won't spoil for those of you who haven't played.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    On a related note, I believe I posted The Wastelands from The Last Ninja earlier in this thread.
    Sadly, the composer, Ben Daglish, died from lung cancer complications last week. So in memoriam, here it is again with another tune from The Last Ninja which is also fab: ...
    I have fond memories of The Last Ninja's music; I remember recording some of the tunes on tape when I made a collection of great C64 tunes as a kid. In general, while a lot of C64 graphics that I thought were good simply look like shit these days (the horrible 2x1 pixels you got when using multiple colours, unless you were good and knew the right tricks, haven't aged well at all), the good chip tunes absolutely hold up, because their composers made the limitations work.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Danny Baranowsky's work on Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is great despite the terrible puns.
    Tombtorial
    Watch Your Step
    Crypteque

Also, I played Alan Wake for the first time a couple of months ago, and loved the licensed soundtrack as well as the score. If not for it, I'd not have discovered Poets of the Fall, whose material appears a few times in the game, also under the name of Old Gods of Asgard. I flat out stopped exploring to listen to War on a radio, and this song appears during a particularly awesome sequence that I won't spoil for those of you who haven't played.
    It's funny you should mention Alan Wake and how it introduced you to Poets of the Fall. I had the same experience when I picked up Alan Wake on Steam a few years ago. I was so thankful they released it on PC, as I have never owned an xbox console. I too loved the soundtrack and enjoyed the Old Gods of Asgard. I think it was pretty neat that the band collaborated so heavily with the Alan Wake development team on this project.

Several times after playing that game I wanted to go back and listen to the tracks, particularly War; and what was the other one of note? I forget the title now. There was also a rather cleverly written lyrical tune that is also very much tied to the storyline of the game. I think it was call The Poet and His Muse, or something like that. Really was a great soundtrack.

Fun fact: Poets of the Fall also did a rather great track, in my opinion, for Max Payne 2.. it's the credits song I believe, titled "Late Goodbye."

Also, McTaffer, I recommend checking out Alan Wake's American Nightmare as well, if you haven't already. It's the closest thing we'll probably get to an Alan Wake 2, or at least help ease the pain of waiting for another Alan Wake. It's not as long as Alan Wake and may not be "as good" but I still enjoyed it. It even has a cool little wave-based minigame, similar to stuff like Killing Floor.

I never tried that wave based thing but yeah, I played American Nightmare. I liked the little time loop thing they had going on despite that being one of the main criticisms some people had. Short, but still fun. The song you're thinking of is "The Poet and the Muse", and that one's pretty great too. I played it on PC, but was extremely lucky and also found an insanely cheap sealed collector's edition for the 360 at a charity sale, so I even own that song from the short soundtrack disc that was included.

As far as I'm concerned, American Nightmare is better in almost any way... more open world, a better flashlight, more weapon and enemy variety, and a more coherent story. Plus there's Mr Scratch.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    This one (brings back so many memories) along with Hell March from the original Red Alert are two of my favourite game musics ever.

[Edit]: Also this, from the new Unreal Tournament game (which seems to have been put indefinitely on ice by Epic due to the ridiculous Fortnite success):

Last edited by D'Arcy; 20th Oct 2018 at 10:09.

Rob Hubbard man, he was my god back in the C64 days

Chakat sex pillow
    RE: JM's assertion that every dev needs to have a house band, I recently discovered Armored Core's music (there's not a single mention of the series in this thread at all? what?), and it turns out that the music director for the series has an in-house band at From Software called FreQuency.

Anyway, video game music! It's so good!

FreQuency's arranged version of ^ is absolute love as well.

Did anyone mention Jet Set Radio yet?

Chakat sex pillow
    Actually, yes, all the way back in 2012 when this thread was young. Nostalgia!

And as Bakerman (RIP?) noted, JSF had some good shit too.

Space Channel 5?

Chakat sex pillow
    Space Channel 5 was also musical brilliance. I doubt anyone here would actually disagree; Sega's consoles had a very specific musical pedigree.

Thing What Kicks
    The N64 had some classics, with F-Zero X and Diddy Kong Racing being particular standouts:

Diddy Kong Racing - Crescent Island

And I can't find individual links to F-Zero X tracks, but they're all great anyway, so here's the full OST:

Warning: as the top comment says, do not listen to this whilst driving an actual motor vehicle.

Chakat sex pillow
    Below, the new game from the folks who delivered the incredibly ambiguous* Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery many mobile hardware revisions ago, released recently. It's an interesting beast in that its chief idea is that it does not explain any of its chief ideas; you need to poke around its Zelda-Souls lineage and explore the mechanics all on your own. There's nothing particularly new to these things, but its combination of the familiar with a dark, moody art style that trades in hard angles and swirling mist, a slow and deliberate pace, and a soundtrack that surges and recedes like a tide in and out of your awareness - all of this builds into something stark yet inviting.

But hang on, I'm not reviewing the game. People will probably recall that Superbrothers' best part was its music (composed by Jim Guthrie, who's made some lovely songs outside of composing for games). Below's music reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter and John Carpenter's 80s synth-led progressions, though altogether darker and (again) deliberate in how it portions out negative space across its melodies and harmonies.

Basically, that's a lot of words to say that the music's pretty good. I'd link a track or two, but it's a game that's literally less than a day old. So, here's the complete soundtrack instead.

The track at 3:59 is what plays when you're sitting at a campfire and attempting to perhaps combine some blood moss with some sludge you found in your inventory. It is quite lovely.

*so ambiguous that I do not remember anything at all about it beyond a chunky pixel-fed aesthetic. I think I saved the world? Or did the world save me? Something was saved, at any rate; though not my memory of it.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 15th Dec 2018 at 08:16.

I liked Superbrothers: S&S, though a large part of that was the absolutely fantastic soundtrack by the very same Jim Guthrie. I've bought the Below soundtrack but haven't yet listened to it; however, the Hyper Light Drifter and John Carpenter comparison makes me very eager to do so before long.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I've been playing Below too, it was weird how in some circles it's been highly anticipated, but then it released yesterday without almost zero fanfare. Anyway, the music is great, super moody, atmospheric and soothing at the same time. Even the small stuff is good like the hum/drone that plays once you get hungry/thirsty, it definitely gets your attention and gets you to prioritize what you're doing. Ah the power of good sound. I suck at the game so far, still trying to figure it all out, but at least the surroundings are a treat in the meantime.

Wow, that Below soundtrack is excellent! Listened to it in its entirety and will probably fire it up again soon.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast