TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: CDP RED making a Cyberpunk game apparently

Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Cyberpunk 2077 is also just some uncyberpunk junk in general. The cyberpunk genre has so devolved that it's become almost wholly style-over-substance and no longer even resembles the messages and cultural impetus behind early cyberpunk media; now we're at the point where Cyberpunk 2077 does things like giving you "street cred" for helping cops and making reference to racist right-wing memes. Fully expect someone to find a "41%" reference in there as well.
    I feel like the writing's been on the wall for the genre for a long time; the 'punk' themes don't survive the translation to mass-market corporate-funded product, and all that's left is an aesthetic. The closest it gets to social commentary is generic junk like Elysium or the Total Recall remake cashing in on the most surface-level takes. In print media at least authors have more creative control, but it's still a crapshoot whether you're going to get an author using the genre for critique or 'wow, cool cybernetics'.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played a game that really 'got' cyberpunk in the last ten years. But I haven't played the Shadowrun games, maybe those are decent.

The elephant in the room, as far as I'm concerned, is that Cyberpunk 2020 is a lame basis for interesting cyberpunk. I love many works in the genre, which I think can be told amazingly well even with a right-wing slant (e.g. GITS) or even with all the globalist orientalism with only lighthearted critique (e.g. Cloudpunk). But CP2020? Last time I wanted to run a game I ended up rewriting the whole thing from scratch because the setting was so superficial and gamified for the sake of looking cool.

Seems that people unhappy with the game have harassed its design lead into taking a hiatus from social media.

https://twitter.com/ZawAndy/status/1337908146229153792
    Need to turn off Twitter for a couple of days. There are some lines you simply don't cross.

Take care folks and be good to each other.

Why are gamers some of the most despicable people on the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    What does this have to do with.. anything?
    Low quality control.

The saga continues....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/15/...y-ps4-xbox-one

I do wonder what they expected to happen after hiding unplayable ports and then releasing them anyway. The logic that goes into this is quite puzzling to me, especially given that they're not beholden to a big publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post

The saga continues....

Dear gamers,

First of all, we would like to make all your eyes bleed by having this statement in an image with a bright yellow background, so that you wouldn't be able to even copypaste it into a more readable environment, because that is how much we care about user experience.

Toodle pip!

...is what I assume this statement says, because there's no way I'm reading that mess.

Turns out the whole thing is super easy to explain. Barely an inconvenience...

Last edited by Starker; 16th Dec 2020 at 03:46.

Sony Removes Cyberpunk 2077 from PS Store, Will Offer Refunds to PlayStation Players Who Already Bought It

Sony Interactive Entertainment has confirmed it will give players of Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 (or on PS5 via backward compatibility) refunds for purchasing the game. But the platform holder is taking things a step further and actually removing Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store for digital purchase "until further notice."

In a newly posted refund-related page, SIE confirmed its intentions to offer full refunds to all players who purchased Cyberpunk via the PS Store, while also committing to delisting the game for the time being. The company's full statement reads:

Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds

SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store. SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund. Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

Still Subjective
    Aaaanyway.

What a massive mess up this is turning out to be for CD Projekt.

On the Crate & Crowbar they said that this was one of the best selling games of recent times, or something. I never played the Witcher 3 (I have 1 but got bored in the first hour) but I understand that had bugs on release too, so it seems par for the course almost.

That refund issue though Vae, wow. Has Sony ever done that before? How fo CD Projekt come back from that? And how will it affect the PS5 and XBox Next Version versions?

Wow. Is the PS4 version really that broken then? This must be a huge blow for CD Projekt, which is a shame because I like what they're doing, but I suppose that they deserve all this.

LittleFlower
    Sony revoking CP77 from their shop has made the national news here. Amazing. Why would the nation care about this? I guess there isn't much real news, because of corona, and with xmas around the corner.

verbose douchebag
    Seems pretty big in terms of gaming news.
    Can anyone name another AAA title which was pulled from a distribution network on the grounds of quality?
    Especially one as hyped as this one.
    ESPECIALLY given their "release date - when it's done" ethos.

Arkham Knight was pulled from steam for a while. That's the only one I can think of.

Administrator
    I really don't appreciate having to hose down this thread after an extremely busy week. Anyone wanting to discuss the nuances not related to the game itself head over here but I wouldn't recommend it. Any resumption of those topics here will result in bans - keep discussion at least moderately related to games, thanks.

"When it's done"

id Software used to say that when they were independent, and even then it wasn't entirely true. These days, all it means is "we're not ready to commit to a firm release date at this time."

As people have pointed out, Witcher 3 was a buggy mess at release. However, it had a lot less hype and anticipation. Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the biggest and most anticipated release of 2020, so a failure out of the gate like this is definitely newsworthy. Sometimes I get tired of whinging gamers, but in this case I'm glad people are holding them to a reasonable quality standard.

Thanks for cleaning this up, Al_B.

-

I don't see why a big game release getting pulled shouldn't be news?
    No news network only covers really serious issues - after all, almost every channel has a significant chunk of time dedicated to sports.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Sometimes I get tired of whinging gamers, but in this case I'm glad people are holding them to a reasonable quality standard.
    I'd argue that the whinging gamers are the reason why it was released in such a buggy state in the first place - impatient gamers were demanding it gets released NOW and would have attacked them a lot if they'd delayed the game again.

They probably ran out of money.

You both may be right

I'm going to guess they ran up against a holiday season deadline. The PS5 and XSX launched and this was going to be a big (or the biggest) launch title. As with Witcher 3, this will be forgotten if they get it right.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'd argue that the whinging gamers are the reason why it was released in such a buggy state in the first place - impatient gamers were demanding it gets released NOW and would have attacked them a lot if they'd delayed the game again.
    Probably investors rather than gamers.

Even putting aside all the bugs and launch problems, it seems like the worldbuilding falls woefully short:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/outxider/recommended/

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-more-tim...believe-in-it/

essentially it pretty much seems what it is, totally rushed release like so many games before. As faetal said, likely huge pressure to get something out the door before end of year window, especially as this will be the last retail quarter for the ps4 and xbox that is viable.

Nearly 20 hours into it now, and I've barely even had any more visual glitches. Only actual bug started after 10 hours, when it would constantly crash upon loading a save. Googled it and found that you should go into Steam and verify the files. It downloaded some gigs, and that solved it.

For a counter-perspective then I freaking love it, mostly sneaking through hostile areas of course, hacking stuff and people, tracking down lost vehicles for a car service, bounty hunting and swinging by various people between real missions. Great characters and stories with quite a bit of anxiety. Indeed also the zomg cool future(tm). And the constant first-person perspective - love that it never ever leaves it!
    Seems pretty unrealistic to suddenly rag on every aspect of the game, although they apparently screwed up quality control big time, especially on console.
    Hope I don't jinx my streetkid campaign now.

Thing What Kicks
    Holy fuck. This is a BIZARRE coincidence.

I've just started the side-quest "Send in the Clowns". And the character who contacted me just got in my car and he has a grenade for a nose.

Why is this a coincidence?

WAY back when in the late Eighties and early Nineties, my friend Chris ran our P&P Cyberpunk 2020 campaign. I played a character called Brian the Fractured, who was as chaotic as I could make him.
    He was a seven foot guy with almost full body modifications, a mohawk, clown make-up and a grenade for a nose.

This wasn't in the ruleBooks as a cybernetic mod or even an example; I asked Chris if I could get it done specifically for Brian.
    Hell, he was even massively involved with the Bozo gang, which is where I suspect this sidequest is going.

Like seriously, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

I mean, I don't think I've ever mentioned this anywhere on the internet, and if I had, it would have been in this thread, which it isn't.

I am really weirded out right now.
    Last edited by Malf; 19th Dec 2020 at 13:25.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, wow.

I saw an image of that grenade-nosed fella on twitter a few days ago and assumed it was a bug. That's a real character, huh?

Still Subjective
    That's awesome Malf. I love it.

Maybe... there's something going on... ?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast