TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CDP RED making a Cyberpunk game apparently

CDP RED making a Cyberpunk game apparently

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...a-rpg-tomorrow

YES!

The piece of concept art is hardly original, but there's never enough cyberpunk. Especially cyberpunk RPG.
    Last edited by van HellSing; 30th May 2012 at 13:30.

If it features guns, this new RPG will be considered a departure from the fantasy universe of The Witcher.
    I couldn't agree more.

Definitely interested in what they end up doing. Witcher 2 was full of problems, but pretty brilliant in some ways. At the very least, it looked bloody fantastic.

Witcher 2380AD. That could actually be interesting if they extrapolated the Witcher universe into the future; I always felt that "the medieval fantasy, but 2000 years later" has been somewhat of an underused concept. Aside from Warhammer 40k, I cant think of many games that do that, they usually go for completely new "look-what-kind-of-wacky-aliens-we-can-come-up-with" space oddysey SciFi.

Shadowrun would be an obvious one.

Taking a break
    So they're not touching the Hussite Trilogy? Thank god.

I'd definitely like to see them handling a different IP. I liked The Witcher but didn't love it; there was too much about it that felt clumsy, wannabe-edgy or simply badly written, although I could never tell whether this was due to the material or the translation. (Haven't played The Witcher 2 yet - it's sitting on my shelf.)

CDPR conference streaming right now:
    http://www.gog.com/news/see_our_summ...onference_live

edit: It's not just a cyberpunk game it's a Cyberpunk game, as in the pen & paper rpg license
    Last edited by van HellSing; 30th May 2012 at 13:26.

Hey I remember that RPG from a long time ago.
    Yeah they could do a cool job with that.

Last edited by van HellSing; 30th May 2012 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    list

1. Tits
    2. Quest Hubs
    3. More stats than ever
    4. Multiclassing
    5. Shiny stats
    6. Generic statement all RPG makers say

I've nothing against CDP, just not that fussed on their games.

Also, I can't stand William Gibson's work, so hopefully its more like DX and not so much the neon blue mohawks and terrible dialogue.

It's a Cyberpunk 2020 licence so it's probably going to end up Neuromancer vs. GITS vs. a touch of Blade Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted O'Toole View Post
    Also, I can't stand William Gibson's work, so hopefully its more like DX and not so much the neon blue mohawks and terrible dialogue.
    Haha that reminds me I saw Johnny Mnemonic for the first time recently and was thinking, wow, Ice-T just picked the wrong Keanu cyberpunk movie to be the badass black dude in. If he would have held out he could have been Morpheus, which single-handedly made Laurence Fishburn the coolest black man in cyberpunkdom. T just had no chance convincing us he had street cred in that movie when his gang was run by a talking dolphin.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted O'Toole View Post
    DX was loaded with terrible dialogue and terrible fashion choices, what's your fucking d- oh wait Ted O'Toole, nevermind.

wtf you said fuck already

Could we at least save it for special occasions?

Taking the Death Toll
    that post originally had 3 instances of the word "fuck"

see, i can self-censor

Also everybody knows Ted O'Toole is a walking euphemism for the double-birdie and he doesn't get rebuked.

Edit: But seriously it's true DX had all of that, the awful dialog, awful voice actors for that matter, stupid art direction... Haha, but it was all done with such charm you laughed along with it. Blue mohawks and talking sea mammals just aren't very charming I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    DX was loaded with terrible dialogue and terrible fashion choices, what's your fucking d- oh wait Ted O'Toole, nevermind.
    There was a lot of rough lines in DX, that didn't make the cool ones any less so. As far as fashion is concerned, leather trench coats were all the rage back then.

Why do you love such a cheap hack ? Oh wait, dethtoll, nevermind...

Actually, I'll tell you, its subjective.

Exhibit A

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post

Edit: But seriously it's true DX had all of that, the awful dialog, awful voice actors for that matter, stupid art direction... Haha, but it was all done with such charm you laughed along with it. Blue mohawks and talking sea mammals just aren't very charming I admit.
    Many have said the voice acting as terrible, but I really liked it. There are bits here and there, like "A bomb!", but I put those down to poor editing or audio queuing more than anything.

Before citing the usual examples of brilliant voice acting (thief, Legacy of Kain etc), one should consider that DX was at the very least above average for the time.
    Last edited by Ted O'Toole; 30th May 2012 at 16:07.

Taking the Death Toll
    Alien 3 notwithstanding, if you think Gibson is a cheap hack then I'm sorry but there's no helping you.

I'd ask who you think writes GOOD cyberpunk, but chances are you'll say Neil Stephenson and I don't want to make you ruin what modicum of credibility you've got shatter the illusion of your credibility.
    Last edited by june gloom; 30th May 2012 at 16:08. Reason: oh hell who am i kidding, he's got no real credibility

Thing What Kicks
    I used to play the original P&P Cyberpunk RPG way back when, so I'm pretty stoked for this

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility notwithstanding modicum credibility

Stop hating something I like
    You do nothing but attack people who's opinions differ and you want me to defend my credibility?

You're like 28 and turning names into insults, you're a manchild or blatant troll, a cunt either way.

As for Cyberpunk, not really my scene. Aside from some games and 3 Gibson books I haven't really bothered with it, possibly because I didn't like Gibsons. He had some interesting ideas, but a somewhat weak knowledge of networking, or maybe he constructed one that was more easily digested to the lay man. The dialogue was painful to read, but at least he's better than Dan Brown.

Look, I don't know if you two have some kind of history going on but cut it out. Seriously, read it all back to yourselves. Garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Look, I don't know if you two have some kind of history going on but cut it out. Seriously, read it all back to yourselves. Garbage.
    No history that I know of. Just not in the mood for being insulted due to a difference of opinion.

I want to know what kind of awesome games all of you are playing to be bad-mouthing The Witcher. DX was fun, but the comically spastic animations and the fact that the lines were read like it was five minutes before lunch kinda marred it. I have no problems with the gold foil filter since it was enough to distract my simple mind from the fact that the textures looked like someone got them from 2006.

Try 2000.

Witcher was ok and I appreciated the attempt to make a hardcore game, but I just couldn't get absorbed into it and the combat got repetitive pretty quickly for me. The cards and other adult oriented content felt a bit cheap too, but whatever floats your boat.

Maybe I'm getting old. I've liked Mass Effect and Assasins creed games, I think the latter would have been fine without all the future stuff. I can't really think of any recent RPG's I've enjoyed since KOTOR.

Hmmm, is it just my lack of taste/experience if, every time I see anything cyberpunk, it ALWAYS looks the same to me? You know dark-and-gritty, neon lights, techy tall urban centers, futuristic glasses with HUDs, the goddamn hexagons, robots with feet ("we still have roads but fuck tires") and weapons / armor with glowy dots to make sure the enemy can spot you. Only exceptions I can think of are blade runner and deus ex1 to a degree, tho both fall more into sci-fi than cyberpunk strictly speaking.

(also in before "you see all that stuff in cyberbunk because that's what cyberpunk genre is" hurr durrs)

edit: also MOHAWK. there needs to be at least one mohawk. always.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast