TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Level 10,000 achieved

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Been playing AC: Syndicate for a few days now, and I'm really enjoying it. I know the smart thing would probably be to go for the main storyline first since I often run out of steam with these games before I finish them, but I'm having so much fun with the sidemissions I've barely touched the main story stuff.

Just did the first proper Murder Investigation sidemission, and wanted to write a bit about it. Things weren't off to a great start with the first mission, which, to be fair, was more a tutorial than a proper mission. It was very handholdy and even required you to point out the wrong person as the murderer before it allowed you to see all the clues and finish the investigation properly. Ho hum! The second one I did after that was investigating the murder of a woman in a park. The investigation took me to several residences in the neighbourhood and had me talking to a handfull of suspects. But by the time I'd found all the clues and the game informed me I would be able to solve the murder I was genuinely stumped. I'd had my suspicions as the case progessed, but the vital piece of evidence I'd hoped to find had failed to materialize, so by the end I was left scratching my head. I opened my notebook up and looked over the collected evidence, and I swear it totally felt like that scene in a mystery thriller where all the pieces suddenly fall into place, and the detective has flashbacks of all the subtle hints along the way, all pointing towards the inevitable and horrific conclusion. I closed the notebook, parkoured my way over to my main suspect, and pointed an accusing finger. A tearful confession later the cops came in and hauled the murderer off. A very satisfying murder investigation, in other words, and I hope the rest of these will live up to it.

Other things I like: The controls feel like they've been streamlined in all the right ways. That and the perhaps faster movement makes the gameplay feel less clunky, and I feel more in control than I have in earlier AC games. And it looks great. And the hideout on the moving train is great. OH AND THE BOATS! Man I love jumping between the boats in the Thames. Things like the Train Heists are great too. Oh, and the hunt for the music boxes which just shows you a photo of a box and then you have to find it in the world? I like that a lot. Reminds me of the treasure maps in RDR, which was an idea so simple and fun I'm surprised it's taken this long for other open world games to copy it. I actually wanted to have a RDR-style treasure hunt in my latest game but I had to scrap it because I was running out of time, ANYWAY

Things I'm "meh" about: The zipline/grapplinghook does it's job in improving the gameplay by letting you get around faster, but I wouldn't really describe it as a joy to use. It's so stiff and automated, and with little real physicality to it. And the horse carriages? Eehhhh, then again when have horse carriages ever been much fun? And the story, natch. At least this one keeps the present day stuff to an absolute minimum.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Did someone say "SCREENIES"????

No? Oh, well here's some anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    And the horse carriages? Eehhhh, then again when have horse carriages ever been much fun?
    Feel joyful in knowing that several story missions involve carriage chases and a couple involve "shadow this carriage without getting spotted".

The game's rendition of Victorian London is gorgeous. I played it a week or two after a holiday in London, which made for a fun and slightly surreal experience, as I traversed spaces I'd only just been to.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Here's some bits and pieces of gameplay.

Watching that, you'd be forgiven for thinking 90% of the game takes place on the Thames, but that's not really the case. I just love those riverboats and barges, and the dynamic playspace they create.

Hopping from boat to barge, it's basically Frogger, though, isn't it? Other than the Thames not killing you when you fall in it, though I'm sure that the water would have been filthy enough to infect even the slightest scratch.

I'm glad you like it, because I worked on it!!!

I'm in Ubisoft Singapore, and we are responsible for all the Thames-related stuffs.
    Last edited by Kroakie; 13th Jun 2016 at 09:43.

verbose douchebag
    I clicked on the E3 thread, saw Kroakie had posted and thought "what was that game that he made ages ago which seemed really cool?".
    Clicked back in gaming forum, next thread was about Void, so there was my answer, thought "I wonder what he's up to these days as that mod seemed really cool".
    Next thread - details of what you're up to.

Well played.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroakie View Post
    I'm in Ubisoft Singapore, and we are responsible for all the Thames-related stuffs.
    Kroakie my man, that is awesome!

Administrator
    I'm tempted to add this to the library but the price is putting me off. Also the annoyance of these DLC season pass things. I end up waiting for the ultimate edition later on because I don't want to spend over 50 quid for the bundle.

Should I care about the DLC at all?

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    I'm tempted to add this to the library but the price is putting me off. Also the annoyance of these DLC season pass things. I end up waiting for the ultimate edition later on because I don't want to spend over 50 quid for the bundle.

Should I care about the DLC at all?
    As far as I've seen, a lot of it is cosmetic stuff with power buffs attached. But there are some story DLCs, they may be worth looking into if that's your thing (and you enjoy the AC formula).

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'd suggest you skip the DLC, at least initially. There is more content in the base game than you'll even wanna play. Seriously, there's a boatload of sidemissions, murder invesigations, gang takeover activities, etc. You'll get exhausted by it all before the game is over. Save the DLC for half a year from now when you feel like revisiting Victorian era London. Also I dunno what it costs right now on PC, but y'know the Steam Summer Sale is a week or two away so you might wanna wait for that.

Or, hell, buy it all right now and make Kroakie happy.

Or, hell, buy it all right now and make Kroakie happy.
    Oh yes please. That will make me very happy indeed.

Administrator
    I'll have to leave it until I've got some time in on other games I failed to get through. Dishonored, DX:HE, Bioshock Games. Just got Witcher 3. I'm also sure you lot have far more of them queued up in Steam...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Maaaan the fucking mission design in this thing. Ok, mostly it's fine, but sometimes it also contains objectives that seemingly are only there because whoever designed it felt they should be there, rather than because they make any kind of logical sense. Like the mission where you have to knock out a guard, steal his uniform, and then hide his body in a carriage. A CARRIAGE! Not a bush, not a haystack, either of which would've been easier, but a carriage. Which means you need to lug his body all the way out of the dangerous area he's in to do so, meaning I had to kill about 5 other guards on my way out. And then you get out, hide his body, and it's never mentioned again. What the fuck was that all about? Why was it important that his body be hid in a carriage but unimportant whether I littered the place with the dead bodies of 5 other guards?

A few missions later I steal a royal carriage from a highly guarded courtyard. I manage to knock out everyone in the place so I can get away undisturbed. But then for some reason once the main portion of the mission that requried the carriage is over I have to return it to the courtyard again, which is now highly guarded once more. I park outside and get back in there, knocking guards out, but this time I get spotted and have to kill a bunch of them. Afterwards I go back out, drive the carriage into the courtyard and Evie makes some quip about how surprised the coppers will be to see the carriage returned. Yeah, they might be a bit more surprised about the place being littered with the corpses of their murdered friends, but whatever. Why was it so important to get the fucking carriage back in there? I really wish these games let you play things more by ear. They spend all this money on creating these highly detailed worlds, but they can't program in a few different win-states?

YOU HEARING ME KROAKIE? MAKE THE GAME BETTER! >:U

On a related note: I'd never played Assassin's Creed Rogue, but I am doing so now. I like how it connects AC3 and Black Flag while looking forward to Unity and Syndicate, in terms of story and mechanisms, but at the same time it highlights that the series does need a bit of a break. Other than that, I miss the grand metropolitan architecture, and the game engine does look dated compared to the last two entries, but I like how it combines the seafaring of Black Flag with the frontier setting of AC3.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, taking a 1 year break was a good idea. Assassin's Creed how can I miss you if you're always around?????? <3

Anyway, beat the game today! Or the main story, rather. Final bossfight was pretty silly. Then afterwards I discovered that holy shit there's like a whole other game within this game. A game where you're running around London during WW1 as Lydia Frye (who I guess is Jakob or Evie's daughter) doing missions for Churchill. Also I still have plenty of Marx, Dickens, Darwin, Queen Victoria sidequests, plus Dreadful Crimes and Secrets of London, oh and all the remaining burrough takeover missions. These games sure aren't short on content.

Overall I'd say this was my favourite Assassin's Creed game, so far. Which is not saying much, really, because I've always been a bit ambivalent about them, even the ones I've liked. So, eh, 7.5/10?

verbose douchebag
    This reminds me I need to finish AC3 at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    On a related note: I'd never played Assassin's Creed Rogue, but I am doing so now. I like how it connects AC3 and Black Flag while looking forward to Unity and Syndicate, in terms of story and mechanisms, but at the same time it highlights that the series does need a bit of a break. Other than that, I miss the grand metropolitan architecture, and the game engine does look dated compared to the last two entries, but I like how it combines the seafaring of Black Flag with the frontier setting of AC3.
    Was it just me, or does it seem like they toned the graphics down a little in Rogue too? Foilage doesn't rustle when you run through it, and the environments generally seemed less detailed than in Black Flag. Not that it was ugly by any means, but it did seem odd given Rogue came out after Black Flag.

I've had an obsession with games that take place in the 18th/early-19th centuries lately so I bought Unity earlier this year with pretty low expectations. I think I would have been disappointed if I'd expected an AAA experience, but for the purposes of scratching that 18th century sword-fighting itch it did a superb job. The combat is a huge improvement IMO. Parrying no longer gives you the instant-kill opportunity, and things can get icky quickly when you're up against three or more opponents. There is real motivation to disappear into crowds or run for you life in Unity that I didn't feel in Black Flag or Rogue, where you can wipe a lot of the streets clean through frontal assaults if you wish.

Unity benefits greatly from playing it after everyone's been bitching and moaning about it. Adjusted expectations do wonders for that game.

Level 10,000 achieved

How I played the game, and a couple screenies

All the HUD options turned off, except Conflict, Memory Log and High Ground Icons. You really don't need the rest and they just ugly up the screen.

And I avoided the Eagle Vision II and Chameleon skills, because frankly they just seem like they would make the game way too easy. Eagle Vision II completely takes away the element of having to scope out a place before making your entry, and Chameleon actually TURNS YOU INVISIBLE when not moving, which just doesn't even make any damn sense, does it?

From one of the later missions.

This is from the WW I part.

YOU HEARING ME KROAKIE? MAKE THE GAME BETTER! >:U
    Hey, I just do the programming.

Let me know how you find the WW1 part. My studio did that too.

Administrator
    I disabled most of the HUD in Dishonored for similar reasons. It indicates things like alert status which you should be able to deduce from NPC behaviour. I think that actually ruined my first attempt at playing the game as it was more fun after turning it off the second time picking it up.

I should fiddle with those kinds of settings more. I generally like unintrusive HUDs, but I rarely think of customising them, even when the game allows for this.

Kroakie: I thought that WW1 London was a nice Easter Egg, but in going for nighttime London during a bombardment it rather lost what I like best about AC locations, namely the feel of a living, breathing, bustling city. It felt more like a level than like a place - which I think was okay for the short visits to other eras in Unity, but didn't do that much for me as a sort of mini open world. In other words, what you did was done well, but I didn't particularly like what you did, if you get what I'm trying to say.

verbose douchebag
    Resurrecting this thread to avoid spamming the 2021 gaming one

Started this a few days back and it is already shaping up to be my favourite of the series so far.
    The murder mysteries are GREAT. The borough takevoers are good fun. THe stealth mechanics are much improved over Unity, though the free running feels less tuned to my intentions and I flat out dislike the combat, which was excellent in Unity. Trains are great, carriages are meh, zipline is nice, collectibles are more interesting than standard AC fare.

Most of all WOW LONDON. They nailed the UK atmosphere so well that I got smell flashbacks in the middle of a rain storm and had massive pangs of homesickness (not lived in the UK since 2014), so that's a job well done. I didn't think anything could top Unity, and maybe this doesn't objectively and it's just the homeboy talking, but I'd say it's close to objectively as good as Unity, if not better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast