TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just a link? And no explanation for why you're posting it?

Even though it relates to a Kickstarter project, it seems kind of random given that no one in the thread is discussing it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thankfully, adding context to a link about Molyneux is a simple matter of putting "Get a loada this bullshit:" in front of it.

Presented for your amusement: A falsified interview with Mr Peter Molyneux, Esq., in which comedic mockery is engaged upon for the entertainment of yourself, the reader.

In other news, an extraordinary summary of the current state of 22 Cans' Kickstarter game "Godus" was published on Rock Paper Shotgun today.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Thankfully, adding context to a link about Molyneux is a simple matter of putting "Get a loada this bullshit:" in front of it.

It's a shame - Molyneux has worked on some amazing stuff, and I like some of his thinking (even though some of it tends more towards performance art than good game design, cf. Curiosity), but he's getting worse and worse at actually delivering. Perhaps if he was given zero power to put his suggestions into practice and someone else could use him as a ideas generator, taking on those ideas that are promising and dismissing the ones that are random nonsense.

verbose douchebag
    If nothing else, it makes for mildly entertaining parodies.

Southquarter.com/fms
    There's some pretty damning stuff about Molyneux on Eurogamer and RPS today. The guy kind of sounds like scum. I wouldn't give him a penny for any type of Kickstarter or Early Access thing. The worst part is that he just seems so nonchalant about it all.

Still, it'll be interesting to see how and if he responds to all this negative press.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Was surprised (but pleased) to see that Strafe hit its goal.

Level 10,000 achieved

I feel like my investment in this KS has paid off already.

Backed Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander which is essentially FTL crossed together with Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

But I quite like the look and style of it. Looking forward to having a play of it. Main $$$ goal already met and several stretch goals already unlocked.
    Last edited by icemann; 15th Mar 2015 at 04:29.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And it's being done by the guys who made FTL so that's not a mega surprise.
    Where are you getting your information? No source that I can find says anything about Subset Games (Justin Ma, Matthew Davis) working on this game.

Ah my bad. Could have sworn I read a mention of it last week. Either way, looks like a good game.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I'll back Seven Dragon Saga if it meets its funding goal. A turn-based combat, party-based RPG from the makers of the Gold Box AD&D CRPGs.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tions-interact

Good God, RPGcodex is such a shithouse community.
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...2#post-3794320
    "He likes a game which I don't? PLEDGE CANCELLED!"

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I'll back Seven Dragon Saga if it meets its funding goal.
    Isn't that literally what a Kickstarter pledge is, anyway?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

^
    Trying to up your post count, pedant?

They've added saving/loading to the SP of Planetary Annihilation. About damn time.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1134266
    Hey all! Over the last month, we’ve been pushing on getting save/load working in the single player side of PA. We’ve also done tons of balance tweaks based on feedback and our balance folks watching replays and streams, added 2 new maps (1 for ranked play and 1 for general play), did some fairly big performance improvements for large army fights, and hit as many bugs and polish items as we could.

This is the first pass of our save/load work, so you’ll see it missing items we want in the final. That being said, we are currently working on those elementsl, but since this version was working, we wanted to go ahead and get it out so you could use it. I’ve explained what is in this version below (single player AI skirmish saving), as well as what we hope to get in next (galactic war mid game saving and resume from anywhere in a replay loading).

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    ^
    Trying to up your post count, pedant?
    I kind of knew trying to be polite to you was wasted effort. But I'll answer your question. No. In fact, I'm still curious - are you actually not backing until it makes its numbers? Because that manages the impressive feat of potentially screwing them over while gaining you nothing. Or did you just use a bizarre phrasing for a normal pledge?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Agreeing with Pyrian - what's the point of backing something after it's already funded? Isn't that defeating the entire purpose of Kickstarter? You don't lose anything by pledging before it's funded, and you might actually, you know, help it get funded by pledging. Not understanding Eva's logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Agreeing with Pyrian - what's the point of backing something after it's already funded?
    Stretch goals would be the answer to that question.
    Last edited by icemann; 16th Mar 2015 at 01:23.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, it's simple. If you want to have a stake in a project and back after it's funded, you've a) successfully pledged for something that has a high probability of getting made now, and b) got it cheaper than it would be when it's actually released. Long-term pre-ordering, so to speak.

verbose douchebag
    But if you pledge and it doesn't get funded, you don't pay any money anyway. Isn't that less hassle than tracking its progress manually?

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, so I'm just presenting this as a matter of some random imaginary people who're not us and their slightly different perspectives.

- If it's funded early by the community, it's probably got enough people confident in it to turn out well, so if you were sort of interested, why not cast some bucks in.
    - I'd track the performance of the project even if I put my $$ in anyway, in order to see if it got funded. Effort cost: same. Bonus: getting to feel smug about backing it after all those idiots funded it for me.
    - I am the Walrus.*

*goo goo goo joob

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Okay... the Gold Box games were before my time, so I have zero personal nostalgia to "vote with my dollar" here. If the campaign gets funded however, I'll chuck them some bucks at the critical time where it matters the most - directly funding development. Why? Because I'd like to support the general sentiment of having more traditional RPGs.

Really one guy not pledging them $25 RIGHT NOW isn't going to make any difference.

That's the last I'll say on the matter. Forget it if you think I'm going to go into some fruitless "chicken before the egg?" circular debate with anyone. I'm not Tony Tarantula.

verbose douchebag
    I wasn't criticising, just curious. I assumed there'd be a good reason for it.

I'll admit that does seem a bit ridiculous. Though I guess it depends on how you perceive Kickstarter. I've always seen it as a gateway for developers (both old and new) to pitch ideas for games that would not get funded under traditional methods, or where a developer doesn't want outside influences from publishers causing large changes to the original visions and plans for a game.

So if I like either:

A) The idea / pitch for a game
    B) The developer / the people that make up the staff on a project

Then I'll definitely consider chipping in. Of course that does depend on what sort of game it's going to be.

There was one kickstarter a short while ago that combined adventure and shoot'em'up genres (Star Mazer) that looked good and interesting, but wasn't one I could see myself playing for a long period of time so didn't back.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast