TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

ZylonBane
    A solid tungsten cube.

Yeah I know, not a game, but for some dumb reason this thread is in the gaming forum.

Moderator and Priest
    You need tungsten to live, don't you, ZB?

ZylonBane
    Lazlo's Hierarchy of Needs, donchaknow.

If I had $200 to spare, I'd get that kilo cube.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That cube is really dumb.

But I also kinda want one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Lazlo's Hierarchy of Needs, donchaknow.
    *Maslow's... unless that's a joke I don't get.

verbose douchebag
    90% of what ZB says is a joke someone doesn't get.

ZylonBane

Can someone explain to me how the hell this isn't funded yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-in-the-groove

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Can someone explain to me how the hell this isn't funded yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-in-the-groove
    Probably lack of brand awareness. I'd never heard of the series until the 3rd one for oXbox came out, but that game was a flop and since then we've had a whole new generation of gamers spring up.

Mega Drive was HUGE in PAL regions, NES/SNES were culturally irrelevant in Australasia. I'm guessing that this series might've only been a hit in North America. Being an exclusive to the 2nd place console in North America probably didn't help matters either.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Mega Drive was HUGE in PAL regions, NES/SNES were culturally irrelevant in Australasia.
    Where are you getting that information from? That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Speaking as an aussie I can tell you that over here it was roughly a 50/50 split between the sega master system 1 & 2 and the original Nintendo back when those were prevalent.

Then in the 16 bit generation, more people here had super nintendo's than Mega Drives. Was roughly a 70/30 split.

I can't speak for the UK obviously. But over here, that's how it was.

Sonic was HUGE in the master system era and the system had a shitload of great games. Hence the success. The mega drive in comparison had far less "killer apps" and so didn't do anywhere near the same level of overall $$$ compared to the SNES which had great games across all genres coming out quite regularly.
    Last edited by icemann; 24th Mar 2015 at 11:16.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I lived it. 1991-1996, New Zealand was pretty much the "Republic of Sega". Game Boy was also huge, but handhelds are a different market to home consoles.

Anyway Toejam & Earl 4 is over-funded now. Jason can rest easy.

Then you should have said "The Mega Drive was HUGE in New Zealand, where the NES/SNES were culturally irrelevant."

Since that doesn't apply to Australia where the SNES dominated. Most certainly wasn't culturally irrelevant here. If anything, everyone absolutely loved Mario over here, and the play ground disputes over who was better between Mario and Sonic was VERY COMMON.

I recall there used to be a Super Mario Bros cartoon on every morning during the 90s.

New Zealand's tastes don't decide all of Australasia.
    Last edited by icemann; 27th Mar 2015 at 02:16.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Little Devil Inside

this looks

SO GOOD

That looks friggen amazing. I'd love to play that if they manage to pull it off. I am wondering if they might be trying to put in too many things into the mix though (reminds me of my cooking sometimes).

verbose douchebag
    Looks fantastic.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Already funded, but if you're into Rare (Ltd) cartoony platformers, you can probably get this one cheaper than when it's actually released:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mer-rare-vival

Level 10,000 achieved
    SBF just about sold me on this one.

Ultimate Chicken Horse KS

I shall chip in if it gets far enough that they might actually reach the Online Multiplayer stretch goal ($35 000).
    Last edited by henke; 11th May 2015 at 00:37.

I am soooooo all over this one.

Kickstarter for a spiritual successor to the Metroidvania style Castlevania 2D games, done by many of the team responsible (eg Koji Igarashi) for those on the PS1 and DS. Even has Michiru Yamane who was responsible for the awesome music for quite of a few of the older Castlevania games.

This probably deserves it's own thread, but I'll stuff it here anyway. First-person procedural stealth in a dystopian 60's English city:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ells-you-saucy

The trailer is fairly ridiculous:

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I am soooooo all over this one.

Kickstarter for a spiritual successor to the Metroidvania style Castlevania 2D games, done by many of the team responsible (eg Koji Igarashi) for those on the PS1 and DS. Even has Michiru Yamane who was responsible for the awesome music for quite of a few of the older Castlevania games.
    Already pledged to this one. Looks really good. Here's a list of all my backed projects:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Always, ALWAYS loved the Metroid-vania genre of games & would play any new ones in a heartbeat regardless of reviews)
    The Bards Tale IV (So I'm a big sucker for dungeon crawlers like Stonekeep & Legend of Grimrock. If you even hint that your game will have something of that nature... I'm on board.)
    Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach Card Game (What can I say... my brother likes tabletop games.)
    Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (Richard Garriott returning to style of game that made him popular... I hope. Unfortunately, I mainly backed this out of nostalgia.)
    Divinity: Original Sin (Oh goodness, let's just say that I own more than one copy of every game they ever made starting with Divine Divinity. Even their worst game Beyond Divinity was still fun.)
    Torment: Tides of Numenera (Planescape: Torment... currently in my top three RPGs of all time that you must play before you die list along with Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall & Ultima VII: The Complete Edition. So what more needs to be said?)
    Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey (I have always considered The Longest Journey to be one of the best adventure games ever made. And Crow will always be my favorite non-player character... but Morte from Torment does come in a close second.)
    Project Eternity [aka Pillars of Eternity] (I liked the Baldur's Gate series, loved the Icewind Dale series, & cherished Planescape: Torment for it storytelling. Naturally, I wanted more.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    This probably deserves it's own thread, but I'll stuff it here anyway. First-person procedural stealth in a dystopian 60's English city:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ells-you-saucy
    Love the style. It also looks pretty slick and at a fairly promising level of development compared with many other Kickstarter projects at comparable stages of funding.

Just noticed that these are the same people who made Contrast, which I was interested in buying but never got around to. I'm definitely interested in buying this as well but I think I'll wait and see what the finished product is like rather than fund it at this stage.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Wow!
    June 13, 2015
    Successfully raised $5,545,992 USD with 64,867 backers
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1262600
    I bet that they won't mismanage their funds, unlike mega douche Tim Schafer ($3.3 million funded through Kickstarter but $2 million over budget!).

Um... how were the funds mismanaged? Are you saying that them putting in their own money to finish the game constitutes mismanagement? In that case, Wasteland 2 was also mismanaged, as were many many other KS games.

If you overscope, then you either cut content or get more money, it's that simple. That's not mismanagement, that's simply management.

PS. Here's the relevant bit from the Wasteland KS update (I've bolded the interesting parts):

Wasteland 2 is 2x bigger than Kickstarter budget allowed!

Wasteland 2 is a hell of a project. One that is larger and more nuanced than we had imagined even when completed our Kickstarter campaign and knew what our budget was. We've had the good fortune of having a nicely selling back catalog, which allowed us to put a good chunk of our own money into making this the best experience possible. That along with some help from Early Access on Steam provided additional revenue along with a great influx of feedback.

We made this promise a while back and it still holds true. Every penny coming in from sales is still going back into making Wasteland 2. By this stage, it means we have doubled Wasteland 2's initial budget.

There was discussion when we put the game up on Early Access whether it was a good idea or not. I can promise that the game we are close to releasing would not have been the same without it. While Wasteland 2 would have been released months ago without Early Access, it would not have the polish, detail, and scope that we are bringing to you in very near future. The past few years have been one large learning and refining process for all of us, and in hindsight, we can measurably say this had a huge positive impact on the game. Nothing beats the feedback from tons of you playing the game and the resources and time to act on that feedback.
    Last edited by Starker; 13th Jun 2015 at 16:53.

Whether Tim Schafer is guilty of mismanagement of funds or not... the two best pieces of info that I have found (there are always more... but these usually end up on the top) on this subject are these two:

TotalBiscuit "Double Fine & Spacebase DF-9 under fire - Sep. 21st, 2014"
    Bobby Kotick slags off Tim Schafer

Now most folks would throw Bobby Kotick & his comments under a bus without thinking (when I first read that article, I also brushed it off). But based on Tim Schafer's recent history with games, plus a really stupid comment from JP LeBreton about DoubleFine not being a random fly-by-night indie dev... well I can only say that it really doesn't look good for Tim Schafer or DoubleFine's reputation.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819202122 ... LastLast