TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Spin Tires KS completed at 60,935. That's 20,935 over the target. As a thanks to the fans, the devs are releasing an update to the tech demo to open it up a bit and make it moddable. The old 2011 demo had a surprisingly active mod scene where people would make new trucks and maps for it, so I'm sure we'll be seeing some cool new content show up for Spin Tires before it even releases in January of next year.

verbose douchebag
    No way in a million years would you catch me on one of these, but FUUUUUUCK, what an idea!

I thought it was a land based airboat at first. Kinda less interested that it's not.

verbose douchebag
    Now that, I would buy

Features a built-in tent for flamping (fly/camping)
    I cannot believe I now live on a planet where we NEED a word for 'fly/camping'.

I'm not sure whether this is awesome, terrifying, or both.
    Last edited by DDL; 21st Jun 2013 at 12:54.

I can't imagine how they can claim in all seriousness that it is a "safe" form of travel. Overhead power lines, accidentally landing in heavy freeway traffic, young children taking it for a spin... It looks like fun but goddamn

The Unknown Game

I haven't seen devs take such an academic approach to gaming since, well, Looking Glass. Count the academics working on it. Looks like it's going to be the ur-procedural game, for the fantasy genre anyway.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2tlPDsbp_M4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2tlPDsbp_M4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I can't imagine how they can claim in all seriousness that it is a "safe" form of travel. Overhead power lines, accidentally landing in heavy freeway traffic, young children taking it for a spin... It looks like fun but goddamn
    Can you imagine the mayhem if even 1% of people travelled like this?

How about this?

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bp2TWNpTA7s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bp2TWNpTA7s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

As far as aircraft go, that flying bike seems actually pretty safe. No extremely volatile fuels, keeps to low speed, aerodynamically stable, and remains aerodynamic during power loss, not to mention it always has a parachute deployed. Also remember, 25mph is an extraordinarily low speed for any aircraft.

It'd still be enormously dangerous to try to take off and land in any crowded area but if you have an open field (even just like a public park or something) I can't see it being any more dangerous than, say, a motorcycle. Once up in the air there's not much that can go wrong.

My main questions would be fuel capacity and retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    How about this?
    A good way for some to avoid the booze bus.

Tbh, I really don't think I could trust the average home pilot to fly any safer than the average driver.

RE: Tug

Despite the daunting array of Phd students involved in its development, that video didn't do much to pique my interest in it for some reason. I can't put my finger on it exactly, it's just the vibe I get from the presentation which makes it appear more of an academic exercise, with the art work and environments existing merely as a backdrop to the tech they are roadshowing.

In saying that, some of the features they are trying to pull off are ambitious and potenially groundbreaking, and if successful could have some amazing ramifications for the gaming industry. I just hope it's also fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Tbh, I really don't think I could trust the average home pilot to fly any safer than the average driver.
    Keep in mind the takeoffs & landings are automated, so the driver is only in control of in-air maneuvers... Which you'd think have to be at least safer than driving, considering there's not really much to actually run into up there.

The thing I wondered about was that breakdowns would be more catastrophic (the para-sail bike is better for this, since if all else fails the parachute floats you down), and people dropping things (or themselves) or trespassing, and there not being an easy way to stop things like that.

RE: TUG
    Hmm, actually my thinking was sort of similar... This game itself is like a prototype of this kind of genre (I'd call it Minecraft-like for a Skyrim-like world) that I think may actually fizzle, but the next game that's inspired by it will probably be all kinds of epic.

It's possible that what we saw is like Minecraft alpha that set the stage for what came later, if it evolves as much as they say. But they need to bump it to that next level. For one, I actually don't like the cartoonish elements IMO (the PC & NPCs & objects, trees, etc) much. Minecraft is for cartoony. The whole point of this, what should set it apart, is that it's more realistic & gritty, so it should take a more realistic Skyrim aesthetic with the PC, NPCs, objects, and world IMO. Actually that's a really important part I really wish they'd adopt, or leave it for another game or a branch version. As it is now, all that's kind of a turnoff to me ... also the "tech demo" flavor that you mention.

The reason I picked it out BTW is because it uses Miguel Cepero's VoxelFarm engine (blog), which I've been following forever. Some of the videos it shows are *exactly* the kind of procedural terrain & architecture (the mountain ranges, trees, caves, temples) I want to see for this kind of game... I hope TUG, or a branch version of it maybe, takes up that aesthetic.
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Jun 2013 at 11:34. Reason: added comment on flying car

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Heh. Thanks, Eva :)

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Backed my third game on kickstarter: Satelite Reign
    Me too. Always will be a Syndicate fanboy.

is Best Pony
    Yes, insta-pledge from me.

Little Witch Academia 2, the possibility for a series from one of the most delightful animated shorts in years, I'm all game for that. Gonna toss $100 their way next Thursday.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tch-academia-2

The original, if you're not in the weeb-scene. Totally worth watching if you like animation of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Backed my third game on kickstarter: Satelite Reign

I'm a HUGE fan of the original Syndicate + didn't mind Syndicate Wars, so was a no brainer for me.
    That one looked really good to me too. Which is interesting because I didn't like Syndicate very much really.

Backed Satellite Reign and Tangiers. A sandbox stealth game that rebuilds itself based on the players actions. It looks bloody gorgeous!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ealist-stealth

I just independently saw Tangiers, looks pretty cool. It's definitely indie unpolished, but it's got stealth & I like the way the environment evolves with the gameplay, which we've talked about before (in the Zany Game Ideas thread) as one potential way to make exploration more into a game mechanic itself.

Since I know few games that have ever played with that idea, it'll be interesting to look at just as a data-point to see how the mechanic plays.

And generally speaking there could be more surreal games out there, where the rules of reality have their own dream-like logic not bound to ours. It can take advantage of what's special about interactivity better, and there's innumerable other realities out there to play with to always stay too close to ours.

I'm also backing Tangiers, just got a line on it a few days ago from skacky here on the boards. Looks like it's going to be close on meeting it's goal. Thief and stealth fans check it out, here's a short description that basically sold me without seeing any video or gameplay:

Tangiers is a blend of stealth and exploration for Windows, Mac and Linux built within the Unity engine.

Using the sandbox stealth of Looking Glass Studio's Thief series as the base of Tangiers, we're looking to build a world inspired by, embodying and adapting the alternative avant-garde of the 20th century.

Writers such as Burroughs and Ballard, artists within the Dada movement and the music and textures of Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and David Lynch all drive us. They are our motivations - often oblique, sometimes in open reference.

Ah, Satellite Reign is the game I will probably regret not backing the most, but I've decided against supporting Kickstarter projects with exclusive in-game content. Hope it will make it.

Oh well, at least that means a lot more money for Tangiers.

I came back to share about Tangiers and found out that's it's already discussed. The game looked really good and I can't wait to get back to some Thief moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    --
    belfong, the self proclaimed german tourist

That Tangiers project looks really good. It kind of reminds me of another project that I backed and that's nearing completion -- Paper Sorcerer: http://www.ultrarunaway.com/.

Maybe Tangiers deserves a separate thread here, as it's so heavily Thief inspired?

Maybe most people think the zombie thing is played out, but this still looks like a lot of fun to me, so I pledged. I do tend to think they aimed a bit high on their Kickstarter goal though.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast