TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatars?

I see that avatars are disabled on this forum. The search function reveals to me that This Is So, but it does not tell me Why. Is there a particular reason for it? I personally have a hard time keeping track of users without avatars, for me it's like having a face to attach to a name.

BECAUSE

I have yet to see a forum that allows avatars that doesn't make me want to rip my eyes out.

Besides, avatars wouldn't help you out any; you'd find 376 variants of Garrett, 145 of Benny, 76 Victorias, 400 artistic variations on wangs, and the rest would just copy Dave's picture and try to pass it off as their own.

You forgot to mention the 98 seizure inducing blinking ones.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I have yet to see a forum that allows avatars that doesn't make me want to rip my eyes out.
    PA is at least reasonable, but only up to a point.

shadowelven, we had a thread here where forums, huge sigs and all the usual nonsense were added for a time; participation in it convinced most of us that we were much better off without them.

ZylonBane
    Here, have a tasty avatart instead.

*Stares longingly at the various berries*

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Here, have a tasty avatart instead.

http://www.gourmetproject.ca/wp-cont...cream_p777.jpg
    I'd eat it.

Hah. Ok. I can understand the annoyance. I personally think the benefit outweighs that (especially when you still deny people putting images in their signatures, wtf is with that anyway) but it's not my say! Thanks for the replies.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by raevol View Post
    I personally think the benefit outweighs that (especially when you still deny people putting images in their signatures, wtf is with that anyway)
    You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Also, you have a stupid name.

And you smell.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Also, you have a stupid name.

And you smell.
    Maybe my post was worded a little funny? I don't want sig images, those are retarded.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by raevol
    (especially when you still deny people putting images in their signatures, wtf is with that anyway)
    You really have to ask? Google 'anime forum' and click a random one. Witness the visual bloat in peoples' sigs.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 22nd Aug 2008 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    You really have to ask? Google 'anime forum' and click a random one. Witness the visual bloat in peoples' sigs.
    Maybe my post was worded a little funny? I don't want sig images, those are retarded.
    *applause*

Personally I like the idea of allowing avatars as long as the animated ones are forbidden and max size is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    Personally I like the idea of allowing avatars as long as the animated ones are forbidden and max size is reasonable.
    I agree on all points. Doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

Well the thing with avatars is that their actual contribution to the forum would be something ranging from 'totally pointless' to 'just a bit of fun'. And that just doesn't warrant the annoyance it will bring by 'clever' people who try to stretch the rules. Nor does it warrant the distracting qualities of ill fitting imagery next to a serious discussion.

Sure most people would try to carefully select their avatar. But some will fail utterly. Ages round here vary from mid-teen to 71 (at least), and though I'm sure we're all young at heart, I'm also sure a lot of us would get fed up with the empty-but-loud concoction of the next 14 year old who thinks he's almost done growing up.

If you feel you need a picture to express yourself. Go ahead, make one, or select one -as sadly will be more likely for most.
    Do something with it, be creative. Set it in you profile. Make a website. Setup a blog. Whatever.
    But round these parts, I'd rather see you contribute to the discussions at hand. An avatar won't improve your contributions any. If anything, it'll distract.

Taking a break

"Because it's there"

images in their signatures
    I can understand avatars (as i assign thous sometimes to ttlg forum members = aka i see no need for ttlg-side support) - but i CAN'T understand images in signatures (even text is only ok in ~1% of the cases where signature exists [hm... actually, most posts themselves are junk too. {like this one}])

I don't think avatars really work very well in light-themed forums.
    Maybe it's just me but, if avatars are available, I'd choose a very dark one.

I'd have nothing against tasteful avatars, but I'd hate to see TTLG flooded with random flashing animated things.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I don't think avatars really work very well in light-themed forums.
    Maybe it's just me but, if avatars are available, I'd choose a very dark one.
    But hopefully not an animated one.

Well, you never complained about it at SBF.

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    Well the thing with avatars is that their actual contribution to the forum would be something ranging from 'totally pointless' to 'just a bit of fun'.
    This is where I disagree. I find that avatars are a quick and easy way to identify the poster. Especially once a thread gets going, it's a convenient way to identify regular posters and people who interject in the middle of something.

I agree about the light theme thing, though I don't really feel the theme should be changed.

Keeper of FMs
    Quote Originally Posted by mol View Post
    400 artistic variations on wangs
    What's wrong with that? I wouldn't mind seeing 400 wangs...oh wait...I already...nevermind...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast