TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

Seems as someone got their hands on the source code for both DromEd and Thief. I don't know of any other way they could have pulled off such an astonishing accomplishment.

Now, I can envision my city-on-a-hill mission that I've always wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    Seems as someone got their hands on the source code for both DromEd and Thief. I don't know of any other way they could have pulled off such an astonishing accomplishment.

Now, I can envision my city-on-a-hill mission that I've always wanted to do.
    Being an avid thief player, I'm a lover of puzzles... Corbeau is another name for the Charbono grape, that produces a dark wine, and it is suggested the 1.19 patch producer would've needed access to the source code. Then why not a previous member of Looking Glass studios (and colleagues)? A dark wine? Product of the vine? Levine? Just a throw-away thought...

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    This patch redefines the term "rooftop mission":

(this is the OM placed in a big airbrush)

Creating something like this should now be possible:

I agree, my big gripe was in some city based fm's that there are fake doors or ones that can bashed opened and there was just a solid wall behind it

Yes i know dromed is limited on certin things but with this new enhanced dromed it sounds very promising hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. The Thief 2 in-game resolution is matched my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050), but DromEd's game-mode resolution is crap. What am I missing?
    I have this in my user.cfg:
    Code:
    ;uncomment next line and add a valid mode to enlarge DromEd window. Valid modes: '800, 600', '1024, 768'
    ;edit_screen_size 800,600
    ;edit_screen_size 1024,768
    ;edit_screen_size 1280,960
    ;edit_screen_size 1400,1050
    edit_screen_size 1440,1080
    ;edit_screen_size 1600,1200
    ;edit_screen_size 1920,1440
    The commented out resolutions indicate the sizes I tried before settling on 1440,1080 as best with my monitor.

Also, in dromed.cfg I have put the following at the very bottom (to make it easy to find and adjust):
    Code:
    ; ***** START LarryG Customizations *****

; D3D9 render options
    use_d3d_display
    editor_disable_gdi
    edit_screen_depth 32
    d3d_disp_hw2d_msaa

;bigger font
    gui_font intrface/textfont

; desired height (pixels) of GFH/bottom area in editor, value may also be a negative number to define a
    ; percentage based relative height (-50 would be half the window, 50%)
    gfh_height 150

; max width of command terminal (if there is free space to make it wider)
    gfh_max_cmd_width 410

; number of decimal places displayed in GFH coordinate entry boxes, a value 2 to 8 (default is 2)
    gfh_coord_decimals 4

; alternative texture PnP layout (allows a taller texture thumbnail)
    texture_pnp_layout 1

; status bar height, a value between 16 and 64 (default is 16), usually only needed when using custom font
    status_height 24

; display XYZ info for the current mouse cursor position in a 2D viewport
    show_mouse_xyz

; display current camera coordinates
    show_camera_xyz
    Your needs for these may vary based on your monitor & window size.

I'm still finding stuff to customize the DromEd window to my personal tastes. The amount of customization allowed by all the combinations of parameter possibilities is a bit overwhelming. (To say the least!)

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    I'm really enthusiastic about this patch. Does it work for thief 1?
    Yes, it seems to, for me, but you need to do it right. I posted what I did to get it working with both T1 and TG earlier in this thread. So have some others. Read.

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    After extracting the files into my thief folder, I get an error when I attempt to launch dromed or thief:
    Error
    Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43.dll

What have I neglected?
    Read the release notes:

IMPORTANT: The "Visual Studio 2008 SP1 C++" and "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" runtime
    DLLs are required to run (the DirectX ones are only required when running with DX9,
    which is default). While most systems probably already have them installed, by default
    or through other applications and games, they can be missing on some. Below are the
    official download links.

Visual Studio 2008 SP1 C++ runtimes:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010):
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

OpenAL Installer:
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...ds/oalinst.zip
    Also in the troubleshooting doc (may not apply to your case):
    Problem:
    Display mode fails to set or there are miscolorations (on some
    integrated video cards such as Intel).
    Solutions:
    * Update display drivers.
    * Set "d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf" to prevent the game from running in
    enhanced 10-bits-per-channel RGB mode.
    * Disable multisampling ("multisampletype").
    * Disable postprocessing ("postprocess").
    * Disable "d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx".
    * Try DX6 (disable "use_d3d_display").
    * Look in cam_ext.cfg for more options to disable that affect
    performance.

Interesting... I haven't seen any evidence of SIMD in the executables: AVX, SSE1-4, 3DNow!, MMX.

Holy cow this is exciting.

In case anyone was wondering, I can confirm this works with TFix (for Thief Gold), Tafferpatcher, and System Shock Rebirth/Texture patches.

Question: does this mean higher polygon objects can be created now?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I have no idea what that could be unless your key bindings are messed up . . . Did you start with a brand new working 1.18 install? What is it . . . user.bnd? Is that right? I'd start by looking there.
    I grabbed a fresh install of thief 2 I had backed up, then extracted the contrib.zip and new_dark.zip to the root directory.

@Albert:

Yeah I was a bit vague but I already set it to OpenAL in-game, in fact that's the only way to turn on EAX for me. (Just setting HW Acceleration to On shows EAX forced to off.) To be more specific, EAX sounds like the guards are talking (I tested OpenAL + EAX On in Running Interference) in a big cavernous room or something.. It's all echoey and sounds way out of place to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WorLord View Post
    Does this mean higher polygon objects can be created now?
    Well, going from an 11-sided cylinder to a 26-sided one implies as much. Now we just need Jason Otto and Pinkdot to improve the AI meshes!

My question is, can we now do

1. Zip lines, player parachuting, hangliding, etc?
    2. Believable pathing for vators so they actually turn and pitch?
    3. Larger maps?
    4. Meshed landscapes?

I'm stuck in RL so I can't really dig into it.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I grabbed a fresh install of thief 2 I had backed up, then extracted the contrib.zip and new_dark.zip to the root directory.

@Albert:

Yeah I was a bit vague but I already set it to OpenAL in-game, in fact that's the only way to turn on EAX for me. (Just setting HW Acceleration to On shows EAX forced to off.) To be more specific, EAX sounds like the guards are talking (I tested OpenAL + EAX On in Running Interference) in a big cavernous room or something.. It's all echoey and sounds way out of place to me.
    All I can think of is to start from the CD with a clean install. RSoul posted this at TEG. Just ignore the DromEd / editor stuff if that's not your bag (though it shouldn't hurt, and you never know, you might try it some day).

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Before you installed Dromed 1.19, had you extracted the original Dromed from the zip file?

After trying out the patch I wanted it in a clean install so I wouldn't have old config files from older things like ddfix. Here's what I did:
    Installed Thief 2 to a new folder (c:\games\Thief2_119)
    Extracted all of the files from Dromed.zip (from one of the T2 CDs, allowing it to overwrite everything)
    Installed the Thief 2 1.18 patch (remember this updates mis files and other resources too)
    Installed Dromed v1.18 (which was unnecessary because the new patch overwrites it, but never mind)

That's the default installation - no mods or unofficial patches.

edit: Next step: Installed the Dromed Toolkit (menus.cfg and .cmd files)

Then I extracted the contents of the new package, in this order:
    new_dark.zip
    contrib.zip
    editor.zip

Because you have zips within a zip, make sure you extracted the contents of them, rather than the zip files themselves.
    Last edited by LarryG; 27th Sep 2012 at 19:02.

Quote Originally Posted by WorLord View Post
    Question: does this mean higher polygon objects can be created now?
    I don't see a new version of the conversion tools (3ds2e, bsp, meshbld) anywhere in the archives, so I'd suspect higher poly objects/meshes won't work. The bottleneck was always in the converters (and what did or didn't crash them), rather than the game itself.

@LarryG:

Ok, I suspected as much. I'm just going to need to go grab the dromed.zip. I knew there were more files [for dromed 2] than in the editor.zip included with the package, but I assumed they weren't needed.

Edit:
    Sorted, thanks.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 27th Sep 2012 at 12:21.

how can i display in-game movie subtitles on 1.19?

i could display subtitle on original T2, TDP, TG by using VobSub with subtitles files(.ssa)
    However, since 1.19 changed video playback way, subtitles doesn't display in-game anymore

how can i display subs on 1.19?

i considered re-encoding movies with subtitles...
    but it is hard to modify text when i need to fix it. and there are more problems... anyway, re-encoding isn't handy way.

so i think re-compiling ffmpeg.dll with adding '--enable-libass' option would solve this problem...
    but i don't have any knowledge of programming

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/H...%20the%20video

i'm not sure about this

i'd appreciate some help

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I don't see a new version of the conversion tools (3ds2e, bsp, meshbld) anywhere in the archives, so I'd suspect higher poly objects/meshes won't work. The bottleneck was always in the converters (and what did or didn't crash them), rather than the game itself.
    Just to add to this, that doesn't mean you can't make high poly models. With care you could always make high poly models. I've gotten 4000+ with no issues in the past.

Just tested...and mind-blown!

How did something this big delivered so casually?

Quote Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
    Just tested...and mind-blown!

How did something this big delivered so casually?
    I'm not sure why this is confusing.
    Clearly they didn't want to get into trouble with this so they did it anonymously.

ZylonBane
    Something else cool I noticed while playing around with this last night-- those clunky square particles used on some effects, like fireplaces, are now rendered as round particles. It's a little thing, but all these little things really add up to make creaky old Dark look not nearly as dated anymore.

Movement input problems V1.19 Bafford Demo

I installed the Bafford demo for having a look at the new patch (whomever made it: this looks amazing---thank you!), as I don't have Thief 1 installed at the moment. It certainly looks fantastic, but I was confronted right away with a problem I had years ago, on a different rig: Garrett moves forward slowly when I hit the walk forward button. He walks sideways and backwards at normal speed and he runs forward at normal speed.

I tried remapping the move forward slowly or slide key, whatever the command is called, as well as the speed toggle key, to no avail. Anybody know what to do?
    Last edited by nickie; 28th Sep 2012 at 02:35.

Albert
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Something else cool I noticed while playing around with this last night-- those clunky square particles used on some effects, like fireplaces, are now rendered as round particles. It's a little thing, but all these little things really add up to make creaky old Dark look not nearly as dated anymore.
    Yeah, and it's most apparent in Sliptip's FX demo. Stuff looks much cleaner now, thanks to that.

When I first saw that Kotaku article, I wasn't that impressed.

Then I came here, read the changelog, and tried it out for myself.

THIS. IS. GLORIOUS!

OpenAL support is definitely something the first two games have needed for a while now, as I found out that ALchemy only works properly with the Dark Engine's DirectSound3D implementation if you have a hardware OpenAL device (read: a real X-Fi or Audigy card). Otherwise, you get muted sound in the cutscenes and other strange issues in-game that make it obvious that it doesn't sound right.

But now, even software OpenAL devices (like all those "X-Fi" USB devices, the X-Fi driver package, Sound Core3D devices, and probably Rapture3D and OpenAL Soft too) work just fine with the cutscenes and in-game. Hardware acceleration, EAX, 48 channels, it's all good. Turn on CMSS-3D Headphone (or other equivalent binaural HRTF mixing feature) and it's like gaming with Aureal A3D again!
    Last edited by NamelessPlayer; 27th Sep 2012 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    Interesting... I haven't seen any evidence of SIMD in the executables: AVX, SSE1-4, 3DNow!, MMX.
    That makes sense to me.

3DNow! and MMX are both deprecated. The use of SSE or AVX would exclude certain older CPUs.

The author seemed to have taken a certain purist view of this.

One minor detail I noticed - when recording in-game footage with FRAPS, everything looks normal now in regards to brightness. I remember in the past, I had to jack up the gamma to get anything beyond pitch blackness on my recording, but it all works like it should now.

Or had this already changed with DDFix..?

Yes, this is hm... unbelievable? The amount of work, testing, and thought putted into this patches strongly suggest that the author(s) was(were) no amateur(s) . And all these bonuses: internal fanmission loader, documentation? Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I have this in my user.cfg:
    Code:
    ;uncomment next line and add a valid mode to enlarge DromEd window. Valid modes: '800, 600', '1024, 768'
    ;edit_screen_size 800,600
    ;edit_screen_size 1024,768
    ;edit_screen_size 1280,960
    ;edit_screen_size 1400,1050
    edit_screen_size 1440,1080
    ;edit_screen_size 1600,1200
    ;edit_screen_size 1920,1440
    The commented out resolutions indicate the sizes I tried before settling on 1440,1080 as best with my monitor.

Also, in dromed.cfg I have put the following at the very bottom (to make it easy to find and adjust):
    Code:
    ; ***** START LarryG Customizations *****

; D3D9 render options
    use_d3d_display
    editor_disable_gdi
    edit_screen_depth 32
    d3d_disp_hw2d_msaa

;bigger font
    gui_font intrface/textfont

; desired height (pixels) of GFH/bottom area in editor, value may also be a negative number to define a
    ; percentage based relative height (-50 would be half the window, 50%)
    gfh_height 150

; max width of command terminal (if there is free space to make it wider)
    gfh_max_cmd_width 410

; number of decimal places displayed in GFH coordinate entry boxes, a value 2 to 8 (default is 2)
    gfh_coord_decimals 4

; alternative texture PnP layout (allows a taller texture thumbnail)
    texture_pnp_layout 1

; status bar height, a value between 16 and 64 (default is 16), usually only needed when using custom font
    status_height 24

; display XYZ info for the current mouse cursor position in a 2D viewport
    show_mouse_xyz

; display current camera coordinates
    show_camera_xyz
    Your needs for these may vary based on your monitor & window size.

I'm still finding stuff to customize the DromEd window to my personal tastes. The amount of customization allowed by all the combinations of parameter possibilities is a bit overwhelming. (To say the least!)
    Thanks Larry. Actually my DromEd looked great (edit_screen_Size 1600x900), but when I pressed ALT+E the game mode resolution was crap. I have already fixed it (had to adjust it through the game menus).

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The Mystery Development Consortium can't actually help there can they. Is there source code for those tools to hunt down anymore? (I guess if there were someone would have done it already)

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732 ... LastLast