TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

Wow

This is amazing stuff! Looks like I'll be playing Thief again tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. headbone View Post
    I ran into a problem ; after loading a previous save in the vanilla game; the in games load screen resolution is smaller; 1024 x 720; while in game is 1920x1080. I've poked around in cam.cfg and can't seem to find out the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Check cam_ext.cfg, that's where all of the settings for the patch are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    There's some buried gold in the new cam_ext.cfg file. I found a "d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay" setting that lets you set the HUD overlay to any "virtual" resolution you want. So now you can set the game to modern resolutions without having to bust out a magnifying glass to read the HUD text.
    Everyone who wants to mess around with this should probably check out doc/new_config_vars.txt, it has detailed info on all of the new settings in cam_ext.cfg - way more detailed than the comments in the config file itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiz View Post
    c) Thief 2 is run as admin ( otherwise you can't save games/settings )
    This depends on where it's installed. Install it outside program files (eg to F:/Games/Thief) and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    IIRC there was a mention that you can't use prior saves. I'm betting that 1.18 saves don't work in 1.19 and 1.19 anything doesn't work in 1.18. It looks to me likely that the save file formats have been changed and are not compatible.
    The save formats have changed but the documentation explicitly says that 1.19 can load 1.18 save files, although it's not recommended. 1.18 can't load anything 1.19, though.

Just in time for my annual October Thief obsession.

Some news sites and blogs describe this as a kind of compatibility patch. But when I dig into the documentation and configuration files, I see improved lighting, more polished core mechanics (better mantling and better handling of ladders), vastly improved level design tools... this patch is truly an extraordinary feat. Even as I read everyone's posts and see the screenshots, I'm still struggling with a little disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    That water has nothing to do with this patch. It's been available for months.
    Looks like I missed something then. Maybe the author has included that patch in his demo, because I captured that clip from his demo. As I know I have all of the patches for T1 so far but the water looked like this:

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    As I know I have all of the patches for T1 so far
    You don't.

Sensut, the improved water (as well as the wonderful skies) used in the patch and in the Thief demo have been available for T2 for a long time. When you get Tafferpatcher you can install them as well as far as I know.

Is the improved water also in TFix? I must admit I never had to use it with TG.

Understood. I never used tafferpatcher, so -1 for this upgrade .

Edit: right, is from tafferpatcher.

And now let's see what's new in Dromed. I'm rather interested in .
    Last edited by Sensut; 26th Sep 2012 at 11:16.

My guess is that whoever made this patch is a member of TTLG but has chosen to remain anonymous in case there's any legal trouble. Whoever you are, you're a saint!

I dabbled in DromEd a few times before, but never finished anything. Maybe I'll give it another try now.

I'm curious if the creator has plans to make more patches with further improvements? Not that the current round of improvements isn't impressive enough, but it seems clear now that any dream we've had could potentially become reality!

SShock2.com

Trying the patch with SS2, so far it works flawlessly (now I even had cutscenes on Win7 64, which was a problem that I could never fix before).
    I just haven't been able to figure how to use Rebirth and SHTUP with this patch.

Kind of embarrasing that we have all these new visitors to the site, and the first thing they see is a news item from mid last year.

Just sayin'

SShock2.com

Well, I have already updated sshock2.com

Noticed the news on the RPS website, uninstalled my old Thief2 then re-installed (just in case) from my old 2 CD , patched to 1.18 again then applied the 1.19 files as instructed, toned a bit down the head bob value (and uncommented the setting by removing the " ; " in front of it) in the cam_ext.cfg and ... it worked just like that , even without having to do any stunt to get my XP and hyperthreading compatible with it or any other things to get the movies working.

Whoever made this 1.19 , thank you very much.

I have read in this thread that Darkloader does not work ?
    looking into the readme files, i don't notice mentions of workaround though in this thread there's some word about some built in tool (that i don't see) for this but that create copy of files leading into huge backup folders.
    So how do you play fan missions with 1.19 ?

edit :
    Albert, look in your new \doc folder, there's a PDF in there that looks like an instruction manual for a built-in FM loader. I haven't tried that yet, or Darkloader, I only just now got T2 working and managed to play through Interference for a few minutes. Now that's working, I'm going to try out the new editor.
    just noticed this post, so there's more documentations than in the readme files, thanks for pointing to them, will have to give a try.

go to cam_mod.ini in your thief dir and uncomment ";fm"
    that's it and next time you fire up thief the new fm selector opens.
    you then have to point the path to the fm directory by using the gear icon on the bottom

the selector indeed unzippes the fm's ( in a folder FM inside your thief dir) but I found out that you can delete them after playing. and it seems that the selector will place a tiny file with your saves besides your fm zips

p.s. there is a pdf in doc folder about the fmselector
    Last edited by nightshifter; 26th Sep 2012 at 11:43. Reason: forgot to mention the manual and too late :D

I have made a clean install of SS2 and show this error:

"Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43.dll".

I'm using W7 64.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a DirectX issue. Just update your DirectX using Microsoft.com, and voila .

Slamelov - Probably what MoroseTroll said, but you might want to check this post too.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Apart from general amazement, my first question is "How?"
    I'm behind on all the leaks and reverse engineering going on, but isn't this even far beyond what anyone was hoping to do short of the full annotated source code appearing?
    Or was it finally dug up and I missed it?
    The source was apparently in a compiliable state a year or so ago. From that point, someone got it running and made the changes.

I'm hoping he decides to leak his current source as well, but this patch alone is an incredible gesture. Thanks to whoever put in the enormous effort.

Definitely an epic moment in Thief history, and it comes out of nowhere. Just downloaded and tried the good old Dark Project demo. Runs beautifully without fiddling with anything, just setting the desktop resolution in the Options. I think this makes it possible to finally see the original Thief games "remastered" and updated while using the same engine and everything. Still though, I'd love to one day see a complete remake of both Thiefs in a truly modern engine.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post
    go to cam_mod.ini in your thief dir and uncomment ";fm"
    that's it and next time you fire up thief the new fm selector opens.
    you then have to point the path to the fm directory by using the gear icon on the bottom

the selector indeed unzippes the fm's ( in a folder FM inside your thief dir) but I found out that you can delete them after playing. and it seems that the selector will place a tiny file with your saves besides your fm zips

p.s. there is a pdf in doc folder about the fmselector
    Thank you, the instructions were a bit unclear, as i created the " FMs " folder as instructed and put the .zip of the fan missions there, and once the fm selector was enabled and popping up, it was telling me it couldn't load the .zip in the FMs folder.

I understood, that the .zip must be put into -another- folder (whatever folder you want), then point the selector to them and it will work (you still need the FMs folder, as it is where it will extract the files).

Tested with the Seven Sisters V2 misson and it worked nice.
    /me happy

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    Still though, I'd love to one day see a complete remake of both Thiefs in a truly modern engine.
    Just curious: what engine you would prefere?

Late to the party, but wow... (thanks twitter and Ken Levine for the headsup)!

Thank you, anonymous saint!

Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43.dll

@Slamelov:

I had the same trouble, then noticed that the release_notes.txt installation section (the bit marked IMPORTANT) warns you about this but doesn't quote the error message word for word. It points you to the official download site for DX9, ie:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I also got that error initially and had to get the latest DX9 from Microsoft, then all was well.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    Well, I have already updated sshock2.com
    And on the main page here I see, thanks for that...

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732 ... LastLast