TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419242934 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark - Thief 2 V1.19 & System Shock 2 V2.4

Copy and past all files from contrib folder in thief folder, to back movies.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    BTW, did anybody run this patch on a non-nVidia&ATI graphics hardware: I mean integrated graphics from Intel and rare nowadays S3/VIA? I wonder how smooth and correct the game works on them. According to the Steam statistics, Intel graphics is getting bigger share for a few last years, and that's why I'd like to know what notebook (actually, what graphics in it) I should buy in order to play Thief 2 with no problem. Anyone?
    For kicks I downloaded the Thief demo on this old netbook - an EeePC 901 running Ubuntu! Intel 945GM graphics, slow even by Intel standards. I've attempted Thief-on-WINE on this thing before, and performance had to be measured in seconds per frame when I managed to get it running at all.

But the demo just ran, at acceptable frame rates, in the native resolution. I truly didn't believe my eyes for a moment there... Amazing - absolutely amazing! I guess modern Intel graphics should have no problems even at full HD.

In other happy Thief/Linux news, it seems that the problem with very long level loading times (5-10 times longer than on Windows) is now completely fixed!
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Quote Originally Posted by Le MAlin 76 View Post
    Copy and past all files from contrib folder in thief folder, to back movies.
    All those dll files into the Thief main folder? I did that already.

Albert
    Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    In other happy Thief/Linux news, it seems that the problem with very long level loading times (5-10 times longer than on Windows) is now completely fixed!
    Oh yes... I totally forgot to reiterate this. Load times are much faster now, and infact are probably the fastest that I've ever seen in Thief. It just blows everything else I've owned out of the water.

Thief/Linux is no longer an issue w/ 1.19, and I hope the post I made on WineHQ's AppDB will make this clear.

Intel 945GM graphics, slow even by Intel standards.
    To put it mildly .
    I've attempted Thief-on-WINE on this thing before, and performance had to be measured in seconds per frame when I managed to get it running at all.
    I suspect Wine has emulated the old Direct3D 6 API by wrapping it into the more-less modern Direct3D 9 (heh, it's ten years already ) or something like that, but I'm no Linux user at all, so I can be wrong.
    But the demo just ran, at acceptable frame rates, in the native resolution. I truly didn't believe my eyes for a moment there... Amazing - absolutely amazing!
    That's a definitely good news! It means that I can buy even a netbook, instead of a notebook, which should save me some money.
    I guess modern Intel graphics should have no problems even at full HD.
    Let's hope you're right. I've heard that the Intel graphics drivers are quirky enough, especially if a gamer tries to run a really old game, like T1&T2&SS2.
    Like I said, I'm no Linux user at all, but anyway it's good to know. Thank you !

Just adding my dropped jaw and squeal of joy to the mix! Wow!

If the anonymous-patcher ever reveals him/herself, they'll be treated like a taffin' movie-star around here!

I can't wait to replay through TG and T2 again with this patch, then see how much I can remember of Dromed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I've never heard of this iZ3D. Did you have to do some crow-barring maneuver to get it working w/ Thief?

That just sounds awesome. Just as awesome as Thief running 100%
    http://www.iz3d.com/driver

All you need is a pair of analgyph glasses (red/cyan). This worked straightaway for me on T2 when I tried it just then. Don't know about T1/TG.

I'd tried it years ago but just got lots of graphics issues (blank screen or flickering) so gave up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret View Post
    If the anonymous-patcher ever reveals him/herself, they'll be treated like a taffin' movie-star around here!
    I think, that we have here not one, but several stars. I believe that the authors (testers and so on) of these extraordinary patches are reading this thread - HUGE thank You!
    Last edited by Xuio; 26th Sep 2012 at 16:48.

Zombified
    I have tried to run on a p3 1GHz/radeon 9100 machine, and the performance was decent at lower resolutions, so I wouldn't be afraid of (newer) intel graphics too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    When I enable override anti-aliasing (I have an ATI Radeon HD 7800 card) via CCC, my movies don't work for Thief Gold or Thief 2 under 1.19. Is there a way to fix this or an alternate way to display movies (wasn't there an ffmpeg codec included or something)?
    forcing FSAA via the control panel has always been messy, for many games. there is a variable for this in cam_ext.cfg for that, you should use that.
    ; multisampling (anti-aliasing) level
    ; IMPORTANT: some integrated graphics HW may not work correctly with multisampling and you will be left with a
    ; black screen, if that happens disable this option again
    ;multisampletype 8
    do not force anything via ccc, and uncomment (remove ; from the beginning of) the multisampletype 8 line.

8 years ago Moghedian & I were testers for The Trickster's Castle FM. It had severe framerate problems and was well-nigh unplayable on old systems so didn't do as well as it might have when released.

I've just loaded it up in the patched folder and it runs as smooth as silk.

Hopefully this patch will bring Dark Ghost Lord and other frustrated DromEders out of retirement to make more missions!

Albert
    Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    Hopefully this patch will bring Dark Ghost Lord and other frustrated DromEders out of retirement to make more missions!
    I think we can agree on this one thing fox.

Yes...

8 years ago Moghedian & I were testers for The Trickster's Castle FM. It had severe framerate problems and was well-nigh unplayable on old systems so didn't do as well as it might have when released.
    I distinctly remember that one and giving up on it because of the framerate outside.

Quote Originally Posted by casalor View Post
    http://www.iz3d.com/driver

All you need is a pair of analgyph glasses (red/cyan). This worked straightaway for me on T2 when I tried it just then. Don't know about T1/TG.

I'd tried it years ago but just got lots of graphics issues (blank screen or flickering) so gave up on it.
    Thief in 3D??? Garr! The only supported Thief game listed on that site is T3. And it looks like the iZ3D company went out business on July 31, 2012. Do you need anything other than the drivers? Which, the "current" or the "release candidate" version? & How do you use it exactly? When I go to http://www.iz3d.com/select_download it seems it requires a special monitor, or am I reading that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I have tried to run on a p3 1GHz/radeon 9100 machine, and the performance was decent at lower resolutions, so I wouldn't be afraid of (newer) intel graphics too much.
    I'm not afraid about the performance of Intel graphics anymore (thanks to snobel), I'm afraid of it's visual artifacts, freezes etc.
    BTW, is your Pentium III + Radeon 9100 rig a peer to Thief 2? I can't believe that any PC can live that long . Just curious: what motherboard is in it: Asus, Chaintech, Gigabyte, MSI, ...?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Thief in 3D??? Garr! The only supported Thief game listed on that site is T3. And it looks like the iZ3D company went out business on July 31, 2012. Do you need anything other than the drivers? Which, the "current" or the "release candidate" version? & How do you use it exactly? When I go to http://www.iz3d.com/select_download it seems it requires a special monitor, or am I reading that wrong?
    Ha, I didn't even see the supported games list! No, no special monitor needed and all you need is the current software and a cheapo pair of anaglyph glasses.

Most of the software seems as though it will time out after a thirty day trial but the anaglyph driver will remain (or says it will). All I did was select 'Anaglyph' from the drop down box that pops up after install. It seems to be fairly easy to get running after that. I've yet to fine tune it properly so I just had it running full time (Not sure what the hot key is). When you go into T2 hit SHIFT + NUM * to activate the setup if it doesn't come up on its own.
    Last edited by casalor; 26th Sep 2012 at 15:42. Reason: clarify that no special monitor needed

Huh, I didn't even think of 3D. I have a 3D Vision setup, now that Thief is on D3D9 I'll have to try that this evening.

@Slamelov:

I had the same trouble, then noticed that the release_notes.txt installation section (the bit marked IMPORTANT) warns you about this but doesn't quote the error message word for word. It points you to the official download site for DX9, ie:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109
    It works, thanks. The only problem is Open Al. I have installed Open Al Libraries, but I can't activate EAX. Anyway, the patch is amazing.

OPENAL!

fook'n yes, openal.
    thief and ss2 sound awesome through rapture3d.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamelov View Post
    It works, thanks. The only problem is Open Al. I have installed Open Al Libraries, but I can't activate EAX. Anyway, the patch is amazing.
    look through the cam_ext.cfg file - lots of config settings in there.
    also, you may have more luck with openAL Soft.
    place the oal_soft.dll file in either the sysWOW64 folder for 64bit OS, or System32 for 32bit OS.
    then you need to check the game log file which will detail all available openal devices, copy the full name, then specify it in the cam_ext.cfg file.

The bloom effect is quite well-implemented. I prefer the cleaner, 'accurate' bloom-less look, but the bloom certainly does look great.

After some experimentation, I'm using the following settings:

use_d3d_display
    new_mantle
    multisampletype 8
    fog_mode_exp
    use_hi_res_timer
    d3d_disp_enable_hdr
    d3d_disp_sw_cc (doing gamma as a post-process step is definitely the right way to go. Strongly recommended.)
    lm_init_texmem 1

The use of high-precision timers does seem to have a noticeable impact on smoothness, but it looks like there are some other issues keeping the game from running like butter. I'm hope that these will be squashed with enough effort.

Frame times appear to be capped at ~11ms with vertical sync enabled (or disabled) on my 120 Hz display. Setting phys_freq to a value higher than 91 appears to have no effect. This may be broken functionality, but it may also be a current engine limitation. Has anyone had success at getting their frame rates higher than ~91?

EDIT: Nevermind. Wasn't aware there was a 100 fps cap in place as default.
    Last edited by wonderfield; 26th Sep 2012 at 16:39.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    I'm not afraid about the performance of Intel graphics anymore (thanks to snobel), I'm afraid of it's visual artifacts, freezes etc.
    BTW, is your Pentium III + Radeon 9100 rig a peer to Thief 2? I can't believe that any PC can live that long . Just curious: what motherboard is in it: Asus, Chaintech, Gigabyte, MSI, ...?
    it's been made directly by intel, it seems (//intel d815efvu). has some nice extra features (temperature monitoring etc). bough it to house my Obsidian2 200SBi, but ended up using it for many strange tasks and tests. this one included.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 27th Sep 2012 at 01:43.

a 1000 times thank you to the author.

Seems like the forum hit a new record today:

Most users ever online was 1,354, 26th Sep 2012 at 12:55.

Zombified
    "a thousand eyes look.. grarr"

ZylonBane
    Now if we could just figure out why Albert tagged this thread "shimmy cocopuff".

I have noticed a bit more lag during gameplay for some reason (using the same resolution as I normally have it), but the map, books/scrolls, and loading times load way faster now.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Huh. I tried this on Thief Gold.
    Did the basic stuff. Lo and behold, it works!
    So I renamed Thief2.exe to Thief.exe
    Lo and behold, it works!!!
    No...way

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419242934 ... LastLast