TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: did I miss something??? thief 1.19???

Damn even with 1.20 there is still a visual bug if you use Renderer: Render -> Order

Strangly in editor game mode it's displayed how i want it but with thief.exe it's totally wrong

How it looks in editor:

How it looks ingame:

Honestly both screenshots were taken ingame and this is what makes the whole thing much more confusing.
    If I look to the left all windows are solid and if I sway to the right ~in the middle all windows are suddenly displayed properly.

(Short explanation about the setup: the house and the windows are separate objects. The windows are placed a bit inside of the wall so normaly you can't see the glass. But here comes 1.19(20) with the Render Order trick. With the usage of a transparent texture you (I) can create the effect you see in the second screenshot. But sadly if I play my mission with thief.exe it's messed up

Wasn't there an 'official' bug reporting thread?
    That might increases my chance that this will be fixed in version 1.21

Sweet thanks for keeping us updated, it is appreciated

Great news! I was hoping that the New Dark team would continue their works and there you go! So unexpected!

I'd love to hear something more about the viewport background image. I can see some commands to enable/disable it but how can I actually set it up and choose the image? And first of all - is it what I am thinking of - an image which may serve as a reference for building level geometry?

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Wasn't there an 'official' bug reporting thread?
    That might increases my chance that this will be fixed in version 1.21
    I've not seen such a thread. But if Raven is watching TTLG posts, it would probably help if some admin started one. And maybe set some guidelines in the first post, like "attach files that expose the problem, crash dumps and any other failure information that DromEd provides." I know, as an ex-software developer with more than 30 years under my belt (note to self: gotta lose some weight; that belt has gotten much too much tighter over the past 10 years ...), that the ability to debug problems is generally in direct proportion to the amount of supporting information provided. It ups your chances greatly. The fact that our Raven has been able to fix as much as this without much more than random posts complaining about things is amazing. My hat (if I were wearing one) would be off to this bird!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    I'd love to hear something more about the viewport background image. I can see some commands to enable/disable it but how can I actually set it up and choose the image? And first of all - is it what I am thinking of - an image which may serve as a reference for building level geometry?
    modders_notes.txt seems to have some documentation for it - "Viewport BG Images in Dromed" section from line 472. I haven't tried it yet, but yes - it certainly does look like a way to use a reference image for building geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    modders_notes.txt seems to have some documentation for it - "Viewport BG Images in Dromed" section from line 472. I haven't tried it yet, but yes - it certainly does look like a way to use a reference image for building geometry.
    Oh wow! Tried it. Works great! I put myself at the center of where I want the reference image to be and read off my xyz for where I want the reference image to be and then start messing around with scaling and positioning the image until I'm happy with it. Seems not to support jpg. But gif and png work. I bet all of the normal DromEd recognized image file types will work. This will save me lots of time in following my mission layouts. Happy I am.

The bg settings aren't saved anywhere, however after closing the configuration dialog the full
    command lines for the set bg images will be output to mono. You can then save these command lines somewhere and
    either manually enter them again or place them in a batch file that is executed with the "run" command.
    Better than nothing. I guess there wasn't any extra space in the mission file formats (mis & cow, or gam) to save that to. Oh well. My test reference image settings ended up:

Code:
    set_bg_image 2 "Basilica" 164. 150. 690.5 728. 428.25 270. 0.5 0 1
    That lined up the reference image I had been working with just perfectly,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basilica.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	880.8 KB 
ID:	1631

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump102.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	1632

and surprise! I found a spot where I had done the geometry wrong and hadn't noticed (oops!)
    Last edited by LarryG; 15th Mar 2013 at 00:13.

That BG image looks like a nice feature, but I haven't tried that yet - I have encountered some problem, which currently makes me stick with v1.19.
    I have a double monitor setup and for some reason, Dromed 1.20 launches game mode on the other monitor, instead of the main one. My second monitor is some old 4:3 one, and what happens is that I get some error message about the missing resolution mode and Dromed in result reverts to 640x480 resolution. Version 1.19 works as expected - game mode launches on the main monitor, which works in HD.

Has anyone encountered that issue too? Is that something I could change in some config file?

Yes I sometimes have that 640x480 issue as well. Seems kinda random for me.
    If I start gamemode via Game->MyRess it works fine again.
    Maybe as well check your Game->GameModeSettings in 1.20

alt+g just sents the command game_mode but you can also set your resolution behind so you could try to edit keybind.cfg and look for that line.(Line128 for me)

That BG image looks like a nice feature, but I haven't tried that yet - I have encountered some problem, which currently makes me stick with v1.19.
    I have a double monitor setup and for some reason, Dromed 1.20 launches game mode on the other monitor, instead of the main one. My second monitor is some old 4:3 one, and what happens is that I get some error message about the missing resolution mode and Dromed in result reverts to 640x480 resolution. Version 1.19 works as expected - game mode launches on the main monitor, which works in HD.

Has anyone encountered that issue too? Is that something I could change in some config file?
    Did you try reading the release notes? Right near the top:

Note to anyone with multiple GPUs or display devices:
    Due to a bug fix the game may now end up using the "wrong" device (again), or rather the correct
    device because it previously used the wrong. Go to the Video options menu and change the device
    under "Hardware Driver". Alternatively edit "cam.cfg" and remove the line "d3d_driver_index"
    to restore default device usage.

Seems like there's a newish format for fonts, 8-bit anti-aliased. Guess I'll have to update the font tool. Maybe put out a fancier editor. But damn if I'm not already way behind on getting DarkLoader working again.

And a reminder of GNU General Public License yadda-yadda source code, redistribution, derivative works and all that.

The change to FM language handling isn't described very well. Short of it is, put "fm_language whatever" in your cam_mod.ini and it will read FM resources in that language, no more having to rename folders and such. (And remember not to package any configs with the language set. Unless you really want to.) I haven't checked if it falls-back to the default language. In any case, when translating a mission you should be sure to have all the localized resources in each language folder.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Did you try reading the release notes? Right near the top:
    Note to anyone with multiple GPUs or display devices:
    Due to a bug fix the game may now end up using the "wrong" device (again), or rather the correct
    device because it previously used the wrong. Go to the Video options menu and change the device
    under "Hardware Driver". Alternatively edit "cam.cfg" and remove the line "d3d_driver_index"
    to restore default device usage.
    Thanks Larry - I skipped that part for some reason.
    But now I have tried both solutions, and they don't seem to be doing any difference.
    I narrowed it down to be the issue with "use_d3d_display" option in cam_ext.cfg. If I turn it off, the correct monitor is being used. Once it's ON, it switches to a wrong one.
    Last edited by PinkDot; 16th Mar 2013 at 10:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    Seems like there's a newish format for fonts, 8-bit anti-aliased. Guess I'll have to update the font tool. Maybe put out a fancier editor. But damn if I'm not already way behind on getting DarkLoader working again.
    I'm not sure if you noticed, given how buried it is, but there's actually a (source) patch to your font tool in the NewDark distro (it's in fonttools_aa256_patch.zip inside contrib_editor_demos.zip). The patched thieffon.exe seems to work fine, but the patched wfon.exe hangs for me when it tries to actually generate the bitmap, so that code probably needs some scrutiny.

Thanks Larry - I skipped that part for some reason.
    But now I have tried both solutions, and they don't seem to be doing any difference.
    I narrowed it down to be the issue with "use_d3d_display" option in cam_ext.cfg. If I turn it off, the correct monitor is being used. Once it's ON, it switches to a wrong one.
    You tried going into video options with both DromEd and Thief separately and changed "Hardware Driver" to the other device? If you only tried one of the two, try the other and see what it does. Maybe multiple monitors only work in one?

Quote Originally Posted by kdau View Post
    The patched thieffon.exe seems to work fine, but the patched wfon.exe hangs for me when it tries to actually generate the bitmap, so that code probably needs some scrutiny.
    Which is why I have to make a new one. It seemed to be rather hastily slapped together.

I should probably also fix ParchEd.

Hey guys, I don't know if this problem is known and solved.
    I was trying out dromed 1.20 and it kinda works. I have this cool console that tells me some stuff I (dromed) did, the title thing says dromed 1.20, but when I go ingame, I am met with the same limitations as with 1.18 (in menu gamma doesn't change within the menu itself as I slide it around and I can't mantle up on tight spots).
    Same with dromed 1.19. What to do, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Hey guys, I don't know if this problem is known and solved.
    I was trying out dromed 1.20 and it kinda works. I have this cool console that tells me some stuff I (dromed) did, the title thing says dromed 1.20, but when I go ingame, I am met with the same limitations as with 1.18 (in menu gamma doesn't change within the menu itself as I slide it around and I can't mantle up on tight spots).
    Same with dromed 1.19. What to do, I wonder?
    I'm not sure about the gamma setting, but the new mantling style isn't enabled by default. In cam_ext.cfg, you just need to uncomment (remove the semicolon from the front of) the new_mantle line.

Thanks, good to know that's available---it should probably be listed in one of the stickies. But I actually mean one that checks the version of thief2.exe, not just one that checks versions of OSMs but is compatible with NewDark. Now that there is more than one NewDark version out there, we could potentially need to worry about both engine and OSM versions. I suppose it would make sense to just extend VersionCheck to accept a parameter such as GameVersion=1.20 in addition to script module names.
    You should be able to give "thief2.exe=1.2" to VersionCheck.

Okay, proposal to the developers for integrating version checking and feature detection.

1. Add version information to ScrModules. The new struct will look like:
    Code:
    struct ScrModules2 {
        char osm[32];  /* Name of the module, .OSM is optional */
        boolean required;  /* Fail to load the mission if the module isn't available */
        char version[12];  /* required version of the OSM */
        char homepage[80];  /* URI where you can get the OSM, for showing in an error message */
    };
    This is backward compatible (assuming the file writer properly zeroed-out the block).

2. Stop using "script_load" to edit modules. I hate that command. Make a dialog box that does everything.

3. Add a mission property "EngineFeat" that is a bitmask of things the engine needs to support to play the mission. (Should probably at least 128 bits for future expansion.) If the game sees an unfamiliar flag set, it doesn't load the mission. Obviously this should only be used for things that will break the mission if they aren't supported. Dromed can automagically set flags it knows are needed, but something like a new model format would have to be set manually.

4. Expose supported engine features in the Version script service. This includes optional flags that wouldn't be included in the above "EngineFeat" bitmask.

5. New property Script\VersionCheck that checks the version of the game, a script, or the presence of an engine feature and sends a script message to the object. It can either send TurnOn/TurnOff or it can delete the object. No additional script or linkage required like with the current script. Each object that has to change its behavior will have the property. The idea is so a mission can still function without the feature by acting differently or just deleting the objects that need it.

6. Namespaces in script names. When two OSMs with the same name are loaded, the game "randomly" picks which to use. Instead, script name could be given as "osm.script" to load it from a specific module. Internally, all names are fully-qualified. (I also thought about using ':' or '\' as the separator but '.' is more common and easiest to type I think.)

7. New property Script\OnSim that sends TurnOn to the object like TrigSim but without taking up a useless object. Has a flag to send the trigger once when the game starts, or every time the mission is loaded.

I'm not sure about the gamma setting, but the new mantling style isn't enabled by default. In cam_ext.cfg, you just need to uncomment (remove the semicolon from the front of) the new_mantle line.
    Hey, thanks, that actually worked. Weird about the gamma, though.

And what is the point of releasing a patch in "disabled" mode? Now I don't know what to enable and what not. Subsequentially it's good for me as I will learn the features, but still why do that. Guess I'm a noob for that not being obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Hey, thanks, that actually worked. Weird about the gamma, though.

And what is the point of releasing a patch in "disabled" mode? Now I don't know what to enable and what not. Subsequentially it's good for me as I will learn the features, but still why do that. Guess I'm a noob for that not being obvious to me.
    Yeah, I'm sure it was a hard decision for The Raven not to have it on by default after all that work. But new_mantle allows a lot of new types "cheating" for the OMs and pre-NewDark FMs: you can get through windows without crates under them, reach places from either side when you should only be able to reach them from one side, climb up onto clearly illogical things like lit torches and spiky fences, etc. For my own work, I've had to add the non-mantleable property to eight different types of object, in addition to building ledges and such differently than I would have with 1.18. So as great as new_mantle is when someone's designed for it, it's still a trade-off for gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    You tried going into video options with both DromEd and Thief separately and changed "Hardware Driver" to the other device? If you only tried one of the two, try the other and see what it does. Maybe multiple monitors only work in one?
    Yes, I just tried with Thief2.exe - it seems to act identically to the Game Mode from Dromed - it launches on the other monitor.
    I went into Hardware options - it gives me two identical options - two times name of my GFX card. No matter which one I choose - same thing happens.
    I deleted the line 'd3d_driver_index 0' from cam.cfg file - it gets added whenever I run THief2.exe/Game Mode again.

I found some files called Thief2.txt in the main Thief2 folder, created whenever I run Thief, which might have some interesting info:

This is when I use DX6 (use_d3d_display commented out in cam_ext.cfg):
    Code:
    : PID: 5512
    : CPU: arch=x86-64 , fam=586 , cpus=8
    : SIMD: SSE=3 , 3DNow=0
    : OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    : Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1200
    : Virtual desktop resolution: 3200 x 1200
    : -----------------------------------------------------------
    : CWD: D:\Thief2119
    : App Version: Thief 2 Final 1.20
    : --------------------- misc config -------------------------
    : resname_base .\EP+.\FMs\Krzys+D:\Thief2119\res
    : cd_path D:\
    : load_path D:\Thief2119
    : script_module_path D:\Thief2119
    : movie_path D:\Thief2119\movies
    : install_path D:\Thief2119
    : language english
    : game_screen_size 1280 1024
    : game_screen_depth 32
    : game_screen_flags 45
    : game_full_screen 1
    : d3d_driver_index 1
    : game_hardware 1
    : single_display_mode 3
    : ui_scale_mode 2
    : framerate_cap 100.0
    : SlowFrame 4
    : SlowFrameUI 10
    : force_32bit
    : force_32bit_textures
    : mipmap_mode 2
    : lm_mipmap_mode 0
    : lm_init_texmem 2
    : lm_filter_margin 1
    : disable_lightmap_aniso
    : tex_edge_padding 2
    : alpha_test_as_opaque
    : d3d_disp_enable_hdr 32
    : multisampletype 8
    : postprocess 1
    : d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx
    : sfx_device 1
    : sfx_channels 12
    : sfx_vol_music -474
    : sfx_vol_2d 0
    : sfx_vol_3d 0
    : game dark
    : obj_min -8192
    : obj_max 2400
    : max_refs 14000
    : gui_font intrface\smalfont
    : enhanced_sky 1
    : skip_intro
    : new_mantle
    : z_far 512
    : wr_render_zcomp
    : render_weapon_particles
    : legacy_force_match_unrefs 0
    : dark_zcomp_arm
    : edit_screen_size 1680, 1050
    : edit_screen_depth 16
    : Enumerating DX6 adapters...
    :    Adapter "display"
    :       descr     : Primary Display Driver
    :       Modes
    :          640 x 480 x 32
    :          720 x 480 x 32
    :          720 x 576 x 32
    :          800 x 600 x 32
    :          1024 x 768 x 32
    :          1152 x 864 x 32
    :          1280 x 720 x 32
    :          1280 x 768 x 32
    :          1280 x 800 x 32
    :          1280 x 960 x 32
    :          1280 x 1024 x 32
    :          1360 x 768 x 32
    :          1366 x 768 x 32
    :          1600 x 900 x 32
    :          unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 32 (not in mode table)
    :          1600 x 1200 x 32
    :          1680 x 1050 x 32
    :          1920 x 1080 x 32
    :          1920 x 1200 x 32
    :          640 x 480 x 16
    :          720 x 480 x 16
    :          720 x 576 x 16
    :          800 x 600 x 16
    :          1024 x 768 x 16
    :          1152 x 864 x 16
    :          1280 x 720 x 16
    :          1280 x 768 x 16
    :          1280 x 800 x 16
    :          1280 x 960 x 16
    :          1280 x 1024 x 16
    :          1360 x 768 x 16
    :          1366 x 768 x 16
    :          1600 x 900 x 16
    :          unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 16 (not in mode table)
    :          1600 x 1200 x 16
    :          1680 x 1050 x 16
    :          1920 x 1080 x 16
    :          1920 x 1200 x 16
    :          640 x 480 x 8
    :          unsupported mode 720 x 480 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 720 x 576 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          800 x 600 x 8
    :          1024 x 768 x 8
    :          unsupported mode 1152 x 864 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 720 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 800 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1280 x 960 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          1280 x 1024 x 8
    :          unsupported mode 1360 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1366 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1600 x 900 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          1600 x 1200 x 8
    :          unsupported mode 1680 x 1050 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1920 x 1080 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :          unsupported mode 1920 x 1200 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :       Enumerating 3D devices...
    :          Device "RGB Emulation"
    :             descr      : Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation
    :             device guid: A4665C60-2673-11CF-A31A-00AA00B9
    :             Device Validation
    :                ** failed, no HW support
    :          Device "Direct3D HAL"
    :             descr      : Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
    :             device guid: 84E63DE0-46AA-11CF-816F-0000C020
    :             Device Validation
    :                validated ok, device added (0, E790000)
    :       Enumeration done
    : Enumeration done
    : DDProvider: Enumerating modes
    :    640 x 480 x 32
    :    720 x 480 x 32
    :    720 x 576 x 32
    :    800 x 600 x 32
    :    1024 x 768 x 32
    :    1152 x 864 x 32
    :    1280 x 720 x 32
    :    1280 x 768 x 32
    :    1280 x 800 x 32
    :    1280 x 960 x 32
    :    1280 x 1024 x 32
    :    1360 x 768 x 32
    :    1366 x 768 x 32
    :    1600 x 900 x 32
    :    unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 32 (not in mode table)
    :    1600 x 1200 x 32
    :    1680 x 1050 x 32
    :    1920 x 1080 x 32
    :    1920 x 1200 x 32
    :    640 x 480 x 16
    :    720 x 480 x 16
    :    720 x 576 x 16
    :    800 x 600 x 16
    :    1024 x 768 x 16
    :    1152 x 864 x 16
    :    1280 x 720 x 16
    :    1280 x 768 x 16
    :    1280 x 800 x 16
    :    1280 x 960 x 16
    :    1280 x 1024 x 16
    :    1360 x 768 x 16
    :    1366 x 768 x 16
    :    1600 x 900 x 16
    :    unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 16 (not in mode table)
    :    1600 x 1200 x 16
    :    1680 x 1050 x 16
    :    1920 x 1080 x 16
    :    1920 x 1200 x 16
    :    640 x 480 x 8
    :    unsupported mode 720 x 480 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 720 x 576 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    800 x 600 x 8
    :    1024 x 768 x 8
    :    unsupported mode 1152 x 864 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 720 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 800 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1280 x 960 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    1280 x 1024 x 8
    :    unsupported mode 1360 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1366 x 768 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1600 x 900 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1600 x 1024 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    1600 x 1200 x 8
    :    unsupported mode 1680 x 1050 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1920 x 1080 x 8 (not in mode table)
    :    unsupported mode 1920 x 1200 x 8 (not in mode table)
    : DDProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : DDProviderFixed StartMode: smode 1280x1024x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D)
    This behaves normally - THief launches on the main, widescreen monitor in whatever resolution I want.

And this is when DX9 is on (use_d3d_display is active):
    Code:
    : PID: 2356
    : CPU: arch=x86-64 , fam=586 , cpus=8
    : SIMD: SSE=3 , 3DNow=0
    : OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    : Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1200
    : Virtual desktop resolution: 3200 x 1200
    : CWD: D:\Thief2119
    : App Version: Thief 2 Final 1.20
    : --------------------- misc config -------------------------
    : resname_base .\EP+.\FMs\Krzys+D:\Thief2119\res
    : cd_path D:\
    : load_path D:\Thief2119
    : script_module_path D:\Thief2119
    : movie_path D:\Thief2119\movies
    : install_path D:\Thief2119
    : language english
    : game_screen_size 1280 1024
    : game_screen_depth 32
    : game_screen_flags 45
    : game_full_screen 1
    : game_hardware 1
    : single_display_mode 3
    : ui_scale_mode 2
    : use_d3d_display
    : framerate_cap 100.0
    : SlowFrame 4
    : SlowFrameUI 10
    : force_32bit
    : force_32bit_textures
    : mipmap_mode 2
    : lm_mipmap_mode 0
    : lm_init_texmem 2
    : lm_filter_margin 1
    : disable_lightmap_aniso
    : tex_edge_padding 2
    : alpha_test_as_opaque
    : d3d_disp_enable_hdr 32
    : multisampletype 8
    : postprocess 1
    : d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx
    : sfx_device 1
    : sfx_channels 12
    : sfx_vol_music -474
    : sfx_vol_2d 0
    : sfx_vol_3d 0
    : game dark
    : obj_min -8192
    : obj_max 2400
    : max_refs 14000
    : gui_font intrface\smalfont
    : enhanced_sky 1
    : skip_intro
    : new_mantle
    : z_far 512
    : wr_render_zcomp
    : render_weapon_particles
    : legacy_force_match_unrefs 0
    : dark_zcomp_arm
    : edit_screen_size 1680, 1050
    : edit_screen_depth 16
    : Enumerating D3D9 adapters (2)...
    :    Adapter 0
    :       device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
    :       driver     : nvd3dum.dll
    :       descr      : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
    :       driver ver : 0x00090012-000D02B9
    :       vendor id  : 0x000010DE
    :       device id  : 0x000005E3
    :       subsys id  : 0x82E81043
    :       device guid: D7B71E3E-46A3-11CF-4A71-E5A21CC2
    :          1360 x 768 x 16
    :          1366 x 768 x 16
    :          1600 x 900 x 16
    :          1600 x 1200 x 16
    :          1680 x 1050 x 16
    :          1920 x 1080 x 16
    :          1920 x 1200 x 16
    :          1360 x 768 x 32
    :          1366 x 768 x 32
    :          1600 x 900 x 32
    :          1600 x 1200 x 32
    :          1680 x 1050 x 32
    :          1920 x 1080 x 32
    :          1920 x 1200 x 32
    :       Device Validation
    :          validated ok, device added (0, E390000)
    :    Adapter 1
    :       device name: \\.\DISPLAY2
    :       driver     : nvd3dum.dll
    :       descr      : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
    :       driver ver : 0x00090012-000D02B9
    :       vendor id  : 0x000010DE
    :       device id  : 0x000005E3
    :       subsys id  : 0x82E81043
    :       device guid: D7B71E3E-46A3-11CF-4A71-E5A21CC2
    :       Device Validation
    :          validated ok, device added (1, E390000)
    : Enumeration done
    : D3DProvider: Enumerating adapter 1 modes
    :    1280 x 1024 x 16
    :    640 x 480 x 16
    :    720 x 480 x 16
    :    720 x 576 x 16
    :    800 x 600 x 16
    :    1024 x 768 x 16
    :    1152 x 864 x 16
    :    1280 x 720 x 16
    :    1280 x 768 x 16
    :    1280 x 800 x 16
    :    1280 x 960 x 16
    :    1280 x 1024 x 32
    :    640 x 480 x 32
    :    720 x 480 x 32
    :    720 x 576 x 32
    :    800 x 600 x 32
    :    1024 x 768 x 32
    :    1152 x 864 x 32
    :    1280 x 720 x 32
    :    1280 x 768 x 32
    :    1280 x 800 x 32
    :    1280 x 960 x 32
    : D3DProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 1280x1024x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 0
    :    CreateDevice: res = D3D_OK ; 1280x1024 fmt=22 zfmt=75 cnt=2 ms=8 swap=1 fs=1 hz=0 pres=1 flags=2
    So for some reason, at the end it always enumerates adapter 1 modes (which is my secondary, 4:3 monitor), no matter what 'd3d_driver_index' command says. (I guess it refers to the same numbers of adapters/displays, as dumped in Thief2.txt file).

Boy that's out of my league. Let's hope that someone who knows more about this stops by.

I'm not sure if you noticed, given how buried it is, but there's actually a (source) patch to your font tool in the NewDark distro (it's in fonttools_aa256_patch.zip inside contrib_editor_demos.zip). The patched thieffon.exe seems to work fine, but the patched wfon.exe hangs for me when it tries to actually generate the bitmap, so that code probably needs some scrutiny.
    I thought I'd give this a try since I have the appropriate build environment set up to build this code (as I use GCC for NVScript.)
    In any case, it seems to work fine? I built wfon.exe and ran it; it asks me to select a font and options, and then saves it out to a bitmap, ready for conversion into Dark.

That's what it's supposed to do, isn't it? I'll admit I've never used this tool before, I only ever created fonts from manually-created font images (as all I ever did to fonts was edit existing ones.)

The only issue I had was that the program seemed to disappear for about 5 seconds when I pressed the "ok" button, but after that it came back and asked me where to save the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I thought I'd give this a try since I have the appropriate build environment set up to build this code (as I use GCC for NVScript.)
    In any case, it seems to work fine? I built wfon.exe and ran it; it asks me to select a font and options, and then saves it out to a bitmap, ready for conversion into Dark.

That's what it's supposed to do, isn't it? I'll admit I've never used this tool before, I only ever created fonts from manually-created font images (as all I ever did to fonts was edit existing ones.)

The only issue I had was that the program seemed to disappear for about 5 seconds when I pressed the "ok" button, but after that it came back and asked me where to save the image.
    Yes, that's the intended behavior. For me, it just sits at 100% CPU indefinitely after clicking OK. I built the patched version with MinGW from Linux, but had the same problem in both Linux and Windows 7, and the original code compiles and runs fine for me on both.

One other note for anyone working on wfon.exe is that the new HQ AA mode seems to have even more overlap of glyphs over their bounding boxes than the basic AA mode. It would be great if the BBs were accurate without manual adjustment, but I wouldn't wish anyone the requisite journey through the Windows drawing API.

That's strange.

I suppose you could try the version that I built and see if that does anything different.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 24th Mar 2013 at 09:44.

If you've got Gimp, I made a plug-in to do the same thing. Still doesn't get the boxes quite right, but they're drawn on a layer so you can tweak it before saving to BMP.

http://whoopdedo.org/font-pinkbox.py

Copy that to /.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/ then restart Gimp. Open the Font window and in that window's menu will be "Draw Pink Boxes" using the selected font.

(whoah, what the hell happened to this post? I swear, this BBS really hates Chrome.)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast