TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NewDark & Dromed : Tutorials & new features

L'architecte de Rocksbourg

NewDark & Dromed : Tutorials & new features

The idea of this thread is to create a list of all the new things and improvements this outstanding patch adds for us FM authors.

I think there are tons of new possibilities with this new dromed, and we'll discover them through trial & error. To have a list of features in the readme file is one thing, to actually build and create these is something else. Furthermore, it seems the interface has changed a little as well.

So, everytime you create or discover something new, I suggest you post in this thread an explanation, a tutorial or something the like, even a simple screenshot to show it. Then I'll link them in the main post. Share the knowledge taffers !

This way we should have a clear list of what's actually new for FM authors, new things to take in consideration when you build a FM 1.19.

First you should download a fixed dromed.exe, now the objects cast shadows from sunlight :
    DROMED V1.19 SUNLIGHT FIX

DROMED INTERFACE :
    - A tutorial by SneaksieGarrett
    - Full hardware rendering in the editor 3D view
    - Resizing the Dromed interface fields
    - Numpad works in dromed windows now
    - Making a list of all .bin files in your mission!

BRUSHES :
    - Possibility to create cylinders with 26 faces. (with the 3 cylinders trick we can have 52 sides ! )
    - Terrain Export Feature.
    - Room brushing improvements!

TEXTURES :
    - Supports high resolution textures (up to 4096x4096 16M according to readme file)
    - Supports GIF, PCX, TGA, PNG, DDS, PCX 32-bit, BMP 24/32-bit, TGA RLE as textures
    - Full.pcx not required anymore for brush textures
    - Supports DDS files (Thief 3 textures)
    - Uvmap_cylinder command forces a texture to tile around a cylinder
    - AlignExt feature
    - Terrain scale, an easy way to update existing textures with higher resolution ones
    - TxtRepl properties don't require the texture to be on a terrain brush or another object

LIGHTING :
    - Better rendering for lights and colors ingame
    - 3 different kinds of lightmaps : 16bit, 32bit & 32bit 2x
    - Coronas have new features : to follow moving objects, have spotlight cones, custom colors.

AI :
    - AIs cast shadows now

BOOKS :
    - Images in readables

PARTICLES :
    - Particle effects : Bitmap Disk Fire

INVENTORY :
    - New possibilities with the automap
    - PNG automaps

MISC :
    - Thief in 3D ! (This might interest fm authors)
    Last edited by DrK; 31st Mar 2013 at 18:42.

Full hardware rendering in the editor 3D view

Screenshot by Nameless Voice.

- Possibility to create cylinders with 26 faces top.
    - Supports DDS files (Thief 3 textures)

Screenshot by Le Malin 76.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    - Possibility to create cylinders with 26 faces top.
    And with the 3 cylinders trick we can get 52 sides!

We also have the uvmap_cylinder command, so we can force a texture to wrap around a cylinder, or tile it seamlessly. I tried this with an 8 sided cylinder, aligned by sides, with a wood panel texture. D&W: 4, H: 8. The uvmap values were Num U Tiles: 8, Num V Tiles: 1, everything else default. Try it with vicm09\vic36, or one of the other narrow textures.

--------------
    There's a list of new commands in doc\new_commands.txt. Well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    And with the 3 cylinders trick we can get 52 sides!

We also have the uvmap_cylinder command, so we can force a texture to wrap around a cylinder, or tile it seamlessly
    I need new pants... Oh boy this is gonna be so much fun.

Thiefmissions.com

With the possibility of dromed not being impossibly crashy, I'm actually thinking of picking it up to tinker a bit. I've never touched it before except to start it and look through the mass of menus.

It would be substantially awesome if some kind soul went through some of the basic tutorials and updated them for the new engine. I know the concepts are all the same but stuff like the new all-in-one build dialog would probably be useful to mention (if I'm even understanding what that part of the release notes is talking about).

ZylonBane
    Y'know, if whoever released these patches decides to continue their work, releasing a v1.20, v1.21, etc, this is going to result in a lot of confusing/misleading/obsolete thread titles.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    I might be dreaming this, but I had higher quality versions of my 256x256 textures on a completely different drive, and the new dromed recognized and used them instead automatically. As long as they have the same name.

Very quick, completely unpolished tutorial covering making a simple fire effect with the new Bitmap disk particle type and additive blending Particle effects - Bitmap Disk Fire.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Wow, how timely! I'm going to be trying to improve the flames in Codex tonight and will definitely check this out as a starting point. We're going to 1.19 for the mission so there's no reason not to make use of the new particle stuff.

I just discovered something amazing about ambient light in 1.19. I've been exploring the multiple ambient light settings and fog zones tonight and love it, maybe I'll write a tut for this thread on them eventually if no one beats me to it. But I wanted to report that ambient light is now truly granular over [0,255]. I discovered some time ago in 1.18 that taking any of the ambient RGB values below 8 actually drops it down to 0; effectively it rounded down to the next lower multiple of 8. So you couldn't have a really dark mission unless you wanted it pitch dark (ambient light set to (0,0,0)).

But 1.19 appears to honor all discrete values over the [0,255] interval without any rounding down (as you would expect in a higher res light map I guess). I just set ambient light to (3,1,7) in one area of Codex and it's beautifully dark and bluish, just as I wanted. A mission designed and built (or at least roombrushed) from scratch with this in mind will allow you to really control ambient light level between outdoor, indoor and underground areas and really heighten the atmosphere. Your tunnels and sewers can be really dark even if it's a daylight mission outside, for example. Rooms with windows can have higher ambient light than those without, as another example. But you gotta plan it all out before you start roombrushing or it's a lot of tedious rework. I'm moving Codex to 1.19 but I'm probably not going to do much in this area on it other than lowering ambient light in a couple of key underground areas which already have concrete roombrushes.

Cant believe i can now carve victorian textures in wall rather than drawing them first with gimp or something XD

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    observation 1: textures, no full.pcx required, loading 512x512 16M color bitmaps with no errors.

As I see high quality images can be used now for the menu elements, there are no more palettes as well.

bikerdude
    Thanks for the tut DrK, this will come in handy as I've been meaning to do a replica of the FM "The Library" in TDM for a while now (already got the authors permission etc). This will enable me to fly around inside the mission and see how it was done.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    observation 1: textures, no full.pcx required, loading 512x512 16M color bitmaps with no errors.
    I did the same last night with a 1024x1024 16M texture. I think the feature list said the max texture size is now 4096x4096.

ZylonBane
    It would appear that thrashing video memory even on modern cards is now something that we'll have to keep in mind. I might have to bite the bullet and start using DXT-compressed textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I did the same last night with a 1024x1024 16M texture. I think the feature list said the max texture size is now 4096x4096.
    I thought I'd finally quit the dromed bug....but it's...pulling me back in.... NOOOOO!!!

Thanks for your contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Y'know, if whoever released these patches decides to continue their work, releasing a v1.20, v1.21, etc, this is going to result in a lot of confusing/misleading/obsolete thread titles.
    I seriously doubt there will be other updates. Well this one came out of nowhere so who knows...
    I'll just change the title to v1.20 and such, and just add the newer elements. If we have a 1.20 version, I don't think fm authors will stick to 1.19.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    Wait, does this mean we don't need pcx textures anymore ? I mean, can we have any kind of pictures to work as textures ? JPEG, JPEG2, PNG, whatever
    Last edited by DrK; 28th Sep 2012 at 15:42.

Wait, does this mean we don't need pcx textures anymore ? I mean, can we have any kind of pictures to work as textures ? JPEG, JPEG2, PNG, whatever
    See the modders_notest.txt - that says it supports all the old formats (gif, pcx, tga) plus: PNG, DDS, PCX 32-bit, BMP 24/32-bit, TGA RLE. DXT can be used for textures in 3D views, but not 2D (look at the "DXT Texture Compression" section in the modders_notes.txt file)

You don't want to use jpeg for textures - the lossy compression introduces noticeable artifacts.

JPEG was just an example. I missed this part completely.

JPEG was just an example. I missed this part completely.
    Where's ZB when you need him. I want a tutorial on the positives and negatives of each format for us. I have no idea which format would be best under any set of circumstances, but based on some of his posts, I'll bet he could pontificate on the subject at the drop of a hat!
    Last edited by LarryG; 28th Sep 2012 at 17:33. Reason: grammar

ZylonBane
    JPEG isn't a supported format, so there's not much to pontificate upon there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    JPEG isn't a supported format, so there's not much to pontificate upon there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSCAstressedMan.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1238

No, not on jpg but on the others. I don't know why you would pick one format over another.

GIF, PCX, TGA, PNG, DDS, PCX 32-bit, BMP 24/32-bit, TGA RLE, DXT

DrK : here's another one to put under Dromed Interface:
    Resizing the Dromed interface fields

I“ve tried to use my new hd dds textures in Thief Gold! It doesn“t work with 1.19 exe. For example "b07.pcx" in "fam/bafford". Where to put the dds file "b07.dds"? I thought in the "mods" folder but it didn“t work! And then i have to add a line with "mod_path...." in the "cam_mod.ini"? I“m confused. Please help me! With a example THX!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast