TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenAL and EAX in Thief Deadly Shadows?

The question is that I cannot find this driver anywhere in internet. Its name is Realtek_XFi_MB_R221.exe
    Thanks for your effort, sweetie ;*

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
    @Linda, I guess its entirely possible that you need a specific driver version for the RT card for the Universal Alchemy to work.

If all else fails then check your PM as I have both an Audigy 2 and an Xfi going cheap.
    Is there any possibility to try those drivers before buying a new soundcard? I can't find them anywhere...

bikerdude

Realtec drivers with built in Xfi software

Well I'll be, there is an actual modded Realtek driver that comes with EAX and other Xfi supported features - http://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=122210

Credit goes to someone called Gamespirit for the instructions below -

Introduction:

This tutorial describes how to unlock the onboard Realtek ALC chip's locked features and to use Creative X-FI MB software without a creative soundcard, with onboard Realtek audio chip.
    These features include Dolby Advanced Audio v2, SRS Premium, Sonic Focus, DTS, THX Pro Studio, etc. Additionally, fetures such as Crystalizer, EAX Effects, X-Fi CMSS 3D, SVM, etc can me made available via Creative's X-Fi MD 2 software.
    Please note that these features will depend on which Realtek chip you have onboard (steps on how to check this is provided below). On my ALC 892, I got SRS Premium, Dolby Advanced v2, DTS for playback and Andrea microphone enhancement for recording.

System Requirements:

Supported OS: Windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported)

Supported Chips (as mentioned at the source): ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC887, ALC888, ALC889, ALC892, ALC861VC, ALC861VD, ALC660, ALC662, ALC663, ALC665, ALC680, ALC260, ALC262, ALC267, ALC268, ALC270, ALC272, ALC273, ALC670, ALC275, ALC233, ALC284, ALC286, ALC292, ALC383, ALC668, ALC900

NOTE: the features unlocked will purely depend on the chip you have.

How to check onboard chip version:

To check which Realtek chip you have onboard, follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel and open 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'.
    2. In Realtek HD Audio Manager, click the 'i' button at the bottom-right corner.
    3. In the windows that opens, check the text written with 'Audio Codec' (eg. ALC892, 896), this is your onboard Realtek chip version. Only ALC chips are supported by this mod.

Stuff to download:

> Modded realtek drivers.
    > Creative X-FI MBII software

I have uploaded a copy of the required files to my Mega drive

Steps to install modded drivers:

For Windows 8 users -
    1. users need to disable "driver signature enforcement". Steps to do the same are below:
    2. Open charms bar by pressing "Win + c".
    3. Select Settings > Change PC Settings > General.
    4. Click on "Restart now".
    5. Select Troubleshooting > Advanced > Startup Settings > Restart.
    6. Press 7 or F7 when prompted to disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

Then do the following -
    1. Extract the downloaded driver file.
    2. Run Setup.exe from the extracted location.
    3. The installer will ask to uninstall current audio drivers, allow it to do so. Reboot when prompted.
    4. After reboot, the modded driver installation will continue. Allow it to do so.
    5. If you get any warning about lack of digital signature by driver or something related to identity not verified, then select "Install anyways" to allow the installer to install modded drivers.
    6. Reboot when prompted.
    7. You are done.

NOTE: the features unlocked will purely depend on the chip you have.

Steps to use Creative X-FI MB II software:

1. Extract the downloaded creative software file.
    2. Run "setup.exe" from the extracted location.
    3. COmplete the installation. DO NOT RUN THE SOFTWARE NOW. Ignore any warnings about audio chip not supported.
    4. Boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Extract "Activator.7z" and run the activation file. this will allow to run Creative X-FI software on onboard Realtek chip.
    6. reebo normally.
    7. Enjoy.

Note: please make sure you use only 48 KHz as the default sound format, there may be playback problems above 48 KHz.

SRS Effect can be found in Realtek control panel. Other effects like SonicFocus, Dolby, DTS etc can be found under specific playback device settings. Steps to reach there are below:

• Right click on volume icon in taskbar.
    • Click on "Playback Devices".
    • Double-click on the playback device you use, eg. speaker , headphones or digital audio.
    • Then you should find all the unlocked effects etc.

Job done
    Last edited by bikerdude; 13th Jul 2014 at 20:16.

No, the audio is very messy, something wet, and the EAX is not working with the alchemy universal... I guess I'm going to buy a new soundcard...

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    No, the audio is very messy, something wet, and the EAX is not working with the alchemy universal... I guess I'm going to buy a new soundcard...
    Ok well you have the details of the audigy2 & Xfi cards I have, the Audigy2 would wipe the floor with the Realtek even though its a very old card.

I already have an audigy 2 ZS but is not compatibile with my mother board. I have to find one compatible.

bikerdude
    I already have an audigy 2 ZS but is not compatibile with my mother board.
    Ah yes I forgot the GA-Z87X-OC FORCE dosent have any PCI slots, only PCI-E. Well in that case then -

- Sound blaster Audigy FX - 20 Only suports EAX 4.0, 5.1 surround and uses a Realtek & Creative chip - I wouldnt waste your money on this
    or
    - Soundblaster Xfi Titainium @ 29 - Supports EAX 5.0 & 7.1 surround
    or
    - Sound Blaster Z @ 49 - Supports EAX 5.0 & 7.1 surround and is the best of the bunch.

Avoid the Xtreme audio card as its not actually a creative card(a bit like the Audigy FX above), but rather a some generic p.o.s. with a creative name on it.
    Last edited by bikerdude; 14th Jul 2014 at 17:09.

Ah yes I forgot the GA-Z87X-OC FORCE dosent have any PCI slots, only PCI-E. Well in that case then -

- Sound blaster Audigy FX - 20 Only suports EAX 4.0, 5.1 surround and uses a Realtek & Creative chip - I wouldnt waste your money on this
    or
    or
    - Sound Blaster Z @ 49 - Supports EAX 5.0 & 7.1 surround and is the best of the bunch.

Avoid the Xtreme audio card as its not actually a creative card(a bit like the Audigy FX above), but rather a some generic p.o.s. with a creative name on it.
    The sounb blaster z doest not work with our beloved game (read as EAX), Titanium neither, I guess the only solution is Sound blaster Audigy FX but yet I'm not sure it is connectable with my mother board.

bikerdude
    The sounb blaster z doest not work with our beloved game (read as EAX), Titanium neither, I guess the only solution is Sound blaster Audigy FX but yet I'm not sure it is connectable with my mother board.
    IT DOES, I have had both the Xfi xtreme music (same chip as the titainium) and I am running the Soundblaster Z now. I have played T3 and had EAX working with both cards under win7.

All three card I listed above are PCI-E x1 so will working any of the PCI-E x4 slots you have on the top end motherboard.

:-/

IT DOES, I have had both the Xfi xtreme music (same chip as the titainium) and I am running the Soundblaster Z now. I have played T3 and had EAX working with both cards under win7.

All three card I listed above are PCI-E x1 so will working any of the PCI-E x4 slots you have on the top end motherboard.

:-/
    OK, don't worry, I'll buy one thank you for your collaboration

New card is arriving, darling ;-* thanks. I've bought a SoundBlaster Z let's see if tomorrow it's already here.

Work with ALC 898

are you sure???? O_o let's give it a try...

hmm you mean the alchemy version or the realtek chipset?
    Last edited by Linda; 23rd Jul 2014 at 20:26. Reason: update

Card arrived and installed. Yes, it works!! if it wasn't for you, bikerdude ;-* Thank you.

bikerdude
    Card arrived and installed. Yes, it works!! if it wasn't for you, bikerdude ;-* Thank you.
    Your welcome.

or
    or

For future reference, the Soundblaster Z has 5.1 capabilities, not 7.1...and although both the X-FI Titanium and the SBZ share EAX 5.0, the SBZ utilizes SBX, rather than the superior CMSS-3D for positional audio. To be clear, the SBZ has a slightly better DAC on card, and also sports a dedicated headphone out (in place of channels 6/7).

The ideal solution is to get a Titanium, in order to reap the benefit of the superior CMSS-3D postional audio, and to route the processed output via the optical S/PDIF to an audiophile-grade DAC/headphone amplifier...or like myself, to a pro audio interface.
    Last edited by Vae; 26th Jul 2014 at 05:10.

Administrator
    If you're not using a separate digital amplifier then the Z should be the better option for sound quality and although CMSS-3D has the edge for positonal audio it also has some trade-offs with sound and works best with certain headphones.

I would say the Z is best if you are using speakers or wanting the best sound quality straight from the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    If you're not using a separate digital amplifier then the Z should be the better option for sound quality
    Like I said, the DAC is slightly better on the Z...but keep in mind that the Titanium has a very good DAC, as well...In fact, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the T and the Z.

and although CMSS-3D has the edge for positonal audio it also has some trade-offs with sound and works best with certain headphones.
    I own and have tested both cards with a variety of headphones, both open and closed, and can assure anyone that the CMSS-3D will sound good on either, if the proper adjustment is made...The benefit of open headphones is they provide a larger soundstage, yet the lower frequency response is reduced due to the lack of encapsulation. To remedy this, simply EQ the difference for a fuller bass response. Once properly adjusted, CMSS-3D actually sounds better on an open headphone, due to the larger, spacial soundstage.

I would say the Z is best if you are using speakers or wanting the best sound quality straight from the card.
    I would suggest this:

- If you primarily care about positional audio with games, then go with the Titanium and use headphones...regardless of whether or not you have an external DAC. (Titanium's on-board DAC sounds good)
    - If you primarily care about sound for cinema/music and/or need something for an HTPC, then go for the Z, with headphones being optional. (SBX works very well for Virtual Surround Sound cinema)

Basically, if you want to use positional audio in games, get the Titanium...If that's not your top priority, get the Z.

Administrator
    Out of interest do you have the HD version of the Titanium?

No, I have the Titanium fatal1ty. (Same DAC as the standard Titanium, just with shielding and extra x-ram that only a few games utilize)

Administrator
    Thanks. I'll be getting a new card at some stage so wanted to consider the options. Other comparisons seem to rate the Z above the non-HD Titanium for audio so I was interested in which one you had.

Here, this video demonstrates the audio quality and spacial differences between the Soundblaster Z, X-Fi Titanium, Razer Surround, Xonar DGX, onboard audio....Use headphones...

Administrator
    That's a useful comparison. Possibly because of the way the guy has his EQ is set up it loses something at the low end with the CMSS vs SBX but it's hard to be completely fair as it's not a blind test and the game scenes are not the same after the quick test. However to my ears both are far superior to the other audio options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12