TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon texture packs?

Moderator and Priest
    Just a few moments ago, I came to remember how we've been discussing, at lengthy, about adhering to the original textures as closely as possible. We've argued over color, proportions, themes, intentions. It's gone on. Then I realized that I've spent the last few days working on a texture that doesn't exactly adhere to any of the above mentioned.

...I dunno why, but I have this feeling, a portent maybe, that huge amounts of crushing disappointment are going to be figuring big in my future.

I'm kinda scared.

Also, anyone got a good link for some Keeper glyphs?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    LarryG: Those images you posted look funky on my screen (1360x768). A strange pattern is going down the screen, literally.
    Not my images. I just re-posted Dolphin's image multiple times to show the tiling issues.

Just for fun, I took the stucco image from Mines (not the one from Core2 that Dolphin worked with) and played around a little at 1024x1024. Left - right tiling is OK but up-down still needs a little work.

Original - - - New
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STUCCO.GIF 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	1387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stucco64.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	1388

Name:	STUCCO.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	1389Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1389

ID:	1389Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1389

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Just a few moments ago, I came to remember how we've been discussing, at lengthy, about adhering to the original textures as closely as possible. We've argued over color, proportions, themes, intentions. It's gone on. Then I realized that I've spent the last few days working on a texture that doesn't exactly adhere to any of the above mentioned.

...I dunno why, but I have this feeling, a portent maybe, that huge amounts of crushing disappointment are going to be figuring big in my future.

I'm kinda scared.
    Well, then don't submit it as a candidate texture for the NewDark Texture Enhancement Pack Restoration Project...

Also, anyone got a good link for some Keeper glyphs?
    Larry has created an excellent...Glyphs Resource Package.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Well, then don't submit it as a candidate texture for the NewDark Texture Enhancement Pack Restoration Project...
    After all the work I've put into it, you damn well better believe I won't only be submitting it, I'll be expecting you all to take it.

...speaking of which, I'm just about done with the vast majority of it. Besides the broken bookshelf bit, tweaking and detailing is about all that's left. Steel yourself for harassment.

Larry has created an excellent...Glyphs Resource Package.
    Excellent, thanks! I dunno if it'll fit in with the original texture so much, but since it's a Keeper bookshelf, I thought it'd be interesting to cover some bits and pieces of it with glyph engravings. I'll show it off later on tonight, and get some opinions on it.

After all the work I've put into it, you damn well better believe I won't only be submitting it, I'll be expecting you all to take it.
    We'll see about that...

Excellent, thanks! I dunno if it'll fit in with the original texture so much, but since it's a Keeper bookshelf, I thought it'd be interesting to cover some bits and pieces of it with glyph engravings. I'll show it off later on tonight, and get some opinions on it.
    We'll be waiting for you...

After fussing with the STUCCO texture a bit, I decided to have a look at the original, and, what do you know, the tiling problem is there too. That's where it came from. My texture is faithful down to having the same bad up-down tiling issue.

Name:	Oops.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	1391

I think I should get rid of the problem in the high resolution version, don't you think?

Moderator and Priest
    We'll be waiting for you...
    I'll show off a quick preview, since I hit some random button in PS that futzed up my hotkeys, and can't do anything else until I get it fixed...

Here

I'm beginning to think this might be something better added into an extras set. Who knows how many people have used the keeper set for, say, an old abandoned Hammerite library. Having glyphs there might look a little off theme.

Does look neat, though. I think I remember the Keeper bookshelves in TDS having something similar.

I'm beginning to think this might be something better added into an extras set.
    Yep...The glyph-trimmed version is a welcomed extra, but not as a restoration/Hi-Rez simulation candidate.

ZylonBane
    All those overhanging books makes it looks like the bookshelf is about four inches deep.

Moderator and Priest
    ...or they're placed on the shelves haphazardly. Which, considering it's an old neglected bookshelf, isn't too out of theme.

I can change that fairly easily, make it so only a couple are hanging off the shelf. Thing is, I kinda like the variety it gives to the texture.

I agree with ZB, the shelves are too shallow...Fix it!...

Moderator and Priest
    There ain't no pleasing you people.

Alright, don't think it'll look as good, but I'll change them. I'm doing the broken shelf right now. Once it and the books above it are done, the base texture is complete. I'll post it for approval, then doing the final grunging up and color tweaks.

I'm also thinking about uploading the bare shelf with the group structure complete along with my book sheet. Kind of as a make-your-own-bookshelf kit. I'm hoping that if I do this, you'll all do my work for me on the next couple. :P

I agree with ZB, the shelves are too shallow...Fix it!...
    Yep. Too many overhang. Also the glyphs don;t belong on a replacement texture. The books are just in the Keeper family, they are not exclusively Keeper, in fact they aren't used in any OM for a Keeper area that I can think of.

Also remember there is a book switch which needs to be able to be put on a bookcase without looking like it doesn't belong. You may want to re texture that object to fit in.

Mine/Stucco. Better.

Name:	STUCCO.GIF 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	1398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stucco64.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	1399

Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	1400Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1400

ID:	1400Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1400

or is this better?

Name:	STUCCO2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	1401Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1401

ID:	1401Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1401
    Last edited by LarryG; 20th Oct 2012 at 23:44.

Moderator and Priest

Pushed most of the books back into the shelf, and took away the glyphs (tragically). The broken shelf looks a little weird. I shouldn't have tried following the proportions of the original so closely, because my shelves are a bit thicker due to the addition of perspective. But...there it is. Opinion away.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Oct 2012 at 23:53.

Looks pretty good. Can you show a side by side with the original? You still have the cobwebs to do, yes? That broken shelf always looked weird. It doesn't look like where a shelf would really break, especially since the shelves are so thick. The original had thinner shelves, no?

Also IIRC the original is more of a blue-grey tint and yours is more brown.
    Last edited by LarryG; 20th Oct 2012 at 23:59. Reason: spelling

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. The cobwebs are all that's left. And that shelf? I'm just gonna assume someone hit it with a hammer at some point. Either that, or maybe draw in some stress fractures elsewhere on the shelves to make it look like it could crack like that.

I posted the original up above, by the way. As you can see, I tried following the general layout of the books, but didn't stick directly to the colors. I could've made the books blue, but then they looked ugly as hell. I figured going with the spirit rather than the letter would've netted me better results.

@Larry

Both look much better...and both look very similar to each other. Hard to say which one I prefer.

@Ren

Way better...That really looks good now.

One little thing I noticed, though...as far as the "floating book" thing goes, if you make sure to have a diffused shadow that extends slightly onto the front trim (like the one on the book on the left, second shelf) for all the books that stick out, instead of the black bar right beneath a book, you'll avoid the "floating book" effect...Also, the broken shelf piece is thicker than the rest of the shelf.

Name:	KBOOKCA03orig.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KBOOKCA03.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	1403

It's not the individual colors of the books that bothers me, it's the difference of hue. To be a drop-in replacement the tint --the mood -- of the texture needs to be preserved. Maybe some of that will happen with the cobwebs. Maybe a layer of fine dust will do it. Also right now the texture is pretty monochrome brown when it needs to be blue-grey with occasional red, green, brown and white books. The exact placement is less important than the variety.

I agree 100%...It needs to have that blue-gray tint, in order to preserve the mood.

Also, that left book on the broken piece should be laying against the right one.

Moderator and Priest

Way better...That really looks good now.

One little thing I noticed, though...as far as the "floating book" thing goes, if you make sure to have a diffused shadow that extends slightly onto the front trim (like the one on the book on the left, second shelf) for all the books that stick out, instead of the black bar right beneath a book, you'll avoid the "floating book" effect...Also, the broken shelf piece is thicker than the rest of the shelf.
    The thing about that is if you make the shadow any less transparent than what it currently is, you barely notice it's there. Plus with the wood beneath being so multishaded, some shadows will stand out more than others. It's why I went with the almost opaque shadows. To me, it looked better overall.

Larry, I can match the wood and give the whole thing a bluish tint, but I won't be able to match the hue of the books without redoing the whole thing from scratch. I tried matching the books to the original, shape and all, in my first attempt, and the results, as you saw, weren't all that good. I can oversaturate things a bit, but it'll always be red and white books, rather than blue and white.

edit: I take that back. I might be able to change the colors of the red and brown books to blue. Dunno how good it'll look, but I'll take a stab at it.

edit 2: How's that? It washed out the colors a bit, but it's now a much closer match to the original.

Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Oct 2012 at 00:42.

The thing about that is if you make the shadow any less transparent than what it currently is, you barely notice it's there. Plus with the wood beneath being so multishaded, some shadows will stand out more than others. It's why I went with the almost opaque shadows. To me, it looked better overall.
    Okay, I was kind of being nit-picky about that anyway.

The colder blue-gray tint helps capture the original feel, rather than the warmer green-brown.

To reiterate about the broken shelf:

1) Is it me, or does that broken piece look thicker than the rest of the shelf?

2) The left book on the broken piece should be laying against the right one.

EDIT:

edit: I take that back. I might be able to change the colors of the red and brown books to blue. Dunno how good it'll look, but I'll take a stab at it.

edit 2: How's that? It washed out the colors a bit, but it's now a much closer match to the original.
    I'm sure everyone will agree that's much more like the original feel...much better. The front of the bookshelf should be darker though, and less blue.
    Last edited by Vae; 21st Oct 2012 at 00:49.

Moderator and Priest

1) Is it me, or does that broken piece look thicker than the rest of the shelf?

2) The left book on the broken piece should be laying against the right one.
    Check out the first shot above. I made the break look a little more natural, thinned up the board a bit, and moved the books around slightly. It's back to the original colors, but that's because I'm editing the source, rather than a collapsed TGA.

I'm sure everyone will agree that's much more like the original feel...much better. The front of the bookshelf should be darker though, and less blue.
    It's kinda ugly to me. Looks too cartoony. Then again, I usually tend towards undersaturated and high contrasty stuff, so it's probably just personal taste.

edit: Try this...

Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Oct 2012 at 01:30.

Check out the first shot above. I made the break look a little more natural, thinned up the board a bit, and moved the books around slightly. It's back to the original colors, but that's because I'm editing the source, rather than a collapsed TGA.
    The "break" looks better and more natural...Board thickness, now looks right...That left book should still fall over against the right one (how could it not?)...maybe even the one the left of that should as well.

It's kinda ugly to me. Looks too cartoony. Then again, I usually tend towards undersaturated and high contrasty stuff, so it's probably just personal taste.
    Taste aside, it captures a lot more of the original feel than the warmer, more monochromatic look...Just darken and de-bluify the wood on the front of the bookcase. Also, it's appropriate to preserve that subtle sense of surreality for THIEF, rather than making things complete 100% Earth look-a-likes.
    Last edited by Vae; 21st Oct 2012 at 01:13.

Moderator and Priest
    That left book should still fall over against the right one (how could it not?)
    ...the bottoms of the two books to the left and right of it are exerting enough pressure to keep it held in place? I dunno. I'll change it here in a bit. :P

Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540455055 ... LastLast