TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126313641465156 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon texture packs?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    edit: Try this...

Books looks right, now...broken section finished...

Wood looks good...Books need more bluish tint.
    Last edited by Vae; 21st Oct 2012 at 02:10.

Maybe that stack of orangey books should be red like the original? The orange draws too much attention I think. And can you make the shelves thinner, more like in the original? That would give a touch more headroom for the books and make the breaking of the shelf more reasonable. You made the broken piece the same length as the original, but it seems shorter because the shelf seems thicker . . . But, damn, you are getting there! Each iteration is better.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Maybe that stack of orangey books should be red like the original? The orange draws too much attention I think.
    I agree, it should be darker red.

You made the broken piece the same length as the original, but it seems shorter because the shelf seems thicker
    Are you saying the previous broken piece was the right thickness?...I think it looks perfect now.

. . . But, damn, you are getting there! Each iteration is better.
    Yes, it's looking mighty good, Ren!...It's almost cobweb time.

Moderator and Priest
    Maybe that stack of orangey books should be red like the original? The orange draws too much attention I think. And can you make the shelves thinner, more like in the original? That would give a touch more headroom for the books and make the breaking of the shelf more reasonable. You made the broken piece the same length as the original, but it seems shorter because the shelf seems thicker . . . But, damn, you are getting there! Each iteration is better.
    I can change the colors easily enough, but resizing all those boards closer to the original would mean I'd have to get rid of the depth effect. The reason they look thicker is because of those inner lips, as the front facing pieces are about the same size as they are in the original, plus or minus a few stray pixels. The only way I can make them look thinner is to make them look flat.

It's doable, but it's not something I'd want to do unless I have absolutely no other choice. If you can, check it out ingame and see how it looks there before deciding if I need to do major surgery on the thing.

edit: This'll show you what I mean...

There are a couple of boards in there that are a little thicker, but not by all that much.

The reason why the boards look thicker, is because there is a lot of light gray in them in comparison to the predominately dark gray/black of the original texture...This makes them stand out more...You can avoid "major surgery" this way, just by appropriately darkening the boards.

Moderator and Priest
    Maybe. I'll give it a go, and see how it turns out tomorrow.

...but I'm thinking it won't do too much, because the biggest part that makes it look thicker are those new edges. They don't exist in the original, so no matter what I do to the colors, it'll always be thicker at a glance.

See? I can taking out some of the color differentiation to make it look more like the original. But if I do too much, I lose the highlights and 3D effect.

edit: I will tell you what is thicker: my middle posts, and by quite a bit. I'll fix that up pretty quick tomorrow, too.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Oct 2012 at 04:16.

Okay...Good work tonight, Ren...I'll see you tomorrow...

Moderator and Priest
    Later, man! o/

In the meantime, everyone else keep throwing criticisms my way, and I'll try to find yet more excuses to worm my way out of doing more work.

Moderator and Priest
    Mine/Stucco. Better.

or is this better?
    Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I'd go with the bottom one. The green blends in better, and looks more like a stain on a stucco wall. The top one looks more like moss.

Looks pretty good. Can you show a side by side with the original?
    Don't forget about my comparer: http://nameless.zanity.net/epterrain...elf_tint_2.jpg

Also, bear in mind that the exact same texture (without the cobwebs) shows up in the Rescore (Rescor_1 in T2) family, too.

IIRC, that Keeper variant was used in the Keeper Shrine in THC.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 21st Oct 2012 at 07:17.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    That one also doesn't have the broken shelf. But it looks like Renz will be able to make it from his Keeper shelf with not too much work.

Maybe. I'll give it a go, and see how it turns out tomorrow.

...but I'm thinking it won't do too much, because the biggest part that makes it look thicker are those new edges. They don't exist in the original, so no matter what I do to the colors, it'll always be thicker at a glance.

See? I can taking out some of the color differentiation to make it look more like the original. But if I do too much, I lose the highlights and 3D effect.

edit: I will tell you what is thicker: my middle posts, and by quite a bit. I'll fix that up pretty quick tomorrow, too.
    I think that the shelf thickness issue is that you aren't considering the 3D effect as part of the shelf end, where to me it looks like the shelf end has been routed giving it a rounded-over edge. That enhances the 3D, but the part that is still flat, is too wide. I think the rounding over should remain, just the flat part shouldn't be as thick. If the books aren't overlapping the rounder over bit, then they are on top of it, and it is perceived as part of the shelf, and not a perspective of the shelf top. The perceived thickness is between the green lines, not the red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	effective depth.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	1422
    Last edited by LarryG; 21st Oct 2012 at 11:51.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm thinking it might look a little goofy if I make the front facing boards too thin. If I go too far, they'll look too spindly, like they're not able to support the weight of the books.

I'll edit out a couple of boards and see how it goes.

update: first quick attempt:

I thinned out the front board, and cut down on the bevel to compensate. Once I get the bottom edge, it'll be roughly as thick as the source.

As you can see, it kills the depth. With the books back on there, it's barely even noticeable. If anything, the depth bevel is now a glorified highlight.

Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Oct 2012 at 16:10.

Narrow the shelf a bit more and don't cut down on the bevel quite so much, and I think you will have it. Take a look at the thickness of the shelving in ZB's post. Shelves don't need to be thick, especially if they aren't all that long. This is real wood we are dealing with here, not plywood.

Moderator and Priest

I could cut down on the bevel a little more, but...eeehhhh. Those shelves are now spindly. They look more slanted now if anything.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Oct 2012 at 16:39.

I think the reason you think the shelf looks spindly is because you view the image as showing the top and bottom of the shelf going all the way back to the back of the bookcase as well as the front. Given the face on view, it really can't do that (or ever show both!). Take a look at the section I circled. Now hold your hand over it so that you can just see the shelf. All of a sudden you are not seeing the shelf top and bottom, but instead a rounded over front of the shelf! I think that if you quit trying to show the top and bottom of the shelves and settle for a little dimensionality in the face of the shelf edge, as you have done with shading, I think you will quit thinking that the shelf looks spindly and start admiring what a great job you did giving depth to the shelf!

Name:	effective depth2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	746.3 KB 
ID:	1423

I did a quick and dirty fix to that circled section to show you what I mean.

Name:	effective depth3.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	746.3 KB 
ID:	1424

Edit: And, yeah, well, I'm saying that I was wrong before. Sorry.
    Last edited by LarryG; 21st Oct 2012 at 17:54.

Moderator and Priest
    ...wish you used a bigger picture. :P

Okay, if I'm following you here (and I'm probably not. I went to bed late last night and got up way too early), you're saying that I should make it look like it's being viewed more from a slightly higher up, angled down perspective, so you see more of the shelf the books sit on, and the upper lip acting more like a rounded bevel?

That could work, though I want to posit one thing before I start hacking away. See, you're looking at the texture as it compares to the original, crunched down from 1024x to 256x. That's all well and good for comparison, but you have to think that these larger textures give you much more room to add in detail. What you couldn't see before, you can see now. like the grouting in that first texture we both did a few pages back. With more detail, I can add in the depth effect. You see it on the high res texture, it doesn't look like the boards are that much thicker than the original, there's just more going on behind them.

The problem comes up during the downsizing, where those dozens of pixels of extra detail becomes 1 or 2 extra pixels on top of the original thickness. What looks somewhat similar but more detailed on the larger texture, translates to thicker boards on the smaller.

I'll change it if I really need to, but right now, my vote is it looks pretty alright as is because of what I said above.

That, and I've been working on this texture for way too long now, and I'm kinda getting tired of it. :P

edit: eh, you know what. I might as well just try it. I'll have to redo the entire inner section, since I collapsed a few layers too many, but it won't be that hard to do. I'm gonna take a nap, and I'll give it a go later tonight.

No. That's not what I was saying. Click on the image above with the green circle, the cycle between PREV and LAST and you'll see what I did. I transformed what was a perspective view of the bottom of the shelf into an edge on view of the front of the shelf.

Moderator and Priest
    Whoa. I can click them and make them big! Sorry, man. Like I said, I'm wore out over here. I'll have you something later on tonight.

ZylonBane
    It's like Larry and Renz have some sort of sado-masochism thing going on.

I think it's a healthy kind of love...Probably best to let them work it out by themselves...

Moderator and Priest
    It started out innocently enough. I saw an ad in the classifieds...

"texture artists needed. must submit"

...and thought it might be fun. Oh, what a fool I was.

At first it was easy. Move that pixel there. Those colors are wrong. Tweak that highlight. Those shadows are OFF, FOOL!

Then it escalated. Went down dark avenues of the soul I never thought traversable.

Now I'm making regular trips emergency room, telling the doctors I keep falling on doorknobs. Doorknobs are apparently a weakness of mine. My kryptonite. That's what I tell them. This is the third time I've been here this week. I don't think they'll be buying it for much longer.

Every pixel I move now is a silent cry for help. I'm doing a bookshelf now. It has to be perfect. I think this one will be the end of me.

Send help.

Moderator and Priest
    Okay...here goes...

Pre color tweaked redux

I'm publishing a memoir of my experiences. It's called "50 Days of Bookshelf".

Yeah, that's the right board thickness...although, that broken piece is too thick now.

I'm publishing a memoir of my experiences. It's called "50 Days of Bookshelf".
    50 days of bookshelf, with a lifetime of rewards...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Yeah, that's the right board thickness...although, that broken piece is too thick now.
    Which is easily fixed, since that board is only one piece. Plus, I compared it to the original using NV's website, and found it's fairly close. My boards are still a tiny bit thicker, but overall not too bad. The middle pieces still need a bit of fixing, but that's just a few seconds worth of work to do.

At the very, very least, this whole exercise has been great for practice. Also for finding out just how much patience I have. :P

50 days of bookshelf, with a lifetime of rewards...
    At the rate we're going, it'll take a lifetime to finish this up. What happened to everyone else doing this?

Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126313641465156 ... LastLast