TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon texture packs?

I certainly agree about palbasic.

Short of just removing them from the package, I'm not really sure what to do about these "not-close-enough" textures which I didn't make.

Zombified
    woah. how the heck did I miss this. downloading now.

split to a separate topic & sticky, seriously.

Zombified
    ok, ran around a bit, and definitely agree with this;
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    fam\core_1\cracked is meant to be a rough cracked stone texture, rather than peeling paint.
    also, as not all textures are updated just yet, there are quite a few places where lowres and hires textures are right next to each other, which looks just bad, but that's no news I guess.

Yes, that's a good point. Could you please make the missing textures so I can add them to the pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Yes, that's a good point. Could you please make the missing textures so I can add them to the pack?

Zombified
    I assume you are being sarcastic, but anyway - no, as I'm completely and utterly incapable of creating anything new. I can only take what already exists and rearrange it - that's why I never refer to myself as "modder" as that includes the ability to create content, at least in my vocabulary. I only tinker with stuff, nothing less, nothing more.

Yeah, I wasn't quite being serious.

And I'm a bit the same. I'm not really that good at making textures, I mostly just mess around with things I downloaded from cgtextures and other sources. I can edit photos into textures, but I'm not that good at making things from scratch. I think mostly because I don't have the patience.

I'm still trying to hand this project over to people who are better artists and are more motivated to finish it than I am.

post # 666 \m/

Hey guys awesome work, I am simply floored by all the dedication on this site.

It took me almost a month just to read this whole thread as I dont have internet at home. BUT I DEFINITELY WANT TO HELP. I am trying to acquire photoshop. But if anyone knows a free-ish alternative that would be nice. And maybe a simple texture to get started since i have never done this before.

Awesome, Thanks Voodoo, I will be checking that out tonight

And reading up tomorrow on how to find/extract/replace the textures; I have working installs of TG and T2 (vanilla and new dark) for which I owe this community a tremendous debt of gratitude

And I owe a particular thanks to you Voodoo for the Tfix and all the time you spent supporting it on the forums... It worked so well that it almost took the fun out of it...ALMOST

This feels a bit odd, after all I am talking to TTLG Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Blonde778 View Post
    It took me almost a month just to read this whole thread as I dont have internet at home. BUT I DEFINITELY WANT TO HELP. I am trying to acquire photoshop. But if anyone knows a free-ish alternative that would be nice. And maybe a simple texture to get started since i have never done this before.

Adobe CS2 downloads

Straight from Adobe. Their site does like to tell you that it's an old version and no longer supported, and that you should only download it if you already own a licence for it, but there's nothing that actually forbids you from doing so.
    I'd consider this to be a free, legal version of Photoshop.
    CS2 may be a little dated, but it works just fine, and I made a lot of the EP textures with it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Blonde778 View Post
    ...i have never done this before.
    Then, to be blunt, anything you produce will probably be too terrible to use. Mod projects aren't an "everyone gets a gold star" type of activity, like many seem to believe. The standard of quality for graphical mods tends to actually be quite high.

hey guys im realy interested in helping out (following this thread for some months now : D )
    but im not sure which files to replace (i guess textures inside "fam" is for specific missions and the "obj" ones are overall?)
    also ive noticed that some files have different pixel aspect ratios o.0 can i just go and replace them with 1:1 aspect ratio files?
    file format .png or .pcx?
    and the last question: are there any configuration files that i need to be aware off?

btw im not new to the whole texturing stuff im the guy running the thief minecraft texturepack^^

Zombified
    fam are world textures (walls, grass etc), obj are object textures (trees, pots etc). always keep the aspect ratio of the original textures. stick to png. and remember, non-power of two sizes are not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    fam are world textures (walls, grass etc), obj are object textures (trees, pots etc). always keep the aspect ratio of the original textures. stick to png. and remember, non-power of two sizes are not supported.
    great thanks

If by "pixel aspect ratio" you mean the way that Photoshop has a weird habit of squishing up non-square PCX images to be square, ignore that and turn off the pixel aspect ratio option. (Untick View->Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction)
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 8th May 2013 at 05:35.

I just now d/l the EP so I'll check it out today!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    but im not sure which files to replace (i guess textures inside "fam" is for specific missions and the "obj" ones are overall?)
    As a historical note, "FAM" is short for "family". In the original version of the engine, texture families were created with 256-color textures, each family using a common optimized palette to save memory (in fact there was a hard cap on how many unique palettes could be loaded). So all the textures in each FAM subfolder should be palettized to the same palette, and will be displayed in-game using the palette of "FULL.PCX".

In NewDark though, as already mentioned, just use truecolor PNG for everything. Palettes are no longer a concern.

I have a ton of new paintings in my new FM that were saved as TGA and they look awesome ingame. If anyone is interested I'll zip them up as drop in textures for the existing painting objects.

Island of Sorrow 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I have a ton of new paintings in my new FM that were saved as TGA and they look awesome ingame. If anyone is interested I'll zip them up as drop in textures for the existing painting objects.
    Thanks John, I am in desperate need of some paintings.

Um ... from 2008, 128 painting objects in my NewArt package.

Larry I'll have to check out your painting collection. I just felt like including some of my own pictures I took with my DSLR and then thought to contribute them to the Thief community.

John, you should probably make a new thread for those, as they'll probably get lost in here.

The stones in core_3\mstn4128 are too big. The image could be scaled down, though there would be more repetitions.

The replacement for core_3/grst7128 is one of Vigil's textures, scaled down and made green. My current FM uses the original version of that texture, so it looks a bit odd having the two together.

The contrast between the replaced textures and the original ones has already been mentioned (sharp textures right next to soft ones). I think a better strategy would be to release these updates for FM authors to use as they see fit.
    Last edited by R Soul; 10th May 2013 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    John, you should probably make a new thread for those, as they'll probably get lost in here.
    Thanks for the tip NV! I'll probably release them when I release LS5.

Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast