TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon texture packs?

I think it would be wise, to maximize the opportunity with the application of high practical standards...considering that we're doing this project one time and the results will be fixed, with an ever-expanding availability of memory in the future.

Personally, I would argue in favor of saving the highest resolution versions we have, and then give instructions for those on lower powered machines how to re-size them using Irfanview and adjust the material files.

Or we could provide two packs, high resolution and ultra high resolution.

Another issue is consistency. Wouldn't it a bit look off if a door such as that one is 1024*2048 while a big set piece such as the cathedral entrance is 'only' 1024*1024? It's much easier to get high resolution sources on small surfaces, yet it is the big ones that actually need the high resolution the most. The Catch 22 of texturing...

But I've tried to remedy this particular case a bit by going into try hard mode and making a cathedral entrance that might just hold up to scrutiny at 2048*2048.

(Thumbnail. Clicky clicky.)

Doorwy2 is much harder since it doesn't have any cracks to obscure the low resolution of some of the photo sources. Then again, it might not be quite as necessary; where is doorwy2 used?

Doorwy2 is featured in The Haunted Cathedral. When you drop that drawbridge with a well aimed arrow, there's a stable to your left as you cross. Just above that there's a door that leads to an old building populated by Hammer Haunts.
    This is where you find The Serpentyle Torc.
    Have a "looky-loo" on the hallways back wall.:
    :

I found the bolts on my bafford\b13 too monotonic. Here's the new version:

The original photograph is of the door and its surroundings, and it was fine to use the LGS texture on a door because it was so low-res.
    With this ultra-high fidelity version of the texture you can clearly see the outline and hinges of the actual door in the picture, making it look like this is a door with a smaller door set into it.

I think we need to go over it and edit out the hinges and maybe clean up the seams around the door itself, so that it looks more like a panel set into the door, rather than an actual smaller door as it is in reality.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 13th Nov 2013 at 12:20.

How's this?

(Click.)

In addition to the hinges, I also removed the superfluous doorknob.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Looks great to me!

dungeon\grid
    terrain_scale 64

Highlights are a bit messy. Anything else to improve?

EDIT:

dungeon\bars
    terrain_scale 64

Replicating color compression effects in hires with all colors is an interesting challenge. Retaining that classic gritty look is difficult but rewarding .
    Last edited by Wille; 14th Nov 2013 at 15:23.

Very good, but I think the resolution will be a bit high for such small original textures. I think for small things, a better technique is to do what MaxED did with the ironwal texture in this post. The original texture was just one plate. The new one still increases resolution but has more plates, so when they're seen on a large surface there's less repetition. That's especially important for textures with damage or wear and tear.

I found a source for one of the tapestry textures (obj\txt\banner6 and fam\rescor_2\banner05):

Full size: http://www.ahoy-boats.info/archives/.../RichardII.jpg
    Original website: http://www.ahoy-boats.info/archives/...g/2008_08.html
    (Richard II and the Duke of Bolingbroke at Flint Castle in 1399)

I wrote an OpenGL texture comparison tool.

You give it two paths (configured in the .ini file): one to the fam folder containing replacement textures, and one to the fam folder containing the originals.
    It should be able to read pretty much any image format, and understands .mtl files (only the terrain_scale and tile_factor properties.)

It lets you pick textures to compare from a list and crossfades between the two.

Edit: Updated to add some sanity checks (new/old texture dimensions match and are powers of 2)

Attached Files
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 17th Nov 2013 at 09:46.

Updated the texture comparison tool to add some sanity checking (old and new texture dimensions should match, and be powers of 2.)

MaxED, why do you keep linking images at 805x805? I can't steal those.

Also, why are there these strange purple books in rescor_1\books01a and rescor_1\books1b?

Last edited by Nameless Voice; 17th Nov 2013 at 10:11.

Did some more dungeon textures today:

dungeon\dunfloor

dungeon\dunston2

dungeon\dunstone

That brings us up to 50% on Dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    MaxED, why do you keep linking images at 805x805? I can't steal those.
    Dang it... Turns out Google Photo automatically resizes images to fit into page, and image links contain those settings... I've fixed the links for all my textures since my last full pack upload.

Also, why are there these strange purple books in rescor_1\books01a and rescor_1\books1b?

Yeah, those are a bit too far away from the originals... I'll redo those, sooner or later...

Also, here are updated versions of mine\MTRACK02

and mine\MTRACK03

And here's the full pack.

core_2\wdplanks is not seamless.

And it's not just the vertical edges of the image - there are visible seams in the middle of the image too.

Core_2/Parkay64

terrain_scale 128

Don't forget to check if you've got the rest of the stuff here: http://s64.photobucket.com/user/DasM...n/library/Core
    The preview site at least still shows some of the old "Quasi-Canon Pack" textures that I've since improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrobob View Post
    Core_2/Parkay64
    terrain_scale 128
    Surely you mean:
    terrain_scale 64
    tile_factor 2

We should always use tile_factor instead of a mismatched terrain_scale, because tile_factor works on objects with texture replacement props.

I'll check that album for updates.

Re. Core_2/Parkay64.

Do we know where that is used? My expectation is that a parquet floor is a highly polished wood flooring used only in the best of homes. In game, the 64x64 scale of the texture tends to blur, making it look more polished. This looks very rough, poorly installed, and not maintained. Is that appropriate to usage?

Here is the latest version of the EP2, including everything done so far.

EP2.crf (400mb)

core_2\wdplanks is not seamless.
    Oops... Fixed:

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Re. Core_2/Parkay64.

Do we know where that is used? My expectation is that a parquet floor is a highly polished wood flooring used only in the best of homes. In game, the 64x64 scale of the texture tends to blur, making it look more polished. This looks very rough, poorly installed, and not maintained. Is that appropriate to usage?
    If I remember correctly, in TG it's used on TABLES for the most part...
    Oh, and I think I've forgot to share this: Thief Gold Texture Usage

In T2 it's used in Garrett's apartment (miss5 & miss8) and another apartment by the cemetery in Trace the Courier (miss8). It's also a ceiling texture for the two towers in Eavesdropping (miss6), though it's not a good choice. I think that use should be disregarded.

So it's not used by the very rich, just like in real life.

can't wait to see Civicb2 and Civicbui families in high res

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27121722273233343536373839404142475257 ... LastLast