TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDM FM: In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20)

bikerdude

TDM FM: In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20)

Announcing the release of the first William Steele mission!

Summary

In the North is a mansion heist that takes place outside the town of Braedon, north of Bridgeport. William Steele is an adventurer from Bridgeport who has been away several years, working as a soldier/guard for one Lord Bascombe at his castle in Braedon. Lord Harckoff, a nasty fellow who lives in a renovated Builder church nearby, sees Bascombe as a threat to his shady business, and has put a price on Bascombe's head. Steele decides to visit Harckoff one night to see what he can do to prevent Bascombe's death.

The William Steele Missions

In the North is the first of several Steele missions. Altogether they'll tell a story of corruption, greed, and revenge. At some point, I'll start packaging them as a campaign, in addition to the single missions.

Download links
    -bloodgate.com
    -fidcal.com
    -mediafire.com

Build Time
    about 1 year

Thanks
    - The TDM team for creating such a terrific platform for storytelling and stealth gaming.
    - Betatesters: Bikerdude, Springheel, and AluminumHaste for beta testing, especially at a time when we were all busy dealing with the final phase of TDM 1.08.
    - Translators: (Smallman, Overmann, and Sengu) are hard at work on translations for various languages, so thanks go out to them as well. Localized versions will be available after they're completed and tested.

Known issues
    - This is a large non-linear mission. To ease the burden on slower systems, consider shutting doors behind you as you go. If you experience low frame rates, please consult the Performance Tweaks page on the Wiki.

Performance tweaks
    - For very low end PCs I recommend the following settings: V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower, advanced settings are simple/default & Post processing of disabled.
    - If anyone is having perf. issues with TDM missions, then they can put the following cvars into their Darkmod.cfg file, this will improve the framerate and stutter/chop when in-game, but may increase loading times a little -

Code:
    image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
    image_useNormalCompression "2"
    image_useAllFormats "1"
    image_useCompression "1"
    image_preload "1"
    IMPORTANT
    - This mission requires TDM 1.08 or later.
    - Repeat after me, "Read and explore, Read and explore"
    - Most Importantly, Enjoy!

Screenshots
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	1412 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen007.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen004.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	1413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen001.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1410 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen008.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen005.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1411 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen009.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	1418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen006.jpg 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1415 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hall.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1420
    Last edited by bikerdude; 26th Dec 2012 at 08:20.

Oo, I love that wallpaper.

Congratulations on the release, grayman!

Clearinghouse
    Congrats on the release, grayman!

bikerdude
    On a personal note I have to say this is a stunning piece of art by Gman, this is by way and a far the best mission for the darkmod I have ever had the distinct pleasure of playing. I won't be surprised if this becomes most people's favourite TDM mission of all time. The bar has been raised again!

I am downloading now I just finished Old Habits that I just found at The Dark Mod, and now I have another one to play!!! YEEHAW!!

is start it, go through missiondescription & the goal, click start mission, the loading screen appears and then it sends me back to the mission goals but without seeable text, i click again on "start mission" loading screen come up again for some seconds and then sends me back to the goals......i played all dark mod fms and never had a similar problem......can someone help?

I had the pleasure of beta-testing this mission. Rather than type up a specific recommendation, here's part of the text I sent grayman after finishing it:

I have to say that the entire reason I started working on the mod was a selfish desire to play missions like this one. It was incredibly rich and satisfying on several levels. It has the visual beauty of the best of Biker's missions along with gameplay that rivals Sotha's, and a level of immersion and "reality" that I haven't yet seen in any other mission. The moments of discovery, of truly feeling like you're somewhere you're not supposed to be, and of piecing together the lives of the characters around you, are all exceptional.

This mission is going to blow people's socks off, and the idea that it's the beginning of an extended story makes it all the more exciting.
    If you've ever even thought about playing TDM, you owe it to yourself to try this mission.

Congrats Looks really really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Supremcee View Post
    is start it, go through missiondescription & the goal, click start mission, the loading screen appears and then it sends me back to the mission goals but without seeable text, i click again on "start mission" loading screen come up again for some seconds and then sends me back to the goals......i played all dark mod fms and never had a similar problem......can someone help?
    Do you have 1.08? If you don't you will have to update. Everything worked fine for me I just finished and it is AMAZING !!!!!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played through this mission tonight. Loot found: 4856. Time taken:3 hours and 45 minutes. Loved every moment of it.

The fact you get a little cutscene at the end showing the outcome of your choices was awesome.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The fact you get a little cutscene at the end showing the outcome of your choices was awesome.
    Yeah, Gman is a very talented person. Not only is this just the first mission in his campaign, but he also did and does a shit load of coding work on the mod itself, 1.08 would not have been released this soon had it not been for his efforts.

Masterpiece!

This mission it's really awesome. One of the best FM for TDM.

I strongly suggest this FM to anyone who want to try TDM.

The work done by Grayman it's incredible (also on the mod itself; this release, 1.08, it's a huge step forward).

This is the first mission I could play without a lurching computer. I have TDM set to 1920 x 1080 with everything cranked and its running like butter. This is a great mission so far so much to explore.

One question though

I have the shiny skull and in Grimoires crypt, but it is not ticking off the objective when I drop it in with his bones. Am I using the correct skull (one in glass box) or am I missing something?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah you're missing something, look around for readables to find clues. Also, where to place the object took me a while to figure out. Hint: not in the Chapel.

Thanks for not letting me get away with using a complete spoiler. I was able to find what I needed after reading more clearly.

Classical Master 2008
    To reiterate what I have written on the TDM forums, this is one of the best missions for the mod, and a "classic" among the ranks of The Heart of Lone Salvation, A Score to Settle and the NHAT campaign. It is a carefully planned visual feast, but what is more, it feels completely natural, something "real" instead of planned for a game. By that, I mean that everything had a logical function, whether it was architecture, hidden loot or plot elements. Also for this reason, there were no puzzles which felt frustrating -- just thinking about the environment cleared things up, and I was able to proceed. The organic design also manifests in how the location has its own story and how that impacts architecture and layout.

If you would like to play a complex, beautifully realised mansion mission, this is the one to try.

I've finished this mission (and only missed 180 loot), but I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to get into the burned-out area?

Also, is it possible to access the upper area? There's a door up a flight of stairs off of the church with a note pinned to it that says the upper areas are closed, but that just seems like a tantalizing hint that the upper areas are, in fact, accessible through other means. I accessed the attic area near the library, as well as the top of the belltower, but that's all.

--Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFantom View Post
    I've finished this mission (and only missed 180 loot), but I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to get into the burned-out area?
    I don't think so - looks like a empty space with noclip

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFantom View Post

Also, is it possible to access the upper area? There's a door up a flight of stairs off of the church with a note pinned to it that says the upper areas are closed, but that just seems like a tantalizing hint that the upper areas are, in fact, accessible through other means. I accessed the attic area near the library, as well as the top of the belltower, but that's all.

--Jennifer

With a chair or something, it's possible to go up into the church upper stories. I don't recall if you could use the stair or not, because i never did. But when i say 'upper' i mean that it's possible to go into the beams of the church ceiling.

That was awesome Grayman, looking forward to part 2.

Thanks to everyone who's played. Glad you enjoyed it.

The next Steele mission, Home Again, is scheduled for release sometime next Spring. (He said hopefully.)

I guess I am not as "thiefy" as everyone else. I have yet to find the catacombs, or whereever it is that I am supposed to drop the skull (I have the skull from the display) I am certain that I have been in every room, picked up and read every note, but cannot determine my next step.

A note told you about a candleholder in the owner's private chapel room, so that's the next place you could look to make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    A note told you about a candleholder in the owner's private chapel room, so that's the next place you could look to make progress.
    That was what I needed, thanks. Great mission, the cutscene was a cool bonus.

Ok, I'm sure I'm missing something. I got the dirty skull from Grim's sarcophagus, but where am I supposed to drop it? I can't find Grimmore's sarcophagus anywhere (it's not in the catacombs, that's for sure), and when I drop it on the one in the chapel with the statue nothing happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast